Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    I passed a Ferrari once..

Was he taking his own medicine?
    I'd probably report that to the Zoo.

You win this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I was stopped by a garda car for "speeding" on the bike once (and yes I am serious).

Once, many years ago, on the Maracycle, I was in a group of about 14 riders. We had just gone through Lisburn, we were moving sweetly. A car pulled out from a side road in front of us. The driver didn't realise how fast we were going. We overtook the car. It was an unmarked police car. He overtook us and stopped us.
    The polisman read us the riot act. He threatened us with prosecution, arrest, fines, jail, everything. We said nothing, not one of us, absolutely nothing.
    I never saw quieter cyclists in my life, before or since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Once, many years ago, on the Maracycle, I was in a group of about 14 riders. We had just gone through Lisburn, we were moving sweetly. A car pulled out from a side road in front of us. The driver didn't realise how fast we were going. We overtook the car. It was an unmarked police car. He overtook us and stopped us.
    The polisman read us the riot act. He threatened us with prosecution, arrest, fines, jail, everything. We said nothing, not one of us, absolutely nothing.

Was it not safe to overtake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It was, perfectly safe.We were doing nothing wrong. I think we frightened the life out of him, because he misjudged our speed so badly, and he lost the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I was stopped by a garda car for "speeding" on the bike once (and yes I am serious).

The brudder is a Garda.

Just after they got the laser guns he was out doing speed checks near my house so he called me and I went down on the bike and we spent half-an-hour with me doing 'sprints' and him checking with the gun so we could compare it against the first Garmin I had.

It was also going well until his sergeant showed up to see how the new kit was working out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »

NSFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

So, suffered a puncture on the commute in this morning. The biting cold and sleet I can just about cope with while I change the tube in the dark.

The dog poo on my tyre is another matter altogether......

Why-God-Why.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm always curious as to how much electricity those technologies have to produce to break even...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i'm always curious as to how much electricity those technologies have to produce to break even...

http://road.cc/content/news/139539-innovative-solar-cycle-path-breaks-poor-weather-conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

€3m for 70 metres? Sure it's a snip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

my sister has one in australia (which does have higher unit price) they reckon with the surplus they put in the grid in summer they pay pretty much zero, when first started you got paid more for putting into grid than it cost to take out its 1:1 now. Cost about 3,000 to install however but pays for itself eventually

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was also interested in how much encapsulated carbon there is in those solar panels; given some of the exotic materials involved, i suspect it's not low.

good article by frank mcdonald about how dublin city is treated; some comments re the car being king.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/from-dereliction-to-boom-dublin-through-the-years-1.2084090

good article by frank mcdonald about how dublin city is treated; some comments re the car being king.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/from-dereliction-to-boom-dublin-through-the-years-1.2084090

Thanks for that link - I'm there going "Righteous, brother, A-MEN!" to all he has to say there.

we were just sitting in the south william the other day, and i was remarkign on how stupidly narrow the footpaths are on what is a shopping street so close to grafton street; for a considerable length of the street, there's parking for cars on both sides of the road - it's an open goal for removing parking on one side and widening at least one of the footpaths. and that's one small example among many.

we were just sitting in the south william the other day, and i was remarkign on how stupidly narrow the footpaths are on what is a shopping street so close to grafton street; for a considerable length of the street, there's parking for cars on both sides of the road - it's an open goal for removing parking on one side and widening at least one of the footpaths. and that's one small example among many.

Or just build a bunch of high-rise/underground car parks and get the cars off the street, at least doubling the city's traffic capacity with one action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Or just build a bunch of high-rise/underground car parks and get the cars off the street, at least doubling the city's traffic capacity with one action.

Or just get the cars of the street, and don't build a bunch of high-rise/underground car parks, and let people park and ride on bikes or public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

RainyDay wrote: »
    Or just get the cars of the street, and don't build a bunch of high-rise/underground car parks, and let people park and ride on bikes or public transport.

This. More parking means more traffic in the city which is the last thing it needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Don't think the traders association would be happy with giving less parking spaces etc, people will just stick to retail parks and force retailers to move out. It's a fine balance and hard to keep everyone happy but if the scales are tipped to one side too then we all know what happens.
    As suggested can we not look at cities that use the stacking parking set ups and learn from them or do we wait until it hits crisis point as usual, the same goes for cycling paths, secure cycle parking etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Onstreet parking is surely an Irish phenomenon in city centres.

As a person who travels regularly to London I cannot recall seeing onstreet parking spaces in the City or West End - retailers there don't seem to mind.

Yes you will see parked vehicles on residential streets but not on the St William Streets of this world.
    Secondly footpaths in London are more generously apportioned than in Dublin.

The total cost of M50 is nuts - as a society we have endured a huge cost to indulge the motor car. It's such a pity there isn't a car tax - as a carownwer I would fully support it.

NBar wrote: »
    Don't think the traders association would be happy with giving less parking spaces etc
    in the case i mentioned above - we're talking about reducing the number of parking spaces on south william street by about ten or fifteen, and in the process making it a much nicer street for pedestrians, and for other road users; it's tight as it is for cars with two rows of parking and a lane.
    there's no way the local traders would object to that; with the passing foot traffic, i'd be surprised if even 1% of their business is from people parked outside the shop.

also, i genuinely can't see how the footpath on one side of the road is wide enough for wheelchair users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

A solution would be to make Dublin increasingly expensive and unpleasant to drive within the canals - for all vehicles other than public transport, taxis and delivery vans. Paid car parking in Dublin is to my mind expensive, but obviously many people use these spaces daily. I think that given that traffic would appear to be increasing substantially that a coordinated move toward toll charging for private cars needs to be considered along with an increase in buses and quality bus corridors.

The company i work for is moving buildings in the next few years to a new building. The number of car spaces in the new building will be 100, which is 200 less than the current car park spaces. Naturally there is a lot of ill feeling from those who presently have a car park space. The consulting engineers did a presentation to staff and said that if the building (for 1400 employees) was in London (the City) that we would be lucky to get 10 spaces for cars.

Dublin as a city is too tolerant of car traffic relative to some other cities.

At least in the new building there will be more bike spaces than car spaces - which is very positive from a planning point of view.

Don't think the traders association would be happy with giving less parking spaces etc, people will just stick to retail parks and force retailers to move out.

But if the onstreet parking is replaced by more efficient and safer offstreet parking, that will be to the shops' advantage.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Onstreet parking is surely an Irish phenomenon in city centres.

Not really - Paris is a nightmare, you have to navigate your way between crazy parkers and dog poos as you walk the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

we were just sitting in the south william the other day, and i was remarkign on how stupidly narrow the footpaths are on what is a shopping street so close to grafton street..
    As well as being narrow, there's an adverse camber to the outside along some of the footpath on the east side. If wearing leather soled shoes, one has to walk almost as if on ice.
    Don't think the traders association would be happy with giving less parking spaces etc....
    They said that when the pedestrianisation of Grafton Street was being first mooted.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    ....As a person who travels regularly to London I cannot recall seeing onstreet parking spaces in the City or West End...
    In the West End, there is lots of on street parking along back streets.

I like the idea of a bike sidecar. I have read about them, but I've never seen one yet. This seems like a novel complement to a good lock.

337313.jpg
    http://angelasbikeblog.tumblr.com/post/109794424496/nice-old-picture-of-a-policedog-taken-along-with

• Advertisement

This is quite a combo. (England, WWII, according to the link.)

337315.jpg
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2931491/posts

Well, that's my sidecar/tandem appetite sated for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Team Rwanda encounter snow for the first time

gzg1R3H.jpg

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Team Rwanda encounter snow for the first time..
    The lad in the centre looks like he's filling the jersey pockets! :D

A van pulled out right in front of me today in Dublin City Centre causing me to take evasive action. I shed 90% of my speed but made physical contact with it. I slapped the side of the van with my hand which drew the attention of a Garda who happened to be standing nearby. I explained that the van had suddenly pulled across my path. He replied "Yea, but he had his indicator on". I shook my head slowly and continued on my way. :(

He replied "Yea, but he had his indicator on". I shook my head slowly and continued on my way. :(

triple-facepalm.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saw a guy cycling up the navan road chatting away on his mobile phone, decided to run through the red where Cabra garda station is and nearly got himself t-boned by a car. He somehow copped on and managed to stop himself, and quite possibly heard me uttering moron louder than intended due to my headphones being on.

On the foolish Garda that Wishbone encountered, is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more about the city centre standing around? I know there's certainly more around where Luas works are going on, but past week seems to have seen more about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The decisions some make are bizarre, partly because I reckon they don't want to be seen in the wrong. I had a young lad literally run after me because I went around a car that was turning right by popping into the bus lane. Now the car was holding up traffic by taking an illegal right turn, with a giant no right turn right there for all to see, and the Garda standing right there looking at him. It was me he had the problem with though, and he proceeded to berate me for dangerous driving, for which he'll see me in court. When I asked how it was dangerous he went off on some other tangent. In fairness he was one of the lads told to mind the bus lanes during the Christmas period and probably didn't know better.

(And yes, I know I was technically wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

As we are on the topic of poor Gardai..

Doing around 45km/h passing the stadium in Donnybrook heading towards town, Garda car heading the opposite way makes an illegal turn across traffic and stops in the cycle lane forcing me to swerve out into the bus lane :/ Should have barrelled into him and seen who was at fault :rolleyes:

As we are on the topic of poor Gardai..

Doing around 45km/h passing the stadium in Donnybrook heading towards town, Garda car heading the opposite way makes an illegal turn across traffic and stops in the cycle lane forcing me to swerve out into the bus lane :/ Should have barrelled into him and seen who was at fault :rolleyes:
    Apologies for being pedantic but Gardai are exempt from almost all of the road traffic regulations when in the course of official duties. Doesn't include Section 49 and I think Section 48.

Apologies for being pedantic but Gardai are exempt from almost all of the road traffic regulations when in the course of official duties. Doesn't include Section 49 and I think Section 48.

I'm not disputing that, nor would I ever want to get in the way of some poor gardai in a rush to get their afternoon tae and digestives! :P

Only annoyed me as he definitely saw me and continued to get in the way, I got a wave though so its all good in the hood :pac::cool:

...Only annoyed me as he definitely saw me and continued to get in the way...
    The perils of KOM hunting in Dublin 4! Admit it, you were probably doing 75, not 45. How was the poor Garda to know! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ooh, ooh, I've a Garda story too!

There was a queue approaching the right turn from Grand Canal St. Upr. to Haddington Rd., so I crossed the broken white line, overtaking a Garda car (among others). Filtering didn't save me much time as I still missed the lights which went amber just as I got to them, but the 3-4 cars waiting to turn right continued through. A few seconds later the Garda car came from behind on the wrong side of the road, and with a couple of woops, followed them right through the junction.

I assumed his chips were getting cold and thought no more of it. By the time I got to the lights at Northumberland Rd. however, the Garda had pulled in the last car that went through the amber lights. In fairness to the driver, he was sitting on the pedestrian crossing by the time the lights had gone amber, so maybe he could have claimed he had possession of the junction. I have seen people go through lights a lot later than that. Maybe there's a crackdown or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

There is no end to my misery.

In fairness to the driver, he was sitting on the pedestrian crossing by the time the lights had gone amber, so maybe he could have claimed he had possession of the junction. I have seen people go through lights a lot later than that. Maybe there's a crackdown or something.

Good luck with that excuse. Driving is alot like making love. Never enter an opening without permission and never ever enter if you can't get out quickly and safely when the red light comes on.

The perils of KOM hunting in Dublin 4! Admit it, you were probably doing 75, not 45. How was the poor Garda to know! :D

I can say, hand on Garmin, that I was not KOM hunting at said period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

CramCycle wrote: »
    Good luck with that excuse. Driving is alot like making love. Never enter an opening without permission and never ever enter if you can't get out quickly and safely when the red light comes on.

Mother of God, lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Speaking of guards. I was coming out western road in cork on the bike when I got stopped by a guard on a motorbike. He asked me why I wasn't using the new bike lane. I said because its a contra flow bike lane and I'd be going the wrong way. And even if it was going out of town I'm not obligated to use it. He paused looking a bit sheepish and said just be carefull right. No bother said I and we both headed off lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Junior wrote: »

Thierry Henry is meant to be on like £4 million for his punditry work? Sheesh...Nibali needs a better agent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Junior wrote: »

About the same as an unknown 23 yr old Serbian defender paid by Man City who is on loan to Schalke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

In fairness to the driver, he was sitting on the pedestrian crossing by the time the lights had gone amber, so maybe he could have claimed he had possession of the junction. I have seen people go through lights a lot later than that. Maybe there's a crackdown or something.

Hmm I would have thought a pedestrian crossing is like any other junction. You can't enter it in a vehicle unless your exit is clear.

That said, when in the car, I have had people behind beep at me for stopping at a pedestrian crossing when the main light was red, and the little man was green and there was a school warden on it. So I appreciate that there may be some confusion out there on this point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement