Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overtraining, how to correct it?

Options
  • 28-01-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

I have been training hard recently and now got to a stage where I am wrecked and I'm not improving. This week I went hard for three days and I was recently dropped by my club mates on a club spin where we were going very hard. I only got 5 hours sleep last 3 days so my performance has gone back and I have been going very well up to lately and now I'm tired and going backwards.

This week I did 100km last Sat at 25km/h avg speed with 10 hard sprints thrown in at end of spin. Sunday I did a recovery spin on turbo in the morning and Mark Kavanadish dvd video Sunday evening. On Monday I did 62km solo at 29.5km/h hard effort and 32km/h yesterday on a club spin (50km)and got dropped at the end by two strong riders who I was matching performance wise until yesterday. I have got my fitness spot on until mid January and now I'm going backwards.

OK I know I've burned out but what I'm doing now is I'm taking 3-5 days off bike to recover and trying to get 8-9 hours of sleep from today on. Anyone can offer me advice on how I should plan a week without burning out bad. I have no energy now, feel very negative about my cycling and not feeling good form wise. Will I reach my Peak performance again? I'm planning to do Lacey cup and I have overtrained and need to get something going again to get my form back.

Thanks for any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chill out! It's supposed to be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Amprodude wrote: »
    Will I reach my Peak performance again?

Of course you will. Relax and try not to overtrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Dont freak yourself out, as mentioned above just relax, eat a little more, sleep alot more, have a pint and a laugh, dont think about the bike for a few days and let your body recharge n repair. the bodys an amazing bit o kit ( medical term) and you will definetly get your form back. Also just go out for slow amblinging cycles and fall back in love with cycling. you'll be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Its January..you seem to have the intensity wrong. It should mainly be about volume.. Long steady spins...some efforts but not too intense..build a good base. Work from that. What you are doing is putting too much stress on the body too early. Its on the rest cycle that the body repairs and adapts to training load. No recovery eventually leads to fatigue which cab lead to over training.
    How long are you racing? What Cat are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Its January..you seem to have the intensity wrong. It should mainly be about volume.. Long steady spins...some efforts but not too intense..build a good base. Work from that. What you are doing is putting too much stress on the body too early. Its on the rest cycle that the body repairs and adapts to training load. No recovery eventually leads to fatigue which cab lead to over training.
    How long are you racing? What Cat are you?

Year 2 racing in A4 cat. I know my plan isn't working and I have hit a wall at this stage. Very annoyed but I want to peak in 4 weeks and I haven't the training right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

It's quite obvious. Cycle less intensive efforts so close together. Read a book about training also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

There's no point in comparing yourself against other riders at this stage of the year. Several reasons. They might not have trained hard like you for several days and so were fresh for climbs. They may still be focusing on endurance and not done any interval work. Coach (if they have one) may have told them to do specific things in their workout etc etc. Come race time is the time to make comparisons.

Not sure if it's wise to peak for the 1st race of the year. If you're feeling burned out now, you should get good rest. That's critical. Maybe your iron levels are low? Spatone is useful for that. When you get back on the bike don't go hell for leather straight away again. Build it up slowly for 2 weeks.

Do you have an annual training plan by the way or a coach? Do you check your accumulated training stress scores at the end of the week or compare acute training load v chronic training load? If you use Trainingpeaks or Golden Cheetah these tools help you a lot to prevent overtraining.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's quite obvious. Cycle less intensive efforts so close together. Read a book about training also.

What do you recommend when spacing out intensive efforts? Monday Wednesday Friday or Monday Thursday and how hard should I go? I scrapped my plans for this week because of total burn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

What do you recommend when spacing out intensive efforts? Monday Wednesday Friday or Monday Thursday and how hard should I go? I scrapped my plans for this week because of total burn out.

No one on here can tell you how hard to train; depends what you're training for, level of fitness etc. If you're not sure, maybe enlist the help of a coach.

nak wrote: »
    No one on here can tell you how hard to train; depends what you're training for, level of fitness etc. If you're not sure, maybe enlist the help of a coach.

I have a very good level of base fitness. Started this in September and have over 8 hours put in each week of base fitness. I did 1-2 short intervals every week. I'm on week 21 now so that's where I'm at but it nearly all base fitness with over 300km covered each week since then. I try to read books on training but everyone always suggests different ways of doing your training and then I find I can't adopt anything to suit my training needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Take at least 4,days of your bike. Your body is telling you to stop so stop! Listen to it.
    You won't lose any fitness by taking 4-5 days off and in fact the recovery will probably make you stronger.
    The next time you go out on your bike either leave your computer at home or in your pocket so you can cycle to how your body feels.
    If your feeling low on energy get a blood works done from your GP.
    If your iron has gone low it will take about 5weeks to get it back to normal levels.
    I know I have been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Started this in September…
    ...I'm on week 21 now

Did you take any time off between seasons? It's no wonder you're burnt out in January if you've been going hard at it since Sept. My advice would be to get a coach to help you review and reset (if necessary) your winter training and your racing plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Do you drink a lot of coffee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Take two weeks off from any hard effort (leisurely spins), eat well, drink plenty. In two weeks, go for distance in comfort, rather than anything near max. effort.

QueensGael wrote: »
    Did you take any time off between seasons? It's no wonder you're burnt out in January if you've been going hard at it since Sept. My advice would be to get a coach to help you review and reset (if necessary) your winter training and your racing plans.

I was off for 5 months prior to September so that's why I have put in a good winter base training. I was starting from scratch again last September. Im trying to learn my training as I go along but at this moment in time I am not going good form wise. Looking at a coach would be a good option but I guess I have left it too late?

codie wrote: »
    Do you drink a lot of coffee

1 cup a day.

I was off for 5 months prior to September so that's why I have put in a good winter base training. I was starting from scratch again last September. Im trying to learn my training as I go along but at this moment in time I am not going good form wise. Looking at a coach would be a good option but I guess I have left it too late?

It's never too late.

I don't actually know what is best, even for myself. I just go out and ride what I think is right for me to do at that particular time. However, I am not a good example of what to do as I had very little time on the bike last year for several reasons. That said, I got out when I could and I participated in the Swords League and got some good results in the TTs and Hill Climbs. The races I did nothing as I was not tuned enough for that. Despite my total lack of training, I managed to place 2nd on the Hill Climb, 2nd on one 16km TTs, 3rd on another and 4th on the 40km TT. This just shows that you don't have to destroy yourself with training to achieve results. Obviously, I would have been destroyed in the races as I was not ready for them.

Take a step back from what you are doing. Write down some goals for the year. Talk to a more experienced club member about same. Take out a month's worth of coaching if you want to. Re-assess your goals and go forth from there. Your coach will hone your focus on what is wrong and what is right.

Most important is too relax. You are an A4 part time rider with a job(?) and maybe a family(?). Don't take it too seriously. It's not worth it.

I don't actually know what is best, even for myself. I just go out and ride what I think is right for me to do at that particular time. However, I am not a good example of what to do as I had very little time on the bike last year for several reasons. That said, I got out when I could and I participated in the Swords League and got some good results in the TTs and Hill Climbs. The races I did nothing as I was not tuned enough for that. Despite my total lack of training, I managed to place 2nd on the Hill Climb, 2nd on one 16km TTs, 3rd on another and 4th on the 40km TT. This just shows that you don't have to destroy yourself with training to achieve results. Obviously, I would have been destroyed in the races as I was not ready for them.

Take a step back from what you are doing. Write down some goals for the year. Talk to a more experienced club member about same. Take out a month's worth of coaching if you want to. Re-assess your goals and go forth from there. Your coach will hone your focus on what is wrong and what is right.

Most important is too relax. You are an A4 part time rider with a job(?) and maybe a family(?). Don't take it too seriously. It's not worth it.

I'm very determined to getup to A3. I feel with 5 points from last year in A4 I think I have the ability to get there. I know you won't get anything without hard work and I'm very focused that way. I want to chase after something I think I can achieve results. I work 40 hours a week and cycle 8-12 depending. I have no family so without family I have the ideal circumstances for getting the training in.

I'm very determined to getup to A3. I feel with 5 points from last year in A4 I think I have the ability to get there. I know you won't get anything without hard work and I'm very focused that way. I want to chase after something I think I can achieve results. I work 40 hours a week and cycle 8-12 depending. I have no family so without family I have the ideal circumstances for getting the training in.

I have the same target as you. I know that I will get there this season. I have only started back training within the past two weeks. It's not necessary to destroy yourself training. Train smart. Race smarter. Watch this space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

"burned out", "overtrained" - you are probably not - these require a lot of effort over a long period of time, you are not doing that, you might be a bit sick - impossible to know - so just rest up and get lots of sleep till you freshen up feel like riding again. Skip the Lacey Cup - you don't have to race - race when you feel ready - if its local to you then just tap around easy I am sure you can come home with the other A4's in the bunch -

enjoy the (long) season, unless you are a pro there is no need to panic about these things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That said, I got out when I could and I participated in the Swords League and got some good results in the TTs and Hill Climbs. The races I did nothing as I was not tuned enough for that. Despite my total lack of training, I managed to place 2nd on the Hill Climb, 2nd on one 16km TTs, 3rd on another and 4th on the 40km TT.

And the "illegal" TT rig Cancellara would be proud of had nothing to do with it? ;)

Beasty should he not be stripped of some points for the TT's predating the nationals?

"burned out", "overtrained" - you are probably not - these require a lot of effort over a long period of time, you are not doing that, you might be a bit sick - impossible to know - so just rest up and get lots of sleep till you freshen up feel like riding again. Skip the Lacey Cup - you don't have to race - race when you feel ready - if its local to you then just tap around easy I am sure you can come home with the other A4's in the bunch -

enjoy the (long) season, unless you are a pro there is no need to panic about these things

I feel burned out, tired and exhausted. Early starts for work don't help either and my sleeping pattern has been poor up to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Would it be better for you if you used the weekly club spin as a more relaxed affair, rather than using it as a hard session? There's surely enough damage done to the body on the trainer several times a week, without punishing it on the weekend club spin too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

1 cup a day.

There's your problem. Increase that to 8 cups a day and you will be flying.

outfox wrote: »
    Would it be better for you if you used the weekly club spin as a more relaxed affair, rather than using it as a hard session? There's surely enough damage done to the body on the trainer several times a week, without punishing it on the weekend club spin too?

I nnormally go on spins at weekends but they're at 25km average so they aren't flat out club and solo spins most times, I threw a few sprints in last weekend on them but I won't do that again. I did alot of press ups lunges and pull ups too on Sunday after my spin so I'm thinking it's all just catching up with me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

What club are you with? Is there anybody there to help you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm very determined to getup to A3.

I was too, got up with minimal effort in the end.
    I asked nicely :pac:

have been shot out the back at every race since but I made it to A3 so I achieved my goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Seems like you haven't built a proper aerobic base, space your interval/hard session a couple of days apart give your body a chance to recover, recovery is where the gains are made not during the hard session, train don't strain.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    What club are you with?

Well if I told you that now I would reveal my identity. I think I'm going to get a coach to help me out. Obviously I'm not getting the balence right at all. Flying one week and dieing the next.

Advertisement