Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to sailing - Questions?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Yeah, that'd be great. Any particular preparation I should do or anything I need to buy?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pillphil wrote: »
    Yeah, that'd be great. Any particular preparation I should do or anything I need to buy?

Nope most boats will have spare life jackets and runners are fine footwear wise, let me check for you and I'll pm you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Stheno wrote: »
    Nope most boats will have spare life jackets and runners are fine footwear wise, let me check for you and I'll pm you?

Brilliant, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Poor dinghies, getting a bad rep in here :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Conchir wrote: »
    Poor dinghies, getting a bad rep in here :(:D
    Well in my case it's not the boat that's the problem, it's the sailor :D:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

cant remember last time i was in a dinghy though it was probably last century

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

@Pillphill – anyone who says “I am available Saturdays” and turns up on time always gets a welcome.
    neris wrote: »
    cant remember last time i was in a dinghy though it was probably last century
    The last time I sailed a dinghy most definitely was the last century, when I taught my kids to sail in a Mirror; the last time I raced a dinghy was in the early 70’s in Dunmore East, a Fireball event (East Coast Championships maybe?)
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oooh, dunno about this!

It always remains someone's call - but not necessarily the helm. I've been on boats where the helm considers his/her only job to be to sail the boat as fast as they can on whatever point of sail they're on. It's the crew's job to figure out tactics, lines to be taken, avoiding other boats etc etc - the helm just follows instructions and sails fast.

Now obviously you need a very tight crew, that you trust 100%, for that to work.

But there's many ways to skin a cat (or is it a pig?).

But I agree with you 110% about the dinghies
    I think that is a good post because it brings in a lot of what should be done on any racing yacht. Without wishing to sound like an old f@rt, I’ve always believed that crew should be encouraged, involved and given opportunity – give a newbie the helm to sail out to the starting line, or after the finish to sail back to the mooring. No huge pressure, but gives experience, a sense of reward/merit and gets him/her used to sailing in proximity to other craft.
    Who does what and when is ‘horses for courses’ really, and depends on the size of the boat, the ownership structure and the length of the race. What I meant about calling the shots was that “the Skipper is the Skipper”, in charge, and responsible for lives and safety. The final decision on everything is his/her call. However, on a very big boat the skipper might be the owner and not necessarily be the helm (who might be just a ‘hired jockey’). Similarly it might be acceptable for the tactician under the ‘boat rules’ to call the shots. The roles/rules need to be defined. BUT a boat sailed by a committee DOES NOT WORK.
    I agree that the helm should concentrate on getting the best out of the boat (just as the skipper should get the best out of the crew) and any good helm would /should take a break and regularly exchange roles e.g. downwind. Beyond 30 mins it is very hard to retain intense concentration. In Dublin Bay the helm invariably (still?) is the skipper and IMO a good skipper should never encourage ‘advice’ but always ask for opinion – “Do you think we will lay the mark with this tide?” or “Is X getting better wind?” - questions like those (a) give an increased sense of involvement to a crew (b) increases their feeling of worth/skills acceptance, (c) improve their concentration and (d) allows the helm to concentrate on getting the best out of the boat while the crew watches what is going on. But it is the skipper’s call to act on the info provided. And when there is discussion the boat stops to listen.
    Off now for my Ovaltine!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Does anyone tell me the start times of the racing in DL? I would love to crew but weekends are a no go due to work. Mid week evenings would work if I could make it there after work. I'm a big believer in 'if you say you will be there then be there on time' so wouldn't commit unless I was sure I could make it.

I'm a member in Blessington and learning on dinghies and loving it so far. I would like a spin on a big boat to compare the differences.

Thanks OSI

There are also two winter series, the Turkey Shoot in November/December (usually 7 Sundays) and the Spring Chicken in February/March (usually 5 or 6 Sundays) - very popular, up to 80 boats enter the TS, maybe about 50 the SC. Starts are around 10am on Sunday mornings and you're in by 1ish, so not a whole day lost like the regular Saturday racing.

It's much less formal (but still competitive!) than the summer racing and is great fun.

Be a nice introduction to bigger-boat racing if that time/day happened to suit you!

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Thursday races start at 7pm at least, but unfortunately you've missed that series as it just finished up this week. Not sure if they're starting another weekday evening series for the autumn and winter, probably not with the nights ending earlier and earlier.

Also, just to correct something in this (which may have been a typo/autocorrect, but which may make a difference to you)

On Thursdays the first warning signal is at 1835, not 7pm! I know quite a few of the bigger boats (who go off first) struggle to get crew out to the clubs/marina in time - it's usually on the boat for 5.30. Last start on a Thursday is 1915.

First warning on Tuesdays is 1845, but there are much smaller fleets out for that.

Apologies to OSI, but just said I'd clarify that!

I think I'm out of luck. I work different days all the time, sometimes 7 days per week so can't commit to any day time races and it would be at least 7pm before I could get to DL after work so that's evenings buggered as well. Might have to buy a boat if I want a taste of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

hanksy123 wrote: »
    I think I'm out of luck. I work different days all the time, sometimes 7 days per week so can't commit to any day time races and it would be at least 7pm before I could get to DL after work so that's evenings buggered as well. Might have to buy a boat if I want a taste of it!
    The evening series is pretty much done this year, in about a month and a bit the 'Turkey shoot' series will start, that is run on Sunday mornings throughout the winter and is great craic. If you are interested, there are always people looking for crew.

Steve wrote: »
    The evening series is pretty much done this year, in about a month and a bit the 'Turkey shoot' series will start, that is run on Sunday mornings throughout the winter and is great craic. If you are interested, there are always people looking for crew.

I work most Sundays so it's a no go for me! Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Don't forget that a number of places have pay-as-you-go options, where you can rent a boat as you become more competent.

Fingal Sailing school even does one-on-one sessions where its just you and the instructor at a time that suits you. All gear is provided too.

Advertisement