Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Enthusiasm is the yeast"

• 19-12-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Decided to log here to make myself a little more accountable in my training.

Background... just turned 40, always played sport until my mid 30's (Rugby) then retired and took up golf. I was rubbish at golf and was at my heaviest when I decided to try triathlon. 3 years later I've decided to spend a season concentrating a lot more on the bike - I'm still be doing run and swim training and will do 5-6 triathlons this year but the bike is the main focus.

I worked away a fair bit last year and also had a charity endurance event which I was preparing for, so racing last year was limited and I only did 4 races in the club league and 4 open races.

The first open race I got dropped but carried on and finished the full distance. The second I went out of the back and pulled out. The last two I stayed at the back of the pack, managed to avoid crashes and rolled in at the end. I also did a Mondello race where I somehow stayed in till the last few laps.

Aim for this year is to be competitive in A4 and earn enough points to get to A3.

My major limiter is my weight. I'm around 110kg (6ft 4) and whilst I'm never going to be light as I have a big rugby frame, I know that I need to be under 100kg and ideally around 95kg. Whilst this doesn't stop me being competitive in most flat TT's in Triathlon, it's not great for going up hills. Weight loss will be something I concentrate on in the New Year once Christmas has been and gone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

September and October was a bit of a write off as I recovered from a stress fracture I attained running from Galway to Dublin.

Base period started in mid October and will finish the weekend after Christmas. By that time I should have just finished the "Festive 500" and will have just over 2,500km of base work done and hopefully I'll have a solid foundation to move on to build.

This week so far...

Monday - Rest Day
    Tuesday - Hilly steady ride
    Wednesday - Tempo Ride and Interval Run session.

Today was an easy/recovery day.

Advice from Friel (and other coaches) is not to have any more than 2 tough days in a row , so after the Hilly ride and the Tempo ride in the last couple of days I made sure I kept my HR low - with a target of <110bpm. It rose higher a few times on hills but was soon back down to target. It's all about keeping the easy days easy and the hard days hard. If the easy days become moderate then the hard days end up moderate too...

Route was one of my more usual ones lately, Tyrrelstown to Kilbride then across to Bracetown and down towards Maynooth past the 'Park and Ride' round the back of carton house and onto Cellbridge, Leixlip and Lucan before heading up Laraghcon and home.

45km done.

Fri 20th Dec - Should have been an easy session today but had several things to do which meant I didn't get chance and couldn't be bothered using the turbo. ITB's were also pretty sore when I awoke so going to have to make sure I schedule in time to roll.

Sat 21st Dec - Originally was going to be a session with the Tri Club but I cancelled that as the weather wasn't great in respect to bike handling,in a group, in the wind. Fall back was cycling with the cycling club but when I got up at 8:00 the wind was howling and it was hammering down. Back to bed with a further fall back of a 2 hour turbo. Woke up at 10:00 and after breakfast and general mulling around I thought the weather looked ok so got dressed and set off to do a 100km loop I know which takes in Drogheda and Skerries. After 5km it started raining so I headed out to Summerhill and Trim instead as the weather looked better that way... got soaked. 83km done but not in a sensible way. The sensible thing would have been to turn round and got on the turbo. Still it's all miles in the legs and good traiing for the mental toughness.

I was happy with the Gabba performance on the spin and after a bit of googling I bought water resistant bibs and arm warmers to go with the top. Also picked up one of the Altura Varium Jackets for €50 from sportsworld that were mentioned in the bargain thread so I should be pretty dry in all but the most sustained downpours.

Sun 22nd Dec

Another rest day. Festive 500 starts on the 24th so I want to make sure I'm fresh enough for it. It will be twice the distance of this week!

Weekly cycling total: 254.6km (4 Rides)

I've been training by feel for the last few months. I've had an outline plan in my head and have been pretty flexible as it's all been base training (so in generally zone 2 hr stuff) and I was expecting to start to build early in the new year. Today I sat down and actually planned my training in writing up until the end of the beginning of April 2014 (I have a training camp on the 3rd). I found it a worthwhile exercise as it gives me pretty good structure and with the different phases I can see when I need to ramp training up and when I have recovery weeks. I've based in the cyclists bible and has base, build, peak and transition phases based around key races (but they aren't till much later in the year). It also means as an older cyclist my easy week are every 3 rather than every 4 weeks. I'm going to see how that goes and will switch it to every 4 weeks if I start getting frustrated.

Mon 23rd Dec

No cycling planned for today. Have been doing some strength and conditioning work throughout base but this was the first cycling specific one. Plan was two sets of each excercise. First set was 12 reps at 65% of 1RM, second set 6 reps at 85-90% at 1RM. No idea what my 1RM is for any of them so it'll take a few sessions before I get the weights right, Some were a little light today...

Warmup - 10 mins easy cycling increase resistance slightly every minute.
    Leg Press - 95kg / 135kg
    Seated Row - 37.5kg / 52.5kg
    Swissball crunches - 50 reps
    Boxer crunches - 20 reps
    Hamstring Curl - 42.5kg / 67.5kg
    Seated Lat pdown - 42.5 / 67.5kg
    Pull-ups(assisted) 60kg / 40kg
    Dips(assisted) 60kg / 40kg
    Cooldown - 10 mins cycling keeping cadence >90.

Also did a 45 minute easy run this evening. Set off and found first few km tough as my knee wasn't great (Damn you ITB! Another reminder to make sure I introduce regular rolling...). After the first few km it eased off and it was just a case of settling down and 'enjoying' the wind.

Hoping the wind isn't too bad tomorrow (start of festive 500), but not hopeful. 110 kmph gusts forecast.

Haven't logged much over the break as training has been a little haphazard and its just been a case of fitting it in when I could around the festivities. To be honest Christmas went better than I expected considering the weather and I managed to get in most of the rides I'd planned - I missed one ride as the wife wanted me to go out with her and it'll get me brownie points in the long run. The frost over the Christmas period meant a for a couple of rides I wasn't out on the road till 2pm but had the lights on the bike and just got on with it.

So on to the New Year and more focused training - every session will have an aim!
    Yesterday was a rest day so it was just a 5km race in the park for me. Not really a rest and as I had managed to fall over during the week my knee was bruised and causing me problems also I feel like I'm close to illness and not quite breathing properly so ended up well over a minute slower than last year.

Today's a gym session and the start of careful eating and weighing in regularly. No bike today - it's not in the plan and the winter bike is in at the shop for new chain, block and BB and should be back tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Thu 02nd Jan

So weights session - aim = Strength Maintenance. Still trying to work out what I need to lift to maintain where I am so I'll keep pushing the weight up till I reach my limit.

Warmup - 10 mins easy cycling increase resistance slightly every couple of minutes.
    First set was 12 reps at 65% of 1RM, second set 6 reps at 85-90% at 1RM

Leg Press - 120kg / 150kg
    Seated Row - 42.5kg / 57.5kg
    Swissball crunches - 50 reps
    Boxer crunches - 20 reps
    Hamstring Curl - 50kg / 75kg
    Seated Lat pdown - 45 / 70kg

Pull-ups(assisted) 55kg / 35kg
    Dips(assisted) 55kg / 35kg

Cooldown - 10 mins cycling keeping cadence >90.

Weight: 110.2kg - not great but at least I'm no heavier than before Christmas. Goal is to hit 106kg by 14th Feb.

Also started a +1 programme for pressups. On Jan 1st I did 1 pressup. Each day I'll add one to the total and by the end off the year I should be at 365. I'm doing the same for plank but will start with a 30 day challenge to get me to 5 mins and then add 10 seconds each month to get me to 7 mins (!) Plan is here

Training tomorrow is 150 mins cycle outdoors concentrating on form sprints; 8 x 12 secs sprints with 4 min RI.

Fri 3rd Jan

Was meant to be a 150min spin today with some sprints thrown in. The wind was howling and after I'd done 90 mins or so including the slowest ever journey from Dunboyne to Maynooth into a brutal headwind I was ready for the sprints. Unfortunately the wind spoilt the opportunity to complete them. I managed 2 but was getting windier and I was nearly thrown from the bike as a gust caught the front wheel. Rolled it on home from there so just 45km done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/103701025

Group spin tomorrow. Still not sure about my chest and if I have an infection coming on. No green stuff, no coughing and resting HR still around 40 but it definitely feels a little tighter than usual. Plenty of garlic with dinner and a couple of ginger teas seem to be helping but we'll see.

Day 3 of press-up / plank challenge

3 Press-ups + 30s plank

Sat 4th & Sun 5th Jan

Planned club rides both days. ended up doing nothing. Chest really tight and not up to do anything.
    Kept the press-ups and plank going.

Mon 6th Jan

Just a gym session. Weights I'm lifting still going up which is good but I'm getting towards the limit.
    One thing I do want to achieve this year is to be able to do pullups unassisted. Never been able to currently assisted by 30kg to do 6.

Tue 7th Jan

Chest feeling better and a hill repeat session planned... out to Tara and 5 times up. Weather turned at Ratoath and was heavy enough at times. Plan was to do these in zone 4 which is 141+ for me. Tried to hold back slightly as I knew I had five to do. Second one I had another cyclists just in front so I put a bit more of an effort in. Got slower and slower over next 3 and was really feeling it by the last one and HR definitely elevated. Got a puncture coming into Clonee and ended up reinflating 3 times with a cannister.

Chest feeling worse when I got home and was in bed by 8:00pm feeling absolutely drained.

http://www.strava.com/activities/104665923

Wed 8th Jan

Chest still not feeling great so just a gym session.
    Still keeping on track with the pressups (8 today) and plank was 45s.

Weighed in today at 107.6kg which seems a bit lighter than I expected (2.6kg down in a week).

Thurs 9th Jan

In a heap - meant to start back swimming but was struggling to get the elephant off my chest (or at least that was what it felt like).

Fri 10th Jan

Gym session - still not feeling 100% and decided to leave any cycling till the Saturday club cycle. Weight still same as Wednesday so will take that as a positive loss.

Sat 11th Jan

Club spin - first time out with racing group this year and 111km with a fair chunk of up and overs in there too. Only time I was finding I had a problem was when the group broke up (eg at a junction) and I needed to sprint to get back on - took a while to get up to speed. Endurance was fine though.

http://www.strava.com/activities/105524603

Sun 12th Jan

Nothing - Mate over from Aus so had a few too many beers in town.

Mon 13th Jan

Nothing - Sister in law went in to labour so I was on baby sitting duty for the 2 yr old niece - much better craic than training (except for the nappies)

Tue 14th Jan

As I was pretty rested decided that it wouldn't be a bad time to do a FTP test as my last one was back in October. In October I was off the back of a 6 week layoff with a stress fracture in the shin and my FTP was 269 watts (down from 300 the previous February - looking back I don't really test enough!) so I had no real expectations on where I should be.
    The 5 minute clearing session averaged 356w - I was able to push it a little at the end so might have been able to push it harder but not much. The 20 minute averaged 346w and I was in pieces. TrainerRoad calculates that as 328w so up 59w in 3 months. I'm not stupid enough to think I could hold that for an hour but as a test to show progress a 20 minute test has its purpose.

http://www.strava.com/activities/106308418

Gym session afterwards - up to 90s plank and 14 press-ups...

Wed 15th Jan

Day off - went to UK for a quick trip - ate way too much including a huge portion of cod and chips in Whitby.

Thu 16th Jan

Turbo session - Trainer Road "Palmer" - 10 x (2 min @105%FTP, 1 min recovery) - http://www.strava.com/activities/106770892

Evening - Gym session - Strength Maintenance

Friday 17th Jan

Recovery Ride - nice easy pace...
    http://www.strava.com/activities/106934551

Evening "Sub60" swim session - nice to get back in the pool for the first time in nearly a month and the additional cross training should help with the weight loss.

• Advertisement

Another aim for the year is a charity triathlon event I'm helping to organise.

Last year we swam 7.6km, cycled Malin to Mizen (650km) and then ran Galway to Dublin (250km) all over 11 days.

This year we're attempting 12 sprint triathlons in 24 hours, one after another, so 12 x (750m swim, 20km cycle 5km run). Sounds easy enough like that but when I write the totals down as 9km swim, 240km cycle and 60km run in 24 hours it sounds a little more daunting.

Training wise - well it's not something normal to train for so there's no book to buy or off the shelf training plan so it's going to be pretty much getting the endurance work in and getting as fit and making sure I can keep the HR low when doing each part. Getting lean is going to take on more importance. Conservatively I'm giving myself estimates of 20 minutes to complete each swim, 45 minutes for the cycle and 30 minutes for the run. That would be slower than any triathlon I've ever done but I've never done that many in a row and would give me 25 minutes recovery between each one. Fueling is going to be an issue but we'll see how things plan out.

Still intend to continue with the cycle racing plans too as I reckon that will give me great fitness and keep me churning out the miles on the bike.

Saturday 18th Jan

Club spin - new group made of A4's and Club Leaguer's. It was also a small enough group too with seven of us and tough enough with a couple of up and overs before we did the Hill of Tara - took it easy up the climb to start with and then used the others as targets - just about caught the first cyclist by the top. From Batterstown back I stuck on the front and kept it at a handy enough pace - a few were struggling at the end and I think the session might have been a wake up call for them. Weather was awful too - I was dry on top but feet were soaked through. 81km done in just under 3 hours. http://www.strava.com/activities/107163457
    Afternoon was a swim analysis - in not so many words I got told I've pretty good technique but I'm lazy and fat.

Sunday 19th Jan

Woke up feeling like crap again - thought chest infection was back. A day of vicks vapour, strepsils and Cold and flu tablets plus plenty of fluids.

Monday 20th Jan

Felt better but didnt want to risk going into the cold - turbo session - Trainer Road "Crag". 15 minutes of general warmup followed by 5x30-second specific warmup efforts ranging from 90-100% FTP. The workout?s main set is composed of 6x4-minute high-Threshold/Low-VO2max efforts akin to climbing repeats, all at 105% FTP with brief, 45-second recoveries between each interval. Thought it was really hard and struggled.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/107740210

Tuesday 21st Jan

Early start with a 1 hour swim technique session. 1500m done
    Then out on the bike for a hill repeat session up Tara. Into a headwind... Really tough but stuck to it and completed the 5 intervals. Tried to keep HR below Tempo on the way home and keep it easy.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/107975073

Evening gym session. Still on same session...
    10 mins warm up on bike
    Leg Press 165kg x 12 / 195 x 6
    H'string curl 65k x 12 / 85 x 6
    Seated Row 52.5 x 12 / 62.5 x 6
    Lat Pulldown 52.5 x 12 / 67.5 x 6
    Pullups (asstd) 40 x 12 / 25 x 6
    Dips (asstd) 40 x 12 / 25 x 6
    Swissball crunches - 80
    Boxer Curls - 40
    Plank 120s
    Pressups - 21

10 min cooldown on bike
    Weight is still going down - 106.4kg today - still a way to go though.

Wednesday 22nd Jan

Rest day for cycling so just a club run session - Warm up then 6 x 600m with 200m recovery, then cool down - 8.6km done.

Thursday 23rd Jan

Up at 6:00am for swim session. First endurance swim of the year and found it tough going. 400m warm up then straight into the main set, 4 x (3 x 100m fast, 300m paddles and pull), then 6 x 200m as 50m sprint, 150m recovery. Total 4,000m

Cycle. Did just over 4km then punctured. Fixed the puncture but couldn't get it inflated - as it happens the spare had a puncture too. Walked home and went to bed. http://www.strava.com/activities/108452079

Gym session in the afternoon. Usual strength maintenance session.

Friday 24th Jan

Easy ride out to Barberstown - stopped for a cup of tea and a scone. Easy ride back till we got to Leixlip and we decided to try for a few Strava segments. Missed a PR on Springfield hill by 1 sec but got two PR's up Laraghcon and one in Damastown.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/108589025

Evening was another swim session. 200m warm up, 8 x 50m drill (slow), 8 x 50m drill (faster), 5 x 200m fast, 100m cooldown. 2100m done.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/108674997

Saturday 26th Jan

Club spin. Group was a bit bigger than I was hoping with I think 12-13 of us. Headed out from Lucan up towards Newcastle and when it was my turn on the front I could feel the head wind. Not to matter - at least that meant we would be getting a tailwind on the way back!
    Up through Newcastle into Saggart and, as an alternative to the enbankment, a left turn to some hill that I've never done before. One of the lads suggested regrouping at the top so a few went flying off - and I decided to try and stick with them... I didn't manage it and was fecked by the time we got to the top. We then got down to Up and Overs heading into Blessington and then the heavens opened and the wind picked up.

A few minutes of sheltering and then we got back to it. I'd got cold with the stop and the group became a bit stop start and I was struggling to get my HR into the Tempo zone consistently, at one point I was on the front and we were pushing on at a decent pace with a good tailwind and we were told to pull it back - HR was well under tempo. At Straffan the wind had got pretty bad so as a group we called it a day and a few of us headed off at a quicker pace with a few fast surges which at points had me hanging on - good training!

http://www.strava.com/activities/108795293

Sunday 26th Jan

I joined the Lord Mayors 5 alive challenge this year - 5 runs. Number 1 was a 5k on New Years day and Number 2 was the Raheny 5 miler. I haven't ran much at all this year (twice) so wasn't expecting much. A busy start meant Iwas dodging and squeezing past people for the first mile or so before I could get into a rhythm. One we hit Sybil Hill Road there was a nice downhill stretch and I settled in and started enjoying the run. With no time target I just ran, no looking at the watch for splits and it was fun. I just kept jumping in behind people and using them as pace makers until they either sped up or I wanted to go a little but faster. Tough uphill towards the end followed by a turn into a bad headwind just before the finish. Ended up with 38:57

http://www.strava.com/activities/109188382

Thoughts...

A pretty good week of training with 18 hours done over 12 sessions (5 bikes, 3 swims, 2 gym, 2 run).

I enjoy training as a group and on the parts I'm weak at (mainly hills) it's a real benefit to be able to pick up a wheel and push myself harder than I would do if I was by myself. With race season coming up though I need to be pushing myself a bit more for longer whether that means doing my own training on a Saturday or not I'm unsure at the moment. I'm still missing sessions each week - this week was Thursday when 2 punctures meant I didn't get very far and I also missed a couple of run sessions - not critical to cycling but will help with weight loss... weight seems to be flattening off and I aren't losing as fast as I'd hoped. Something I need to look at a bit more closely.

Monday 27th Jan

Gym session - Strength maintenance.

Turbo Session - Trying to keep it easy enough after the running race the day before so did a kind of pyramid building up by 10 watts every 10 mins to peak around 240w (68%) and then back down again to finsh after 90 mins.

Tuesday 28th Jan

Early swim session and then was meant to go out on the bike. Got a call telling me I hadn't got a job I had interviewed for and was hoping to get so ended up spending the rest of the day firing my CV off and talking to HR and agency people.

Wednesday 29th Jan

Gym session - Maintaining Strength.
    Not feeling great so took the rest of the day off.

Thursday 30th Jan
    Missed swimming session as I had an early interview.

Afternoon was Sprint repeats. Cycled over to the track at Corkagh and did 10-11 sprints from more or less a standing start. Cycled back the long way to get 70km in. http://www.strava.com/activities/109968383

Friday 31st Jan
    Gym session: Maintaining Strength

Missed planned cycle and evening swim as I had a meeting about the charity events I'm helping organise.

Saturday 1st Feb
    Weather was awful and I felt like ****. Moped around most of the day feeling sorry for myself and working on some project management documentation I had to complete for an interview.

Sunday 2nd Feb

Club TT. Cycled down the 5km to the start and then talked to the lads for a while. It was only a short 6.7km TT and we were off in 30s intervals. I was off last as I was the fastest of those taking part based on the summer leagues results and I knew I would have a hard job catching the lad in front. Plan was to average 340w for the 10 mins or so I was expecting it to take and when the timer said go I was clipped in pretty quick and off and up to speed as quick as possible. There was only one real hill and that was within the first minute. Once over that I was down on the bars trying to stay in a good position and put the power down. Breathing wasn't right and chest was really tight - couldn't hit the power I was planning and ended up just over 320w and 9:51 by the timer. For the segment I avg 40.1km. Was in pieces after with my breathing and was wheezing and struggling for breath when I got home - even managed to lose my voice a bit during the day. Chest feels fine now so not sure if it was exercised induced or still suffering the effects of the chest infection and illness from earlier in the month/week.

Result made me joint 1st but I reckon I should take 10s off that time and I should have beaten 2nd place by 10-15s on that course - not yesterday though. I was flat out and couldn't have pushed any harder. Next round is hillier/more undulating - Ratoath to Skryne - so I will likely be beaten by a few seconds.

http://www.strava.com/activities/110648215

Thoughts
    Way too many sessions missed. Diet was awful and gym sessions were half hearted if I'm honest. I need to knuckle down this week to some hard work, higher mileage and a better (HTFU) attitude to training!

Monday 3rd February

Turbo session - trying to keep to 65% of FTP. 90 mins done at 212w
    http://www.strava.com/activities/110979334

Tuesday 4th February

Swim technique session. I've got 3.2km noted down but I aren't sure if it was actually less.

Cycle down to Kilbride then across to Clonee, Maynooth and Barberstown then home via Celbridge, Lucan and Clonee. 58km done
    http://www.strava.com/activities/111104441

Wednesday 5th February
    Out on the bike and a flat within the first 400m. Went home and went shopping instead.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/111421806

Thursday 6th February
    Bad nights sleep - stressed out with job hunting. Finally got to sleep about 5am so slept in and missed swim session.

Thursday morning club spin. Struggled. Started off feeling great and was holding it back going up Slade valley till a few went off the front at the end and I went with them. Fastest time up the hill and it felt easy. Headed acrosss to Blessington and onto Naas. Pace was high enough but nothing major but coming out of Clane I started to feel drained and drifted off the back. Made my own way back via Kilcock, Maynooth and Duboyne. 108km done. First time I've hit the wall in a long time. Lesson learnt - a bowl of porridge isn;t enough to fuel me!

http://www.strava.com/activities/111532994

Friday 7th February

Easy spin to keep the legs moving. Out to Ratoath, Ashbourne, a stop for a coffee and home again. 41km

http://www.strava.com/activities/111721318

Swim - 2.5km done including a 20 minute time trial. Up 100m in the TT so swim is heading in the right direction.

Saturday 8th February
    Club weekend to Carlow. Headwind all the way. Struggled up Slade Valley - slowest time up it ever and even got a helping hand on the back. Felt like I was on the edge of blowing up all the way down. I'd be fine then it would be my turn on the front and it was tough. Normally I like it on the front and enjoy pushing it on. Nothing in the legs this weekend. 83km done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/111919133

Sunday 9th February
    Return trip from Carlow. A lot of drink had Saturday night. Again felt like I could be out the back at any time - been a big week and feeling it in the legs. Still had enough to push it on the sprint in though so my ability to suffer is coming on. 75km @ >32kmh avg.

http://www.strava.com/activities/112170336

Thoughts

Good solid week bike wise with nearly 15 hours in the saddle / 436km done. Missed a swim session and done no running. Feeling it in the legs and feel like I'm on the brink of getting ill. Going to be a recovery week this coming week and hopefully first race of the season on Sunday.

10th February - 13th February

Did nothing. No training at all. Decided on complete rest to see if I could get rid of the recurring chest infection once and for all.
    Took my race bike in and got it serviced, fitted new rubber to the wheels and got it ready to race
    14th February

Felt that the chest was fixed so did a swim session. 800m warmup, 3 x (6 x 50m, 3x 100m) 50m Cooldown = 2650m done. Felt fine and had a good swim.

15th February

wasn't sure about the chest again and decided not to race - then changed my mind and decided to race. Another day off

16th February

Ned Flanagan A4 - Got down nice and early, signed on and did a warm-up. Didn't feel too bad so lined up near the front. Pace was high to start with but nothing too hard and I made my way up to 6-7th on the nearside. Noticed early on that my HR was elevated compared to effort. After about 10km we hit the first roundabout and the lad next to me took a racing line swerving left as we entered the roundabout. I was millimetres away from hitting him and it slowed me down a bit which wasn't ideal hitting a hill leaving the roundabout. I just about got up to speed when I rolled up behind one of the girls from the A3 race and then couldn't pull round as the group was still streaming past and I wasn't up to speed. I had to get out of the saddle and sprint to latch on to the back of the group and make it over the drag still in touch. By that time my HR had gone higher than I'd ever seen before and I was struggling to breathe out - wheezing like my 40 a day grandmother used to. I managed another 2km or so and as my HR hadn't dropped I pulled in, turned around and rolled home.

I'm pretty gutted - I got dropped a couple of times last year and was honest enough to say that I just wasn't good enough. I've done a decent base this year and had been flying in training so am pretty frustrated that I just can't shake the chest problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Keep the chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

If you're sick just rest. No pint in killing yourself. It's early in the year yet. I just had 3 weeks off the bike due to various different reasons and did my first session back on Mon. Felt really fresh so a small break doesn't hurt. But mind your diet if not training.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Keep the chin up.
    mind your diet if not training.

Good advice lads - should have heeded it. Feeling sorry for myself all week and ate appallingly. Well up on the scales at the end of last week.

17th February - 23rd February

Still not feeling well. Did an easy turbo on the Tuesday keeping HR low. Feeling a little better on the Friday so went to the group swim in the evening and did the 5km Operation Transformation run on the Saturday. The run wiped me out so did nothing on the Sunday.

24th February
    Decided that doing nothing wasn't helping me so I might as well carry on training as best as I can.

Eased myself into the week with a 5km walk. More to get back into the habit of getting out more than any benefit the excercise might give me.

Afternoon was a Strength Maintenance session. Enjoyed it and then into the steam room after to see if I could get the sinuses to finally clear.

25th February
    Swim technique session early doors. Really enjoying swimming at the moment - when I get to go. Things seem to be clicking - still revert to bad habits as I tire though.

Tabata turbo session. 15 mins warm-up the 4 lots of 8 x (20s as hard as I can, 10s rest) 6 mins recovery. Found the 2nd one hard and nearly gave up. 3rd and 4th went better.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/116078373

26th February
    Another gym session - Strength Maintenance and another visit to the steamroom to help the sinuses. Weight was back down to happier numbers.

Run session in the evening 12 x (1 min hard, 1 min easy). Didn't feel too bad and ran with normal running partner plus was able to put a sprint in for the last one.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/116342488

27th February
    Was up most of the night as the wife was really ill. She wasn't sleeping so neither was I! She's now got a chest, throat and sinus infection (possibly proper flu too) although hers is bacterial not viral like me.

Finally got to sleep just after 6. When I woke up it felt like the first time this year I could breathe properly. Sinuses felt clear although still not quite 100%

Just a turbo today and it was Tabata's again. Had been reading about the benefits of Tabata's so going to try and keep this turbo on a Tue and Thur going for the next month.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/116548742

28th February
    Swim session - Started off with 1000m as 50m swim, 50m kick with board. I hate kicking but as least I seem to be moving forwards these days. Led the lane out for a few sets alternate with a girl in the lane and enjoyed the session.

1st March
    Club cycle. Tri club rather than cycle club. One of the lads is racing Lucan GP so we headed over to Batterstown to do a lap of the course so he had an idea of where it went. Was a handy enough spin averaging just under 29kph and plenty of times when hills were contested. Beat Joey100 up a few hills where he would normally beat me. But he got his own back on the final sprint after grabbing a tow off me for 500m. We were wheel to wheel for 200m till I blew. Good workout though and starting to feel back to normal. I reckon he let me beat him up the hills so he would win the sprint.

Ended up a handy enough 63km - http://www.strava.com/activities/116938199

Had a new2tri meeting after which went well although at one point I thought my voice was going to go. That evening I felt really rough and breathing wasn't great. Was glad I was doing timing at the next days TT.

2nd March
    Club TT - Winter League round 2. Just under 9km from Ratoath towards Skryne. I run the club TT league so usually all the routes are flat as that suits me better :) today was a bit more undulating. " Unfortunately overnight people had volunteered to do timing which meant I had to ride. Decided to take the road bike. Not because of any hills or anything just that I couldn't be bothered moving the power meter cranks across to the TT bike just so I could review power after. Round 1 was a dead heat between me and Joey100 and he is going great in training at the moment and he was on a TT bike today. He was pencilled in as penultimate rider, I was last and 30s after him.

Set off and after 30s legs were burning - no warm-up (it was hammering down) and yesterdays ride still in the legs - but I was maintaining an OK speed. HR was low enough so I continued to push for the first 2km which were all slightly uphill and settled into it. Hardly looked at the speedo but every time I did it was looking ok and I could see a rider in front and was gaining on them slowly. Coming into the final km there was a few riders in the distance so I pushed a bit harder and managed to take one of them and was seconds behind the others. Joey100 wasn't one of them so I knew he had won it - only a question of by how much... In the end it was 16s overall which I was fairly happy with at the time as I thought he was further ahead.

http://www.strava.com/activities/117223735

Thoughts

Much happier reviewing the power readings from today - had an normalised power of just over 380 for the ~15 mins which is way over the first round when I had ~310 and where I first thought I was getting ill. Obviously I have to put more power out being heavier than almost anyone else but today has pushed my power profile up nicely over last years figures so things are still heading in the right direction despite a month of disrupted training.

Have been logging nutrition and am eating or more correctly drinking a lot of calories. Latte's are my downfall. Not unusual for me to be drinking 4-5 a day. Going to cut them right down to a max of 2 per day and see how much that helps with the weight loss.

Still reckon I'm only at 90% so looking forward to getting back to full fitness and racing again - could be the Newbridge GP next week all being well although I've heard it's a hilly one and I hate hills.

• Advertisement

Here's a good warm up routine which Team Sky use. Important for those Tabata Intervals to got up to close to VO2 max I think in advance of actually doing the intervals. Gets you ready for suffering. Going to start incorporating them soon also.
    http://britishcyclesport.com/2014/training/team-sky-warm-up/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

Definitely didn't let you beat me up any hills, went a bit early on a few and too much time on the turbo and not enough actually out on hills has made me lose my edge on them. Was like we swapped roles for the day.

The last sprint was my attempt at a bit more tactical racing rather than just going for it, knew you were suffering with your chest so thought if I kept slowly upping the pace I would wait until you were really suffering. Good spin out though, paced was pushed up the hills and average pace was decent.

3rd March

Wife had come down with a bad illness - chest, throat, sinus's, high temerature - doctor thought it was probably proper flu. Just a quick walk today. 6km
    http://www.strava.com/activities/117484947

4th March

Swam - technique session. Around 2km done.

5th March

Club run session - Intervals - Can't remember the exact session but think it was 8 x 400m with 90s rest.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/121607639

6-7th March

Nothing. More on that later...

8th March

Club Spin - Met up at 8am with another lad from the club and did a quick 40km. Then met up with the rest and did another 50km. Enjoyed it. The first bit was a chance for a chat and we did more or less the same route in reverse minus a few hills. The second part with the group wasn't much faster but was much easier in the group for the most but the testosterone was there and boiled over in a few places as we hit the drags...
    http://www.strava.com/activities/118664261
    http://www.strava.com/activities/118665523

9th - 10th March

Nothing -again.

11th March

Swim - Technique session another 2km or so

12th March

Run session - 2 x 800m, 4x 400m, 8 x 200m
    http://www.strava.com/activities/121607646

13th March
    First 90 min swim in a while. Good long warm-up then into the main set which was something like 20 x 100m, 20 x 50m. Around 4km done. Hit the wall after 60 mins. Was feeling good and holding onto the others feet and then... hit the wall. #finshed the set with a pull buoy.

14th March

Day off

15th March

Club spin. Easy 55km with a few hard efforts to start with and then an easier 28km with the beginner group. Sprint to the finish went early and I managed to jump onto the wheel. Felt comfortable and when he moved out I pushed it on. Thought he had jumped back on my wheel and didnt want to risk looking round so drove it on right to the finish.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/120853524

16th March

Nothing. Was going to do the Boyne GP but decided not to bother. No real reason.

17th March

A quick cycle to the Naul and back. Cuppa and a scone and straight back before having to do the gardening.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/121475572

Thoughts

Lot of training being missed this last couple of weeks and it's looking more like a triathletes blog than a cyclist who does triathlons like I would prefer! During the first week of this two week block I was getting disillusioned with a couple of things and I was letting them affect my training and diet. I still didn't feel back at 100% fitness following chest and sinus infections was number one and number two I still was struggling to find work.

Number 1 is almost sorted. Reckon I'm back to 99% and I used today's ride as a bit of a test to see how I was feeling. Every segment I hit was a PR and I felt good throughout and after today I think I'm ready to go back racing pretty soon - might not be till April though just through circumstances and commitments.

Number 2 is sorted too. At the end of week I started getting loads of phone calls about roles applied to ages ago - just after I accepted a contracting role. Really enjoying the new job and finding it really interesting and a little bit challenging (in a good way).

Week 2 has been getting down to work and trying to work out a routine which allows me to train as much as I want. I think I have it sorted and I've planned it all out in Training Peaks so we'll see how it goes this week. Overall the plan for the rest of the month is to be consistent and hit 4-5 bike sessions a week ( plus lose a little weight) - I start my build phase this week. 3-13th April I'm in Sardinia cycling the hills so hopefully will be in good form a week or so after that and ready to race again - probably Ros an Laois.

Great to have all your sessions planned out and have a routine. Really enjoy reading your log. Keep it coming. Things like this keep me going over here as I'm missing home big time and it's great to here good news re the job. Hopefully I'll be getting plenty of calls when I finish up college next year (preferably from Sky or Tinkof Saxo :)

Tue 18th March

Morning - Swim technique session, enjoyable. Find it an easy session in general although it reminds me how shocking a swimmer I can be.

Evening - Turbo and a chance to do an FTP test again to see where I am. Result was 360w which I'm happy with. Need to get the weight down (still) now and hold onto the power and I'll be in a good place.

Wed 19th March

Lunch - Decided to do a lunch time cycle to ease the legs. 17km in 35 mins around Clonshaugh industrial estate (10 laps). Wind was savage in places but it's an easy session to get in and still gives me time to get a shower and grab a sandwich.

Evening - Run session 12 x 1 min hard, 1 min easy. Hard session and feeling it by the end.

Thu 20th March

Morning - Endurance Swim. Hated it. Still working ym way back to fitness in the swim and after an hour I'm struggling. Started to cramp too so did end of session with flippers on.

Evening - ditched the turbo - legs not feeling great / still cramping.

Fri 21st March

Lunch - Cycle intervals. Same loop as Wednesday but hit the uphill leg of the square as hard as possible. Enjoyed it even though it's a short session. Set up 2 segments on Strava - KOM on both :)

Evening - Swim, speed session. Penultimate one of these on a Friday and I'm going to miss them. 400m, 8x50m, 16x25m, 3x(4x50m off 60s, 200m off 1:40) Started off well but just as I was about to start a set I swallowed a load of water which meant I wasn't leading out the lane anymore. I find this session easy enough - mainly because I was able to draft for a lot of it.

Sat 22nd March
    Marshalled at Lucan GP. Stood on a cold roundabout most of the race, then moved to finish line to ask oncoming cars if they minded waiting. was impressive seeing the 3 A1/2's ride away from the rest.

Sun 23rd March
    Run session. 6 x Munich Laps. Tough x-country session. Really tired me out.

Mon 24th March

Rest Day

Thoughts
    Better week training. Hit all 3 swim sessions and 2 run sessions. Didn't do as much biking as I would have liked but happy with where I am at this stage in the season.
    Plan this week is to hit the same swim and do 2 run sessions. cycling will be turbo Tue and Thu, Lunch cycles Wed and Fri, ride with the tri club on Sat and the Tri Club TT on Sunday (If I can get someone else to do the timing). Route for this is Dunboyne to Summerhill - 17km.

Tuesday 25th March
    Morning - Swim technique session. Enjoyed but a lot of kicking drills and legs weren't feeling great and was on the verge of cramping.

Evening - Turbo - Trainer Road Taylor. Got about 2/3rd of the way through and just after the hour mark calves started to cramp. Called it a day. No point trying to push through and causing injury

http://www.strava.com/activities/124076199

Wednesday 26th March
    Lunch - Laps of industrial estate. 19kms/35 mins done. Windy enough and right on the face on thee uphill section.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/124214505

Evening - Interval run session
    4 x 200m, 2 x 400m, 4 x 200m. Found it easy and was running well. First time this year I hadn't felt I had "been running through treacle"

Thursday 27th March
    Morning - Swim. Another 90 mins of hard work. Not feeling the groove in the swim at the moment. I enjoy the technique sessions but don't seem to be able to suffer in the longer endurance sets.

Evening bike binned - just didnt feel able for it - wrecked after the swim.

Friday 28th March
    Was meant to be a bike session at lunch. Realised I'd forgotten my bike as I went to get changed. Schoolboy error.

Evening swim binned as I had emergency baby sitting duty.

Saturday 29th March

Cycle with tri club - 10-12 was out to Garristown and back via Ratoath.
    12-1 was beginners and an easy enough loop taking in Clonee and Kilbride.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/125179638

Sunday 30th March

Club TT - Dunboyne to Summerhill 17km. 3rd of 3 rounds of the Winter League and after a joint 1st and a 2nd place I had to win to stand a chance of winning overall (and hope Joey finished worst than 2nd otherwise it would be a dead heat).

Last time out I took the road bike this time I was all aero with the TT bike and helmet. Didn't bother switching the power meter over for just 1 race and I don't understand enough about myself yet to use it as a race aid anyway. A bit of discussion and it was decided (by me) that I'd be last out 1 min after Joey.

I watched as one by one they set off at 1 min intervals until it was just me and I waited for the countdown. Off I went and got clipped in quick enough and settled in to a rhythm trying to keep the HR down for the first 5km before I went for it over the next 12km. Early enough I saw Joey in the distance and made a note of where he was and the time (after realising I hadn't pressed start!). I passed the marker 70s behind him. Still kept with the plan though and kept the HR under control. After 5km i saw him again in the distance and had gained on him with the gap down to 45s. Upped the power/HR and as we hit Mullagh I had the gap down to less than 30s and a couple of km after that was within 10s. I settled for 15s or so to lower my HR and then hit it as hard as I could to overtake him so he couldn't (hopefully) jump onto my wheel - I passed him at about 55kmh. The final few km I though he would pass me back as it finshed on a tough drag towards Summerhill but instead I pulled further away and ended up putting nearly 45s more into his time to beat him by 1:44.

Final time for the 17km was 25:05 which if it's an accurate distance would have me just over the 40kmh average I would aim for on a flat course. That gave me a win on the day by 1:05 and the title overall as Joey slipped to 4th. To be fair to him he was sick all week and if he was fit it would have been a lot closer (and he might have won). Wish I would have moved the power meter over now to see what I managed!

http://www.strava.com/activities/125261701

well done

Monday 1st April
    Quick Cycle at lunchtime - laps of the industrial estate again. Not the most interesting session but keeps me busy at lunchtime.

Tuesday 2nd / Wed 3rd April
    Busy in work - had a 10 day trip coming up so lots of meetings and planning to allow me to get the time away without constantly checking the email.

*next 10 days are about a cycling trip to Sardinia and it might be a bit long as it reads a bit like a guide to cycling in Sardinia...

Thursday 4th April

Early start to get to the airport for flight to Alghero. Six of us from the Tri club (Activmultisport) heading to Sardinia for a week of cycle training - plus my wife and her friend to help with catering/cleaning (they thought they were going to sun themselves).
    Flight was delayed due to fog by about an hour which was great as it meant no annoying fanfare music on landing.
    Weather was a little overcast as we landed but it felt much warmer than Ireland and the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds. Weather forecast was for a poor first few days anyway. Saw my bike box at the bottom of a pile of luggage whilst all the bikebags were neatly stacked separate. Sometimes I aren’t sure of the merit of the box. Through security and onto car-hire. It's always a risk booking minibus hire online as you've no idea what you are going get or how much room for luggage - we had a Nissan Primastar and there wasn’t enough room for the six bikes and all the luggage, luckily I had decided a day before to book an estate car also to make sure and it was still tight.
    The group were split between a house and hotel in a place called Valledoria on the North coast of Sardinia. It’s a small enough town about an hour from Alghero and 30 mins from Sassari (2nd biggest city in Sardinia after Cagliari). I’ve been there a few times over the last 8-9 years and it was me who had planned the trip and would be leading the group on the cycles.
    After arriving we did a quick shop and then got the bikes together to make sure they were fine for the next day.One of the lads stripped the thread on his seatpost collar so that was something we would need to sort. The rest of us got everything back together and had a quick cycle to test everything.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/126598122
    Out for dinner that night and glad to see a couple of the lads with beers as we arrived. I had organised a trip the year before and felt like an alcoholic having a beer whilst nearly all the rest were on water.

Daily – 18.3km – 115m climbed

Valledoria - Beach
    13173470703_9c389242f1.jpg

Friday 5th April
    Woke up during the night with a bad sore throat and tight chest. Was worried I was getting ill and had no idea what to do as I was the only one who knew the routes. Luckily after waking and having breakfast I felt a bit better and felt ok the rest of the week.
    I had only booked the estate car for one day so the first thing we needed to do was to get that returned to the airport. We went to the big Decathlon store in Sassari on the way there to pick up a new seatpost collar and then dropped the car off at the airport and onto Alghero. One of the lads had left his iphone on the plane and we had to check if that had been handed in too – it had – fair play to the Ryanair check-in girl who found it and handed it over even though it was marked from the Antwerp flight. After listening to his music though I wish he'd have lost it permanently.
    We were able to get 6 bikes in the van if we removed the front wheels, pulled the back seat up slightly and rested one bike on top of the others.
    We parked up next to the harbour in Alghero and the plan was to cycle down the coast road to Bosa for lunch and then we would make a decision on which way to return. The scenery on the coast was spectacular and as we hit the first little climb of the day I pulled into strip my arm warmers and leg warmers off. There were Griffon vultures circling the sky above and the smells were constantly changing from gorse, to wild garlic to curry from the curry bushes (not sure if that’s their real name). The weather changed and went from being a little cloudy to overcast and then to drizzle as we continued to climb and descend over the undulating terrain. At times the road ahead looked flat but the speed and strain through the legs showed it not to be so. Descending towards Bosa I got a puncture on the front and pulled in to change it. I had no tyre levers so waited till a couple of the lads behind caught me – only to find they didn’t have levers either. Brute force and strong thumbs won the day and I got it changed and caught the lads up just before we got to the town. We hunted around for a bar for lunch and eventually found somewhere in the centre. We were all cold so quickly ate and set off on the same route home. Tough first day and we had the heating on full all the way back to the house.

http://www.strava.com/activities/126925382

As we got back to Valledoria it was hammering down with rain. I had chosen to do the route as the weather looked better on that side of the island and it was. We probably had 2-3mm compared to the 10-12mm we could have got.
    Ate out again that night and the pizzas were huge. The seafood pizzas were loaded with squid and prawns and looked really nice – I went for the healthy four cheese option.

Daily – 94.4km – 1626m climbed
    Cumultitive – 112.7 km – 1741m climbed

“Arty” shot of coastal route
    13190990575_a321380d9f.jpg

Saturday 6th April
    Another minibus trip this time we head towards Sorso Marina to park up and then cycle across to Stintino and back. Last year we had fantastic weather for this trip – whilst it was warm enough for just short sleeves it was still cool enough in the shade. This was an easy recovery ride as it was reasonably flat. The plan I had done for the week was alternating easy/hard although none of the easy one felt that easy! We headed up to La Pelosa beach which is stunning (google it) and then it became a bit of a race back – we regrouped at Porto Torres and then once we got clear of the town it was all out back to the car park with someone shelled out the back every couple of km. With about a km left there was just two of us still hammering it when the other lad asked how far was still to go so I told him 10km. He sat in behind then and was surprised we finished so soon.

http://www.strava.com/activities/127185203:)

Girls cooked that night (sardninan sausage and pasta / veggies I thnk) and I got a bargain wine at €10 for 5 litres that tasted pretty good. The local beer is Ichnusa which is also very nice.

Daily – 95.5km – 534m climbed
    Cumultitive – 208.2 km – 2275m climbed

Spiaggio della Pelosa
    13190986785_df89ca291b.jpg

Sunday 7th April
    Final planned minibus trip and we headed to the north east corner of the island to Santa Theresa Gallura for another out and back along the coast. We had agreed to take this a bit steady but, after a tough climb up from the port, straight from the off one of the lads decided to fly off the front and hit the pace up. Another of the group had only done a max of 80kms in a day before this week away so after 2 big days already he was carrying some fatigue and his HR was high and struggling to get it down. I stuck with him and we took it steady enjoying the views as we got down to Palau and first coffees top of the day. The Cappucini’s and free cake went down well and we were off again with another tough climb but it was well rewarded with stunning views over towards La Maddalena. Just after this we saw an Italian cyclist and I checked we were heading in the right direction in my fluent Italian (more like pidgin Italian with a Yorkshire accent) – he confirmed we were and two of the lads decided to chase him down and show him how great they were… we stopped for lunch and then headed on to Costa Smerelda and Porto Cervo. Costa Smerelda is the glamour part of the island where all the famous people go. It’s stunningly beautiful but all the houses are a similar design and I find it a bit sterile. The port was eerily quiet compared to the last few times I had been with none of the super yachts I’ve seen there in the past and we just did a quick loop and headed back out, up the hill for another coffee at nearly twice the price of every other one we had that week.
    On the way back the group got split up and we took the low road through Palau whilst half took the high road. As we hit the last stretch one of the lads got dropped and a few km up the road I pulled in to wait for him. 10 mins later still no sign so I rode back to where I had last seen him. Still nothing so I pushed on back to the minibus. We got packed up and just as we set off to find him he rolled in. He had took a wrong turn and ended up at a beach and about an extra 15km for his trouble.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/127569332

Daily – 119.8km – 1181m climbed
    Cumultitive – 328 km – 3456m climbed

Costa Smerelda
    13191071203_49e2fb014b.jpg

Monday 8th April
    Another “easy” day. Not a planned route but we were doing all the other routes from the hotel so I just asked what kind of route people wanted to do and then put something together to suit. Consensus the night before was for a short enough route with a bit of climbing. I had just the thing and it was just two climbs! One missing today so only five of us and we headed out on the coast road up towards Isola Rossa which was a steady enough drag until we turned right and it became a bit steeper as we headed to Trinita D’Agulta. Through the village and we were at the top a nice descent down to Vidalba. I’m not a fan of climbing, but enjoy the descending. Coffee shop was closed in Vidalba so we rolled on to Santa Maria Coghinas and sat in the sun enjoying the heat. Part two was up towards Sedini and was tough. Narrow winding roads with steep camber on every turn. Glasses of early as the lens filled with sweat. I had decided not to let one of the group get too far ahead and as the gradient lessened I got onto his wheel and we arrived at the top together. After regrouping we rode a few kilometre or so to a new road which is pretty steep (been told it’s a cat 1 – but who knows). I just let gravity take me down and hit nearly 88kmh before I got a speed wobble which I struggled to get under control. It shook me up a bit – I think it was probably the wind on the deep rims.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/127797125

Daily – 62.1km – 1009m climbed
    Cumultitive – 390.1 km – 4465m climbed

Thermal Spa at Santa Maria Coghinas
    13191095143_a099f5717f.jpg

Tuesday 9th April
    So after the ‘easy day’ it was time for another tough one. We headed out through La Muddiza and up to “Elephant Rock” and a nice climb up a closed road towards Sedini. Through Sedini, Bulza and a stop in Perfugas for coffee. From there we headed towards Tempio and up another tough climb. Originally the plan had been to add in Mount Limbara (an extra 1300m of climbing in <30km) but we decided against it and just before Tempio we turned off for Aggius – or rather I did whilst 4 others had gone straight into Tempio. It was only an extra km or so though and they caught us before we got to Aggius and lunch. From there we headed towards Trinita D’Agulta and through Valle della Luna – moon valley. Lovely views from the far side looking back and it is very moon scape-esque (not that I’ve been to the moon to compare). Once we got to Trinita we had the decent down the climb we had done the day before and it was good. Lovely roads, nice surface and no corners too tight.

http://www.strava.com/activities/128112343

Daily – 102.3km – 1393m climbed
    Cumultitive – 492.4 km – 5858m climbed

Elephant Rock
    13848022064_6fede14fd9.jpg

Wednesday 10th April
    Last group spin of the week and a quick discussion the night before asked for something short and steep. We set off and after 3km hit the cat 1 climb we had been down and everyone was dreading. It actually wasn’t that bad. Just got into a rhythm, let the HR rise and then sat and suffered. Sweat was pouring off me at the top. From there we headed further up through a wind farm and then a nice descent into Tergu. Quick regroup and a fast long descent back to the coast in La Bagnu. Some lovely scenery as we headed towards Castelsardo - over the tourist port and up towards the castle. Nice climb out of Castelsardo and up to the Elephant rock and then homeward bound. Nice short sharp ride to finish the week off.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/128419736
    Castelsardo
    13845227094_9dd5bcd8bb.jpg
    Daily – 49.3km – 1026m climbed
    Cumultitive – 541.7 km – 6884m climbed

Thursday 11th April
    Early flight home – 0605 so the lads were up at 0300. I had a few extra days in the sun so woke when I heard them but went back to sleep. Had a lazy day. Went to the beach to try and even up the tan a bit and wore arm and leg warmers over the tanned parts. No joy – still a farmers tan.

Beach
    13844857155_e068acb060.jpg

Friday 12th April
    The problem with having one day off is that you want another. After procrastinating about it though I got changed and headed off for a short circuit to keep the legs moving. Took it easy enough out towards Elephant rock and up to Sedini and then decided to try a descent I’ve not done before. Just after the start of the descent I decided to pull in, have a sit down and enjoy the view. A tortoise came scuttling past as I pulled in and as I walked into the field a couple of Golden Eagles launched from a rocky outcrop and started to rise on the thermals. There was no wind, the sun was out and it was tranquil. It was j
    Just one of the times when everything is good with the world.

Wild tortoise
    13844874153_11d081dc9b.jpg

View down to Valledoria and coast.
    13844874143_6f8c038c4e.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/129064820
    Daily – 31.4km – 503m climbed
    Cumultitive – 573.1 km – 7387m climbed

Saturday 13th April
    Had a few hours for a cycle whilst the wife went to the beach. There was a climb I wanted to do as I thought it had a soft KOM so planned that in and bit of a loop to do another couple of segments I thought I was weak on. Headed out to Santa Maria Coghinas and up to Casteldoria (castle o the Dorians) – first segment and a KOM. From there it was across to Perfugas and up to Bulzi and then Sedini. From there I did part of a route from earlier in the week and dropped down to La Bagnu across to Castelsardo and back up to the Elephant Rock. Was wrecked so pulled up at a bar and grabbed a drink before hitting a downhill segment. Parked the bike under an awning and it appears it lost GPS as it has the downhill section off track and not counting against the segment. Doh!

Casteldoria
    13191251714_64691dc03e.jpg

View going up to Sedini
    13845226124_c2d873b776.jpg

Domus de Janas - Sedini
    13844873413_ef59525752.jpg

Daily – 76.1 km – 1036 m climbed
    Cumultitive – 649.2 km – 8423m climbed

Sunday 14th April
    Final ride of the holidays. Had packing to do and house to clean so was only a quick one out to Badesi to check out a road linking back to Vidalba that might work as a link between routes next year. Not a great road – first really poor surface of the week and a no go for next year. From Vidalba back to Valledoria and a quick cappuccino and pastry in my favourite bar before the packing and cleaning began. At the moment it’s Carciofi or Artichoke season and Sardinia is renowned for the quality of their artichokes. It seems like nearly every field is growing them at the moment.

Artichokes
    13844855755_ac4f6ddbdd.jpg

Daily – 30.5 km – 239 m climbed
    Cumultitive – 679.7 km – 8423 m climbed

Thoughts
    Good block of training and the first week flew by with a good group of lads. Plenty of km’s in the legs and much more than last year all up. Some tough days and one in particular where I woke up not wanting to cycle. Pressure of leading a group means you have to cycle day in / day out and in retrospect everyone was suffering and I was being soft.

I videoed a lot on the trip and now have the fun of trying to edit it and also get a bit of image stabilisation working. There were a few vibrations descending at 60kmh+

The weather was great with it hitting 27c on a few days. Two years in a row we’ve had great weather and it certainly beats staying in Ireland. Trip worked out at about €500 (plus meals/drinks) for those staying in the hotel with B&B - €150 for flight and bike, €240 for single room and breakfast and €100 share of van/car hire and diesel.

Now to start the planning for next year, hoping to introduce more new people to Sardinia (always a few from outside the club come along), have a few from the last two years return (only four of us been both years), and maybe increase the distances/metres climbed too as well as adding some new routes. It’s amazing that what you think is a hill on day 1 suddenly becomes a slight drag by day 7.

That's one of the best posts I've read in a long time. Love the pics. The place looks beautiful. Fair play for organising it all. You seem to have a jack of organising events.

• Advertisement

That's one of the best posts I've read in a long time. Love the pics. The place looks beautiful. Fair play for organising it all. You seem to have a jack of organising events.

Thanks, much appreciated. One of the lads was doing the Gorey this weekend so will be interesting to see how he thought the training week helped.

Monday 15th April - Thursday 18th April

Well back with a bang and it looks like I'll be looking for work again very soon - nothing I've done or the company I work for - all down to acquisition due dilligence uncovering skeletons in the closet that won't disappear. Didn't feel like doing much training - and the session I was meant to do on Tuesday ended up being a leisure cycle with the wife after I forgot kit.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131483439

Friday 19th April

Out with a couple of girls from the tri club. Was meant to be an easy 50km but I took a different route back and it ended up being 75km around North Dublin.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131483471

Saturday 20th April

Regular cycle with the tri club. Took it easy with a couple of hard efforts up hill and the regular homeward sprint. 85km done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/131955805

Sunday 21st April

Ras an Laois. This was my first open race last year and ended up being my first proper race this year after I pulled out of the first race of the year with a chest infection. Last year I was dropped on lap one so was hoping for better this year. Course is slightly uphill from the start line until 12km in when there's a bit of a hill (Knockaroo) and then it's slightly downhill overall to the end. It was the first ascent of the hill I got dropped on last year.

I was travelling down with a lad from the tri-club who's been going well in training and this was his first race. We got down early enough, signed on and got the bikes ready for a quick warm-up. I was messing around with my GPS in the GAA club field, missed by pedal and fell off the bike in one of those slow motion falls. One of the lady racers looked at me and said "that was embarrassing". I couldn't disagree.

Savage headwind was the first thing I noticed in the warm-up but it felt great when we turned round and headed back and checked out the run in to the finish line. Back to the GAA club and the wait for the start which was neutralised up to the start line.

I managed to get a decent position early on and was in the front 10 for the first km or so. That didn't last long as riders came up the right and tucked in and I ended up further and further back - I really need to sort out my positioning, I always seem to end up on the left hand side near the front at the start and then move rapidly to the back and not have the sense to get back to the front.

It seemed a sensible enough pace at the start but as we got closer to the hill the pace started to go up. I put everything I had out on the first ascent and from my HR being in control it soon hit north of 150. I know that normally after 140 I'm burning matches and in danger of blowing up. I made it over the top at the back of the bunch and had overtook a few on the way up so even early on a few were already gone from the bunch.

The rest of the lap was spent trying to move up a few places so I wasn't right at the back but the pace was still high and at times it was tough going hanging in there. As we came round for the second lap the pace dropped again as we hit the headwind and being at the back the surge in pace was exaggerated every corner. A couple of corners before coming up to the hill again there was a sharp left - a Nenagh rider somehow went into a ditch 20-30m before the corner and over his bars. No idea how it happened.

Second time up the hill I tried to stick on a Lucan wheel and he dragged me most of the way up till I lost contact just as we crested and ended up just off the back, I nearly got back on but the next uphill section saw me about 50m back and I had a chase on. I went all out for 8-9km with a Waterford rider trying to get back on - at one point the cars at the back overtook us and I thought we were gone. Another effort though and we got back past them and managed to get back on to the group with about 5km left. Whilst we were chasing on a few riders were getting dropped - every time I thought I was nearly there a new rider was off the back. I moved up a few places as we were coming back towards Rahdowney but as soon as we hit the town I eased off and trailed the bunch in - no desire to be in the bunch sprint which wasn't a bad idea as one lad was laid on the floor looking quite bad as I rolled over the line about 5s behind.

http://www.strava.com/activities/132285438

Monday 22nd April

Club league starts this Thursday so took one of the newbies over to Batterstown to show them the Mullagh circuit. 65km done altogether.

http://www.strava.com/activities/132584251

Thoughts

Happy with the race. Last year my times up Knockaroo (the hill) were 6:01 & 6:35. This year I was (4:37 and 4:33). The second time up I was only 4s off the lad I gave a lift to and he was front of the pack at that stage (plus I'm carrying 50kg more up the hill than him!). If I'd have been further up the group I would probably have got to the top still in the group and wouldn't have "burnt all my matches" trying to get back on, then I could have contested the sprint or even tried to break off the front. Really need to learn positioning or rather just get myself into better positions - I know where I should be just don't seem able to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done on the race. Great going to keep with the group especially after the frustration of the Ned Flanagan and the chest problems. Onwards and upwards.

Tuesday 23rd April

Interval session in Phoenix park. This week we focused on hitting the two hills (one next to magazine fort, other up towards furry glen) as hard as possible and full speed down the Chesterfield Ave. Weather was brutal when we all arrived - but I promised myself I would do one lap and then decide whether to continue or not. Was grand once we started. Started off civilised enough till one of the other lads turned up after lap one and then it got faster. Legs were feeling it on lap 4 and was glad to finish.

http://www.strava.com/activities/133085224

Wednesday 24th April

Club run session, warmed up then did 1400m flat out folowed by 10 x 400m. hard session and was feeling it in the glutes and hips afterwards.

http://www.strava.com/activities/133500692

Thursday 25th April

Club league. I was moved up from Limit last year to Semi-Limit (SL) this year. So I was expecting a tough race - It was one lap of the Mullagh circuit in Batterstown run as a handicap. I think we were 3 minutes behind Limit and semi scratch were 90s behind us. SL was the biggest group and as we set off we were working well to keep the speed up - or at least some of us were whilst a majority seemed content to sit on the back ready for the inevitable sprint at the end. As we turned left off the Trim road I readied myself for the Mullagh hill. It's not that steep but if the group had of hit it hard I might have struggled. They didn't and as we crested towards the top I made my way to the front before the left turn. Out onto the Summerhill - Dunboyne road and I was at the front pushing the pace - I think there were 4-5 different Lucan lads pushing it on at this stage and I was at the front again as we turned left to make our way back to Batterstown. Just after the turn we caught the limit group and tried to blow straight past. Just 3 of us were pushing it on at this stage and i was second into the final corner and the sprint home. I hit a stone or something on this corner as I had to stand the bike backup and then slow it down to get round in one piece and just after this corner the semi scratch caught us and the speed went up. I managed to get up towards the front but then chose the wrong wheel to follow as the pace rose again ready for the final sprint and i couldn't get out and round the lad in front. Rolled over the line in and around 10th.

http://www.strava.com/activities/133800982

Friday 26th April

Easy ride - headed from Tyrellstown out around Carton House and back via Rugged Lane. On the way back decided to have a crack at a segment my wife was higher than me on! KOM achieved (tis downhill mainly).

http://www.strava.com/activities/134100285

Saturday 27th April

Tri club ride - really easy pace and horrible weather. I normally take two groups 10-12 and then a beginners group at 12. Thankfully there were no beginners this week so I could get home early.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134283550

Sunday 28th April

Waller Cup, Bohermeen A4 race. Got down early enough and was signed up and ready well before the start. No warm-up as I wasn't sure where to go with sign on being in the middle of the circuit. Started up near the front and within 100m I was cursing as a lad nearly binned it in front of me by hitting the verge. Guessed it was going to be a group sprint at the end so would try a bit harder to get up to the front his week. with about 5km gone I went up the outside and just continued going - got a little bit of a break but was brought back with 3-4km. Nice little warm-up. Another Lucan rider then got into a break and I thought for a short while it might stick but they we reeled in too. Just after that I was talking to the eventual winner and he had just managed to get up from the back - he asked how the legs were - I said good and not too long later I moved out and crossed to a lad wearing a Navan Kayak Top (I think) and we pushed it on for around a lap. It was hard work - we tried to work together but really needed a couple of others to bridge and help. Eventually we were caught and I was back into the bunch for the final lap. About half way round I went on the attack again with the same lad and another Lucan. We didn't get too far and even when I sat up and brought the pace right down the group just stayed behind for a while. With a couple of corners to go the pace started to lift and I was thinking about getting in to position for the final bend when there was a crash in front. Not 100% sure what happened - looked like he just clipped the verge. I had to slam on and unclip to miss him and that was my race over. Rolled in for the last 1km and heard that one of our lads had won after getting a bit of a lead out into the final corner - great teamwork and one less of us in A4.

http://www.strava.com/activities/134808669

Thoughts

Solid enough week training wise but somehow need to add in more running and get up on a Tue / Thu for swimming.

Race wise I was much happier this week. Managed to get into a position near the front of the bunch and then had no problem pushing on at the front. Maybe I need to be a bit more clever and not go for breaks that in reality have little chance of sticking away. Hopefully though the extra exertion of this extra work will keep pushing my fitness up and make me more competitive in the weeks/months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Great effort today, well done. Nice to meet you and sorry if I caught you off guard when I copped who you were....I swear I'm not stalking ya:D.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Great effort today, well done. Nice to meet you and sorry if I caught you off guard when I copped who you were....I swear I'm not stalking ya:D.

Ah no, I was just wrecked. Good to meet ya.

Monday 29th April

Easy enough spin up to Ashbourne and back to loosen the legs. Trying to keep the HR below 110 bpm but had a quick go at a KOM. Missed it by 1 sec :(
    http://www.strava.com/activities/135206948

Tuesday 30th April

Regular Phoenix park spin. Usual tri club and some new cycle club people were out which made for a bigger group and a bit more friendly competition. We have a few sections we hit hard and then use the rest as recovery. 5 laps done.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/135578763

Wednesday 1st May

Day off - Recovery

Thursday 2nd May

Club league - DMS Brittas SL. Didn't listen to the pre-race briefing which was a mistake. As soon as we set off two lads went straight up the road which set the tone for the night. Constant jumps and closing down. Slightly different circuit than last year so I stayed near the front to work out what was going on for the first lap. Second lap I decided to go for it and jumped off the front. no one with me so I decide to solo it. Pushed as hard as I could for the next 7km with a power avg over just 400w but for no reason. I thought it was the last lap. It wasn't and as soon as I eased off I started to cramp in the left calf. I stuck with the group and the cramp spread to my left hamstring. Persevering the pain subsided and I readied myself for the sprint finish. Only to cramp again this time in my right calf. Rolled over just off the back of the group.

http://www.strava.com/activities/136308022/

Friday 3rd May

Rest day - calf pretty sore so went and got it massaged. Eased it slightly.

Saturday 4th May

Easy spin with Tri club. Only 2 of us out and a real easy pace. Added a couple of short hard efforts to test the calf and it was fine.

http://www.strava.com/activities/136817592

Sunday 5th May

Frank O'Rourke A4 Wexford.

Up early enough to get down from Dublin. Parked up and did a very short warmup to look at the finish line run in. Lined up and got up near the front.

First half lap was steady enough and I was expecting things to warm-up for the next lap. The main hill was tough enough for me and after the first time up it I knew I would be struggling later in the race. there was another nasty drag on the back part of the course before we hit the N25 too. Once on the N25 I made my way up to the front and saw 2 lads had made a break. I decided to jump and bridge it and caught them after a short while. A few km later who ever was behind decided to drag everyone else in the pack up with them so that was the end of that break.

Second lap went in much the same way except rather than jumping I just increased the pace slowly - and rather than making a break I just dragged everyone with me.

Third time up the hill I had very little left and lost a few seconds. I almost got back on when there was a crash in front of me and I had to unclip to get round. Race over but I pushed on to finish and it was made into a good workout with a Tiernans lad who helped to keep the pace respectable.

http://www.strava.com/activities/137388401

Thoughts

I'm enjoying the racing and pushing it from the front but I am just too heavy at the moment. It's not easy carrying around an extra 40-50kg on most of the pack and I need to do something about it. In all honesty the diet has been crap again the last couple of month (nothing specific, just careless) and the weight has been creeping back on after a good base saw me lose weight. I think I react badly to stress and end up eating what I want rather than what I should. Weight this morning was 112.4kg. Really need to be down around the 100kg mark. So from tomorrow I'll be focusing on the diet again and the aim is to hit the target for the Wexford 2 day at the end of August with an intermediate target of 105.x kg by 21st June - when I'm hoping to complete 12 sprint triathlons in 24 hours for charity.

• Advertisement

Maybe try a nutritionist like Barry Murray. That was the only way I could make myself accountable for what I was eating. It's made a massive difference to me. Today I'm weighing in at 63.1kg about 1kg less than my racing weight in July and August last year when I was in peak form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seriously, your power on the flat is way beyond A4, I honestly reckon if you went hard and got a gap today you could have ridden away on your own, just my 2c.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Seriously, your power on the flat is way beyond A4, I honestly reckon if you went hard and got a gap today you could have ridden away on your own, just my 2c.

Thanks, but not a chance on Saturday - just never felt I had the legs to attack - except when I caught you but that was about 2 laps too early.

Monday 6th May

Day off for recovery. Needed it was tried after previous days race - might have been better to do a 40 min easy ride to keep the legs ticking over but sometimes it;s good to just listen to the body.

Tuesday 7th May

Usual park session. The fastest lad was out today and rather than easing into the session it was pretty much flat out right away with a group of 3 of us settling down to work off each other on the front. Did my fastest ever lap and I reckon there's still some more time to be had on it as it wasn't all out for the full lap.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/138233333

Wednesday 8th May

Leinster 10 mile TT Champs hosted by Cuchalainn. Decided to give this a go after some of the club were talking about it. Got down early and rode the course as warm-up. All nice and flat except for a drag on the way back about 1km from the end. There were 3 of us from the club and I had one of the A2's as my minute man. Didn't expect to catch him and wasn't far wrong. I set off and had in my head an aim of averaging 41km/h for the 16.1km lap. Settled down and got into the work but after training hard the night before my lags felt a little empty. Saw my average drop well below where I wanted it as I got towards the halfway point and a drag up towards Castlebellingham. I spotted my minute man coming back towards me and made a mental note of the time and by my reckoning I was 90s behind him at the half way point and the man behind me was nearly upon me. I pushed on but was passed just after the turn and I tried to use him to pace off but was slipping further and further back the whole time. Tried to put more power down but it just wasn't there. Got to the finish line and time was called out as 24.07.

Happy enough to have held over 40kmh but I know I could have been faster. I was fastest A4 but there was no prize for that - I was <30s away getting a vets medal. Maybe next time I won't do a tough session the day before and try and practice on my TT bike.

http://www.strava.com/activities/138635172

Thursday 9th May

Day off - marshaled at club race.

Friday 10th May

Finished up in work as project I'm working on isn't viable at this moment in time. Went for a cycle to de-stress. Ended up out nr Batterstown and had a loop of the Dunsany GP lap before heading off over the Mullagh and back home via Dunboyne.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139231524

Saturday 11th May

Dunsany GP. Up early to drive down to Dunsany - I like to get to races early so I aren't panicking about making sign on in time. Arrived just as the GAA club was being opened and the sky's decided to follow suit and open up too. after the shower had passed and we were signed on I did a lap of the circuit and looked for possible places to attack during the race. Generally nowhere was much better than the rest to attack but I had worked out where I wanted to go from. It would have been nice to attack and then have team mates to disrupt/chase down any chasers but the two lads who were there from my club were both racing for the first time so I rightly didn't expect any help for them as they had their own races to concentrate on. I did mention the plan to another lad in the hope he might want to work with me to get clear but it would depend how the race went.

We set off and almost straight away it was slow - and it was one of the Lucan ladies who was being left to lead out the A4 bunch. I didn't think that was fair so made my way to the front but as I got near the pace picked up so I just settled in. First time up the main road I took the front for a while but nobody wanted to come through as I swung out so I slowed it down - Always makes me smile when you get lads in the bunch shouting to keep the pace up whilst they stay nice and protected... Halfway through the first lap a swords lad broke away and I sat in the bunch to see how long it would stick. Towards the end of the lap he still had a gap and I was thinking of bridging over when someone told me I was a marked man :) I made some remark about the Swords rider not staying out there all day and then jumped over to him. I was clear as I bridged across and I thought we might have been able to work together but the group quickly got across and closed the gap as we started the second lap. Second lap I just sat in and I think I made a couple of half hearted attempts to get away but every time I looked back everyone was on my back wheel. Onto the last lap and it started getting like a game of chess on the main road as the bunch closed right up and no one wanted to take the race on. Just before the point I had identified as where I was going to jump a few lads took off. I got onto there wheels and stayed around 4-5th wheel coming down the wide road to Dunshaughlin where 3 lads broke away heading towards Killeen Castle. We eventually caught them and as the pace started to pick up ready for the finish I got hit in the side and knocked into a speed wobble. Choice words said I carried on but had lost a few positions and was back around 20th coming into the final corner. I took a good line through the bend and took a good few just from maintaining momentum and was ready to sprint when a lad next to me came down hard, put me off enough to know I wasn't going to score points so easy peddled up the hill to finish in the group.

Sunday 11th May

Worked on a stand at the cycle show from 10-3pm then went onto Merrion Square to watch the Giro finish. Back was in bits from standing all day. Really not used to it.

Thoughts

still happy enough with how things are going this season. I aren't ready for A3 yet (I haven't got he results anyway) and am enjoying racing A4 anyway. Saturday course probably suited me more than any other but I wasn't able to take any advantage of my strength. I am keeping an eye on fatigue levels and how everything balances with regards to Form, Fitness and Fatigue but although according to the charts I went into Saturday at peak Fitness and the least amount of Fatigue yet this year (which should equal greater Form) but I just didn't feel it. Maybe the numbers just lie sometimes or maybe a Saturday morning race as opposed to a Sunday lunch race messed with my racing body clock. Who knows?

No more open races for a couple of weeks at least so the plan will be wan increased load in training and to continue losing the weight (which is heading in the right direction and way ahead of target) and doing the club races - oh and I need to find a job too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭joey100

Don't forget you have to start doing some running and swimming too over the next few weeks ;)

Monday 13th May

Started the week with an easy ride. Was going to be a hill session but the legs didn't feel great so cut that short. Put a couple of hard efforts in there but nothing too taxing. Nice latte in the Phoenix Park visitors centre to finish it off. 62km done at a leisurely enough pace.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140241380

Tuesday 14th May
    Usual Phoenix Park session, met up with De Bhál and we pushed each other on round the laps. Had a few drivers oblivious to cyclists just pulling out but was a good session and was wrecked after. Only 43km but with hitting the hills and the long straight hard it's pretty good race training.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140763509

Wednesday 15th May

Just a run today - long warm-up then a pyramid of 200m, 30s recovery, 400m, 60s recovery, 600m 90s recovery, 800m 120s recovery, 800m 120s recovery, 600m 90s recovery, 400m 60s recovery, 200m 30s recovery and a bit of a cooldown. Running wrecks me. Last few runs though I've been getting a pain in the lower abdomen - doesn't seem to be a hernia but something I need to keep an eye on.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141152825

Thursday 16th May

Club League - 4th round and a handicap up in Brittas. Decision was made to split into two groups with Scratch and Semi Scratch racing together and us in Semi Limit handicapped against Limit. Race started off at a handy enough pace but there were periods where it kept stalling as there were a few just content to sit in, let the group do all the work and then contest the sprint. Sometimes I feel like doing the same but the club races are meant to be there as training as much as anything else so on the last lap when it stalled again just after we left Manor Kilbride I went on the attack, knew it was never going to stick but hoped it would lift the pace and help us catch the limit group It did and a few others launched attack. Coming over the reservoir we had them in view and again I pushed the pace as we latched onto the back of them and quickly tried to get past and into the finishing sprint. I wasn't in a great position so just rolled on over the line. Enjoyed the race.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141560096

Friday 17th May

More park laps with De Bhál. Cycled down to the park and then 4 quick laps before heading to friends for dinner. Last lap I struggled to hold his wheel up the last climb so knew that was enough anyway.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141922961

Saturday 18th May

Spin with a couple of lads from the triathlon club. Handy enough pace without pushing it too much. As always it was a race up the hills. Just over 60km done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142086708

Sunday 19th May

Training day down in West Meath with the Tri club. I didn't swim as I was spotting in case anyone decided to drown (they didn't) and I didn't run either as I was doing the timing. Just the cycle for me and I had to stop a couple of times to act as a marshall and give directions to everyone behind. Nice little 19.2km loop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142766114

Monday 20th May and Tuesday 21th May

Rest days - tough enough week last week and hadn't had a rest for a while so decided a rest was needed. I was also planning an FTP test on Wednesday and wanted to go in fresh. I run the club TT league and Tue was the first round - a few good times set but I reckon I would have been close to setting the fastest time if I'd have been riding ;)

Wednesday 22nd May

FTP test. did the warm-up and 5 min leg clearer but abandoned pretty early in the test. It was a war day and there was no wind so opening all the windows made no difference. Really need to buy a fan - but I've been saying that for 2 years now.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144054688

Club run session - 4 km warm-up and then 10 x 400m hill repeats up the Khyber with the 400m back down as recovery. Hard session, lower abdomen sore again.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144083784

Thursday 23rd May

Club League Round 5 - Green Sheds Circuit H/C. Full handicap race this time. Limit had 5 mins on Semi Limit and we set out hard working well to takea good chunk out of the handicap. As we passed Dunsany Lodge the first time we were told we were 90s down so we knew we had them caught although it eased off a little when we knew we were getting close but we eventually caught them nr Dunsany Castle. I still had ambitions of avoiding being caught by Semi Scratch so attacked as the group settled in with limit. The group responded and the pace went back up but after Dunsany Lodge we were caught by semi scratch. The pace lifted then and we were dragged up towards the finishing straight. Again I went off the front with a vague thought of holding everyone off till the finish but it was further than I thought and I died a death and was swallowed back up by the group and rolled over the line. Happy enough with my race.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144391269

Friday 24th May

Another day off.

Saturday 25th May

A4 Race - West Down GP. Early start to get up North for an 11:00am race. Had only decided to do this earlier in the week and at the time I was the 80th of 80 to sign on. Route looked flat enough on the profile I looked at. But it wasn't. Unfortunately start was delayed after someone collapsed on the start line for the A3 race (I think he was an organiser) Hopefully he's ok. When we set off it was straight into a climb and I was struggling from then on. Felt I had just about got it back together as we came round for the second lap but I was off the back and struggling to get back on. Had the group within about 50m for most of the second lap but it was killing me so I eased off and took it easy back to the finish. I got packed up and went home before the race had finished. A bad day at the office

http://www.strava.com/activities/144959574

Sunday 26th May

Out with wirelessdude01 for a hill repeats session. Met up in Lucan then headed up through Saggart to City West for 5 laps of going up the embankment, down Slade valley and back through Saggart to City West. Tough going for me but probably the kind of session that will benefit me most - to get good at hills you have to ride hills. Was watching my power readings going up to try and gauge what I think I can realistically hold for a 4-5km climb. Not as much as I wish. After the 5th I made my way over to Corkagh park as I knew my wife was doing a cycle nearby and I could get a lift home - got into the van just as the heavens opened then had to wait for an hour as she had decided to go for lunch nearby and I didn't have my phone on me to find out where she was, still at least I was dry!

http://www.strava.com/activities/145419416

Thoughts

Well I guess Saturdays race was a bit of a wake up call for me. I had thought I was going well and had been feeling stronger as the weeks were going by but that was the first time I have been dropped this year other than a crash stopping me. It all comes back to weight and I'm still too heavy - I'm down from 112kg a few weeks ago to around 107kg but ideally need to be sub 100. Losing weight and keeping power is tough. If I had finished the FTP test I think it might have been around 350w down from around 360w a month or so ago but it would still mean an increase in w/kg. So on target still for 100kg for Wexford 2 day and hopefully <105kg for the Omagh 3 day in just over 4 weeks time.

Starting to doubt I'll get upgraded this year. Not really been close to getting points in any race yet and still too heavy and doubt that even 100kg is anywhere near light enough.

Next race is the Deenside Cup next weekend. A nice flat race save the 5km hill in the middle - fully expect to get dropped but I need to keep testing myself and it will let me know how far behind I am on the hills and give me something to aim for next year. Races lined up for the weeks after that too leading up to Omagh 3 day (as long as I get in and in club team!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Monday 13th May

Started the week with an easy ride. Was going to be a hill session but the legs didn't feel great so cut that short. Put a couple of hard efforts in there but nothing too taxing. Nice latte in the Phoenix Park visitors centre to finish it off. 62km done at a leisurely enough pace.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140241380

Tuesday 14th May
    Usual Phoenix Park session, met up with De Bhál and we pushed each other on round the laps. Had a few drivers oblivious to cyclists just pulling out but was a good session and was wrecked after. Only 43km but with hitting the hills and the long straight hard it's pretty good race training.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140763509

Wednesday 15th May

Just a run today - long warm-up then a pyramid of 200m, 30s recovery, 400m, 60s recovery, 600m 90s recovery, 800m 120s recovery, 800m 120s recovery, 600m 90s recovery, 400m 60s recovery, 200m 30s recovery and a bit of a cooldown. Running wrecks me. Last few runs though I've been getting a pain in the lower abdomen - doesn't seem to be a hernia but something I need to keep an eye on.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141152825

Thursday 16th May

Club League - 4th round and a handicap up in Brittas. Decision was made to split into two groups with Scratch and Semi Scratch racing together and us in Semi Limit handicapped against Limit. Race started off at a handy enough pace but there were periods where it kept stalling as there were a few just content to sit in, let the group do all the work and then contest the sprint. Sometimes I feel like doing the same but the club races are meant to be there as training as much as anything else so on the last lap when it stalled again just after we left Manor Kilbride I went on the attack, knew it was never going to stick but hoped it would lift the pace and help us catch the limit group It did and a few others launched attack. Coming over the reservoir we had them in view and again I pushed the pace as we latched onto the back of them and quickly tried to get past and into the finishing sprint. I wasn't in a great position so just rolled on over the line. Enjoyed the race.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141560096

Friday 17th May

More park laps with De Bhál. Cycled down to the park and then 4 quick laps before heading to friends for dinner. Last lap I struggled to hold his wheel up the last climb so knew that was enough anyway.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141922961

Saturday 18th May

Spin with a couple of lads from the triathlon club. Handy enough pace without pushing it too much. As always it was a race up the hills. Just over 60km done.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142086708

Sunday 19th May

Training day down in West Meath with the Tri club. I didn't swim as I was spotting in case anyone decided to drown (they didn't) and I didn't run either as I was doing the timing. Just the cycle for me and I had to stop a couple of times to act as a marshall and give directions to everyone behind. Nice little 19.2km loop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/142766114

Monday 20th May and Tuesday 21th May

Rest days - tough enough week last week and hadn't had a rest for a while so decided a rest was needed. I was also planning an FTP test on Wednesday and wanted to go in fresh. I run the club TT league and Tue was the first round - a few good times set but I reckon I would have been close to setting the fastest time if I'd have been riding ;)

Wednesday 22nd May

FTP test. did the warm-up and 5 min leg clearer but abandoned pretty early in the test. It was a war day and there was no wind so opening all the windows made no difference. Really need to buy a fan - but I've been saying that for 2 years now.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144054688

Club run session - 4 km warm-up and then 10 x 400m hill repeats up the Khyber with the 400m back down as recovery. Hard session, lower abdomen sore again.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144083784

Thursday 23rd May

Club League Round 5 - Green Sheds Circuit H/C. Full handicap race this time. Limit had 5 mins on Semi Limit and we set out hard working well to takea good chunk out of the handicap. As we passed Dunsany Lodge the first time we were told we were 90s down so we knew we had them caught although it eased off a little when we knew we were getting close but we eventually caught them nr Dunsany Castle. I still had ambitions of avoiding being caught by Semi Scratch so attacked as the group settled in with limit. The group responded and the pace went back up but after Dunsany Lodge we were caught by semi scratch. The pace lifted then and we were dragged up towards the finishing straight. Again I went off the front with a vague thought of holding everyone off till the finish but it was further than I thought and I died a death and was swallowed back up by the group and rolled over the line. Happy enough with my race.

http://www.strava.com/activities/144391269

Friday 24th May

Another day off.

Saturday 25th May

A4 Race - West Down GP. Early start to get up North for an 11:00am race. Had only decided to do this earlier in the week and at the time I was the 80th of 80 to sign on. Route looked flat enough on the profile I looked at. But it wasn't. Unfortunately start was delayed after someone collapsed on the start line for the A3 race (I think he was an organiser) Hopefully he's ok. When we set off it was straight into a climb and I was struggling from then on. Felt I had just about got it back together as we came round for the second lap but I was off the back and struggling to get back on. Had the group within about 50m for most of the second lap but it was killing me so I eased off and took it easy back to the finish. I got packed up and went home before the race had finished. A bad day at the office

http://www.strava.com/activities/144959574

Sunday 26th May

Out with wirelessdude01 for a hill repeats session. Met up in Lucan then headed up through Saggart to City West for 5 laps of going up the embankment, down Slade valley and back through Saggart to City West. Tough going for me but probably the kind of session that will benefit me most - to get good at hills you have to ride hills. Was watching my power readings going up to try and gauge what I think I can realistically hold for a 4-5km climb. Not as much as I wish. After the 5th I made my way over to Corkagh park as I knew my wife was doing a cycle nearby and I could get a lift home - got into the van just as the heavens opened then had to wait for an hour as she had decided to go for lunch nearby and I didn't have my phone on me to find out where she was, still at least I was dry!

http://www.strava.com/activities/145419416

Thoughts

Well I guess Saturdays race was a bit of a wake up call for me. I had thought I was going well and had been feeling stronger as the weeks were going by but that was the first time I have been dropped this year other than a crash stopping me. It all comes back to weight and I'm still too heavy - I'm down from 112kg a few weeks ago to around 107kg but ideally need to be sub 100. Losing weight and keeping power is tough. If I had finished the FTP test I think it might have been around 350w down from around 360w a month or so ago but it would still mean an increase in w/kg. So on target still for 100kg for Wexford 2 day and hopefully <105kg for the Omagh 3 day in just over 4 weeks time.

Starting to doubt I'll get upgraded this year. Not really been close to getting points in any race yet and still too heavy and doubt that even 100kg is anywhere near light enough.

Next race is the Deenside Cup next weekend. A nice flat race save the 5km hill in the middle - fully expect to get dropped but I need to keep testing myself and it will let me know how far behind I am on the hills and give me something to aim for next year. Races lined up for the weeks after that too leading up to Omagh 3 day (as long as I get in and in club team!).

That was a good hill session Sunday morning. We should try and make it a regular thing and get a few of the others involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hopefully catch you at Deenside Cup, considering the 3 day in Omagh also.

Monday 26th May

Decided to try running a couple of times a week in a morning before breakfast to see if it helps with weight loss. I have a handy 6km loop that I’m going to aim for twice a week to start with. Nothing quick – more about making sure it’s completed without risking injury

http://www.strava.com/activities/145712220

Evening time was a recovery ride keeping HR within my moderate zone (93-123bpm). Felt good and it was a nice enough ride on one of my usual routes up to Ratoath and up to Ashbourne before heading back down the rather boring Ashbourne Road to Wards Cross.

http://www.strava.com/activities/145912073/

Tuesday 27th May

Another early morning run.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146116601

Tuesday night laps in the park. Fast enough and enjoyable in a sadistic kind of way – legs were in bits by the last lap as Sundays hill repeats started to catch up with my old legs.

http://www.strava.com/activities/146291205

Wednesday 28th May

Took the day off – needed to recover decided to get the van serviced and ended up with a big repair bill. Water pump had been making a bit of a noise and needed replacing and ball joints/bushes were on their way out. Still – it’s good for another while now.
    Thursday 29th May

Club League Round 6. This was a DMS so each of the four groups had a separate race – I prefer this as you aren’t constantly pushing catch the group in front whilst watching over your shoulder to see how far behind the other group are only for it all to end in a group sprint with riders spread all over the place.

We set off and it was pretty cagey stuff with no one wanting to push on – mentally I had decided to sit in during the race but if the whole bunch decide to so it then there isn’t much of a race. I’ve no patience so I switched to attack mode. I tried to make a couple of breaks on the first lap but everything was shut down fast enough. Second lap I got towards the front and held back every time someone went to make a break. I wanted a break to get 1-200m up the road and stick so I could then bridge over and try to get away with them. Didn’t happen so 3rd lap I went off by myself once we got to the sharp left in Manor Kilbride. A couple were already a little up the road and I quickly caught them and went straight to the front hoping that they would sit in for a while and the do some work once I’d pushed our lead on a bit. I dropped them. I held out by myself for about 8km altogether and managed to get about 20 seconds up on the group as I exited the bridge over the reservoir but I knew it wasn’t going to be enough and sure enough as I hit the hill towards the finish it wasn’t long before I was passed. I managed to get onto the back of a few of them and probably crossed in the top 10 or so. I found out afterwards that

Also met NamelessPhil who somehow manages to fit in racing between riding ridiculously long audax’s – lots of secret boardsie’s around!

http://www.strava.com/activities/147023957

Friday 30th May

Rest day again –wasn’t meant to be but took my niece to the playground and was shattered afterwards. Well not exactly shattered just couldn’t be bothered :)

Saturday 31st May

Went with the wife to Athy as she was doing the triathlon. Spent most of the day taking photographs of the event – over 2,200+ altogether. Sorted and posted the club ones straight away but as I took loads I’m going to share the rest - started up loading this morning but it looks like it’s going to take about 18 hours!

Sunday 1st June

Deenside Cup A4 Race. I hate hills – or at least racing on them and as such had been having second thoughts about this for the last few weeks. In the end I decided that at the very least it would give me something to aim for next year if I set myself a time/benchmark this year.

Got down early enough and was immediately impressed by the organisation of the event – signed on, had a nice cup of tea and a flapjack in the marquee and then went for a warm-up. Nothing mental just 14km or so heading the opposite way round the circuit and then turning around to get an idea of the finish.

We started off and it was straight into a headwind. Again as soon as the pace slowed and it became a chess match any ideas of staying sheltered and saving myself for the climbs went and I was soon on the front trying to break away. Worked a bit with a lad from Bikeworx but no one else was prepared to do anything and any time someone went clear they just pulled the bunch up to the back wheel. Again I tried to let people get a gap so I could jump but every time it got towards 50m someone reeled them back in.
    First time up Glenmagoo was tough and I started slipping back straight away. All of my team mates went by me and I was more or less at the back staring at a rapidly disappearing group. At this point Upthe19th came past me and shouted at me – I got onto his wheel and a few of us worked together to keep the group within sight and we worked our way past others who had been dropped including 3 from my club – I wasn’t the only one finding it tough. As it levelled out I got my second wind and powered up the rest of the climb cresting just behind a milk lorry. I was on the back of the lorry all the way down the hill – several times I tried to get past but he wasn’t letting me and it wasn’t until just before the left hander at the bottom that I got past him. As I hammered it from the sharp right to the start/finish line I picked up 3-4 fellow stragglers and we worked a little to get back on. I could still see the group as I came through the line and the announcer told us we were 35 seconds down. At this point a van overtook us and I used it to pull us back onto the main group shouting out to another team mate to jump on as he was just starting to get distanced.

I had about 2 minutes rest once I got back attached and then went straight back to the front as the pace started to drop. Again nothing happening as everything I tried was shut down, so I drifted further back down the group and launched an attack from way back hoping that my speed and a lack of anyone working together to coordinate a response would help carry me clear. It did. HR hit my maximum as I powered away and then I settled down to trying to keep away still working at my maximum. I was away for a good while – around 13km in the end and every bit of it was hard work. I looked round several times hoping to see someone bridging but I only ever saw the group. Not sure how far in front I was at the maximum but I was happy to see the right hand turn in Ballyragget and the start of the climb as that meant I could sit up and l could finish the race at my own pace. Ended up riding with a team mate rest of the lap to the finish, we were mainly chatting but as we got otwards the bottom we pushed on with a couple who had just overtaken us. We worked together towards the finish except for one swords lad who sat in and the sprinted for the finish. I had nothing left in the tank.

My intention was never to try and solo away to the win or anything grand like that. I just felt that it was heading towards a bunch sprint and that if I could push the pace up it all the way to Glenmagoo the second time then there would be riders who would get dropped on the hill and it should make for a smaller safer finish. I had two teammates in the bunch, one of who is a good climber and I thought this might help him – it did get him up near the front at the finish but unfortunately he missed out on the sprint. I knew regardless of saving myself I was going to be one of the ones who would get dropped on the hill – especially as I had been dropped the first time, so I would have got nothing out of the race, sitting in, waiting for the inevitable. I also enjoy trying to make the break seeing how many times I can ping off the front before the group stop s responding or doesn’t respond fast enough (or decide I’m an eejit so let me kill myself out there for as long as I can manage - more likely).

http://www.strava.com/activities/148237241

Thoughts

I have weeks when I think my cycling is going well and I have some hope that I’ll meet my aim of getting promoted out of A4. Then I have others where I think I’m stuck in A4 for a few seasons until I luck my way out or self upgrade. This was one of the better weeks.
    Tuesdays park session normally gives me a sense of how I’m feeling and I was going well although feeling tired. The lad I usually train with wasn’t leaving me for dead on the hills and I was feeling strong on the straights.

Thursdays race went well (for me) – I don’t think the finish suits me at all and I’ll be extremely fortunate to ever get a place there – it happened last year but I think there were only 8 of us in the race. It does give me great confidence to be able to break away and hold it for a while. Admittedly it’s pretty useless in the grand scheme of things but still…

I was also happy with Sundays race –I knew the hill was going to be my undoing but having the ability to dig deep and get back on after being just over a minute down (judging by Strava segment times) and then to still have the strength to launch an attack and keep it going for such a long time (nearly 20 mins)… well I impressed myself at least. Fair enough it was an attack for nothing though.

Hoping to have a club team for Omagh in a few weeks so training is aimed towards that from now on. Still a major concentration on the weight too. A few kg's lighter could have made the difference in the Deenside Cup. >105kg would be good for Omagh. ~107kg this week so 5kg down from a few weeks ago.

Great attitude to have.
    Keep attacking Richard, on the right parcours you won't be caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

De Bhál wrote: »
    Great attitude to have.
    Keep attacking Richard, on the right parcours you won't be caught.

Thing is we well know Richard's strengths, on the right parcours I defo won't be letting him up the road without me on his wheel! ;)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Thing is we well know Richard's strengths, on the right parcours I defo won't be letting him up the road without me on his wheel! ;)

Haha, you were probably sitting in the bunch on Sunday laughing to yourself knowing I wouldn't make it over the hill :)

Monday 2nd June

Had a couple of Time Trials coming up so decided to do an easy ride on the TT bike just to get used to the position again. I used it quite a bit over winter but it hasn’t moved much over the last few weeks so was due an outing. I added a couple of hard efforts but nothing too taxing.

http://app.strava.com/activities/148632661

Tuesday 3rd June

Decided to give the Mondello race a bash. I had done one last year and got dropped once the A4 group was caught so I had no real expectations this week. Pace seemed high enough to start with and there was a good bit of shouting going on to try and get all the A4’s to work together and stay clear for as long as we could. Not everyone was coming through to do their fair share though and the pace would keep dropping and one of the regular workers would need to jump back to the front and drive it on. The A4 group was dropping riders lap by lap as we kept a handy pace and when we got caught with 3 laps to go the pace went up even higher. I was keeping my eye on the group and there were 4-5 A4’s left. I decided who I thought was the strongest and tried to keep on his wheel. Into the final corner and it was between the 2 of us, I chose a Lucan wheel to follow for the sprint home and as we hit the straight he sat up and left me high and dry with no one else to follow. 2nd A4 but nothing for being 1st loser. Also another pointer that sitting in and doing the minimum is the way to win…

http://app.strava.com/activities/149145921

Wednesday 4th June

Day off. Could have done an easy cycle but sometimes total rest just feels right. Had been suffering with a bit of a headcold since Monday and hoped the rest would help.

Thursday 5th June

Club League Round 7. 10 mile TT. Was looking forward to this and hoped I’d get my first points of the season. Did a bit of a warm-up and then headed for the start line. Still a bit of a wait so headed back out and then decided to stop and mess around with my cadence sensor as it wasn’t working. Took a while and got back to the start line with only 60s to go.
    I split the TT up into ¼’s and aimed to do each one slightly harder than the previous using HR as a gauge. Plan was to get the HR up to 148 for the first section then let it raise slightly for each section after. Usually I don’t get much over 152 unless it’s a short sprint or climb. In the last section I hit 158 and completely emptied myself. Breathing was all over the place when I finished.
    Time for the 10 miles was 23:31 which was good enough for 3rd in Semi Limit with two A3’s in front of me. I could probably have got 2nd or closer if I hadn’t spent the first 10s faffing with my GPS which I had forgotten to reset.

http://app.strava.com/activities/149909755

Friday 6th June

Rest day again - just had a handy cycle to the coffee shop to meet a mate.

Saturday 7th June

Naas Open TT – decided at the last minute to go over to naas and do this. Had seen a course profile and it looked flat enough. Hoped to beat 29 mins but would settle for <30 mins. I was number 18 and had another A4 out behind me and one of Irelands top females out before me. Same as Thursday I was splitting it into sections and working harder on each one. There was a humped back bridge on the course and that was probably the toughest part on the way out. As I approached half way I saw my one minute (wo)man heading back towards me and made a note of the time. I exited the turn 30s after we crossed so I was still around 1 min behind. The lad behind was a bit further back so I’d gained on him but one of the UCD lads was absolutely storming towards me. Not far after the turn he caught and passed me – I tried to use him to pace but not a chance – he was a machine. Noticeable headwind back and as I hit the hump back bridge again I slowed to 25kmh. I’d been giving myself splits and at half way it was obvious to me I wouldn’t be hitting sub 29 as I was only about 12s up on 30 min pace. As I headed back I was struggling to hold 40 kmh and could see the 12s reserve slipping. Last 1km was uphill and the headwind had picked up. I struggled towards the finish and knew it was touch and go to beat the 30 minute mark. Ended up with 29:52 and 15th overall. The UCD lad who overtook me set a winning time of 24:56.

http://app.strava.com/activities/150492546

Sunday 8th June

Sean Nolan GP – well the less said about this the better. Missed a turning whilst off the front and took too long to notice so I wasn’t going to get back on.

Thoughts

Will probably race Tuesday in Mondello and the Club DMS on Thursday. Roundwood on Saturday just doesn't appeal to me so will either head over to Rosscommon for the Donamon GP - although the 2 hour trip isn't appealing to me at the moment or I might do two long training days which might benefit me more with the Omagh 3 day on the horizon... Still not shaken the cold I had earlier this week. Think it might be slipping down to my chest too so will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bahra12

"Sean Nolan GP – well the less said about this the better. Missed a turning whilst off the front and took too long to notice so I wasn’t going to get back on"

Probably better off... The last 10 mins things got crashy and lads seem to be fairly wrecked and losing concentration.

Fair play for having a go at least.

Haven’t updated this for a while so it might be a long one…

Monday 9th June

Day off.

Tuesday 10th June

Mondello race. A4’s didn’t work as well as they could and we were caught with a good few laps to go by A3’s and a few A2’s who had bridged across. Average speed for the night was 41kmh and I finished mid pack.

http://www.strava.com/activities/151992889

Wednesday 11th June

Run with tri-club. Warmed up with them and as they did intervals I did a couple of laps of the 15 acres.

http://www.strava.com/activities/152365751

Thursday 12th June

Club League – Brittas. 4 laps and a hill top finish. Sat in for a while then tried a few breaks but nothing serious. One of the LCRC
    juniors went for it on the last lap and as none of the other clubs seemed to want to chase I think the Lucan lads decided to let him go. As soon as we hit the hill finish I was gone. Finished the race but that really is a b1tch of a climb.

http://www.strava.com/activities/152826521

Friday 13th June

Day off

Saturday 14th June

Day off

Sunday 15th June

Leisure cycle with a lad from the tri club. Sally gap and back. Took it handy on the way up and let him go on the climbs just doing it at my own pace. Was a nice spin and good to chat and cycle.

http://www.strava.com/activities/153850066

Monday 16th June

Day off

Tuesday 17th June

Day off

Wednesday 18th june

Day off

Thursday 19th June

Club League – Black Bull – 2 laps of the Mullagh. Found this handy enough and after of test breaks 2 lads got away on the last lap. I bridged over and we started to work together but as we were caught a Tiernans lad jumped and got away. With no real coordinated break it was left to me to try and get him in the last km but despite a high enough pace he did well and held us off. I finished in the bunch.

http://www.strava.com/activities/155612579

Friday 20th June

Day Off

Saturday 21st June

Ned Flanagan race – On paper this looked good as it was a flat course. In reality it should have been good but for lousy positioning from me and going for a sprint way, way too early. Finished mid pack.

http://www.strava.com/activities/156442528

Sunday 22nd June

Day Off

Monday 23rd June

Day off

Tuesday 24th June

Mondello. Another frustrating night as the A4 group wasn’t working well together and pretty soon all groups were together A1/2/3/4. Always worry in a huge group on a technical circuit but it was reasonably well behaved. No positioning as usual for the sprint so rolled over in the bunch.

http://www.strava.com/activities/157753677

Wednesday 25th June

Day Off

Thursday 26th June

Day off

Friday 27th June

Tour of Omagh

We had a team of 6 heading up to Omagh for the 3 day / 4 stages (5 lads + 1 lady) and we had 2 lads come along to help us out driving a team car and general helpers. I’m really grateful to them for giving up their time and for the assistance they gave us in getting bikes ready and other menial stuff.
    I got there early enough and was in my room and unpacked before sign on even opened. I’d booked the whole team into the Race HQ hotel and it was a great decision. Nice enough hotel but much more convenient for sign on and everything else race related.

Stage #1.
    Pre Race plan for this stage was to hang on in there and try and get a “s/t” on the timesheet (as the winner). It didn’t look
    particularly hilly and had just 2 KOH’s.

I ended up at the front after the rollout and was working well with a couple of others coming up to the firs sprint which I went for from 1km out. I was holding high 50’kmhs but still got swamped with 100m to go and was straight to the back of the group. First climb went well and on the second I just chose the wrong wheel and as he struggled I didn’t move round quick enough and was off the back. At the top I looked around and managed to collect a small group of fellow chasers and I managed to push the pace up and get us through the cars and back onto the back of the group. My bike wasn’t feeling great at this point and it was quickly apparent I had a puncture. I also noticed I’d lost my drinks bottle. Hand up and looking for the team car but several km later and watching the group disappear into the distance still no sight of the team car. At this point the lads from Foyle gave me a lend, helped me change the wheel and gave me a push on my way – top lads. It was a tough slog back into a head wind and I wasn't too impressed as I was busting myself to try and minimise time losses to see a rider holding on to his team car to get a tow back on to the group. I lost 8:32 mins in the end - once I was out the back it was hard work into a headwind. Overall 96th place out of 109 and 8:32 down on GC. 2 did not finish the stage.

http://www.strava.com/activities/159616361

Saturday 28th June

Stage #2 TT.

This was a stage I had targeted pre-race. Woke up feeling terrible, losing the drinks bottle and not getting a replacement had left me dehydrated and even though I had drunk a lot of water I was still suffering the effects. Set off and felt like I was putting a lot of effort in for very little speed. Noticed after about a km that I was still in the bottom ring and changed up but felt empty and powerless. I feel I left a lot of time out there but did a 5:40 which was 12th overall. I reckon I could have got a top 3 on any other day. The result left me 8:50 down and lifted me slightly to 94th place out of 107. 2 did not start the day.

http://www.strava.com/activities/159616311

Stage #3.

This was an unmitigated disaster. On the rollout I mentioned to one of the lads that I had nothing in the legs and sure enough as soon as we hit the first climb I was out the back and struggling big time. A few of us started to work together but as we were making our way through the cars two lads went into the back of a team car and I got hit from behind as I had to brake to miss them. I stayed up but it was always a long day after this. I continued on and was joined a Cavan rider and eventually we caught the lady on my team and worked together to get to the finish. I was bonking badly despite gels and drink and was really struggling and had to sit in and just hold on towards the end. We made our way to the finish well behind the first finishers - 18 mins 19s behind. So I was now 101st out of 106 – heading downwards. Another 1 person DNF'd the day.

http://www.strava.com/activities/159616352

I had 2 dinners that night to try and get energy into me. Lots of water too and slept as much as I could. Woke up and seriously thought of pulling out I still felt terrible. Big breakfast and a vague hope I'd got some energy back and wasn't going to bonk again but I wasn’t sure about anything.

Sunday 29th June

Stage #4.

I was at the back early on and feeling weak. My main aim for the day was to survive over the first KOH and see what happened from there – if I could get to the base of the second then fantastic. Legs felt empty early on but warmed up for the first climb and I hung on easily enough. Average for 1st hour was 40kmh over a fairly undulating course.as we were going towards the second sprint there was a pretty bad crash and I nearly lost the wheel in front and a gap started to open. I managed to hang on and was doing ok till we came to a hairpin right just before the 2nd KOH and then the elastic snapped. A couple people went down and as the front few sped on a gap opened that I was never going to shut. I made my way up the climb at my own pace and then started to work with a couple of lads (swords and Tiernans) and we were going ok till we hit the main climb of the day when I let them go – they climbed it 75s faster than me according to Strava . Towards the top another LCRC lad joined me. He was 3rd in the GC within the team and as I knew Tiernans had 3 up the road then we needed to try and close the gap to try and ensure we stayed in front of them. So once we crested the climb we started to work together to finish the race. I led him down the hill and pushed the pace up towards the end and leading the little group over the line to get the best time we could. Finished the stage 7:42 down and overall 34:51 down and 95th out of 102 finishers. Another 4 DNF's for the day. In the Team comp we gained bragging rights in the ICL as we beat Tiernans by a solitary second. It’s a small victory but they all count.

http://www.strava.com/activities/159616349

Thoughts

Warning: this is long too!

Never really had high hopes for Omagh as it was a hilly enough course but was still disappointed by my performance. Had hoped to get A3 this season but now I aren’t even sure I want to. If I can’t compete with A4’s then what’s the point? I’d also like to aim for this event in 2015 and see how I can improve.

First up a confession - I’m going back to the darkside – I signed up to do my one tri of the year in August and have agreed to do Ironman (and half Ironman) Mallorca next year with my brother in law. Doing the Ironman is purely selfish and a means to an end. To explain - I will struggle out there in the heat at my current weight so I’ll have to lose weight. I think at the moment I’m just too comfortable – I know I need to be lighter but I’m existing as I am and I’m lacking focus after so many pack finishes in the cycling without ever really challenging for a place. Hopefully agreeing to do IM Mallorca will help motivate me again. I’ll have a couple of small targets for this year to help kick me in the right direction too…

So - I’ll still be continuing with the racing though both next year and this and the rough plan for the rest of the season is to take it easy this week (except the club 25m TT) and enjoy Leeds and the TdF Grand depart at the weekend and kick things off again with structured training from Monday. Had too many days off lately. Race wise targets are:

13/07 – Moynalty GP, Moynalty, Meath
    19/07 – Tommy Brady Memorial, Robinstown, Meath
    20/07 – Seamus Kennedy Memorial, Dunboyne, Meath
    27/07 – Brendan Campbell Memorial, Donore, Louth.
    03/08 – SERC GP, Gorey, Wexford.
    09/08 – Beechmount Cup, Kilmessan, Meath.
    10/08 – Ballinrobe GP

Then a month off cycle racing till …

06-07/09 Charleville 2 day

Then that’s the season over and a long winter of base and weight loss will ensue..

In my month off racing I’ll be doing Dublin City Tri. Aim is just to complete this, it clashes with Wexford 2 day. Had to choose and after last weekend I’ve decided hilly stage races mean nothing to me. Yes, I know this one is hilly too but in 2 months I should be a little lighter and hopefully a bit more competitive.

Also decided to start training for Dublin Marathon and will be starting my 12 week programme next Monday. Did 6 slow marathons last year. First one I hit the wall at the half way point and took 4:29:18. The other 5 were part of a Galway to Dublin run over 5 days and were untimed. I got a stress fracture on day 2 so am pretty sure they were all slower than 4:30. Aim for this year is to beat 4 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

In the Team comp we gained bragging rights in the ICL as we beat Tiernans by a solitary second. It’s a small victory but they all count.

Ha! I'm a gonna make you suffer for that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement