Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here could advise.

I'm just back from UK having bought a car. Unfortunately, the garage had sent the V5 form to the DVLA even before we had arrived.

The garage held onto 2 slips, the V5C/2, and the V5C/4.

I'm thinking, from the various info I've read, that this won't be enough for VRT, that I need the entire V5.

Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what I could possibly do in meantime to help avoid any issues/penalties?

You will need the full document. Get in touch with the garage and the DVLA to get it issued to you asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder will our overlords increase the VRT to counter-act any surge in UK motors being brought into the country????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fryup wrote: »
    i wonder will our overlords increase the VRT to counter-act any surge in UK motors being brought into the country????

They dont have to, the Revenue already have their open market selling price so the VRT isnt set against what you actually paid for it, its against what Revenue think it is worth and that figure has only been going up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for quick response.

Garage sent it the morning we were coming to collect it, to DVLA on Swansea. I suppose my best bet is to contact them as soon as possible, and try to get it sent over ASAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cheers for quick response.

Garage sent it the morning we were coming to collect it, to DVLA on Swansea. I suppose my best bet is to contact them as soon as possible, and try to get it sent over ASAP?

They won't send the V5C. You need to request a cert of permanent export from them.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone here could advise.

I'm just back from UK having bought a car. Unfortunately, the garage had sent the V5 form to the DVLA even before we had arrived.

The garage held onto 2 slips, the V5C/2, and the V5C/4.

I'm thinking, from the various info I've read, that this won't be enough for VRT, that I need the entire V5.

Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what I could possibly do in meantime to help avoid any issues/penalties?

Had this happen to me a couple of weeks back .had to download a cert of permanent export application an send it off to DVLA ,girl in DVLA said will take 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

4 weeks? Presumably, that will put you over the 30 VRT timescale.

Did you contact the VRT office and explain it was the fault of the garage? Or would they simply not entertain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Bigsliothar

Did you contact the VRT office and explain it was the fault of the garage? Or would they simply not entertain that?

Wouldn't entertain it

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

You mentioned
    · Declaration Form for the Registration of a newVehicle/ Motorcycle
    but this is not included in the list of required documents emailed by NCTS VRT - booking. I assume this form is no longer required?

Correction, it is actually is, but for
    FOR TAN HOLDERS ONLY:
    5.You bring your completed Declaration for Registration of a new/used vehicle form.

can anyone suggest a ballpark of what kind of discounts UK dealers tend to allow off the headline price? Looking at a 2yr old A200 Merc circa £19,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say £500 quid if you're lucky, they don't build as much fat into their asking prices as dealers do over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

£500 if your very lucky, I was walking away from a car sale over £200 and they were willing to let me walk... They will argue over every £ not like here at all

I negotiated £250, that was it. But the original price is so much better then here, so even with ZERO discount I was worth it.

Was hoping to get £1k off a £19k car but I suppose if I got £500 that would be okay for a high specced car with an already decent price. Im loving the sterling rate at the moment, I wonder will it go much lower between now and Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I posted a couple of pages back this happened to me, the export cert will most likely not arrive in time.i parked the car for a month as insurance would not cover for more than 30 days, I booked the vrt slot as far off as I could, and kept kicking it forward as I waited for the cert to come in the mail. When it finally took the car to 'clear' it, the Nct guy made nothing of the fact the car was in the country for about eight weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was hoping to get £1k off a £19k car but I suppose if I got £500 that would be okay for a high specced car with an already decent price. Im loving the sterling rate at the moment, I wonder will it go much lower between now and Xmas?

You would be very lucky to get that kinda discount from a dealer in the UK. They don't haggle as much as we do for some reason, but in saying that do try and you should get something off. I usually go for a few quid off and some extras like fuel/new car mats etc.

The dealer knows your coming over for this car and are highly unlikely to leave without it so your caught over a barrell straight away. Last car I got came with 40 quid of diesel and a full service kit for the next service plus I managed to get 200 off for not needing a warranty so about 300 worth all in. Doesn't always work out that way though..

Denisoftus wrote: »
    You mentioned but this is not included in the list of required documents emailed by NCTS VRT - booking. I assume this form is no longer required?

Correction, it is actually is, but for

Well, to answer my own question, looks like it wasn't required as they returned this form to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Well, to answer my own question, looks like it wasn't required as the returned this form to me.

That's odd, they took and kept mine. And the website still says that it's required:

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

website does say it, correct, but in the email its under TAN only section:
    FOR TAN HOLDERS ONLY:
    1. Where an authorised trader (TAN Holder), is registering a vehicle on behalf of a customer, he/she can now provide his/her own Revenue Customer Number or VAT number on company headed paper in place of the PPSN of the person in whose name the vehicle is being registered. The dealer must however, bring a photo copy of the customer’s utility bill (not older than 6 months) along with a signed letter from the customer authorising that the vehicle can be registered in their name.
    2. You bring you the invoice for the vehicle along with a completed VRTVPD1 for Tan Holders Click here to download this form
    3. The person presenting the vehicle will be asked to produce either their original drivers licence or their passport along with a copy of the birth certificate or the original Certificate of Conformity in the case of a new vehicle.
    4. For used vehicles, you must provide evidence of previous registration e.g. foreign certificate of registration. (Please bring an English translation of this document and also note it will be retained by the test centre so ensure you keep a copy of it)
    5. You bring your completed Declaration for Registration of a new/used vehicle form.
    6. Tan holders may have a copy of the driver’s licence of the person to whom the vehicle is being registered to.

Still it worth spending 5-10 mins to do the form to avoid disappointment at the center.

By the way, was in this morning and all docs are fine: thanks to OP for pointing requirement to have V5 in full (not just green section) which nowhere to be found on official website :(:(. But they could not find the car in their DB so I'm now waiting a call from Revenue, anyone experienced that?

• Advertisement

Very common on cars that either have odd specs or are not imported frequently into the country. Revenue will probably request data from the car manufacturer via the car's VIN before they come back with a figure. Can take 7 working days or longer for them to come back to you.

Hopefully it will be quicker then 7 days, as my "month" expiring in 7 days :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    Revenue will probably request data from the car manufacturer via the car's VIN before they come back with a figure. Can take 7 working days or longer for them to come back to you.

Any chance to speed this process up? My insurance will expire next week and need the car everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭HeadWrecked93

I have a quote from garage in uk including a service and mot. Do i need another mot on the car if i'm exporting or is that somewhere i can get another few bucks knocked off?

according to mot site it has a mot since 12/10/16 to 11/10/17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mot site not working on the phone for me. Anyone else any issue with this?

have only tried on laptop and its working fine

It will need to be MOT'd to drive it on the road to the ferry port or else it will be caught by any one of the many ANPR cameras on the roads over there. Whatever about getting away with having no tax I'd say the UK police would take a very dim view to a car not having a valid MOT. I'd imagine they could impound the car as well as issue a hefty fine. You might also want to check with your insurance company that they will still cover the car on UK plates if it doesn't have an uptodate MOT while you are driving it over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

bazz26 wrote: »
    It will need to be MOT'd to drive it on the road to the ferry port or else it will be caught by any one of the many ANPR cameras on the roads over there. Whatever about getting away with having no tax I'd say the UK police would take a very dim view to a car not having a valid MOT. I'd imagine they could impound the car as well as issue a hefty fine. You might also want to check with your insurance company that they will still cover the car on UK plates if it doesn't have an uptodate MOT while you are driving it over there.

it is not a case of could impound it, they will do so if they catch you

I wasn't 100% sure.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help. Car is MOT'd so nothing to worry about

Advertisement