Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SHELLBABE10

Im <snip> also and found out yesterday that their not ruptured.I want them taken out but not sure wether i should pay the 1800 or not so have emailed avril from lavelle and coleman solicitors and i will see what they have to say first before i make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jessiebelle

Hey everyone,
    I still haven't even gotten a letter from <snip>. I rang <snip> and told them how I had called and emailed <snip> and have not gotten any reply.The lady told me that they had sent all the patients files to <snip> and so she couldnt tell me anything.She said that she would email them for me and say that I had been in contact with them.I wont hold my breath waiting for <snip> to get in touch with me.I dont have the <snip> number for <snip> SO Ive just been ringing the call centre number.Do any of you girls out there have the <snip> number.You can private msg me.
    I looked on the<snip> websites and I saw that they do MRI scans.Its says that they are E280.I wonder is the one that we need a specific kind of one and thats why some people are paying E400.Dont really know what to ask for.

Any advice greatly appreciated x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Oriel33

Hi all,
    I just found out this morning that I have PIP implants. I am travelling Australia at the moment and the letter from <snip> Was sent to my mothers house who then rang me to inform me.
    I saw on the <snip> website that people with confirmed ruptures can have them replaced free of charge, does any one know whether or not they are offering to pay for the scans that need to be done?
    I can't get in touch with them myself as there is an 11 hour time difference between here and there and also the calls are too expensive! It's a bit frustrating for me to have a middle man relaying information.
    I don't have the funds here to get a scan done and also if I did have a rupture will they cover the surgery over here? It would cost me too much to fly home!
    I know that you all probably only have the same information as I do but I really need to vent,
    I'm angry and scared and have no support over here, and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be a lot at home either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sue103

Hey everyone,
    I still haven't even gotten a letter from <snip>. I rang <snip> and told them how I had called and emailed <snip> and have not gotten any reply.The lady told me that they had sent all the patients files to <snip> and so she couldnt tell me anything.She said that she would email them for me and say that I had been in contact with them.I wont hold my breath waiting for <snip> to get in touch with me.I dont have the <snip> number for <snip> SO Ive just been ringing the call centre number.Do any of you girls out there have the <snip> number.You can private msg me.
    I looked on the <snip> websites and I saw that they do MRI scans.Its says that they are E280.I wonder is the one that we need a specific kind of one and thats why some people are paying E400.Dont really know what to ask for.

Any advice greatly appreciated x

Hi Jessiebelle
    I also got my implants done with <snip> in <snip> and have been on the phone to <snip> on several occasions but all I seem to get is a call centre in England! I demanded that they give me the information that i need and they said they would get back to me within the week, hopefully they do. Have you gone to your GP yet? They can arrange a scan for you, that's what I did and I had an ultrasound done in <snip> at a cost of 200 euro. Don't know if that's any help to you, let me know if you need anything else

kyra123 wrote: »
    Hi girls can I make a suggestion?

The stress of this is unreal, I got some good advice from a friend yesterday. Try to take a night/ day/ one hour/ 30 mins/ 10 mins even away from all the PIP stuff and do something nice just for you (i stress just for you as I know what it's like when you have little ones in the house). Long bath/Walk/ Funny film/ Dinner out/ Lunch with pals (ban the topic till your finished your food trust me!)

I know it hard and believe me this if on my mind 24/7 too (my husband tells me I'm ranting in my sleep about it all) but I'm worried about you all and some of the mails/posts that I have gotten and seen show the pure stress we are all under. The stress of all this can be really damaging to your health/ mental health if you get no break from it.

So I guess what I am trying to say is even warriors such as all of us need a break too;) So please do something nice for yourselves this weekend (mine is a bar of chocolate that has been calling me since christmas and a catch up on some rubbish tv :D)

Just a suggestion hope it helps!

Hi Kyra
    Just read the article you ladies done in the Indo, you all did us proud. My husband read it and I think it made him realise the situation we're all in so PG others will too. You all came across so well x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Saranna

sue103 wrote: »
    kyra123 wrote: »
    Hi girls can I make a suggestion?

The stress of this is unreal, I got some good advice from a friend yesterday. Try to take a night/ day/ one hour/ 30 mins/ 10 mins even away from all the PIP stuff and do something nice just for you (i stress just for you as I know what it's like when you have little ones in the house). Long bath/Walk/ Funny film/ Dinner out/ Lunch with pals (ban the topic till your finished your food trust me!)

I know it hard and believe me this if on my mind 24/7 too (my husband tells me I'm ranting in my sleep about it all) but I'm worried about you all and some of the mails/posts that I have gotten and seen show the pure stress we are all under. The stress of all this can be really damaging to your health/ mental health if you get no break from it.

So I guess what I am trying to say is even warriors such as all of us need a break too;) So please do something nice for yourselves this weekend (mine is a bar of chocolate that has been calling me since christmas and a catch up on some rubbish tv :D)

Just a suggestion hope it helps!

Hi Kyra
    Just read the article you ladies done in the Indo, you all did us proud. My husband read it and I think it made him realise the situation we're all in so PG others will too. You all came across so well x

Oh it's today's Irish indo trip to local shop then,can't wait to read it:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

Hi girls,

The interview some of use did is in the Irish Times Today it is called
    "I trusted that I would be fitted with a safe implants that s not what I got"
    The link to the petition is in the article too :).
    I really hope it helps and we can get further with the petition now. Thank you to the other girls for also speaking out, I hope we all reflected correctly what all of you out there are feeling each day, your fustrations and our requests as a group to the clinics involved.

Talk to all later
    Kyra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coh123

Hi girls
    I haven't been on in a while I have been so busy between work college and kids! I can't sleep at night because I haven't have confirmation. Girls u all did really well getting it into the media I have signed the petition and passing info onto anyone that will listen!
    I'm sorry to hear about the girls with ruptures and stay strong if u can! I'm going down to the shop now to get indo! I
    If there is anything I can do please let me know! I'm not good with computers but anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pez5858

The article is in The Irish Times, not the Indo. Best of luck to all of you!

pez5858 wrote: »

Sorry everyone got it wrong meant to say THE TIMES but said Indo instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

pez5858 wrote: »

Sorry everyone got it wrong meant to say THE TIMES but said Indo instead!
    Hey girls well done on the interview its great to see this getting such positive attention well done all :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

The article is also on line :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0128/1224310854924.html

Out on bail: Jean-Claude Mas, founder of PIP, photographed after being arrested on a drink-driving offence in Costa Rica in 2010. Photograph: AP
    In this section »
    O'Connell Street, Ireland
    More than just a Scottish question
    Are we going out? I'll get my pyjamas
    Up to 1,500 women in Ireland have breast implants made by the French firm PIP. Three of them tell PETER McGUIRE of the
    worry, frustration and embarrassment they have experienced since problems with the implants were exposed

THE SILICONE WAS the type used in mattresses. Instead, it was put into breast implants, and these were put into women’s bodies. In Ireland, according to the Irish Medicines Board (IMB), up to 1,500 women who went for breast-enlargement operations were fitted with cheap, industrial-grade silicone implants made by the French firm Poly Implant Prothèse (PIP).

The suspect PIP implants were banned on safety grounds in France two years ago and have been removed from the market in several countries amid fears that they could rupture and leak silicone into the body. PIP was liquidated last year. On Thursday, its former director, Jean-Claude Mas, who is 72, was arrested in the south of France and placed under investigation on a criminal charge of causing bodily harm. He was released on €100,000 bail and is not allowed to leave France.

The PIP implants had received the CE – or European Conformity – mark, meaning they met the relevant EU safety requirements. But Mas has admitted to hiding from certification agencies for more than a decade the fact the company was using cheap, industrial silicone.

“Kyra” is a 31-year-old married mother of one, from Dublin, who works in residential care. Kyra is not her real name but a pseudonym she has used in online discussions. She had her breasts enlarged in 2006. The procedure was carried out by Harley Medical Group, using the PIP implants.

“I had never felt comfortable in my own skin,” she says. “I was constantly stuffing my bra, and using ‘chicken fillet’ bra inserts. I wanted to feel better about my self-image. It took me from an A-cup to a moderate C-cup. I picked a discreet surgeon who did natural-looking implants.”

Following a series of posts on boards.ielast week, Kyra received more than 30 messages, and has now set up an online petition, asking Minister for Health James Reilly to intervene on behalf of women carrying the PIP implants. She says Irish women have had to fight alone, without support from their clinics or from the Department of Health.

“The women are terrified of the effect this could have on their health. Nobody is asking the taxpayer to pay for any of this mess, but we want the cosmetic companies in Ireland to deal with this correctly. Women with these implants should be offered removal and replacement at no charge. In the long term, the industry needs stricter guidelines and regulations to stop this happening again.”

Debating the issue – with friends, with family or online – is difficult, says Kyra. She finds it frequently turns into an argument about the rights and wrongs of cosmetic surgery.

“I feel I’m constantly justifying myself. I’m asking people to park their personal opinions on cosmetic surgery. The issue is that the product is toxic, it didn’t deserve the quality mark it got, and the implants should be removed.”

Hence women with PIP implants have used online forums, particularly boards.ieand rollercoaster.ie, to communicate with each other. Comments have ranged from supportive to abusive. One person wrote that women who had breast implants were selfish and vain, and deserved to die of cancer.

Two more women with PIP implants who spoke to The Irish Times are reluctant to speak out publicly, and – like Kyra – will not be identified by their real names. “The surgery I had is so personal,” says “Marguerite”, a civil servant from Co Kildare, who is 38. “It was difficult enough to make the decision in the first place, without now having to tell the world about it. I live in a small rural community. I don’t ask anyone else’s business, and I would find it very humiliating to have everybody knowing mine. There’s a perception of extreme vanity and a fear that, if people know about it, they’ll judge your character on one aspect of your life.”

Three Irish clinics – the cosmetic-surgery unit at Clane General Hospital in Co Kildare, Harley Medical Group in Dublin and Shandon Street Hospital in Cork – are known to have used PIP implants. Shandon Street Hospital closed last year.

Marguerite’s operation was carried out at Clane General Hospital. She was examined this month and advised that her implants were intact. This week the hospital provided a follow-up scan, which confirmed that finding. If her implants had ruptured or were leaking, the hospital would remove and replace them without charge.

The PIP implants are more likely than other implants to rupture or leak in future, however, and Marguerite is worried that she will have to have, and pay for, regular scans. “It’s like paying top dollar for a faulty or dangerous product for your car, and being expected to drive around in it until something bad happens.”

THE WORRY WAS too much for “Jenny”, a 37-year-old retail manager who is originally from Latvia. Harley Medical Group operated on her in 2007, at a cost to her of €6,000.

She has already paid to have the implants removed and replaced. Last year, Jenny began to experience pain in her left breast, a possible side effect of breast augmentation, and became concerned. On January 9th this year she received an email from Harley Medical Group, informing her she may have PIP implants. After a series of phone calls and a visit to Harley Medical Group, she still felt frustrated. Harley told her on January 19th that she would have to wait until the end of February for a scan, she says. A scan by another doctor had revealed that her left breast contained excess fluid, but it was unclear whether it was leaking. “I was terrified,” she says. “I was drained, not sleeping, not eating. I couldn’t take it any more. I just wanted them out.”

Jenny borrowed money for surgery, and had her implants replaced by Cosmedico in Co Wicklow at a cost of €3,500. A spokesperson for Harley Medical Group declined to comment for this article.

In November 2010 Harley Medical Group told the IMB, which is responsible for the regulation of medical devices, that it had written to all its Irish patients who had PIP implants. It later admitted that it had not contacted the women; the IMB says it was misinformed by Harley Medical Group and that its instructions to the clinic were not followed. Harley Medical Group now says it will remove and replace PIP implants for women with a confirmed rupture within six years of implantation.

The IMB says there is no current evidence of particular health risks associated with PIP implants, and it has advised women to seek clinical advice from their implanting surgeon or GP. Dr Tony Holohan, the chief medical officer at the Department of Health, echoes this advice, and says no women in Ireland had the procedure carried out in a public hospital.

Sean Leyden, executive director of Clane General Hospital, says it is following the guidelines laid down by the IMB. “The problem here is these implants were CE-approved. If a hospital can’t rely on a CE cert, we may as well close our doors. But this was a clear-cut case of the CE certifiers being lied to; it was fraud.”

Avril Scally, a solicitor with the Dublin firm Lavelle Coleman, is representing a number of Irish clients with PIP implants. “Without full information from the hospitals, clinics, distributors and manufacturers, it is not possible to paint the full picture, but it is clear that the women at the very least will have claims for negligence and breach of duty on foot of defective product legislation, as well as possible claims for breach of contract,” says Scally.

“There’s a lot of giggling and judging going on about this,” says Kyra. “Women who have spoken out about this have been targeted with degrading comments; on one forum, I was told that I signed a consent form and knew what I was getting myself into.

“Yes, I knew the risks of any general anaesthetic, any procedure. I also knew I picked a good clinic and one of the best surgeons. I trusted that I would be fitted with an approved, safe product. That’s not what I got. I never knew for one minute that I was going to get an implant with a higher chance of rupturing and leaking, a toxic product that was made for industry, not human bodies.”

Kyra’s online petition is at iti.ms/zzB7Ui

For PIP implant information, contact the Irish Medicines Board on 01-6764971

Implants and impropriety: How the PIP scandal is playing out around the world 

Up to 400,000 women in 65 countries are believed to been given breast implants made by PIP. Different governments have taken different positions, with disagreement about who should pay to remove the PIP implants and whether they must be removed in all cases. An EU expert group is due to report on the matter within the next fortnight.

A French expert committee has said that there is no increased risk of cancer for women with PIP implants compared to women with other breast implants. Along with Czech and German health authorities, however, France has advised that all women who have PIP implants should have them removed.

Brazilian health authorities have threatened to fine any private health plans that refuse to remove and replace the implants.

The department of health in the UK says there is not enough evidence to recommend routine removal of the implants, but it accepts that the implants are “made of non-medical grade silicone and should never have been implanted in women in the first place”. The NHS has offered to remove and replace the PIP implants for about 2,000 women whose surgery was carried out by the NHS.

Private patients can have the implants removed, but not replaced, on the NHS if their clinic has closed or refuses to remove them, provided there is a medical need. Crucially, however, the NHS says that women who are “extremely anxious” about their implants can also have them removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bettylil

Hi all

I have been following your posts and just want to say that I think it is shameful the way you have all been treated. I have no implants myself but know two girls who do and I know the difficulties they have had and the problems they now face. One has a rupture and the other is still trying to find out if they are pips.

As for the begrudgers just remember the old saying those who matter dont judge you and those who judge you don't matter

i think you are all going about it the right way the more you get it into the media the more you will get the public on your side when they hear what you all have all been going through.Don't let the stress of it wear you down and keep supporting each other as you do on this forum

good luck all of you

Bettylil

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

applejam wrote: »
    The article is also on line :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2012/0128/1224310854924.html

Out on bail: Jean-Claude Mas, founder of PIP, photographed after being arrested on a drink-driving offence in Costa Rica in 2010. Photograph: AP
    In this section »
    O'Connell Street, Ireland
    More than just a Scottish question
    Are we going out? I'll get my pyjamas
    Up to 1,500 women in Ireland have breast implants made by the French firm PIP. Three of them tell PETER McGUIRE of the
    worry, frustration and embarrassment they have experienced since problems with the implants were exposed

THE SILICONE WAS the type used in mattresses. Instead, it was put into breast implants, and these were put into women’s bodies. In Ireland, according to the Irish Medicines Board (IMB), up to 1,500 women who went for breast-enlargement operations were fitted with cheap, industrial-grade silicone implants made by the French firm Poly Implant Prothèse (PIP).

The suspect PIP implants were banned on safety grounds in France two years ago and have been removed from the market in several countries amid fears that they could rupture and leak silicone into the body. PIP was liquidated last year. On Thursday, its former director, Jean-Claude Mas, who is 72, was arrested in the south of France and placed under investigation on a criminal charge of causing bodily harm. He was released on €100,000 bail and is not allowed to leave France.

The PIP implants had received the CE – or European Conformity – mark, meaning they met the relevant EU safety requirements. But Mas has admitted to hiding from certification agencies for more than a decade the fact the company was using cheap, industrial silicone.

“Kyra” is a 31-year-old married mother of one, from Dublin, who works in residential care. Kyra is not her real name but a pseudonym she has used in online discussions. She had her breasts enlarged in 2006. The procedure was carried out by Harley Medical Group, using the PIP implants.

“I had never felt comfortable in my own skin,” she says. “I was constantly stuffing my bra, and using ‘chicken fillet’ bra inserts. I wanted to feel better about my self-image. It took me from an A-cup to a moderate C-cup. I picked a discreet surgeon who did natural-looking implants.”

Following a series of posts on boards.ielast week, Kyra received more than 30 messages, and has now set up an online petition, asking Minister for Health James Reilly to intervene on behalf of women carrying the PIP implants. She says Irish women have had to fight alone, without support from their clinics or from the Department of Health.

“The women are terrified of the effect this could have on their health. Nobody is asking the taxpayer to pay for any of this mess, but we want the cosmetic companies in Ireland to deal with this correctly. Women with these implants should be offered removal and replacement at no charge. In the long term, the industry needs stricter guidelines and regulations to stop this happening again.”

Debating the issue – with friends, with family or online – is difficult, says Kyra. She finds it frequently turns into an argument about the rights and wrongs of cosmetic surgery.

“I feel I’m constantly justifying myself. I’m asking people to park their personal opinions on cosmetic surgery. The issue is that the product is toxic, it didn’t deserve the quality mark it got, and the implants should be removed.”

Hence women with PIP implants have used online forums, particularly boards.ieand rollercoaster.ie, to communicate with each other. Comments have ranged from supportive to abusive. One person wrote that women who had breast implants were selfish and vain, and deserved to die of cancer.

Two more women with PIP implants who spoke to The Irish Times are reluctant to speak out publicly, and – like Kyra – will not be identified by their real names. “The surgery I had is so personal,” says “Marguerite”, a civil servant from Co Kildare, who is 38. “It was difficult enough to make the decision in the first place, without now having to tell the world about it. I live in a small rural community. I don’t ask anyone else’s business, and I would find it very humiliating to have everybody knowing mine. There’s a perception of extreme vanity and a fear that, if people know about it, they’ll judge your character on one aspect of your life.”

Three Irish clinics – the cosmetic-surgery unit at Clane General Hospital in Co Kildare, Harley Medical Group in Dublin and Shandon Street Hospital in Cork – are known to have used PIP implants. Shandon Street Hospital closed last year.

Marguerite’s operation was carried out at Clane General Hospital. She was examined this month and advised that her implants were intact. This week the hospital provided a follow-up scan, which confirmed that finding. If her implants had ruptured or were leaking, the hospital would remove and replace them without charge.

The PIP implants are more likely than other implants to rupture or leak in future, however, and Marguerite is worried that she will have to have, and pay for, regular scans. “It’s like paying top dollar for a faulty or dangerous product for your car, and being expected to drive around in it until something bad happens.”

THE WORRY WAS too much for “Jenny”, a 37-year-old retail manager who is originally from Latvia. Harley Medical Group operated on her in 2007, at a cost to her of €6,000.

She has already paid to have the implants removed and replaced. Last year, Jenny began to experience pain in her left breast, a possible side effect of breast augmentation, and became concerned. On January 9th this year she received an email from Harley Medical Group, informing her she may have PIP implants. After a series of phone calls and a visit to Harley Medical Group, she still felt frustrated. Harley told her on January 19th that she would have to wait until the end of February for a scan, she says. A scan by another doctor had revealed that her left breast contained excess fluid, but it was unclear whether it was leaking. “I was terrified,” she says. “I was drained, not sleeping, not eating. I couldn’t take it any more. I just wanted them out.”

Jenny borrowed money for surgery, and had her implants replaced by Cosmedico in Co Wicklow at a cost of €3,500. A spokesperson for Harley Medical Group declined to comment for this article.

In November 2010 Harley Medical Group told the IMB, which is responsible for the regulation of medical devices, that it had written to all its Irish patients who had PIP implants. It later admitted that it had not contacted the women; the IMB says it was misinformed by Harley Medical Group and that its instructions to the clinic were not followed. Harley Medical Group now says it will remove and replace PIP implants for women with a confirmed rupture within six years of implantation.

The IMB says there is no current evidence of particular health risks associated with PIP implants, and it has advised women to seek clinical advice from their implanting surgeon or GP. Dr Tony Holohan, the chief medical officer at the Department of Health, echoes this advice, and says no women in Ireland had the procedure carried out in a public hospital.

Sean Leyden, executive director of Clane General Hospital, says it is following the guidelines laid down by the IMB. “The problem here is these implants were CE-approved. If a hospital can’t rely on a CE cert, we may as well close our doors. But this was a clear-cut case of the CE certifiers being lied to; it was fraud.”

Avril Scally, a solicitor with the Dublin firm Lavelle Coleman, is representing a number of Irish clients with PIP implants. “Without full information from the hospitals, clinics, distributors and manufacturers, it is not possible to paint the full picture, but it is clear that the women at the very least will have claims for negligence and breach of duty on foot of defective product legislation, as well as possible claims for breach of contract,” says Scally.

“There’s a lot of giggling and judging going on about this,” says Kyra. “Women who have spoken out about this have been targeted with degrading comments; on one forum, I was told that I signed a consent form and knew what I was getting myself into.

“Yes, I knew the risks of any general anaesthetic, any procedure. I also knew I picked a good clinic and one of the best surgeons. I trusted that I would be fitted with an approved, safe product. That’s not what I got. I never knew for one minute that I was going to get an implant with a higher chance of rupturing and leaking, a toxic product that was made for industry, not human bodies.”

Kyra’s online petition is at iti.ms/zzB7Ui

For PIP implant information, contact the Irish Medicines Board on 01-6764971

Implants and impropriety: How the PIP scandal is playing out around the world

Up to 400,000 women in 65 countries are believed to been given breast implants made by PIP. Different governments have taken different positions, with disagreement about who should pay to remove the PIP implants and whether they must be removed in all cases. An EU expert group is due to report on the matter within the next fortnight.

A French expert committee has said that there is no increased risk of cancer for women with PIP implants compared to women with other breast implants. Along with Czech and German health authorities, however, France has advised that all women who have PIP implants should have them removed.

Brazilian health authorities have threatened to fine any private health plans that refuse to remove and replace the implants.

The department of health in the UK says there is not enough evidence to recommend routine removal of the implants, but it accepts that the implants are “made of non-medical grade silicone and should never have been implanted in women in the first place”. The NHS has offered to remove and replace the PIP implants for about 2,000 women whose surgery was carried out by the NHS.

Private patients can have the implants removed, but not replaced, on the NHS if their clinic has closed or refuses to remove them, provided there is a medical need. Crucially, however, the NHS says that women who are “extremely anxious” about their implants can also have them removed.

It makes me so angry when I hear tht IMB keep sayin B****T that there is no current evidence of particular health risks associated with PIP implants, and it has advised women to seek clinical advice from their implanting surgeon or GP. Dr Tony Holohan, the chief medical officer at the Department of Health, echoes this advice, and says no women in Ireland had the procedure carried out in a public hospital.

Why they making this excuse there is already enough of evidence

THE SILICONE WAS the type used in mattresses. Instead, it was put into breast implants, and these were put into women’s bodies.Are they telling us its ok to have those implants ,its a crime to even say that !!!!AND ITS ENOUGH OF EVIDENCE !!!How would they feel if their daughters would carry them around or son I know 1kg of this crap was at cost 41.50 euro .... IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY THEY MADE MONEY OUT OF US !!!! I please God everyday that they get what they deserve I really hope that day comes soon !!!! I am soooo angry !!! I was Jenny from Latvia in Irish News .My heart goes out to you girls and I am reading your stories and so wish to help you ..... If I could just win a lotto !! Hope there is some positiveness on the way ...Hope they will realize how wrong they are !!! I am thinking of you all !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

Saranna & Sherbett,
    I'm <snip> too with no rupture. I can understand why you're going ahead at €1,800 but I will be fighting (I hate that word, but you know what I mean) to have the right thing done for free.
    I'm wondering with Mas having been arrested y'day and a possible charge of manslaughter hanging over him, if things will progress in a good way for us victims.

Hiya Girls,

Yes we're all in the one crappy boat it seems, The <snip> Boat! I've no ruptures also, and feel exactly the same way you all do, I want these PIPS out now. I can understand how you want them out yesterday believe me, but in principal we should not have to fork out for their wrong doing to us. I for one, don't have the money right now to get them out, and even if I did, I don't think I'd be going with <snip>'s replacement implants, i.e. the brand of Eurosilicone breast implants.
    I put up an article there mid to late last week about Eurosilicone (just right click your mouse on my username, and select view more posts and you'll see the link, then open and read it). The present Director of the company Eurosilicone has allegations against him already with dodgy dealings regarding breast implants. I for one could not trust this product after reading the article. French manufacturer again, no way could I tempt fate again.

I personally think FDA approved implants are the way to go. Look at the States, they've no PIP problems. They've already gone through the whole breast implant scandal back in the late 80's or early 90's it was. Their regulatory authority (FDA) have much more stricter guidelines regarding medical devices, quality control checks on manufacturing facilities etc. This crowd go all the way and are top of their game, and put the Irish Medical Board to shame.

I will also be fighting to get them done at no charge to myself or anyone else. And I'll be telling "him" where to stick Eurosilicone and I won't be polite either about it. How dare he suggest we pay more money, how dare he suggest another inferior product, how dare he treat us like this. :mad: Rant over.

Look we all need to stick together, to support each other the way we have been. God bless boards for bringing us all together. Now we should be focusing on getting our petition "viral" on the internet, we haven't had a great response so far, we need those little hundreds to turn into thousands. So what I'm asking you all to do it forward the petition by email to everyone in your address book (you don't have to tell them your business but maybe suggest you know a close friend or family member going through this ordeal) and get them to sign it and pass it on. And keep the pressure on. ;)

Can I just say a massive well done to Kyra, Marguerite, Jenny on the article in yesterday's Irish Times. This is hopefully going to get the ball rolling again for us, and of course not forgetting Jean who was so brave initially to speak out. We're going to keep this going, be it on radio, in the papers, on TV, whatever it takes.

I received a standard letter back yesterday from the Minister for Health. Basically saying thanks for your letter blah blah blah, and how the reports show we're not in danger, and the follow the guidelines from the IMB. So in other words, just deal with your problem yourselves and see a surgeon if you're worried. :mad: This just makes me worse to hear this bull. And the Minister calls himself a doctor, laughable really. Wonder if his wife or daughter or sister in law had these implants would he still take the same stance on the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jenny67

Hi - i had my implants in 2007 in <snip>. I went to see consultant in hospital this week and told that it was not the hospital's responsibility,that i could not hold the dr responsible or the hospital as it was a case of fraud conducted by manufacturer. The consultant was very denfensive and told me that he was only standing in and not getting paid to talk to me (really that he was doing me a favour by seeing me). I am being sent to <snip> for a scan in a couple of weeks time. If the implants have not ruptured I have the option of having them replaced for a cost of €1800. I was told that the hospitals insurance willl not cover same because of fraud and that I should take it up with the IMB and the German company that gave it CE approval. When I expressed concern about having scars reopened I was told I already had scars from original op. The general attitude was that it was not the hospital's responsibility.

Yesterday I met up with Kyra for a coffee and a chat, and to offer my help and support in any way I can. Let me tell you this girl means business and will not be deterred by anyone or anything. I'm right up there with her too. She's a very intelligent, determined young woman with a young family just like the rest of us. Has great contacts and brilliant ideas, and I bet she even talks in her sleep!:D

There's a plan afoot for lots of things, and a lot of work to undertake, nothing that determined women can't handle, but being honest there's quite a volume of work to do and one or two people just can't do it on their own. Any help, big or small would be much welcomed and we plan on meeting up regularly going forward. No pressure will be put on anyone whatsoever. Phone calls, updating websites, blogs, computer admin work, social networking are just some of the tasks that spring to mind. Anyone with new ideas or suggestions also welcome too.

After meeting with Kyra yesterday, it's given me even more confidence and determination going forward. I think by meeting up as a regular group, it will also give us the strength and courage and sheer willpower to keep going. It's also an outlet to just meet up as a group of women to discuss anything relating to the situation we find ourselves in. It's not all going to be serious by the way, we did have a few laughs as well yesterday:D discussing what we'd like to do to certain people etc!
    Our health, and our families are our priority right now, and that's all we want back at the end of the day, is to feel healthy, both physically and mentally again. Stay positive out there and I'll check in later;)

jenny67 wrote: »
    Hi - i had my implants in 2007 in <snip>. I went to see consultant in hospital this week and told that it was not the hospital's responsibility,that i could not hold the dr responsible or the hospital as it was a case of fraud conducted by manufacturer. The consultant was very denfensive and told me that he was only standing in and not getting paid to talk to me (really that he was doing me a favour by seeing me). I am being sent to <snip> for a scan in a couple of weeks time. If the implants have not ruptured I have the option of having them replaced for a cost of €1800. I was told that the hospitals insurance willl not cover same because of fraud and that I should take it up with the IMB and the German company that gave it CE approval. When I expressed concern about having scars reopened I was told I already had scars from original op. The general attitude was that it was not the hospital's responsibility.

Hiya Jenny,
    I'm so angered hearing how that surgeon treated you this week.:mad: Did you go to see him by yourself, because you know he's great at speaking down to women on their own and for being dismissive with them. What a lowlife!

Of course the manufacturer is at fault here for fraud, but <snip> were a distributor/supplier of these fraudulent products too at the end of the day. A scan in a couple of weeks is not good enough Jenny so you ring them back and tell them you want to be seen much sooner, shout, scream, cry if you have to at them. Tell them you're beside yourself with worry and anxiety. The breast clinic is only open in <snip> on a Friday as far as I'm aware, but <snip> can send a letter/fax/email on your behalf AND IT'S THEIR DUTY OF CARE TO YOU AS A PATIENT to do this.

I too had them done in 07 there also and have dealt with this little man. His attitude stinks and he should be ashamed of himself. I'm due to go back and see him next month, and the way I'm feeling I'll probably be carted out of there by security!
    My advice to you now is get an earlier appointment for <snip>, don't speak to the surgeon, ring the Director of Nursing in <snip>, she's a woman and will be more mannerly than that excuse for a man.
    Then ring Avril Scally in Lavelle Coleman and tell her your situation and story, and she'll advise you and you'll be much more confident about the situation after speaking to her;)

Hi Jenny,
    I totally agree with you. Same standard blah blah response from the Irish Medical Board, what a mickey mouse crowd of nobodies they are. I'm a firm believer in Karma...........what goes around comes around, and they will all get what they deserve.

How are you feeling now after your op? Hope everything went ok for you and you're much happier in yourself. Concentrate on getting yourself back in action and we'll be only glad to have your support and help. Mind yourself x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Upset lady

Hi Everyone

This is my first time posting but have been reading the forum everyday. I too have implants and went with <snip> but had my surgeon done in <snip>. Heard and interview on a local radio station with the MD of <snip>... shes a woman saying they had never used PIP but thought I'd better ring just to be sure. I got through to the receptionist who said shed ring me back. She rang me back 5 mins later to say I had PIP implants...I couldn't believe what I was hearing said I was one of the misfortunate ones!!! That was 3 weeks ago... since then I went for a mammogram but had to get a referral from my GP who didnt know anything about my breast aug. He rang me last week to say everything was fine on mammogram and nothing sinister showing. Thank God but everyone on here seems to of had a scan or is it the same thing? Myself and my husband have been onto <snip> a few times and they are denying that they heard anything from the IMB until a few weeks ago... dont believe a word of it. Dont think I would ever have found out unless I rang them myself. Sorry for ranting on so much....was devastated when I found out first having nightmares and all. It seems so real now that I'm writing this. Anyway have an appoint to see the surgeon on Tuesday <snip> ...I know im gonna have them replaced but dont have any trust in the surgeon and I researched this so much before having the op done in 2009.
    Really thought he was the best man for the job and paid top dollar for the privilage!
    I read the Irish times yesterday ...girls ye should be very proud of yerselfs...dont know what I would of done initially without this forum to read ....I felt so alone and afraid even though my husband has been great. Always kept my breast aug op very private. But I think that this is how they get way with it... they know this is what most women do.
    Thanks alot for listening to me and will let ye know how I get on after Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 catch1

Hi ladies,
    I had implants and uplift done 2005 <snip> in <snip>, I have PIP!!
    It took so much for me to get the courage to make the decision to have this surgery...and now this,Im so worried..I have been to my GP and she is sending me for a mammogram in 3wks time. Iv been looking at alot of your posts and it seems to me you all had MRI done.. Im scared that the mammogram will do further damage, it is supposed to be quiet painful and rough having it done, not good for PIP ladies!!!! <snip> wont see me without a radiographers report, see if there is a rupture??? Dont really know what to do next, any advice will be greatfully recieved.My husband and I are the only ones who know about my implants, my family just wouldnt understand..Another thing is alot of women are getting them removed and not replaced, I had no breast tissue left after having four kids, and then with the scars I have already from the lift, god...I can imagine how Id look with the implants taken out...and not replaced :((((( very worrying time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

Hi Upset Lady,
    glad to hear you got good news on your mammogram, although am surprised you were referred for a mammogram as they are not recommended to check the integrity of breast implants as there is a small chance your implants can be ruptured due to the pressure put on your breasts during a mammogram and if you already have a rupture, again the pressure may cause more of the silicon gel to exude from the implant. (Obviously if you are screened for breast cancer, then the benefits of a mammogram with breast implants outweighs the very small risk of rupture). But in your case, it wasn't a problem as they have confirmed that you don't have any ruptures but it's just something to remember for the future - a breast MRI is what is recommended by the FDA and other authorities for checking the integrity of breast implants.

Best of luck meeting your surgeon and hopefully you will get more satisfaction from him that any of us have had from <snip> or <snip>!

catch1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies,
    I had implants and uplift done 2005 <snip>, I have PIP!!
    It took so much for me to get the courage to make the decision to have this surgery...and now this,Im so worried..I have been to my GP and she is sending me for a mammogram in 3wks time. Iv been looking at alot of your posts and it seems to me you all had MRI done.. Im scared that the mammogram will do further damage, it is supposed to be quiet painful and rough having it done, not good for PIP ladies!!!! <snip> wont see me without a radiographers report, see if there is a rupture??? Dont really know what to do next, any advice will be greatfully recieved.My husband and I are the only ones who know about my implants, my family just wouldnt understand..Another thing is alot of women are getting them removed and not replaced, I had no breast tissue left after having four kids, and then with the scars I have already from the lift, god...I can imagine how Id look with the implants taken out...and not replaced :((((( very worrying time.

As I said to Upset Lady, a mammogram is not recommended to check the integrity of breast implants, ask your GP to refer you for a breast MRI instead. If you are outside of Dublin, the only place my GP could find to do one (I live in Limerick), was the Galway Clinic. Your health insurance might cover it if you have any (the MRI dept. can tell you this over the phone anyway), otherwise you will unfortunately have to pay for it (around €300).

It is not reasonable for <snip> to only cover the removal of your implants and not their replacement just because you are one year outside their remove and replace offer. Get in touch with a solicitor as soon as you can and have a chat with them to see how you should proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

Hi upset lady,
    I got mine done with <snip> too. But they told me the next time <snip> will be in <snip> is the 8 of feb I found out about 3 weeks ago too. Going to ring them in the morning and demand to be seen Tuesday can't believe they put me off another week. Im not nervous think mine are fine no pain or anything but want to get them checked. Have an app with my own gp tomorrow. But doubt she'll know anything about it.

When I rang <snip> I was treated so bad they told me thay'd ring me back but didn't so I rang them back. Was told they couldn't find my files as they were on pieces of paper around after being faxed over from <snip> I asked to speak to the manager she was supposed to call me back but didn't so I had to ring her for the 3rd time she had no sympathy for me and was quite rude on the phone still didn't have my files had to wait til the next day to find out.
    Hope to get it all sorted soon. Hate the fact that have to have another op done was so lucky with the first and didn't think I'd have to worry for another good few years about replacing them

Hi Belle2012

My husband also asked to speak to the manager think she was called <snip>
    but never returned his call. Instead I received a letter the following day with a printout of IMB stating non removal of PIP implants and saying <snip> were doing their best for their patients blah blah blah.
    The receptionist also said that they would remove PIP free but charging to replace them. She sounded sympathetic enough but had only worked there since August. Got an appoint for 31st Jan said that was the next time <snip> would be in <snip>. She also told me that they stopped using PIPs in March 09..same time I had my op done. I know I'll have to get theses implants removed but had a lot of pain first time round so dont know what I'm gonna do.

Hi Upset Lady,
    glad to hear you got good news on your mammogram, although am surprised you were referred for a mammogram as they are not recommended to check the integrity of breast implants as there is a small chance your implants can be ruptured due to the pressure put on your breasts during a mammogram and if you already have a rupture, again the pressure may cause more of the silicon gel to exude from the implant. (Obviously if you are screened for breast cancer, then the benefits of a mammogram with breast implants outweighs the very small risk of rupture). But in your case, it wasn't a problem as they have confirmed that you don't have any ruptures but it's just something to remember for the future - a breast MRI is what is recommended by the FDA and other authorities for checking the integrity of breast implants.

Best of luck meeting your surgeon and hopefully you will get more satisfaction from him that any of us have had from the Harley Medical Group or Clane Hospital!

Hi Evergreen girl

Thanks for that information. When I went for the mamo didnt know if they were ruptured or not. I went to my GP and he rang the hospital and they recommended that. It cost 165. I just had a look at the FDA website... do you think I should still get am mri done.
    Not holding my breath with <snip> from speaking on the phone to them and from what I have read here. I think they are all lying to cover themselves.... the receptionist there said they were approved by the IMB but forgot to tell me that they only paid 50Euro for them.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Belle2012

Upset lady wrote: »
    Hi Belle2012

My husband also asked to speak to the manager think she was called Isebelle,
    but never returned his call. Instead I received a letter the following day with a printout of IMB stating non removal of PIP implants and saying <snip> were doing their best for their patients blah blah blah.
    The receptionist also said that they would remove PIP free but charging to replace them. She sounded sympathetic enough but had only worked there since August. Got an appoint for 31st Jan said that was the next time <snip> would be in <snip>. She also told me that they stopped using PIPs in March 09..same time I had my op done. I know I'll have to get theses implants removed but had a lot of pain first time round so dont know what I'm gonna do.
    O my god upset lady,
    What another load of lies I didn't get mine til 9july 09 and I have pip's and haven't gotten any written confirmation can't believe they are being so dismissive of my case. And how many others don't know they have pips if they're telling people this. The manager is Isobel but you'll be wasting your breath talking to her.
    Totally agree with getting them removed you must be dreading it. Not looking forward to it myself but if my first op is anything to go by I should be ok positive! thinking and all that. Also have holidays planned for August so would hope to be well over it by then.

Belle2012 wrote: »
    O my god upset lady,
    What another load of lies I didn't get mine til 9july 09 and I have pip's and haven't gotten any written confirmation can't believe they are being so dismissive of my case. And how many others don't know they have pips if they're telling people this. The manager is Isobel but you'll be wasting your breath talking to her.
    Totally agree with getting them removed you must be dreading it. Not looking forward to it myself but if my first op is anything to go by I should be ok positive! thinking and all that. Also have holidays planned for August so would hope to be well over it by then.

Yea Bella2012 we're being told a pack of lies... Don't know if I'd have any confidence in <snip> to replace implants. I'll see what he has to offer on Tues. There seems to be a few other women on here that also went to <snip>. They also told me on the phone that only people who had surgery in <snip> got PIP implants.
    Wish I never got them in the first place ... Wasn't something I did lightly:(

• Advertisement

Yea Bella2012 we're being told a pack of lies... Don't know if I'd have any confidence in <snip> to replace implants. I'll see what he has to offer on Tues. There seems to be a few other women on here that also went to <snip>. They also told me on the phone that only people who had surgery in <snip> got PIP implants.
    Wish I never got them in the first place ... Wasn't something I did lightly:(

Sorry to hear you're having a crappy time of it ladies in <snip> with <snip> shower. I'm glad you've joined boards and started posting. There's 1500 of us Irish women going through this nightmare so I really hope more ladies join up soon.
    Don't be beating yourself up for getting implants in the first place, this is not your fault. None of us took the decision lightly, we all did our own research on clinics, surgeons and paid top whack to have the procedure. They're all hiding behind each other and blaming everyone else except themselves. Sooner or later they'll have to take responsibility for their actions, and the defective faulty cheap products they used.
    Good luck with your appointments next week girls, please take someone with you for moral support as well, and take no guff from these surgeons. Give them hell;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 erikalsb

<snip> are offering to replace my implants free of charge as I am so broke and cant afford to go anywhere else am I making the wrong decision? My left breast is ruptured and it could be a big job.............anyone give me advise as to what to do? should I save and go elsewhere as I am worried they might find something and not tell me during operation..........thanks for support guys x

Pixiejane wrote: »
    Hi Jenny,
    I totally agree with you. Same standard blah blah response from the Irish Medical Board, what a mickey mouse crowd of nobodies they are. I'm a firm believer in Karma...........what goes around comes around, and they will all get what they deserve.

How are you feeling now after your op? Hope everything went ok for you and you're much happier in yourself. Concentrate on getting yourself back in action and we'll be only glad to have your support and help. Mind yourself x

Hi . Hope you ok today !
    I was so sick of nerves on the day of op I didnt know what to expect after my bad scan !!
    Itwas so different itwas like I was forced to do smth I never wanted and felt so alone and scared and I didnt had a choice I couldnt go back or change my mind I knew I have to be strong to get them out for my health reasons !! After op I didnt even want to look at them ,I didn't care how good they look , I wasn't excited to see the result like itwas on 2007... All what I was thinking about ,am I ok !!?? I am still recovering I am having very bad pain in my back and mentally I am so drained .. Plus all the money worries now ....
    But I always tell myself it could be worst , someone is having bigger problems than mine and it does make me stronger after thinking that !!
    And ah yeah I am so ready for action I will do anth it takes to get those a****** to realize what they have done to us !!! I will IMB tom to see what they came up with tom as I was told thr is big EU meetin tom !!! Good luck to you all with evrth you do !!! Jenny/Saulite

erikalsb wrote: »
    <snip> are offering to replace my implants free of charge as I am so broke and cant afford to go anywhere else am I making the wrong decision? My left breast is ruptured and it could be a big job.............anyone give me advise as to what to do? should I save and go elsewhere as I am worried they might find something and not tell me during operation..........thanks for support guys x

Erikalsb, obviously there is a trust issue with <snip> at the moment but at the same time, anyone who had their breasts done there were very happy i think, until we found out they used PIPs but I totally understand your fears. The important thing is to make sure you will be operated on by a surgeon with sufficient experience in explantation, particularly the explantation of ruptured implants. I think most women, if they can afford it, will go to another clinic but if it is going to be a serious struggle to come up with the money, then it may be worth thinking about going back to <snip> as there is no guarantee any of us will be able to get our money back.

I really think you should contact Lavelle Coleman solicitors for their advice especially since <snip> have made you a direct offer. You prob shouldn't consent to anything or sign anything from them until you've spoken to a solicitor just in case it might affect any future claim you may wish to make.

We're all thinking of you, as any of us could also be in your position once we get our scans.

Hi Evergreen girl

Thanks for that information. When I went for the mamo didnt know if they were ruptured or not. I went to my GP and he rang the hospital and they recommended that. It cost 165. I just had a look at the FDA website... do you think I should still get am mri done.
    Not holding my breath with the <snip> from speaking on the phone to them and from what I have read here. I think they are all lying to cover themselves.... the receptionist there said they were approved by the IMB but forgot to tell me that they only paid 50Euro for them.

Thanks again

Hi Upset lady,
    I'm sure there's no need to get an MRI after your mammogram, after all if a mammogram can detect breast tumours, I'm sure it would def tell you if you had a ruptured implant.

I don't think any of them are going to admit they were in the wrong by using cheap implants, so wasting our time trying to get satisfaction from them regarding that.

They are however, very much in the wrong for not telling us in March 2010 that we had PIP implants. So I think they have a serious case to answer to any women with ruptures as those ruptures could have been detected in March 2010 instead of nearly 2 years later.

As I said to Upset Lady, a mammogram is not recommended to check the integrity of breast implants, ask your GP to refer you for a breast MRI instead. If you are outside of Dublin, the only place my GP could find to do one (I live in Limerick), was the Galway Clinic. Your health insurance might cover it if you have any (the MRI dept. can tell you this over the phone anyway), otherwise you will unfortunately have to pay for it (around €300).

It is not reasonable for <snip> to only cover the removal of your implants and not their replacement just because you are one year outside their remove and replace offer. Get in touch with a solicitor as soon as you can and have a chat with them to see how you should proceed.

Thanks Evergreen girl.. I am going to ring my GP now and get her to get MRI apt..hopefully wont have to wait too long for this, i had to wait 6wks for mammogram, everything is standing still for me, hard to function when you have this hanging over you...Yes I will fight <snip> on the 6 yr cut off point, just need to have the scan done first,see where I stand!!!! x

• Advertisement

Hi Upset lady,
    I'm sure there's no need to get an MRI after your mammogram, after all if a mammogram can detect breast tumours, I'm sure it would def tell you if you had a ruptured implant.

I don't think any of them are going to admit they were in the wrong by using cheap implants, so wasting our time trying to get satisfaction from them regarding that.

They are however, very much in the wrong for not telling us in March 2010 that we had PIP implants. So I think they have a serious case to answer to any women with ruptures as those ruptures could have been detected in March 2010 instead of nearly 2 years later.

Thanks Evergreen Girl
    You are probably right theres prob no need for a MRI as well... just so worried as I have always had discomfort with mine. <snip> are denying that IMB contacted in Dec 10 and were only told of this issue recently but I dont believe a word of it. Thanks again for your help and best of luck with your scan... will be thinking of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bella2012

Hi ladies

I am having my surgery this week to get my reputered implant removed which I am dreading and terrified about! Have any of u had them removed yet? If so how did it go.? X

Pixiejane wrote: »
    Yesterday I met up with Kyra for a coffee and a chat, and to offer my help and support in any way I can. Let me tell you this girl means business and will not be deterred by anyone or anything. I'm right up there with her too. She's a very intelligent, determined young woman with a young family just like the rest of us. Has great contacts and brilliant ideas, and I bet she even talks in her sleep!:D

There's a plan afoot for lots of things, and a lot of work to undertake, nothing that determined women can't handle, but being honest there's quite a volume of work to do and one or two people just can't do it on their own. Any help, big or small would be much welcomed and we plan on meeting up regularly going forward. No pressure will be put on anyone whatsoever. Phone calls, updating websites, blogs, computer admin work, social networking are just some of the tasks that spring to mind. Anyone with new ideas or suggestions also welcome too.

After meeting with Kyra yesterday, it's given me even more confidence and determination going forward. I think by meeting up as a regular group, it will also give us the strength and courage and sheer willpower to keep going. It's also an outlet to just meet up as a group of women to discuss anything relating to the situation we find ourselves in. It's not all going to be serious by the way, we did have a few laughs as well yesterday:D discussing what we'd like to do to certain people etc!
    Our health, and our families are our priority right now, and that's all we want back at the end of the day, is to feel healthy, both physically and mentally again. Stay positive out there and I'll check in later;)

Hi Pixiejane,
    You can count me in for anything that needs doing, I'm not bad on the computer and have no problem speaking to anyone, makes my blood boil to thing that HMG and the other clinics think they can get away with this:mad:

bella2012 wrote: »
    Hi ladies

I am having my surgery this week to get my reputered implant removed which I am dreading and terrified about! Have any of u had them removed yet? If so how did it go.? X

Hi , I am so sorry to hear you are goin tru this !!!
    I had them removed last friday , I had a small leak in my left breast and smth in my right .. I was like you very very nervous and scared ..But in the same time I tried to keep calm and win the nerves I also knew I wouldn't feel a thing while op goes ... But I know 1 thing for sure you feel so much better when they are out !! I am still recovering but feeling better with each day !! Stay strong and calm , its gonna be over soon for you !!! Good luck I hope this helps you little !!

saulite wrote: »
    Hi . Hope you ok today !
    I was so sick of nerves on the day of op I didnt know what to expect after my bad scan !!
    Itwas so different itwas like I was forced to do smth I never wanted and felt so alone and scared and I didnt had a choice I couldnt go back or change my mind I knew I have to be strong to get them out for my health reasons !! After op I didnt even want to look at them ,I didn't care how good they look , I wasn't excited to see the result like itwas on 2007... All what I was thinking about ,am I ok !!?? I am still recovering I am having very bad pain in my back and mentally I am so drained .. Plus all the money worries now ....
    But I always tell myself it could be worst , someone is having bigger problems than mine and it does make me stronger after thinking that !!
    And ah yeah I am so ready for action I will do anth it takes to get those a****** to realize what they have done to us !!! I will IMB tom to see what they came up with tom as I was told thr is big EU meetin tom !!! Good luck to you all with evrth you do !!! Jenny/Saulite

Ah Jenny(Saulite), sounds like you've been to hell and back again, but you'll be all the stronger for it soon. Your recovery is most important now so make sure you're resting plenty and catch up on watching some films/dvd's or read a book to relax yourself. Have a friend over for a chat maybe. And you're right there's always someone worse off.....look at that poor girl whose body was found in a travel bag at the weekend in Dublin. What a horrible end to her young life and now her poor family has to deal with that.................so when I hear something like that it just brings me to a much more positive place in my head.
    Look forward to catching up with you when you're feeling on top form again;)

• Advertisement

Hi Pixiejane,
    You can count me in for anything that needs doing, I'm not bad on the computer and have no problem speaking to anyone, makes my blood boil to thing that <snip> and the other clinics think they can get away with this:mad:

Happy days, thanks for that Sue, be in touch soon

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DD14

Hi,
    I arrived home from my holiday last week to discover 2 letters from <snip>, one saying its likely I had PIP implants. This was not what I wanted to read and it certainly has taken the enjoyment out of my holiday.
    I emailed <snip> straight away but have still not received a reply.
    Today I rang <snip> where the operation took place back in 2002 and the lady there confirmed my implants are PIPs. This evening I rang <snip> and the phone was answered by a male, would have liked to talked to a female. He just took all my details and said the PIP helpline are under pressure to reply but I should be contacted in the next 48 hours.

I am very concerned the implants have ruptured, as 3 years ago I could feel a rippling, I had them examined at that time, by a doctor in <snip> who just felt them and said they were fine, never suggested a scan.
    Can someone tell me are <snip> offering free scans or do I need to be referred by my GP for a scan.

DD14 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I arrived home from my holiday last week to discover 2 letters from <snip>, one saying its likely I had PIP implants. This was not what I wanted to read and it certainly has taken the enjoyment out of my holiday.
    Today I rang <snip> where the operation took place back in 2002 and the lady there confirmed my implants are PIPs. This evening I rang <snip> and the phone was answered by a male, would have liked to talked to a female. He just took all my details and said the PIP helpline are under pressure to reply but I should be contacted in the next 48 hours.

I am very concerned the implants have ruptured, as 3 years ago I could feel a rippling, I had them examined at that time, by a doctor in <snip> who just felt them and said they were fine, never suggested a scan.
    Can someone tell me are <snip> offering free scans or do I need to be referred by my GP for a scan.

Not what you wanted to read on return from a holiday alright, glad you posted though. I had mine done in <snip> by <snip> and they sent me for an ultrasound in <snip>. <snip> are a nightmare to deal with from what I've read on the posts here, but if you read back on some of the posts the info is in there somewhere, check out Kyra123 posts, she's a <snip> patient too, and in the meantime girls please can someone advise this lady, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 coh123

Hi Pixiejane,
    You can count me in for anything that needs doing, I'm not bad on the computer and have no problem speaking to anyone, makes my blood boil to thing that <snip> and the other clinics think they can get away with this:mad:

Hi pixie Jane I was talking to kyra and enforce u met for coffee and asked to keep me updated! I would love to meet u on a regular basis and will do anything to help! U can either private message me or kyra has my other details so anything I can do I will!

Hi,

HI, I am a <snip> patient too, I was told by <snip> to attend my GP and get a referral for a scan... Takes 6wks to get scan..I suppose you can get one privately too hurry the process up!!! Good luck, I was told by <snip> they wont see me till I have Radiographers report....

Hi,

Hi DD14 I also had my surgery done with <snip> in <snip> not <snip>, You need to keep bombarding them with calls tell them you want your medical records. I went to my GP and she gave me a referral for<snip> for an Ultrasound it cost me 200 euro! Thankfully though my haven't ruptured. I also contacted Lavelle Coleman Solicitors who are dealing with most of our cases they are very helpful and Avril Scally will give you advice on what you need to do their number is 01 6445800. Hope this helps let me know if you need anymore info and I'll do my best to help.

Hi DD14,
    <snip> are not offering free scans nor will they arrange one for you. You will need to ask your GP to refer you for a breast MRI. Not every MRI dept. does them but <snip> does if you are outside Dublin. A couple of places in Dublin as well (read through the thread). If you have a confirmed rupture, then <snip> will arrange an appointment for you, otherwise you are wasting your time trying to contact them as they will just keep telling you there is no problem with your implants unless they are ruptured.

A lot of us with <snip> have contacted Lavell Coleman solicitors and it might be worth your while speaking to them.

The important thing is not to panic and try not to read all the PIP rupture stories on the net - whether they are true or not, they will frighten the crap out of you and will not be good for your mental health :(

Well I have finally found out for definite that I have PIPs. Had been sent my medical records last Friday by <snip> but as there was no cover letter or note from them advising me if I had PIP implants or where to find the information in the records, I couldn't find where it said I had PIPs (31 pages to go through so not that easy to find!).

Anyways for anyone else searching through their records and having as much difficulty as me :o, look for the "Operation" sheet and in the very top corner, there should be a REF and Lot number for both implants and under this it says in small writing "P.I.P. - La Seyne Sur Mer - France", which I guess is confirmation that the implants I received are PIP.

Have app with surgeon from a different clinic tomorrow and hoping he can tell me that they are not ruptured by feeling them as my mri app is not till 7th Feb and would love some reassurance before then, esp as I breastfed my baby girl up until I heard I might have PIPs and I'm really worried about the effect any leaking gel might have had on her, so would be great to know that they aren't ruptured even if that means I have to pay myself to have them replaced.

By the way, Kyra, you are really doing great work. Know I haven't posted much but have been reading this thread every day and it's been a great help.

Hi Evergreen girl,
    I had implants done at <snip> 2005(<snip>).. I recieved my med records too, I cant see any mention of PIP on mine.there is a section for make/model and it has a scibbled word allright(doctors writing) But definitly does not say PIP???? I have apt to see breast surgeon at matter hosp( GP refferal) 2 wks time...hopefully it goes well!!

catch1 wrote: »
    Hi Evergreen girl,
    I had implants done at <snip> 2005(<snip>).. I recieved my med records too, I cant see any mention of PIP on mine.there is a section for make/model and it has a scibbled word allright(doctors writing) But definitly does not say PIP???? I have apt to see breast surgeon at matter hosp( GP refferal) 2 wks time...hopefully it goes well!!

Hi Catch1,
    look at your <snip> Operation Sheet (basically the sheet with the surgeons notes about how your operation went - it should be dated with the date of your operation). I know there is another sheet with details for implants chosen - size etc., but this would have been dated with the date of your consultation with the surgeon prior to your surgery. This sheet did not have any details of the brand of implant (well it didn't on mine anyway).

On my Operation sheet, what looks like 2 stickers (hard to tell as it's a photocopy) were placed on the top corner of the sheet. The stickers had a LOT and REF number and were signed by my surgeon. At the bottom of the stickers in tiny writing, it says "P.I.P. - La Seyne Sur Mer - France". It took me 4 reads of my records before I finally spotted this, so maybe look through them again a couple of times or have someone else look at them for you. God forbid, <snip> would make things easy for us!

If you still have no luck, bring them to your breast surgeon appointment. He/she might know where to find the info.

Best of luck with your appointment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement