Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia VRS mods

Options
  • 14-05-2015 7:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

looking to do a little bit of modding to my new toy (09 pre facelift VRS with the CR engine) with rough prices :

pressed metal number plates and holder (€55)
    vrs floor mats (£40/€60)
    interior led lights ($30/€30)
    headlights (£20/€30)
    one of those gps tracker yokes
    stereo RCD510 (€160) , new canbus ($54/€50) and bluetooth module ($90/€80)

eventually remap - bluefin (£400/€550)

Anything missing , or anything crazy money ? kind of my year one budget for it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

In the interests of adding some info for the next poor fool :

the octavia II vrs internal lights are not canbus - with the exception of the puddle lights, the boot light and the licence plate lights.

licence plates and surrounds ordered from eireplates.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Wouldn't be bothered with a bluefin map, especially at that kinda money.

There are cheaper and better options out there, a custom remap on a rolling road in Ireland should cost around €350.

The remap is something I wont be going near until sept / oct , I'll bear it in mind though.
    The thing attracting me to the Bluefin is how easy it is to undo when I'm selling the car on.

Quick update : plates arrived yesterday from Eireplates.com
    Perfect in every way , the surrounds are solid and well up to the job. Got the fixing kit with them as well , used the screw caps and a bit of mastic to keep the water off the screws.
    2 day delivery (ordered on Thursday delivered on Monday) with Fastway couriers.

If I catch the clown who put the original plates on my car , I will choke him. Screws practically nailled in. How can Garages have such disregard for brand new cars ?

Apparently my new headlight bulbs are waiting for me in parcel motel.

I ordered these in the end :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NMEEV9W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    reviews seem to be good , so fingers crossed.
    I think finding the head unit somewhere that isnt china is going to be interesting. Floor mats are also problematic , maybe a job for the main stealers.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

horgan_p wrote: »
    I think finding the head unit somewhere that isnt china is going to be interesting. Floor mats are also problematic , maybe a job for the main stealers.

Breakers yard. RCD510's are everywhere. Check out crashed skoda's/VWs on donedeal and just check the interior pics for the head unit.

RNS510's would be advertised, since they're ~€500, but RCD510s just arnt as desirable.

As for a GPS tracker, you could get one from China for maybe €40-€50 I think. Get a prepay sim card, stick it into it and top it up every once and a while. Usually you can program them to alert(text you GPS coords map) you when they
    a) lose signal
    b) Leave certain area
    c) When you ring the number

You'd probably need a way to keep it charged too - note that some battery packs will charge the GPS tracker to full, then power off (ie. car turns off, battery pack charges GPS tracker to 100%, battery pack stops charging with 90% battery left in it, GPS tracker drains and shutsdown). Found a car battery booster pack with USBs on it worked a charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

VCDS adaptations

Enable both fogs?

Enable Fogs as CH/LH lights >> Not sure if this can be done on Pre FL models but your one has the CR engine so might be possible.
    Enable fogs as Cornering lights
    Enable needle sweep ( If not already enabled )
    Anti Hijack

Fit and code footwell lights

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Explain please "needle sweep" ??? - googled it , I assume anyone with vcds can do this ?
    And also "anti hijack"

I'll google the rest

Needles sweep is when you first turn the key all the needles sweep up to their end point and back again,it's 'cool' at night.

I presume by Anti Hijack he means auto-lock. the doors auto lock above 15kph or so.

Anyone who knows their way around VCDS will be able to the above.

Just changed the LEDS - for reference : 5 of the lights (both boot lights , both map reading lights and the glove box light) are of the t10 type.

Managed to get the canbus unit ordered over the last few days, becoming more apparent that I'd like to get my own vcds unit.
    I assume that the official cables are the only way to go ? I think I'll have to wait until dollars become more palatable. Paid 52 euro for 54 dollars last night. Madness.

• Advertisement

Another payday and some more toys ordered, this time the ANS620 head unit.
    I'm hoping it ships with a little box called a canbus decoder , which should give me display above the steering wheel.

Hopefully this will negate me having to buy the skoda bluetooth kit (200 euro)

Then after that its really just the remap left to do.
    I'll be taking it to the guy in watergrasshill in Cork. I've heard good things about him.
    Some new speakers to be ordered as well next month.

Never ends .....

Then after that its really just the remap left to do.
    I'll be taking it to the guy in watergrasshill in Cork. I've heard good things about him.
    Some new speakers to be ordered as well next month.

Never ends .....

D NOT take it there
    He has no dyno or anything

DPF delete and a proper remap, take it to Lukasz in Fermoy Garage and Torque center.

Before and after runs with printout on dyno.

http://fermoygarage.com/

Though ive no experience, a remap without a dyno just seems wrong. You'll probably get more power, but without the figures to back it up, you've no idea how much power/torque you're getting, or where you're getting it. Too much? Too little? All top end power? If its worth doing, its worth doing right.

DPF removal as well to be done , and a couple of those knacky VCDS mods above.
    Want to get that tracker yoke fitted too , so a small bit of work for him. He seems to know his stuff.

I'm interested in smoothening out the acceleration as well as the increase in power/ torque.
    As I say , that's a job for next months paycheque.....

DPF removal as well to be done , and a couple of those knacky VCDS mods above.
    Want to get that tracker yoke fitted too , so a small bit of work for him. He seems to know his stuff.

I'm interested in smoothening out the acceleration as well as the increase in power/ torque.
    As I say , that's a job for next months paycheque.....

He does know his stuff in the electronics department.
    But trust me when I advise you not to get your remap done.
    I also think he does not have the facilities to remove the dpf.

Also as far as I am aware he uses generic maps.
    The garage I pointed you to write their own maps to suit your needs.

I have seen results of their maps.

So my new stereo (AS-620) arrived today from icebox auto, Fitting it and pictures later.
    Now, next question , speakers ??

Currently looking at these : http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component-systems/6-5-inch-comp-17cm/jbl-cs760c-17cm-6-5-150w-component-speakers

link to stereo :
    http://www.iceboxauto.com/vw-octavia-2007-2013-7-as610

So my new stereo (AS-620) arrived today from icebox auto, Fitting it and pictures later.
    Now, next question , speakers ??

Currently looking at these : http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/speakers/component-systems/6-5-inch-comp-17cm/jbl-cs760c-17cm-6-5-150w-component-speakers

link to stereo :
    http://www.iceboxauto.com/vw-octavia-2007-2013-7-as610

These >> Pioneer TS-E170ci

SO the stereo fitted without too much hassle - cable management on the thing is very tight.
    Ran into an issue with the maps - which are shipped on a micro sd card. Just sent a mail to the uk support guys with some screenshots.
    Other than that its a pretty nice unit, its billed as being able to read "2TB" hard disks ,best I've done so far is a 16GB usb disk formatted to FAT32.

I do hope it isnt a DOA issue. If it is I'll be asking for a different model. I accept its a chinese unit , but for nearly €400 I'd expect better than an error in the first 24 hours.

well , looks like a DOA :

sorry to hear of your issues. You seem to have covered all the angles that i would suggest to try and overcome this issue so there maybe a possibility that the SD reader maybe defective but let me speak with the tech team to see if they have any further advice. Ill get back in touch shortly.

S**te anyway. Thinking of pressing to be moved up a model to one that runs Android.
    Anyone here with experience of Android head units ?

At least its the UK I'm dealing with and not Hong Kong....
    And at least I paid with Paypal. I hate having to think that way......

• Advertisement

disaster. these boys at iceboxauto seem to be awful hassle to deal with.

Emails going unanswered , phones calls are being answered , but no solutions given.
    I've just sent a mail asking them what the plan is to replace this unit given it lasted less than 24 hours.
    I'd prefer to pay another few bob and get a higher spec model (I bought the AS420).
    If I dont hear anything back by lunchtime its time to start a paypal dispute.

The reason I bought in the UK was to avoid this rubbish.

disaster. these boys at iceboxauto seem to be awful hassle to deal with.

Emails going unanswered , phones calls are being answered , but no solutions given.
    I've just sent a mail asking them what the plan is to replace this unit given it lasted less than 24 hours.
    I'd prefer to pay another few bob and get a higher spec model (I bought the AS420).
    If I dont hear anything back by lunchtime its time to start a paypal dispute.

The reason I bought in the UK was to avoid this rubbish.

Did you pay via Paypal?
    Can you possibly open a dispute with them?

yeah , paid with paypal , so I'll be opening a dispute at lunchtime if I don't hear back.
    Disappointing , given that their website has a large "why deal with us instead of china" page.

Would you be better off buying a Columbus unit or even an Amunsden?

The Columbus unit would be a bit more expensive , and I'd still neeed 200 for the skoda Bluetooth.

Plus I cant see myself getting a refund from this shower unfortunately.
    I'm 400euro into it with them , and if I need to ship it back , then I can count on another 30-50 at least.

Paypal dispute started. Just in case there's any sneaky "no refunds after 7 days " nonsense.

Paypal dispute started. Just in case there's any sneaky "no refunds after 7 days " nonsense.

It could be described as "Dead on Arrival"

Anyone got experience of android head units ?
    I'm really trying to keep the car looking OEM if I can at all.

Anyone got experience of android head units ?
    I'm really trying to keep the car looking OEM if I can at all.

That post contradicts itself.... unless you're going all futuristic and fitting Android Auto.

• Advertisement

yeah , I worded that badly.
    What I meant to say was I'm looking for a head unit that runs android , but has an OEM look to it (as in the surround). So it doesn't look like I just super glued a nexus 10 to the dash.

Advertisement