Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

crime of the century??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Barr wrote:
    my main point is the gardai should be investing their time and resources into more serious crime like joyriders , car theft , the majority of such is never solved
    And if they pull you over , at least let you know what exactly are they charging you with i.e , undue care attention, wreckless driving, dangerous driving ,I know what i done wrong but thats it , why not issue a ticket??, lack of funds in the department of justice budget maybe, at least make the person aware of whats happening next without having to ask them ?
    also how could one hog a lane as there was no one around to hog the lane from apart from the gaurdai who were obviously breakin da speed limit themselves to have caught up with me
    I read it but it didn't answer the only question people were really asking. Why were you in the outside lane then?

edit: Ah I see ds20prefecture has kindly provided a summary of all the questions people would love to see an answer to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

boardsee wrote:
    I bet your one of those muffty`s that drive around with the lights on during the daytime. And not the fog lights either
    I'm one of those “muffty`s”, whatever that is. I drive with my lights on during the day because there are just so many inattentive, stupid, ignorant, awful drivers on the road in Ireland. The kind that leaves their rear foglight on all the time; the kind that doesn't turn their lights on at dusk, or in fog; the kind that sits in the overtaking lane like a moron.

Overtake the car, and pull over. It doesn't matter how many cars are in front of you or behind you, what time of the day or night it is, or even if you're just too damned lazy to pull back in for the couple hundred yards between cars you're overtaking, you're wrong if you sit in the overtaking lane, period, full stop, end of story.

Stop arguing about it, you're just coming across as a selfish, arrogant asshole that shouldn't be allowed drive a car. You're wrong.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

^
    I think you're the only one coming across as selfish and arrogant. Stop being so dogmatic. It's ooonly a car. It's people like you that make it a chore for other people to learn. You're probably the person who holds his hand on the horn until a learner gets out of your way, aren't you?

BTW, nice to see you boasting about getting banned from forums... Nothing sad about it... You're an internet bad-ass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

DaveMcG wrote:
    I think you're the only one coming across as selfish and arrogant.
    No, I think he's right about boardsee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

dahamsta wrote:

Stop arguing about it, you're just coming across as a selfish, arrogant asshole that shouldn't be allowed drive a car. You're wrong.

wow, i think you should start acting like the moderator your title suggests you to be. posts like that only serve to fuel the flames that you yourself are supposed to put out.

now lets get back to the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I did'nt want to go into too much detail with first post but here goes
    The road I was travelling on is a link road no more than 1km in distance end to end with 2 lanes that conects the city centre to a major rounndabound which then breaks off into three lanes.
    On the inside lane there are 2 slip roads which leads cars onto the link road so i usaully travel on the outside lane to avoid these so as to give them room to build up speed .
    It was just past the first slip road when i was pulled over approaching the second slip road , I travel this rd every morning and stay on the outside lane past the slip roads but that particular morning there was no other car making its way on to the link rd thus no other traffic part from sqaud car.
    But having said that i find myself on the outside lane most of the time on this particular road being held up by people who think if they are driving at the speed limit , often below the limit , they do not have to make way for cars travelling at higher speeds, so anybody who sees a past approaching supra with a veilside front spoiler please make your way into the slow lane. Well apart frome some exceptions i.e WRX's , 300ZX, 200SX, SKYLINES,FTO's, EVO's,BMW's > 2.0 etc , you know who you are !!!! :cool:
    So I never usually need to be on the inside lane of this particular stretch of road as
    1) I am usually overtaking whatevers in the left hand lane
    2)the road has two slip roads which lead on to the link road , which if you were on the inside lane you would have to avoid these anyway
    3)I take the last exit on the roundabout which would require me to get into outside lane anyway just a short distance up the road .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

DaveMcG wrote:
    ^
    I think you're the only one coming across as selfish and arrogant. Stop being so dogmatic.

No. He's coming across as correct and annoyed. It is people like the original poster and you who are selfish and arrogant.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    It's ooonly a car.
    And what harm can anyone do with a car afterall :rolleyes:

1.2 Million killed per year; 50 million injured and disabled
    DaveMcG wrote:
    It's people like you that make it a chore for other people to learn. You're probably the person who holds his hand on the horn until a learner gets out of your way, aren't you?

Actually no. It's people like you who believe the rules are just an optional extra that doesn't really apply to them that make learning difficult and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Barr wrote:
    I did'nt want to go into too much detail with first post but here goes
    The road I was travelling on is a link road no more than 1km in distance end to end with 2 lanes that conects the city centre to a major rounndabound which then breaks off into three lanes.
    On the inside lane there are 2 slip roads which leads cars onto the link road so i usaully travel on the outside lane to avoid these so as to give them room to build up speed .
    It was just past the first slip road when i was pulled over approaching the second slip road , I travel this rd every morning and stay on the outside lane past the slip roads but that particular morning there was no other car making its way on to the link rd thus no other traffic part from sqaud car.
    But having said that i find myself on the outside lane most of the time on this particular road being held up by people who think if they are driving at the speed limit , often below the limit , they do not have to make way for cars travelling at higher speeds, so anybody who sees a past approaching supra with a veilside front spoiler please make your way into the slow lane. Well apart frome some exceptions i.e WRX's , 300ZX, 200SX, SKYLINES,FTO's, EVO's,BMW's > 2.0 etc , you know who you are !!!! :cool:
    So I never usually need to be on the inside lane of this particular stretch of road as
    1) I am usually overtaking whatevers in the left hand lane
    2)the road has two slip roads which lead on to the link road , which if you were on the inside lane you would have to avoid these anyway
    3)I take the last exit on the roundabout which would require me to get into outside lane anyway just a short distance up the road .

Well barr , i'll agree with you on the whole satying in the fast lane when passing slip-roads in order to give the people joining the motorway some space. As most drivers in this country dont know when to speed up or slow down to allow other people join from the slip road. theres nothing worse than when joining a motorway and theres some D***head doing the exact same speed as you and exactly parralell to you who wont let you in. I could some times swear that their cars are being driven computerized robotic programmes rathern than by common sense, logic and initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

No, I think he's right about boardsee.
    Errrr what??? He wasnt referring to me? :confused:
    BTW, nice to see you boasting about getting banned from forums... Nothing sad about it... You're an internet bad-ass...
    And whos that aimed at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That comment was aimed at Dahamsta (check his sig).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

John R wrote:
    No. He's coming across as correct and annoyed. It is people like the original poster and you who are selfish and arrogant.

Yeah, he's correct about the rule, but chastising someone for breaking the rule when it didn't affect anyone else is ridiculous. It's not like he was swigging from a bottle of vodka and playing slalom with pedestrians, he was only in the wrong lane -- and not even when there were other cars around. I can understand being annoyed if someone's in the overtaking lane when you're right behind them, but there was nobody there, and that guy made a big deal out of it. And it wasn't even because he was endangering lives or anything, but because he wasn't the perfect driver that dahamsta apparantly is(I would certainly hope so since he's chastising others like he is).
    John R wrote:
    And what harm can anyone do with a car afterall :rolleyes:

1.2 Million killed per year; 50 million injured and disabled

Like I said, he wasn't doing anything dangerous, since there was nobody around to be endangered -- and even if there was, they would see him a mile away and be merely "inconvenienced" by not being able to overtake him (or indeed, the OP would move into the appropriate lane and let them pass). Obviously rules like stop at a red light are somewhat important :rolleyes: But others are less-so (or at least in certain situations), and sticking dogmatically to the rules and chastising anyone who dares to step outside the box is just annoying.
    John R wrote:
    Actually no. It's people like you who believe the rules are just an optional extra that doesn't really apply to them that make learning difficult and dangerous.

Like I said, rules are important, but flaming someone for being in the wrong lane... on a dual-carraigeway... in virtual isolation... is annoying, and he's just doing it because he can; I'm sure dahamsta has gone "crazy" once or twice, and broken the odd rule, and he wouldn't think twice about doing it again. But someone else did it, so that's a different story.

I don't know why the OP was in the wrong lane... but it didn't affect anyone, and going on what information he's given us (could be all lies, I don't really know or care, I'm just dealing with the scenario), it appears the Garda was pulling him over for the sake of it, or to make a point or something.

I don't even give a sh*t about what he did (be in the wrong lane), I just don't get why everyone's going so harshly on him... seems fairly childish to me.

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's ooonly a car.
    I prefer to think of it as a two-ton blunt instrument that careless incompetents that think "it's ooonly a car" regularly commit manslaughter with on the roads of Ireland.
    You're probably the person who holds his hand on the horn until a learner gets out of your way, aren't you?
    Actually I have a lot of respect for learner drivers, since most of them advertise their ignorance clearly, which enables me to give them a wide berth. Do you have learner plates? I ask only because your ignorance and/or disrespect of the rules of the road would suggest you need them.
    Indeed I am. And well done for demonstrating to everyone else that your argument is so pathetically weak that you have to resort to dissing sigs. Try mocking my handle next, or calling me "fatty". Ooooohhh!

Barr, if there was no traffic on the road, and nothing coming off the sliproads, why were you in the overtaking lane? Oh, and FYI, the rules of the road in the UK state that you should move to the outside lane if traffic is entering the carriageway from a sliproad. Not on the off-chance that traffic might come along on the sliproad, any minute now, sure I'll betcha a fiver. You were wrong, the Garda pulled you up on it, I hope they do prosecute you for it.

adam /who was boxed in by a stupid bitch in a toyota jeep in the overtaking lane this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

DaveMcG wrote:

I don't know why the OP was in the wrong lane... but it didn't affect anyone, and going on what information he's given us (could be all lies, I don't really know or care, I'm just dealing with the scenario), it appears the Garda was pulling him over for the sake of it, or to make a point or something.

I don't even give a sh*t about what he did (be in the wrong lane), I just don't get why everyone's going so harshly on him... seems fairly childish to me.

Did you read the original post? There was another car, in this case a police car. That car did not materialise behind the OP, so added to driving in the wrong lane we also have not paying attention while driving.

I will also move into the outside lane to allow people onto the main carriage way from sliproads. I find I only need to do this when someone is actually trying to join the road though.:rolleyes:

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

He was taaking the next right turn off the roundabout a short distance ahead. He was in the correct lane. Besides, for all we know that female guarda who received no driver training from the guardaforce, could have being driving the squad car that went out of control killing that old woman after crashing thru a busstop a couple months back. The guards arent always right, and from wha tive seen of them, they`re pretty **** drivers themselves.

DubTony, what age are you out of interest? 95?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just regarding the 3 lane, stay in lane situation.

DubTony, are you saying the lane 2 (the middle lane) is only to be used for overtaking cars in lane 1 (left hand lane)?

Please see attached image..

If you have been in lane 2 since before the bridge and you are not going to take the turn off (so you will be on lane 2 after the left turn off which lane 1 takes) are you saying you should get into lane 1 if you are not going speeds to overtake those who are in lane 1 and then get back into lane 2 only when lane 1 is coming to an end (so even after you pass the GET IN LANE sign you should remain in lane 1 unless you are overtaking even though you will be going from lane 2 before the bridge, to lane 2 after the lane 1 exit?

So if the above does not apply, if you are coming off the bridge and you want to take the left turn off up ahead and those who were doing say 90kmph in lane 2 (left hand lane before lane 1 came into play) should remain in lane 2, and you are going 100kmph, is it ok to overtake them in lane1? Or should they move into lane 1 and allow you to overtake in lane 2 and then swap back lanes once you have made the manouver and not after the GET IN LANE sign, but before the lane 1 exit, they get into lane 2?

Or should it be that if you want to overtake anybody on that road you MUST be in lane 3 so then nobody in lane 2 or 1 should be overtaking eachother? so they must be going the exact same speed. Surely not?

This piece of road is the turn off onto the M11 from Bray/Shankill, past the lane 1 exit is then the m50, this is going northbound.

boardsee wrote:
    for all we know that female guarda who received no driver training from the guardaforce, could have being driving the squad car that went out of control killing that old woman after crashing thru a busstop a couple months back.
    That's the most pathetic rebuttal I've seen in a long time.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Replying to Cormie's post ...

The left most lane in that situation is not the same as the left most lane of a normal 3-lane motorway. It's signposted (as far as I can remember) as the turn-off lane for the M11/N11 very early on, just after the traffic joins from the Fassaroe junction, and the dashed line separating it from the main carriageway indicates the same. What DubTony was referring to was a normal 3-lane motorway so those rules don't apply here.

Despite this, many cars on the main carriageway still seem to leave it until the very, very last minute to pull into this lane, even in the morning when the traffic is very busy on that stretch. Why they do this I don't know, but it makes undertaking traffic in this lane at any great speed differential a hazardous procedure because cars pull over into this lane apparently without looking with alarming regularity.

dahamsta wrote:
    Oh, and FYI, the rules of the road in the UK state that you should move to the outside lane if traffic is entering the carriageway from a sliproad. [/size]

Did I forget to mention this happened in Ireland !!!

Barr wrote:
    Did I forget to mention this happened in Ireland !!!
    The points I was trying to make are: a) You're applying British rules of the road in Ireland; and b) you're not even doing it right.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Barr wrote:
    Something seems to have confused you into thinking that the brand or model of car you drive determines your entitlement to the use of the outside lane. I'm guessing regular self-abuse?

I don't believe I have read a more childish, ill-constructed sentence in my brief spell on this forum. The thought of someone this immature regularly driving something as powerful as a Supra chills me to the bone. I hope you confine yourself to the outside lane of dual carriageways around Cork only.

The fact that you still cannot see what you did wrong is also particularly worrying. It is not the crime of the century, but to seek (and find!) support for your actions on a motoring forum beggars belief.

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    The points I was trying to make are: a) You're applying British rules of the road in Ireland; and b) you're not even doing it right.

Totally irrelevant really ............... any other useless bits of information :rolleyes:

Barr wrote:
    Totally irrelevant really ............... any other useless bits of information :rolleyes:
    That's the most pathetic rebuttal I've seen in just over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

dahamsta wrote:
    Oh, and FYI, the rules of the road in the UK state that you should move to the outside lane if traffic is entering the carriageway from a sliproad.

Got a reference for that? Because I can't find it where you would expect it to be.

Dermot

dahamsta wrote:
    That's the most pathetic rebuttal I've seen in just over an hour.

Hey Dahomsta , how are those stupid classes working out for ya??

I think you need to get out more often with over 10,000 posts, theres a whole world happening out there plus you can show off that finely polished halo of yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Barr wrote:
    so anybody who sees a past approaching supra with a veilside front spoiler please make your way into the slow lane. Well apart frome some exceptions i.e WRX's , 300ZX, 200SX, SKYLINES,FTO's, EVO's,BMW's > 2.0 etc , you know who you are !!!! :cool:

You must be taking the piss..

"Base, here is that gob****e in the supra again!"
    "His number came up-book him.."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

WOOHOO !!!! BARFIGHT !!!!
    Step out for a few hours and the whole place falls to pieces.
    boardsee wrote:
    DubTony, what age are you out of interest? 95?

Don't make me come over there. :D
    cormie wrote:
    DubTony, are you saying the lane 2 (the middle lane) is only to be used for overtaking cars in lane 1 (left hand lane)?

Please see attached image..

If you have been in lane 2 since before the bridge and you are not going to take the turn off (so you will be on lane 2 after the left turn off which lane 1 takes) are you saying you should get into lane 1 if you are not going speeds to overtake those who are in lane 1 an ... yada yada yada

I'm glad Alun relpied to this one. Because, cormie, for a guy with over 33 hundred posts under his belt I'd have thought you'd come up with something better than that nonsense.

Hey Mike. Is the entertainment value the only good reason this is still open?

mackerski wrote:
    Got a reference for that? Because I can't find it where you would expect it to be.
    No, I don't see it either, so looks like I'm wrong on that front. It's certainly how things work in practice over there though - and on the Continent; at least in France, Spain and Germany in my personal experience - so it's a pity it's not in the Highway Code, and the Rules of the Road.

They do suffer from lane-hogging in Britain too, but it's not even close to the horrendous levels of it we have over here. Driving on the Continent is an absolute pleasure in comparison.

Since barr has sunk to DaveMcG's level of debate, I'll leave it at that.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

DubTony wrote:
    I'm glad Alun relpied to this one. Because, cormie, for a guy with over 33 hundred posts under his belt I'd have thought you'd come up with something better than that nonsense.

What has my post count got to do with anything here? What nonsense are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

DubTony wrote:
    Hey Mike. Is the entertainment value the only good reason this is still open?

I'm surprised it wasn't closed earlier, but it is now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement