Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

unrealtime wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the current situation is regarding two players who I thought were certain to be stars - i.e. Richie Doyle and Ger Aylward. Are they still hurling in KK.

Richie Doyle has struggled badly with injuries especially his hips and is a shadow of the player he once was or what he promised to be. He was dropped from the panel during the spring after a couple of rounds of the league. It remains to be seen whether he can make it back. With the injuries he has suffered, the amount of time he's been out plus the level of hurling hes playing at with his club at the moment, it seems unlikely whether he can get up to the level required again.

Ger Aylward is the same, he suffered a couple of unfortunate injuries earlier on in the season whilst playing U21 and Intermediate with his club which meant he missed Pre Season along with the Walsh Cup and most of the League and subsequently fell down the pecking order as other players took their chances. Hes still part of the extended/training panel and Id imagine he will get another crack at it next year during the Walsh Cup and League provided he stays injury free

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Miall108 wrote: »
    Richie Doyle has struggled badly with injuries especially his hips and is a shadow of the player he once was or what he promised to be. He was dropped from the panel during the spring after a couple of rounds of the league. It remains to be seen whether he can make it back. With the injuries he has suffered, the amount of time he's been out plus the level of hurling hes playing at with his club at the moment, it seems unlikely whether he can get up to the level required again.

Ger Aylward is the same, he suffered a couple of unfortunate injuries earlier on in the season whilst playing U21 and Intermediate with his club which meant he missed Pre Season along with the Walsh Cup and most of the League and subsequently fell down the pecking order as other players took their chances. Hes still part of the extended/training panel and Id imagine he will get another crack at it next year during the Walsh Cup and League provided he stays injury free

Both will be playing junior hurling at club level next year which may be detrimental to their chances.

Both will be playing junior hurling at club level next year which may be detrimental to their chances.

Indeed but Ger aylward has the advantage of being still in and around the panel so Id imagine he will get at least one more chance, Junior Hurling may possibly hinder him depending on how long Glenmore stay Junior. Provided the Bridge win the county final I can see Glenmore coming straight back up with some of the players that they have so I cant see Ger Aylward playing Junior Hurling for too long. 5 All Ireland medal winners between the Minors and Seniors this year they had

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

thanks for that information. Injury is a curse for such young players. I would not be too pessimistic re junior players though - remember Pat Delaney, God rest him.

unrealtime wrote: »
    thanks for that information. Injury is a curse for such young players. I would not be too pessimistic re junior players though - remember Pat Delaney, God rest him.

Thats true but the gulf in class is much greater these days between Junior and the rest of the grades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

Indeed but Ger aylward has the advantage of being still in and around the panel so Id imagine he will get at least one more chance, Junior Hurling may possibly hinder him depending on how long Glenmore stay Junior. Provided the Bridge win the county final I can see Glenmore coming straight back up with some of the players that they have so I cant see Ger Aylward playing Junior Hurling for too long. 5 All Ireland medal winners between the Minors and Seniors this year they had

I expect the Bridge to beat Mooncoin on Sunday week and go up intermediate. This is their 3rd final in a row and I think they might finally crack it. Mooncoin will be dogged opposition though and the current wet conditions may suit them more.

No guarantee Glenmore will follow them next year, junior is a notoriously tough grade to get out of. Ballyraggett, Thomastown and Lisdowney were all promoted in recent years and are thriving at intermediate but it took them a long time to go up.

They will probably be favourites due to their county contingent but it doesn't always work like that. I saw a few of their games this year and they are very unbalanced. A couple of injuries to key players would render them very ordinary. Teams like Mooncoin, Piltown and Kilmacow will all fancy their chances if Bennettsbridge are out of the equation.

I expect the Bridge to beat Mooncoin on Sunday week and go up intermediate. This is their 3rd final in a row and I think they might finally crack it. Mooncoin will be dogged opposition though and the current wet conditions may suit them more.

No guarantee Glenmore will follow them next year, junior is a notoriously tough grade to get out of. Ballyraggett, Thomastown and Lisdowney were all promoted in recent years and are thriving at intermediate but it took them a long time to go up.

They will probably be favourites due to their county contingent but it doesn't always work like that. I saw a few of their games this year and they are very unbalanced. A couple of injuries to key players would render them very ordinary. Teams like Mooncoin, Piltown and Kilmacow will all fancy their chances if Bennettsbridge are out of the equation.

Agreed I do think the Bridge will beat Mooncoin and they certainly wont get away with going missing for most of the game like they did against Galmoy. That being said Mooncoin are unlucky to be Junior having been weakened by the emigration of a couple of key players over the last few years along with the retirement of their stalwart Centre Back Eddie Mackey.

Similarly Glenmores Centre Back John Cody emigrated too and added to key injuries, players gone travelling for the summer etc, over the course of the year Glenmore found themselves in deep trouble which they could not get themselves out of in the end.

I saw them myself twice during the year and they struggled badly for scores in those games against Conahy and Tullogher during the League and were fairly unbalanced throughout the team. I do think they can bounce back if they can field their strongest side

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

big game today tullaroan again the Fenians to see who will stay senior for next year, i think Tullaroan will win by a few points.

big game today tullaroan again the Fenians to see who will stay senior for next year, i think Tullaroan will win by a few points.

Me too, I think they have enough in the tank to get across the line. They shouldnt even be in this situation and should have beaten Danesfort the first day.

Fenians 2-3 Tullaroan o-2 20 minutes gone suprise on the cards

• Advertisement

HT Fenians 3-5 Tullaroan 0-3

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

2 half (21mins) Fenians 3-10 v 0-7 Tullaroan's proud senior record gone at last

phkk wrote: »
    2 half (21mins) Fenians 3-10 v 0-7 Tullaroan's proud senior record gone at last

Massive shock in Freshford. Tullaroan would have been the favourites going into this game. Rather unlucky I feel they are to be going down but thats the beauty of these games. Anything can happen on a given day.

Is this Tullaroans first time ever playing Intermediate does anyone know?

Full Time in Freshford:

Fenians 3-10 0-8 Tullaroan.

Tullaroan would have been the heavy favourites and were rather unlucky not to beat Danesfort in the drawn game in a game they had won which would have kept them up. The scoreline is today is particularly astonishing

Massive shock in Freshford. Tullaroan would have been the favourites going into this game. Rather unlucky I feel they are to be going down but thats the beauty of these games. Anything can happen on a given day.

Is this Tullaroans first time ever playing Intermediate does anyone know?

No, they won the intermediate championship in 1988 and have been senior since. For a small club with a small population, that's some record to compete at the top level for so long. How ironic that G/Ballycallan got relegated last year too after last winning the intermediate in 1987 and were followed up to senior by Tullaroan and now they've done it in reverse!!

some win for the Fenians JJ hurling senior again next year

phkk wrote: »
    No, they won the intermediate championship in 1988 and have been senior since. For a small club with a small population, that's some record to compete at the top level for so long. How ironic that G/Ballycallan got relegated last year too after last winning the intermediate in 1987 and were followed up to senior by Tullaroan and now they've done it in reverse!!

It is indeed. The two rivals will meet once again next year down in Intermediate. I can see them being one of the big contenders to come back up next year along with the losers of the Vat and Ballyragget game next weekend.Unlike Ballycallan who were a team in steep decline, I do think Tullaroan have the quality to come back up at the first attempt but thats easier said than done.

It is indeed. The two rivals will meet once again next year down in Intermediate. I can see them being one of the big contenders to come back up next year along with the losers of the Vat and Ballyragget game next weekend.Unlike Ballycallan who were a team in steep decline, I do think Tullaroan have the quality to come back up at the first attempt but thats easier said than done.

I think Tullaroan will be there or thereabouts next year with players like Tommy Walsh, Padraig Walsh, Martin Walsh, Paul Buggy, Stephen Maher and know they have good young hurlers coming through in the other Tommy Walsh and Martin Keoghan so they'll have to look to the future with optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Delighted for JJ. In my opinion the best hurler Kilkenny ever produced. No disrespect to any of the great players who played with him or went before him. As another poster has said Tullaroan are good enough to come straight back up which may not have been necessarily true for the Fenians.

Delighted for JJ. In my opinion the best hurler Kilkenny ever produced. No disrespect to any of the great players who played with him or went before him. As another poster has said Tullaroan are good enough to come straight back up which may not have been necessarily true for the Fenians.

Either way you have to be sad for Tommy Walsh too but I can see him playing Senior Hurling once again before his career is over. Thats prob the difference, if Fenians went down, they were probably staying down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Anybody who turned up in Freshford today is to be commended. Dire weather in KK today.

citykat wrote: »
    Anybody who turned up in Freshford today is to be commended. Dire weather in KK today.

I agree, hence why I didnt stir out for that particular game myself

sun shine supporters ..........lol......

Sure he'd be hurling senior either way. ;)

Either way you have to be sad for Tommy Walsh too but I can see him playing Senior Hurling once again before his career is over. Thats prob the difference, if Fenians went down, they were probably staying down

I wouldn't be as confident. Very difficult for a relegated team to bounce back the next year. I wouldn't fancy them against either of the intermediate finalists this year. They'll also have their near neighbours Ballycallan up against them next year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were drawn against each other in the group stage next year.

Full Time in Freshford:

Fenians 3-10 0-8 Tullaroan.

Tullaroan would have been the heavy favourites and were rather unlucky not to beat Danesfort in the drawn game in a game they had won which would have kept them up. The scoreline is today is particularly astonishing

The weather has to have been a factor. Was at a chaps match (clashing with the relegation playoff). Got into the car to check the half time score. Didn't get out again as the rain really started to come down then. Would've been very difficult to hurl in those conditions.

I wouldn't be as confident. Very difficult for a relegated team to bounce back the next year. I wouldn't fancy them against either of the intermediate finalists this year. They'll also have their near neighbours Ballycallan up against them next year. Wouldn't surprise me if they were drawn against each other in the group stage next year.

I do agree with you there, they will be there or thereabouts nonetheless and are certainly good enough go back up something I wouldnt have said about G/Ballycallan last year. I also agree that both of this years Intermediate finalists are better sides but I do see them coming back up within 3 years at least. They have some fine experienced players to drive them on next year such as the Coogans, Tommy, Padraig and Martin Walsh and Stephen Maher along with younger lads such as Jack Keoghan, Tommy Walsh and Shane Cuddihy so they will be a force at that level thats for sure.

Also I couldnt see G/Ballycallan being good enough to beat them either even though they are fierce rivals. Their showing last weekend just showed how poor a side they are with 1-5 scored the whole match, 1-2 by Eddie Brennan. It wont be too long before they go back Junior I would say once Brennan and Ryall are gone who are still their two best players

The weather has to have been a factor. Was at a chaps match (clashing with the relegation playoff). Got into the car to check the half time score. Didn't get out again as the rain really started to come down then. Would've been very difficult to hurl in those conditions.

Indeed and i think the conditions played into johnstowns hands. I do think Tullaroan would have at the very least shaded it on a good day as they certainly have the better tidier hurlers but today ultimately came down to a dogfight instead of a free flowing game as a result of the weather and the Fenians are certainly no strangers to a dogfight having endured their fair share of them over the last few years.

There was not a hope Tullaroan were going to come from behind in those conditions either after conceding 3 goals in the first half. Johnstown have been in this situation plenty of times over the last 10 years or so and their experience helped to see it out too

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

As a shocks man really looking forward to the matches in the park! Should be really up for it today, time is running out for their 'golden era' team to win one,we struggled to fill underage teams for the last 6-7 years so fewer and fewer players coming through. Clara favorites but at club level if the Powers go well they can beat anyone.
    Cant see anything but a shamrocks win in the other. When on form they would have too much firepower for anyone in the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

6 points to 3 ST martins lead 21 mins

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement