Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I haven't played Super Probotector but it is the Euro version of Contra 3 right?

No because the ghey robots negate the awesome. Real men play contra as the shirtless muscle bound hunks Lance and Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I've almost exclusively been playing motorstorm rc on the vita. Bought uncharted, wipeout, Rayman and more, and this 6e psn game is totally dominating my gaming time on the system, or any system for that matter. Plays a lot like off road and micro machines, with the addition of leaderboards. Really great stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still think its a very expensive paperweight in the making, just wait a few months, that's what happened to my PSP.

Excluding the DS, my psp's gotten more use than any of this gen's consoles. If the Vita matches it for quality games I'll be content. Anyway the game's also on PS3 (buy it once and get it on both consoles), with cross-linked leaderboards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I won't buy a Vita until there's good games on it and so far the games have not impressed me in the slightest.

Unfortunately Gravity Rush looks ****ing amazing :(

• Advertisement

Played the demo of it before the launch, was looking forward to it before that but it totally blew me away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh Gravity Rush isn't out yet? Was wondering why everyone wasn't going mad for it! Easily the strongest (and briefest) demo at the launch event, albeit hard to tell what the rest of it would play like.
    ciderdude wrote:
    I still think its a very expensive paperweight in the making, just wait a few months, that's what happened to my PSP.

Stop hating on the PSP, yo! Ys Seven / Oath in Felghana, Disgaea Portable, P3P, Peace Walker, Jeanne D'Arc, Rock Band Unplugged, GoW: Ghost of Sparta (a genuinely good God of War game, unlike the overrated GoW 3)... it's one hell of a console.

Still loving Kid Icarus Uprising, which is the best game Nintendo have made in half a decade (yeah, I went there). A huge amount of content too:
    like Mario 3D Land, the game is at least double the length you expect
    . Totally worth enduring the hand cramps for! The tongue-in-cheek meta-story - with constant 8-bit nods and winks - is terrific fun too. Also, a beyond amazing soundtrack that makes the levels feel even more epic than they already are. Is that an Ennio Morricone influence I hear?

Mass Effect 3 just finished (lulz at the ending), so probs back to the Last Story when I have a bit of time.

Speaking of Ys Seven I was looking at videogame music this morning on youtube and there was a song I really liked but the game name was in japanese. They were showing footage in the background and I was thinking to myself how amazing it looked, the combat was so fast and insane and it looked very like a Falcom game. I went looking to see what it was because it looked so amazing. Turns out it was Ys Seven and I already own it! :) I have to finish Xenoblade quick so I can play it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I won't buy a Vita until there's good games on it and so far the games have not impressed me in the slightest.

Unfortunately Gravity Rush looks ****ing amazing :(

I'm the same, its a bit of pain really, I'm not at all impressed by the £DS hardware but really like the look of a lot of the software whereas I love the Vita Hardware but amn't interested in the slightest bit by any of the games. if only there was some sort of magical crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Can't get enough of Nazca goodness atm, esp. In The Hunt.

• Advertisement

I do love that game. Picked it up the J-NTSC version for the Saturn last year. I was surprised how 'Metal Slug'-like it felt, even knowing the fact that it was made by the same team that went on to make those games.

I don't think any other company other than IREM/Nazca does such beautiful detailed sprite work. It's such a shame that 2D game nowadays go for the Flash based browser game look with characters and backgrounds composed of big blocks of filled colour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They really are the Ghibli of the game world, their stuff is just stuffed full of delightful details, the hand painted/drawn backgrounds, the trails of the torpedoes spiraling around, so many new little things every time I play In the Hunt or any of the Metal Slug titles.
    I wonder if there is a chance they might make some new IP, non-MS or even an In the Hunt sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing Cotton on the Saturn at the mo and have to say it looks fantastic, superb use of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I love In The Hunt, but man is it a hard game. Your hitbox is massive and some of the things you've to get through are tiny.

Plus the damn Saturn slowdown would drive you nuts. It's one PCB I really have to get.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They really are the Ghibli of the game world, their stuff is just stuffed full of delightful details, the hand painted/drawn backgrounds, the trails of the torpedoes spiraling around, so many new little things every time I play In the Hunt or any of the Metal Slug titles.
    I wonder if there is a chance they might make some new IP, non-MS or even an In the Hunt sequel?

Funny you should mention Ghibli, there's a Metal Slug artbook available in Japan and Hayao Miyazaki is mentioned as a massive influence on the art in that game and they directly reference a few of his artbooks. I don't think Nazca are still around unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Super Mario Bros. on the SNES (from Super Mario All-Stars).

The 8th World is killing me :(

Also throwing on Super R-Type from time to time, but it feels very masochistic.

Just play R-type 2 instead. It's a whore but at least it has checkpoints unlike the crappy SNES version.

Master of the Universe

Just play R-type 2 instead. It's a whore but at least it has checkpoints unlike the crappy SNES version.

I think we had this conversation before.

No save points doesn't make a game crap. It makes you crap at the game :P

Go play Ninja Gaiden and tell me the last boss doesn't ruin the game because of a lack of checkpoints, then we can have a proper discussion :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You finished Ninja Gaiden using save states didn't you? I'd consider that cheating. Go finish the game properly :p

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Just "finished" Dragon Quest 9. The story did nothing for me and I can't say I even gave the end credits my undivided attention but the gameplay was great and the grinding was made as painless and optional as I've seen in a JRPG, so its got me thinking I should consider giving some of the earlier DQ games a try.

There's a ton of post game content too and free DLC (unlocks really). Too bad no one over the age of the average Jedward fan would want to be seen playing it in public.

I'm looking for someone to play DQ9 and trade maps!

You should definitely check out the rest of the series. They are much more story focused. DQ8 is one of the best JRPGs around and I've heard good things about DQ4, 5 and 6, especially 5 which is regarded as probably the finest RPG ever made.

DQ 1 is a bit simple and I've not played 2 or 3 but I heard the twist at the end of that trilogy is fantastic.

Heard good and bad things about DQ7. It's meant to be way too long, If you thought FF13 was bad about being a long winded tutorial this game doesn;t let you level up for 2 hours and it's 20 hours in before you even gain the job system.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I'm looking for someone to play DQ9 and trade maps!

You should definitely check out the rest of the series. They are much more story focused. DQ8 is one of the best JRPGs around and I've heard good things about DQ4, 5 and 6, especially 5 which is regarded as probably the finest RPG ever made.

DQ 1 is a bit simple and I've not played 2 or 3 but I heard the twist at the end of that trilogy is fantastic.

Heard good and bad things about DQ7. It's meant to be way too long, If you thought FF13 was bad about being a long winded tutorial this game doesn;t let you level up for 2 hours and it's 20 hours in before you even gain the job system.

Heh. Talked a friend into getting DQ9, and they agree on condition I could get a cart for €9 (€30 in the shops? I got mine for €22 on special when it was only months old mutter mutter).

Got one for €8.50, including PnP. Arrived today. Gonna read up on DS codes and the like tomorrow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MP is a pain in the arse in DQIX, alas. Played it with a friend a few times but the time you mess finish up putting party members away and getting together in the same place... It is fun when you get there, just a lot of effort.

I've played a few DQ (IV, VIII and IX) in-depth but never finished one :pac: DQIX is good, but definitely suffers from the lack of a more coherent story, and it's a real shame they did away with individual party members in favour of customisation. Feels a bit hollow as a result.

Deus Ex on the 360 = pain in the arse.
    Think I'll go back to Sine Mora and Chibi Robo instead....

All this talk of DQ reminds me I have a barely started DQVIII and Rogue Galaxy sitting there, as well as a Rule of Rose needing to be restarted, my old save game for that is on a toasted PS3 60gb!

Super Mario Bros. on the SNES (from Super Mario All-Stars).

The 8th World is killing me :(

No way. I was at the point where i could nearly do it in my sleep when i owned a nes. The last level is a pain till you figure out which pipes to use.

Do you know how to get into the wierd endless underwater level through the secret warp zone, the one that just keeps repeating forever till the clock runs down and you die? World -1.

Not sure if that made it into the mario all stars version. Here's a vid how to do it, try it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyoBWN8EVaQ&feature=watch_response

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I keep using a walkthrough for Broken Sword 1, and every time it's either "oooh, why didn't I think of that?" OR "what, that made no sense!"

Got through the slide puzzles by myself though! :)

• Advertisement

Wait until you get to that ****ing goat!

Advertisement