Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A big hill around santry/beaumount

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

I usually get picked up drive to dollymount and cycle around howth then back to the car and drive back. It puts about an hour on the cycle everytime with getting stuff in and out of the van and driving to and from.
    Is there a good hilly route around the artane/santry in dublin thatd be as challengeing over a short distance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

jane82 wrote: »
    Is there a good hilly route around the artane/santry in dublin that'd be as challenging over a short distance.

In a word? No...

Nothing hilly at all, a lot of traffic lights and junctions though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Cycle to and from Howth....it's not that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cycle out and back. 30 mins there, spin around the hill, 30 mins back. Enjoy the wind in your hair and the flies in your teeth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Cycle to and from Howth....it's not that far.

Its time consumeing and flat and brutal roads. Im on a old mountainbike. I just do it for the leg muscles. If no hills no point as far as Im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

In santry.....nothing.

Best to go up and around Howth.

• Advertisement

Its time consumeing and flat and brutal roads. Im on a old mountainbike. I just do it for the leg muscles. If no hills no point as far as Im concerned.

Time for a road bike so. A 90 minute cycle might seem like a lot to you now, but if you keep at it then it will seem like nothing. I know someone who went for an 11 hour cycle today.

If it's for leg muscles, then just pedal faster on the flat. The lads with the strongest legs in cycling are those who are fastest on the flat.

Raam wrote: »
    If it's for leg muscles, then just pedal faster on the flat. The lads with the strongest legs in cycling are those who are fastest on the flat.

I would argue that its the lads who eat the most protein. I could go and do miles and miles on flat or less than half that on a hill and get the same results.
    Its all about time management abd budget really.
    Looks like Ill stick with Howth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I would argue that its the lads who eat the most protein. I could go and do miles and miles on flat or less than half that on a hill and get the same results.

Or get a turbo trainer and you'll have all the hills you could ever want at the flick of a lever. You may forfeit your sanity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Mrs Hill at the end of Santry, she's huge, can't miss her.

• Advertisement

Have you tried a proper hard flat spin? Find which way the wind is blowing, head directly into it as fast as you can. There is almost always decent wind blowing. It will wreck you quick enough. Much better than wasting time driving out to Dollymount. If you are in Santry then you have good access to the roads around the airport which are good for cycling. My club and others use them all the time. There have been times where I have cycled around there and I am down at 16kph working hard as I can. My normal cruising speed is around 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Time for a road bike so. A 90 minute cycle might seem like a lot to you now, but if you keep at it then it will seem like nothing. I know someone who went for an 11 hour cycle today.

8 hrs 45 mins ride time but who is counting!

I would argue that its the lads who eat the most protein.

You would be wrong.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    8 hrs 45 mins ride time but who is counting!

You must have stopped for a fair bit. Your Strava said 11! I just took that time and didn't check the avg/dist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's small hills from the Tolka up to Whitehall from Fagan's
    Up Mobhi Rd to DCU
    Up the N2 to Finglas

You must have stopped for a fair bit. Your Strava said 11! I just took that time and didn't check the avg/dist.

I'll tell you on Sunday. Back OT. Improving all aspects of cycling is important OP, not just going up and down hills. Trust me on this.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'll tell you on Sunday. Back OT. Improving all aspects of cycling is important OP, not just going up and down hills. Trust me on this.

Its not the cycling I do it for. Im back from surgery on the back and cant squat Heavy just yet so its a way of weight training my legs.

Its not the cycling I do it for. Im back from surgery on the back and cant squat Heavy just yet so its a way of weight training my legs.

Are you mashing a big gear slowly? Careful if you are, a sure fire way to risk tendonitis or other knee problems.

Are you mashing a big gear slowly? Careful if you are, a sure fire way to risk tendonitis or other knee problems.

I was but I noticed a bit of a twinge in the knee. Ive gone back to trying to keep it all at about 90 rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Done the howth hill for a charity cycle two weeks ago
    Oh my Jesus coming back over it leaving howth was seriously though that is 1 mudderfecker of a hill haha

• Advertisement

Yeah I find it tough Ive heard it been called a beginner spin the route I do takes me about an hour. Its all the cycling I want to be doing for the day.

As a matter of interest how many minutes would I knock off the time if I got a fancy bike.
    Im on an old rally boulder.

As a matter of interest how many minutes would I knock off the time if I got a fancy bike.
    Im on an old rally boulder.

A more suitable road bike would certainly help you cycle faster for the same effort that you are currently putting out. But that's just it, it doesn't get any easier, you just get faster. No one can tell you how many minutes you would knock off cos we know nothing about your physical make up, what route your route is, or what your current time on that route is.

For what it's worth, a road bike is a billion times more pleasurable to ride on the road than an MTB.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You're not weight training your legs. Your approach is misguided.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Up Mobhi Rd to DCU
    Up the N2 to Finglas
    Ah FFS! Neither of those could be called a climb even to an absolute beginner!

It is resistance training though. Burst the muscle receptors(or whatever you call them) and grow the muscle with copious amounts of protein.
    Its working fine legs and buttsky is growing muscle. Its just abit time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah FFS! Neither of those could be called a climb even to an absolute beginner!
    I didn't call them climbs,
    they are small hills

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It is resistance training though. Burst the muscle receptors(or whatever you call them) and grow the muscle with copious amounts of protein.
    Its working fine legs and buttsky is growing muscle. Its just abit time consuming.

It's not. It's too high repitition and low stress to effectively grow muscle.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    It's not. It's too high repitition and low stress to effectively grow muscle.

Maybe it will only work to a point but its working fine for now.

• Advertisement

Jesus I went mountainbiking in drogheda on my rally boulder today. Its a different kind of fitness needed that I wasnt expecting.
    Never had my calfs burn like that from cycling before.

Advertisement