Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

elderlemon wrote: »
    I have both. Went from the SG2 to the GN and now that I've got ICS on the SG2 I've gone back to it. The GN is a great phone, but for me , its just too big. The screen size of the SG2 and its thinness and lightness wins for me.

Probably going to stick the GN up on adverts soon once I'm completely sure the SG2 is happy with ICS.

I compared both handsets size wise in the store and there's only about a centimetercentimeter in the difference. Both are giants compared to the desire, so for me it's going to feel oversized either way in the beginning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Its a centimeter longer (the GN that is) in length and a mil or two width. Its also (of feels) substantially thicker and weightier than the SG2.

For me its enough to make the difference.
    Cianos wrote: »
    I compared both handsets size wise in the store and there's only about a centimetercentimeter in the difference. Both are giants compared to the desire, so for me it's going to feel oversized either way in the beginning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,779 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've a Desire since June 2010 and Meteor have been ringing me since June 2011 trying to get me into another contract. I bought the original one for about 140 and a 12 month 35 euro a month 200 min/200 txt/1 gig contract.
    I moved over to their 15 quid monthy deal *for the same min/txt/data* in December.
    I've had my desire running the latesd Cyanogenmod since just after I bought the phone.
    I've thought about upgrading but I do wonder is it really worth it at the moment.
    I am on a very good monthly rate and it covers what I need. (upgrading would mean a tie in to a more expensive contract.
    The Desire (with a custom ROM) is capable of running whatever SW comes out.
    And mainly - despite all the hardware changes and improvements, in my opinion battery technology is not advancing fast enough.

That said, I like both phones that this thread is about but from a financial/functionality pov I wont be moving to another phone until I have to and at that point I hope there will be something out there significently better than the desire..
    Sorry, probably hasn't added anything to the discussion but adding my 2 cents.

Part of the reason I'd be upgrading is because I can sell my Desire for probably around 100 quid at the moment. So a top of the range phone with upgrade is going to work out less than 200 quid. Plus if I want to I could sell it on for more than I paid for it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Part of the reason I'd be upgrading is because I can sell my Desire for probably around 100 quid at the moment.

Seriously ??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

rommy wrote: »
    S2 is getting ICS very soon in fact if you use an AOSP rom you can have it right now :)

Yeah but the stock launcher on the nexus is way better than touchwiz, which sucks!

Edit: Nexus as stock, is far better I think. I know you can change the launcher but...good enough out of the box, which is a first for an Android phone imo.

Seriously ??!

:confused:

I was expecting to log on to adverts and see Desires being sold for less than 100, but most are going for a good bit more so I'm not sure what your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Seriously ??!
    CPW gave me 110 euro for my Desire as a trade in against my new S2, I definitely could have gotten more if i'd been bothered to put it up on Adverts.

:confused:

I was expecting to log on to adverts and see Desires being sold for less than 100, but most are going for a good bit more so I'm not sure what your point is?

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question. It surprises me they go for so much - thats all

• Advertisement

I wasn't making a point I was asking a question. It surprises me they go for so much - thats all

They are still a decent phone tbf.

kippy wrote: »
    They are still a decent phone tbf.

I use one myself I know - I just didn't think anyone would buy them in this time of iphone4s's and nexus's and S2's and soon to come S3's.

I was going to upgrade for an S2 myself but I think I will wait to see what S3 type thingy comes out

I use one myself I know - I just didn't think anyone would buy them in this time of iphone4s's and nexus's and S2's and soon to come S3's.

I was going to upgrade for an S2 myself but I think I will wait to see what S3 type thingy comes out
    Like my post above, I assume that not everyone wants to get tied into a relatively expensive contract to get a smart phone - without the contract they are essentially paying a few hundred yos for a smartphone so a second had desire is a decent compromise.

kippy wrote: »
    Like my post above, I assume that not everyone wants to get tied into a relatively expensive contract to get a smart phone - without the contract they are essentially paying a few hundred yos for a smartphone so a second had desire is a decent compromise.

Fair enough - I tend not to look it that way as I always buy off contract since it inevitably works out cheaper. Althou that said the prices are becoming ridiculous -its alot to shell out at once

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I see loads of S1s (i9000) on sale for 500 euros plus on ebay. Who would pay that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Hey Lads anymore input on this. I am currently using a htc desire hd with custom rom but I am due an upgrade and I am torn between the Nexus, the S2 and the HTC sensation. Originally I had said I would like the sensation as I didnt like the build quality of the S2 ie the cheap plastic feel but then having seen a few work colleges and friends with them they look like a nice bit of kit the display is just amazing. But then I noticed the Nexus and I think is looks better than the S2 but I have never held one.
    Another thing is I dont like going for phones that loads of people have ie the s2 and Iphone 4s.

The only thing bothering me about the nexus is its running an older processor than the S2, and you cant zoom in on a mobile web page.
    I think it looks better than the S2 and the fact you cant put a sd card in it doesnt bother me a 16g is big enough for me.

By the way I mainly use my phone for facebook, twitter surfing the net, checking football results and news. I take the odd picture but not alot. Dont really listen to too much music on it but would have some albums on it.
    So if anyone has anything that could sway me away from the Nexus just let me know tnx :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I have the S2 it has a poor build quality and it nearly falls out of your hand like a bar of soap. But ever since I bought the otterbox cover it's 10 times better. Regarding processor speed, screen and battery is excellent. I used to have the desire but got an upgrade for 55 euro in the carphone warehouse

Advertisement