Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio based foam insulation

Options
13»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

gman2k wrote: »
    So........ this product has BRE certification - for use in this country! And the consumer can rely on it!

the bre certification doesnt tell us anything we didnt know already...

there already is an IAB cert for one particular product anyway....

what the IAB certand teh BRE cert doesnt tell us, tthe sales person are STILL claiming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

RKQ wrote: »
    I do not think that BRE certify products for use in Ireland! Why would they?:D

Yes they do . The cert expressly states so .

They have a formal presence here

http://www.breireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You live and learn! ;)

British Research Establishment Ireland has an interesting ring to it.

I do hope the French, German, Italian and Polish Certification / Research bodies etc decide to come to Ireland.

Maybe eventually we will have one European body.:rolleyes:

Back on topic - many foam based products have an IAB cert or are in the process of getting one. This is important as it states the product does what "it says on the tin".

NSA do carry out spot checks on installers, to ensure the product is propertly installed, in accordance with its IAB cert.

This part of IAB certification was discussed in detail by my old friend Duncan on "About the House" last night.

In summary I feel it is important to use a certified product. It makes sense.

You live and learn! ;)

British Research Establishment Ireland has an interesting ring to it.

The "B" stands for Building

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

This part of IAB certification was discussed in detail by my old friend Duncan on "About the House" last night.

Off topic but what I thought was particularly amusing about that is Duncan and the NSAI chap were standing infront of a house being externally insulated in a material not covered by the IAB cert for that system. That inspires confidence....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sas wrote: »
    Off topic but what I thought was particularly amusing about that is Duncan and the NSAI chap were standing infront of a house being externally insulated in a material not covered by the IAB cert for that system. That inspires confidence....

:D

oh, the irony....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

sinnerboy wrote: »
    The "B" stands for Building
    True... well spotted:D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    :D

oh, the irony....

irony implies the unexpected ...... ( pedantic sinner :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Can this foam insulation be sprayed directly into a pitched roof area?

My house was built in 1980's with the old type felt being used in the roof. I have seen the IAB Cert for the product but I am still confused as to its use in an older house. Can it be srpayed directly onto this type of felt? Is there breathability issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Toplink wrote: »
    Can this foam insulation be sprayed directly into a pitched roof area?

My house was built in 1980's with the old type felt being used in the roof. I have seen the IAB Cert for the product but I am still confused as to its use in an older house. Can it be srpayed directly onto this type of felt? Is there breathability issues?

No it can only be used on a breathable membrane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

Could anyone give me advice on how best to insulate attic of my new build. Looking at icynene v bio foam v metac and knauf mineral wool. Going round in circles.
    Breathable felt. Not counter battoned. 150 m m rafter depth. I propose to use insulated board also. Attic space will be used as dwelling.
    Huge thanks for any advice.....

Advertisement