Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The vacant No. 3 shirt.

O'Sullivan: Too soft.

Philly: Too tough.

Discuss. Feel free to add in a few other candidates and their pros and cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Killian O'Gara suffered a bad ankle break last year, didn't he? Is he still recovering from it, or is he college tied?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Michael Dara isn't mobile enough to play full back. He'd be skinned alive if he had to mark an agile lad.

DoctaDee's assessment of Murray matches what i remember of him. Quick and positive with the ball in front of him but inexperienced (meaning not great) when the play moved around him.

I'd like to see Small get the chance at some stage but something tells Gavin is going to play a line of corner backs all season. KOB, Mikey Fitz, McMahon, Cooper and Daly in competition for the three spots. Its not a bad option tbf. AOS got nowhere against McMahon last year, Kerry play with mobile inside forwards (Donaghy is done), Tyrone run the ball from deep and Donegal let Michael Murphy play half back or some other ridiculous position.;) Teams won't be eager to kick long either with COS patrolling in front.

Losing O' Carroll is bad because he's a bloody good player but it doesn't open us up to a tactical nightmare or anything. We've lads eager and well capable of filling his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Michael Dara isn't mobile enough to play full back. He'd be skinned alive if he had to mark an agile lad.

THB I think Rory is less than mobile too, we've seen him exposed a lot before , he comes into his own on the big lads.

Who better to engage in a spot of neck grabbing with Star!!

With my dodgy back i watched a bit of TV both Mayo games again last week. Philly was far better in the second game when ROC was behind him.
    For the potential penno call in the AI it was MDNA that cleared the ball, Star was never getting it anyway.

So for full back
    Not cooper
    Maybe Small
    Not O'Sullivan
    Fitzsimons maybe
    Philly I'd say no, too dodgy and he's our best man marker now too.
    Culligan maybe
    MBMA depending on the opposition, maybe
    Curley I'm.Not convinced
    Bastic, no

Fitzsimons woukd be my best call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Killian O'Gara suffered a bad ankle break last year, didn't he? Is he still recovering from it, or is he college tied?

No PD he's back in the fold with DIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'd have to say that Costello is making the right noises that he's learning the trade - the year out of the set up last year may prove to be a blessing, because as supporters I think we're all too quick wanting to fast track the successful 21's into the senior team, it worked with Jack Mc and to a lesser extent with Mannion and Kilkenny.

Ah hear. I can't agree with that. Only one player can win POTY, but both Jack and Ciaran had excellent breakthrough seasons in 2013 despite a quiet final for both, and both had brilliant seasons last year resulting in Celtic crosses and deserved All Star awards for both. I'm not suggesting Jack didn't have a better season than Ciaran, but if I was writing that line I'd suggest that it worked with Jack Mc and Kilkenny and to a lesser extent Mannion.

Bias, what bias?

Past30Now wrote: »
    Ah hear. I can't agree with that. Only one player can win POTY, but both Jack and Ciaran had excellent breakthrough seasons in 2013 despite a quiet final for both, and both had brilliant seasons last year resulting in Celtic crosses and deserved All Star awards for both. I'm not suggesting Jack didn't have a better season than Ciaran, but if I was writing that line I'd suggest that it worked with Jack Mc and Kilkenny and to a lesser extent Mannion.

Bias, what bias?

Ha :rolleyes: .. maybe I worded it wrong .. your man CK is now as integral to the Dublin set up as Jack Mc .. I just thought that in their break through year their impact waned as the year went on ..

DoctaDee wrote:
    Ha .. maybe I worded it wrong .. your man CK is now as integral to the Dublin set up as Jack Mc .. I just thought that in their break through year their impact waned as the year went on ..

CK had a good game vs mayo in 2012 and has been fairly consistent bar a tendency to drop shots short. Jack faded later in the championship for a couple of years in a row before last year where he seemed to bulk up and improve significantly.

Stoner wrote: »
    CK had a good game vs mayo in 2012 and has been fairly consistent bar a tendency to drop shots short. Jack faded later in the championship for a couple of years in a row before last year where he seemed to bulk up and improve significantly.

Yeah Stoner this indeed would tend to back up my point. Minor football and to a marginally lesser extent U21 have been based for years on free flowing and fast paced football, while there certainly is a physical element to the game by and large the football remained unhindered and was really a good advertisement for the core skills. In some respects you may find that this is part of the reason that unheralded teams like Longford, Tipperary & Roscommon to name a few flourish at these grades.

To take young lads conditioned to this type of football and expect an immediate impact at senior level is asking a bit too much. The "systems", the crowding of the shooter, double marking and sheer physicality of the game leave some of the brighter prospects all at sea on their introduction. The fact that Jack Mc, Kilkenny, Costello & Mannion made any impact in their debut seasons is more a testament of their potential than a reflection of their ability to adjust to the rigors of the senior game.

We've remarked here previously on the developing body shape of some of the younger lads, McCaffrey, Costello and certainly Kilkenny (he used his time out with the cruciate particularly well), as the focus changes to improving their physical conditioning we get a better idea of whether their underage football talent can be merged with the demands of the senior game

We've remarked here previously on the developing body shape of some of the younger lads, McCaffrey, Costello and certainly Kilkenny (he used his time out with the cruciate particularly well), as the focus changes to improving their physical conditioning we get a better idea of whether their underage football talent can be merged with the demands of the senior game

Costello is heading into his 4th year of involvement with the seniors, isn't he? I know his past involvement has been interrupted by time with the U21's and a couple of unfortunate injuries, but he is far from being the rookie now, that Mannion, CK and McCaffrey were in 2013. In the Wexford and DCU games, I didn't see any noticeable change in his physique. He could do with it imo, as he gets knocked on his arse pretty quickly. Whatever Jack Flash did worked a charm. He is a good bit bigger and stronger now, but he hasn't lost a bit of his blinding pace. He seems to have gotten even faster, which pleases me no end, when certain parties like to throw the "manufactured gym monkeys" tag at us. :D

Anyone off to Longford on Sunday? Looks like they may get a blasht of the white stuff over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Anyone off to Longford on Sunday? Looks like they may get a blasht of the white stuff over the weekend.

Yeah I'm more than likely gonna start my air miles account on Sunday .. weather dependent really as ya say ... I'm assuming it's pay at the gate in Pearse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Yeah I'm more than likely gonna start my air miles account on Sunday .. weather dependent really as ya say ... I'm assuming it's pay at the gate in Pearse ?

Mate from Longford told me stand is closed so if you are bring kids, elderly parents or are susceptible to the cold, bring the wooly hats and flasks!

Bonniedog wrote:
    Mate from Longford told me stand is closed so if you are bring kids, elderly parents or are susceptible to the cold, bring the wooly hats and flasks!

We're heading there looking forward to it. Last game had some bite to it

Only 2 more sleeps. :D

I've only been to Pearse Stadium once. My memory of it is that it has a large, wide terrace opposite the covered stand which would hold a lot of people. Decent sized end terraces also. Teams enter the pitch from that terrace side and that's where the subs and mgt/selectors stand too. There is a wall and a wire fence between them and spectators, so there'll be no getting right on top of them, the way you can do at some grounds and evesdrop on their conversations. ;)

I can't remember what the parking situ is though, or if the ground is in the middle of town (like Navan & Newbridge) or is a couple of km outside it. I don't think it's in the middle of town. I think its near one of the bypass roundabouts that go around the town. Anyone remember?

Only 2 more sleeps. :D

I've only been to Pearse Stadium once. My memory of it is that it has a large, wide terrace opposite the covered stand which would hold a lot of people. Decent sized end terraces also. Teams enter the pitch from that terrace side and that's where the subs and mgt/selectors stand too. There is a wall and a wire fence between them and spectators, so there'll be no getting right on top of them, the way you can do at some grounds and evesdrop on their conversations. ;)

I can't remember what the parking situ is though, or if the ground is in the middle of town (like Navan & Newbridge) or is a couple of km outside it. I don't think it's in the middle of town. I think its near one of the bypass roundabouts that go around the town. Anyone remember?

Only know it from coming up from the centre of the town. It is about a ten minute walk from the big hotel on the main street (Greville Arms?). Was great atmosphere there in 2006 but won't be as big a crowd or as warm on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

If it's the Greville Arms you're in trouble. That's Mullingar :-)

It is near one of the bypass roundabouts,the one with the McDonalds.

If it's the Greville Arms you're in trouble. That's Mullingar :-)

It is near one of the bypass roundabouts,the one with the McDonalds.

Right! All those midland towns are same to me :-) Directions still correct from whatever hotel it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We're heading there looking forward to it. Last game had some bite to it

Do you enjoy getting out of Dublin for the games, Stoner?

Mates of mine of the blue persuasion often recall 2001 and getting the train to the matches in the summer, said it was a great time.

We don't have these 'train' things where we come from unfortunately. A minibus with leg space Michael O'Leary would be proud of. Doesnt have the same ring to it!

Isn't the Greville Arms, the hotel that Michael Collins gal pal ran? No flies on me when it come to my Longford history. :D

Cavan got a lot of snow last night and I am 78.4% certain that Longford is next door to Cavan. I hope we all don't melt. :(

Hurlers named for Sunday v Laois

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYyWoHjWQAEsDEy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Isn't the Greville Arms, the hotel that Michael Collins gal pal ran? No flies on me when it come to my Longford history. :D

Cavan got a lot of snow last night and I am 78.4% certain that Longford is next door to Cavan. I hope we all don't melt. :(

Hurlers named for Sunday v Laois

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYyWoHjWQAEsDEy.jpg

It is in Granard, which should be avoided like the plague. Kitty Kiernan came from there is right.

There is a hotel of the same name in Mullingar. The one more closely associated with GAA.

• Advertisement

It is in Granard, which should be avoided like the plague. Kitty Kiernan came from there is right.

There is a hotel of the same name in Mullingar. The one more closely associated with GAA.

I know it's in Granard. Hence my :D

You couldn't get into the Honours history class in my school, unless you could quote "In Great Haste" ad verbatim. Bit creepy I thought, but sure there you go.

Do you enjoy getting out of Dublin for the games, Stoner?

Yes it's always good Nidgeweasel, the games in Kerry are good as there is always some bite.
    Where as games in cork are usually dull in my experience

All joking aside the game in your own back yard when we secured a draw that ended with Donegal going down was a super game in the league as there was something to play for

Derry have a great crowd and the area around the pitch reminds me a bit of Stoneybatter after an earthquake with all the hills

Newry is a nice little pitch it suits their style.

Lets not mention Omagh, bring a brolly!!

Games in laois are good too as I love that pitch. Great atmosphere there.

McHale park is a great spot too, lovely stadium, hot water in the toilets, I was told they only turn it in when the Dubs are playing, which is a nice touch! I believed every word of it.

I was too young to go to cork in 83 but I've a picture of it on the wall from magill magazine.

Essentially the games are great if there is something to play for. As soon as they start treating a games involving Dublin the same as every other game the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Could someone who travelled down today give us a summary of the game ?

Very disappointing result today and not the start you'd want to the year,but now to concentrate on retaining the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Nice result for the hurlers today beating Laois 2-20 to 1-09 in the Walsh Cup. Galway next Sunday in the semi-finals at Parnell Park at 2.

Hope there'll be a good turn out for it.

Zero hop the the pitch today. Longford took to lead and never lost it. We were cleared out at midfield, failed to get past a rough blanket defense. Scully came on and made a difference got to 9 point to 8 at one stage, Rock dropped a free short that would have levelled but Longford kicked on.

I was stuck in front of a bunch of about 6 obnoxious Dublin supporters, embarrassing, the Longford crowd were in great spirits .

The longford gaol was well deserved a ball was dropped into the square and we failed to clear it, Curley was isolated,

We got what we deserved IMO. There was talk of some of their older supporters about this being their first win vs Dublin there.

Yeah agreed Stoner - and in fairness it was a decent team we had out too. It never looked like we were gonna click for other than early part of 2nd half - well beaten, well deserved

Another handy win for the hurlers. Be great to be Galway next Sunday. Still think they will struggle without some of the retirees but the newer fellas have been brilliant so far. Not that long ago that a full strength Dublin team never mind one missing a lot of the regulars would have been pleased to have hammered Antrim and Laois.

Well, there's only one thing for it now.

Longford must be split in two.

Well, there's only one thing for it now.

Longford must be split in two.

We could always ask for a bit more money ....

• Advertisement

That's it. I'm changing my name to Bill. :D

CY9DvTkWsAAZTJT.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Where as games in cork are usually dull in my experience

Yup
    All joking aside the game in your own back yard when we secured a draw that ended with Donegal going down was a super game in the league as there was something to play for

The draw kept Kerry up. I was actually willing for us to miss that last kick. I had mates in Healy Park keeping me abreast so I was cheering on that game whilst in Ballybofey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone reccomend any B&B's for the trip to Castlebar early February?

First time in McHale..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

First time in McHale..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

BKWDR wrote: »

First time in McHale..

I'll send you a PM.

It's official folks.

We are now Kerry's bogey team.
    Nor is the midfielder sure if Dublin can now be presented as Kerry's 'bogey team' after three successive victories over the Kingdom, similar to Tyrone's trio of wins in the previous decade.

"You can't hide the fact that we've lost three times in a row to them," he admitted. "I'm not sure if they're a bogey team. They are a very good side, the same as Tyrone were in the Noughties.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/david-moran-no-sense-in-kerry-throwing-baby-out-with-bathwater-over-dubs-defeat-34383327.html

David Moran denies Dublin are Kerry’s ‘bogey’ team

Five years ago, the prospect of David Moran having to shield Kerry from suggestions that Dublin are their ‘bogey’ team would have seemed, frankly, ludicrous.

The Kerry players that prepared for the 2011 All-Ireland final had never experienced a championship defeat to Dublin and most were still warmed by the glow of their 17-point torching of Dublin in 2009.

Yesterday, however, midfielder Moran sat amongst reporters and did his best to put a positive spin on their Championship record against Dublin since that 2011 final, which reads; played three times, lost three times – including two All-Ireland finals.

In fact, the situation now is that many of Kerry’s current players have never experienced a championship win over Dublin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/david-moran-denies-dublin-are-kerry-s-bogey-team-1.2504356

Because as everyone well knows from reading the Big Yerra Book of Bull$hit and Bolloxology, when a Kerry man says something about a game/player/fixture, he is generally thinking the exact opposite. :D

• Advertisement

Wasn't there today but by all accounts a great win for the hurlers. Racking up some high scores so far this season.

Sets up a double header next week. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

corny wrote: »
    Wasn't there today but by all accounts a great win for the hurlers. Racking up some high scores so far this season.
    It was a very good performance apart from Dooley's mistake for the goal and a few bad passes here and there. Dublin were the better team on the day. The short passing and interchange play today was very good and sharp most of the time. Our shooting was much more accurate than some of the previous games too.

I was wondering if anybody else there today noticed a change in the referee at half time? It seemed to me that somebody must have said something to him at half time.

Paul Flynn interview on Setanta now.

Interviewer wasted the first part talking about Jim Gavin!

I probably would too, if I was a journalist. Not that PF isn't an interesting character in his own right, but he is a bit of an open book, compared to Gavin. Gavin is a bit of an enigma, so journalists will do what they can, do get a bit of an edge, when it comes to how he operates.

• Advertisement

Have to say that my initial pessimism regarding Dublin hurlers is starting to change. Early days obviously but that was a good win against Galway, and the younger players are coming on nicely. Treacy and Dillon are thriving and Dotsy was back to his elusive best.

Cunningham seems to have them playing to the style he wants. Long hail mary balls are gone and they are trying to supply forwards with more accurate low ball. Still have Rushie, hopefully Paul Schutte, Mark, McCaffrey, Dwyer and others to come back in as well so might do better than I thought.

Wexford will be all out to break a nearly ten year losing streak against Dublin in all senior competitions, and although they are missing some of their best players like Guiney to colleges it will be a good test. Hopefully there is a bit of a crowd in before the football.

I too am coming around to Cunningham. I met him before the DCU game and he was very nice. However, Dublin played well in last year's Walsh Cup making the final also and a lot of the young guys were playing well too. I wouldn't be reading much into Walsh Cup form, just look at the team's Kilkenny put out. Galway only have 1 thing on their mind the All-Ireland just like Kilkenny.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I too am coming around to Cunningham. I met him before the DCU game and he was very nice. However, Dublin played well in last year's Walsh Cup making the final also and a lot of the young guys were playing well too. I wouldn't be reading much into Walsh Cup form, just look at the team's Kilkenny put out. Galway only have 1 thing on their mind the All-Ireland just like Kilkenny.

Early days obviously, but winning it would be good start to a year where a lot of questions will be asked of them.

With Tipp, Galway and Cats in experimental mode for league it will be a good chance to take a few scalps. Staying up is vital, and top four guarantees play offs. At this stage of development with newer players I'd be targeting the league to be honest.

A bit of silverware would be nice although I still remember the League and Leinster Championship victories fondly.

I can't agree more. Division 1A status is vital, a look at Limerick says it all really. Tipp the first day should be a chance to catch them on the hop with their absence from the Munster League. Hopefully last week's win against Galway will help us do the same again in a few weeks. Cork in Croke Park won't be easy, Waterford in Walsh Park won't be easy and Kilkenny on the final day won't be either.

A bit of silverware would be nice although I still remember the League and Leinster Championship victories fondly.

I can't agree more. Division 1A status is vital, a look at Limerick says it all really. Tipp the first day should be a chance to catch them on the hop with their absence from the Munster League. Hopefully last week's win against Galway will help us do the same again in a few weeks. Cork in Croke Park won't be easy, Waterford in Walsh Park won't be easy and Kilkenny on the final day won't be either.

Courtesy of Kerry GAA

27030753c6d91b53c7fc5d2cc1d92420.png

Hard to know even this early in the year whether they'll line out as named - but that to my mind is a strong line up particularly around the middle 8. Further cause for concern would be Tommy Walsh at the edge of the square, we've leaked goals in every game so far and to pitch Jarlath Curley onto an admittedly misfiring Walsh might be foolhardy. I don't think with the players currently at our disposal that we can match the overall strength on paper of the Kingdom.

Its giving a muck evening so I hope the match rises above the weather - it'll be a close game either way by the looks of it

DoctaDee wrote:
    Hard to know even this early in the year whether they'll line out as named - but that to my mind is a strong line up particularly around the middle 8. Further cause for concern would be Tommy Walsh at the edge of the square, we've leaked goals in every game so far and to pitch Jarlath Curley onto an admittedly misfiring Walsh might be foolhardy. I don't think with the players currently at our disposal that we can match the overall strength on paper of the Kingdom.

So long as Cooper keeps his hand down for the 3 shirt, he hopped off Walsh last year.

I can see us putting out a fairly strong team. In the Longford game, we had 7 players who started in the AI final....Cluxton, Philly, McCarthy, Bastick, Andrews, Deano, I can't remember the 7th....but that is a VERY strong line up for that early in the year. So I wouldn't be surprised if we had an even stronger one for the start of the league, especially as its against Kerry. Where I think we may fall down, will be the bench. If the fit is hitting the shan, we'll be probably be relying on a bunch of babby Dubs to bail us out of la merde. There'll be no no Alan Brogan, MDMA, KevMc etc to call on.

Read in the paper today, that O'Gara's return is not progressing as quickly as hoped. He won't return until April, at the earliest. If he doesn't get some game time under his belt in the league, it's hard to see him getting it in the summer. You'd feel for the lad on missing out. I'm a big fan of his.

I can see us putting out a fairly strong team. In the Longford game, we had 7 players who started in the AI final....Cluxton, Philly, McCarthy, Bastick, Andrews, Deano, I can't remember the 7th....but that is a VERY strong line up for that early in the year. So I wouldn't be surprised if we had an even stronger one for the start of the league, especially as its against Kerry. Where I think we may fall down, will be the bench. If the fit is hitting the shan, we'll be probably be relying on a bunch of babby Dubs to bail us out of la merde. There'll be no no Alan Brogan, MDMA, KevMc etc to call on.

Read in the paper today, that O'Gara's return is not progressing as quickly as hoped. He won't return until April, at the earliest. If he doesn't get some decent game time under his belt in the league, it's hard to see him getting it in the summer. You'd feel for the lad on missing out. I'm a big fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's funny, that lull since September has been totally annihilated once they started talking about Kerry on the Last Word. The venom is back!

COYBIB!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement