Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overtraining, how to correct it?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

overtraining, how to correct it?

Train less. Rest when you are tired. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

Yes it seems you are almost definitely burned out!

Firstly you need to establish why your body was incapable of absorbing the volume and intensity of your current training plan. <snip>
    1. Go to your GP <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Out of curiosity, what will a VO2 Max test do other than determine the aerobic capacity?
    I had these done and recorded 69 and another at 73. I was healthy both times, just fitter for the latter.

Its a useful bench mark but a one off VO2 test wont establish illness because there is nothijg to bench mark to. Also, fitness is not a sign of good health. There is a fine line between extreme fitness and illness. I was there all too often :-)

To the OP, being too obsessed with being fit for the first race is a bit short sighted. A better goal for you would be peaking for Easter races which means using early racing also as hard training.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,453 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys

Can we avoid moving into areas that may be construed as possible medical diagnosis/advice

You may recommend a visit to a doctor, but do not start mentioning possible underlying medical issues

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Amprodude wrote: »
    I would rather go up on merit then going up at my own accord. If I can't get out of A4 then I have no business up in A3. That's my theory.

I was joking, its quite clear you want to go up on merit, I wanted longer races, if they offered the distance at A4 I would have stayed. I don't think I will ever have higher hopes than finishing in the bunch but I did love driving off the front and trying to break it up. Done it in Kerry and strung out the bunch for a good few km. Ended up getting a puncture near the end and hopping off the bike and running to the finish so I wasn't the last man back, my team were laughing their asses off at me.

I may not be a winner but I am competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Having a plan down on paper helps avoid overtraining or at least it will help you know when you might be overreaching and when it's time to step back maybe. As volume and intensity increase your chances of overreaching also increase. Week 14 in January might be an example where you would probably want to be watching out for signs of burnout. Hours have increased (albeit gradually), you've been doing resistance training and are in your 3rd eek of power training. So all that adds up.

You can download a Cycling Annual Training Plan here as well which is helpful for your racing year overall.

16214415930_cbdd843550_o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op

You have what I call 'I'm not a 2nd Season A4 Syndrome'. The Main cause of this is . I won points early but not enough to get out of A4 due to unforeseen circumstances. Now I need to push myself harder than I did last season to get those points I need and recovery is not part of the plan.

There is also a Sportive rider version of this. Last year he was hanging on and got dropped as the group upped the pace over the last 10km on the 80km route. This season he wants to win the 160km. He always finds a way of going out with the racers as the strongest leisure group is only averaging 26/27 kmph

You say earlier you were off the bike for 5 months prior to Sept. If my maths are correct you got your 5 points in March. You must have done something correct 2013/14 winter. You should look back at your records. If you didn't write it down but use strava or garmin connect its up there on the web.

Everyone is different. Stop looking at your clubmates as people you must beat on every spin or put in extra miles or hours on the turbo than. They have been where you are so learn from them

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Quicktwo

Happened me last year, trained all winter, 250k a week and peaked when i did a 100k spin in 3hr 3min, then put the bike away. I burned out and haven't been out since last september. Its a vicious circle (for me anyway). Its supposed to be fun and enjoyable, but its only fun and enjoyable when your riding in a group at 35kph and you can't wait to take your turn up front. But to keep that level of fitness takes training, commitment and time. At this level you risk losing the fun, and when you lose that, you need to step back and see what you really want from it.
    I stepped back, and haven't stepped back up yet, i don't know what I want yet,
    Anyways, there will always be someone in front of you.

Advertisement