Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPA publish hybrid route proposals...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Article, Áine Kerr, Irish Times, 14/06/2006

The RPA, the Railway Procurement Agency has revealed a fourth metro line option, which would incorporate the areas of Croke Park and DCU on the proposed line linking Swords and Dublin airport with St Stephen's Green.

The alternative route, which combines the proposed east and central route, was unveiled by the RPA yesterday so that the public may make informed submissions before the conclusion of the consultation process on June 30th.

Before the start of the public consultation process in February, the RPA had favoured the central route, which would operate via Glasnevin and Botanic Road and service DCU.

An east route, through Drumcondra and Santry, and a west route through Cabra and Finglas, had also been put out to public consultation.

The alternative route that has now emerged would effectively combine the east and central route and involve an underground section from Drumcondra to DCU and provide for a station in Drumcondra, on Griffith Avenue and at DCU.

During the consultations, a proposal to replace the Trinity and Upper O'Connell Street station on the central route with a single Lower O'Connell Street station close to the Luas Red Line also emerged. Surface or underground sections as an alternative to elevated sections were also proposed.

The Metro North is planned to come into service in 2012.

© The Irish Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Sorry. This may be better off included here.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054944107

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Quote:
    Originally Posted by popebenny16
    this heap of garbage.

OI!

Well, come on, if this was real life or death stuff you could understand the passion and the sence of alienation and grievenace with whcih some posters appear to have. It's a railway line for gods sake. It's not like P11 are the Masonic P11 that hide up in the vatican (sorry Brother Marko). I posted earlier on in this here thread (didnt I, couldnt be bothered checking) and ther was reasonable and considered debate about it, a bit of give and take, you know. Now it's just getting thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The RPA run the Metro show, they have chosen to have a very very public consultation for the metro. Many hundreds if not thousands of submissions have been made and numerous formal meetings have been held, some on request by effected parties some at the direct invitation of the RPA. I have been to RPA offices in Parkgate Street by invitation, why because the RPA want to listen to people and to discuss their ideas and to defend their own, its constructive and refreshingly honest.

End of the day a decision will be made which will require a balance between cost, capacity, integration, constructabilty and so on. This is complex stuff and unless you know how the pieces fit together its easy complain about decisions which may appear incorrect. The end result won't satisfy everyone but overall I think we (As in the citizens of Ireland) are going to get a very decent bit of infrastructure. The Metro has evolved and changed and in its current form its starting to look very good

Now O/T
    Platform 11 is a fully democratic organisation, with a written constitution and is a member of the European Passengers Federation which is consulted at a EU level. Myself and my committee members are well known, we are real people and we do exist there is nothing covert many staff stop and talk to us as do many of the managers, we have met a large number of Kildare and Newbridge commuters in person, I'm well known at public inquiries as well and on a regular enough basis I do talk to management and discuss progress on matters. We hold AGM meetings for members in the normal manner, indeed the 2006 AGM is next Saturday and includes a presentation from the RPA, http://www.platform11.org/news/news.php?year=2006&no=12.html (shameless plug but it proves the point)

Once again Metrobest I suggest you post in the conflict of interest thread, everyone else has, put us out of our misery by telling us all for once and for all of any conflicts of interest eg. having worked on public transport project in Dublin or not as the case may be. I've been upfront as many others have been return the compliment. I know Victor and the other mods don't what a repeat of the flamewar that resulted in the past so thats all I'm going to say.

I'm trying to have any flamewar. Not in the slightest.

This is a disscussion board about transport and given that Platform 11 is prominent transport group in Ireland we should be able to voice our opinions on how it conducts its business.

I personally think that the way you run your message boards there with forums hidden from public view comes across as an organisation that's secretive. This I'm sure isn't the case at all; I'm just saying that this is impression it creates, for me at least.

You have indeed changed as an organisation since I first stumbled upon your internet site and posted on your discussion boards. Mostly for the better. And you've always had some interesting contributors on your message board who I don't think post here. Which is a pity.

I wish you all the best for your public meeting and am delighted to hear the RPA will be giving a presentation at it. This is the same RPA you lambasted constantly, complained never answered your letters, accused of cover ups, etc. Now they're your best friends. Terriffic.

Now if you have any other questions about my conflicts of interest - and if I had any I would have posted in the relevent thread - kindly send me a PM and stop trying to create a phoney "battle" where there isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ah your back online...

One more time:

Why are my opinions ungenunie and yours are not. Forget you mentioned P11, why are individuals, who join a lobby group (a group who lobbies) opinions not valid?

• Advertisement

I love this!
    I'm trying to have any flamewar. Not in the slightest.

followed by
    an organisation that's secretive.

This is the same RPA you lambasted constantly, complained never answered your letters, accused of cover ups, etc. Now they're your best friends. Terriffic.

Firstly, you really dont want to see what goes on in the members area - total debauchery at any hour, very noisy at times as well.
    Secondly, i think half of the posters here are members of P11!
    Thirdly, regarding the RPA, IE and the DOT we can only react to what we hear and understand to be the position at any given moment. An example that comes to mind was the worries about blood in St. James Hospital, it was a genuine concern, it was posted about in the P11 board, it was explained, it went away. Same goes for the interconnecor, when first mooted it looked superflious, there were genuine questions as to why the PPT wasnt being used but it transpired that the PPT is not enough, and the Interconnector now is a reality. Also, the initial metro plan is not the same as the "metro plan is flawed" that P11 opposed.
    There is nothing wrong with that, P11 is a broad church, we disagree amoungst outselves just as much as people here do. The stuff in the members board is usually technical and its there to stop the public boards being swamped about UIC60 rail and the like when the general public are more interested in why my DART is stuffed/late/didnt turn up and whys Mallow on the frount when it's going to Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Firstly, you really dont want to see what goes on in the members area - total debauchery at any hour, very noisy at times as well.

Absolutely.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Bill McH

Winters wrote:
    "The south-east inner city remains a primary and growing destination."

DTO: Platform for Change, Page 14.
    The "Trinity" area is a location in the south-east inner city.
    The route of the interconnector has been evaluated numerous times and I believe the current alignment has been chosen with factors such as constructability, catchment coverage, geotechnical, tunnelling restrictions, traffic disruption and trip demand as reasons.
    I'm sure it has been looked at very carefully and all the factors you mention would surely be very important.

The constructability, geotechnical factors and tunnelling restrictions have been nicely dealt with by that chap from the RPA, who seems to have a fairly can-do attitude to tunnelling.

We may yet get a better view of trip demand and catchment coverage with the LUAS link-up.

The traffic disruption would undoubtedly be huge if building under Dame Street. Much more than, say, York Street. On the other hand, would it be more disruptive than the traffic disruption involved in pedestrianising large parts of College Green? And I think (somebody will undoubtedly correct me) that project may even be part of the long term plan for the city.
    St. Stephen's Green North is on higher ground (Dame Street is built where the Liffey walls used to be), work on St. Stephen's Green North would not cause as much traffic disruption as Dame Street, the DTO demand model shows St. Stephen's Green North to be better placed to serve the south-east inner city catchment and tunnelling radii would make it difficult to integrate with Pearse Station AND Dame Street.
    All, I'm sure true (though I might have some reservations about the DTO bit, particularly in the context of the likely extension of the metro in the future). As pointed out above, I'm not suggesting that a more central route would be easy to build. But I hope we will someday learn that the more eggs you break, the tastier the omelette. I'm betting though, that we'll learn this lesson too late.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes Bill, hopefully the Luas link up will give us an idea of trip demand and coverage and it will also be interesting to see which direction will prove more popular in the peak, northbound or southbound. I presume southbound will in the am peak and visa versa.

However the metro north construction could curtail the running of the line during the 4 year metro north construction period 2008 - 2012. Id like to think they could stage the affected parts of both projects to avoid unnecessary disruption to line BX services should it be built at all (No news about it for a while now after the route options were published last November)

Its got nothing to do with breaking eggs Bill. Its about putting the line in the best possible place for the future and the current alignment via St. Stephen's Green is viewed by the experts as the best possible route. St. Stephen's Green is the most suitable location south of the Liffey where proper integration between an east-west line and a north-south line can be provided.

The south inner city would be centred in and around St. Stephen's Green. (http://www.dublin.ie/index.asp?locID=432&docID=-1) Trinity would be classified as being on the north periphery of the south inner city with the Grand Canal bordering the south. Remember indeed that the metro is anticipating 75% commuter use while commuters are the main user of the present DART line at peak hour therefore offices, workplaces are the intended target.

Why do you keep mentioning York Street? The St. Stephen's Green interconnector station will be mined out from under St. Stephen's Green North with the current plan to provide entrances at the ends to both platforms and connection to the metro stop from under Fusilier's Arch.

Who's the RPA guy you are talking about Bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,273 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry. This may be better off included here.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054944107
    We can name it NJ Zealousness Disease after you if you wish. ;)

PBXVI, I am not and never have been a member of P11. :p
    Metrobest wrote:
    I personally think that the way you run your message boards there with forums hidden from public view comes across as an organisation that's secretive.
    There is a difference between good secrets and bad secrets.

On boards.ie the legal discussion board alone has 5 sub-boards and will get more. How many can you see?

Public Gallery
    The Courtroom
    The Puppetmasters
    The Prosecution
    The Defence
    Jury Room

The private Moderators board has at least three sub boards, two of which are private, even against moderators. HMods can't see the Mod board, Mods can't see the CMod/Smod boards. Smods can't see the Admin board. Its not secret as such, its private.
    Bill McH wrote:
    The "Trinity" area is a location in the south-east inner city.
    Depends on definition, but inner city doesn't mean city centre.
    The traffic disruption would undoubtedly be huge if building under Dame Street. Much more than, say, York Street.
    Do you mean for stations? Its quite simply to dirver piles intot he ground over a series of weekends, form a new road slab (eircom, EsatBT, etc.) won't like this :D and then work away underneath, just like several of the Jubilee line stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Metrobest wrote:

This is a disscussion board about transport and given that Platform 11 is prominent transport group in Ireland we should be able to voice our opinions on how it conducts its business.

And they have every right bla bla bla.

If we all asserted all our rights all the time it would be like a world populated exclusively by lawyers, wouldn't that be fun.

P11 have been pretty open about who they are and what their goals are, far more than most pressure groups I can think of.
    Metrobest wrote:
    I personally think that the way you run your message boards there with forums hidden from public view comes across as an organisation that's secretive. This I'm sure isn't the case at all; I'm just saying that this is impression it creates, for me at least.

I can't say I was too impressed when their new messageboard opened and most of it was locked off, after being a fairly regular contributor to the old one it was a bit annoying. They are a membership organisation though and if they want to have a section for members only then that is their business, if you are that desperate to know what is going on then it'll cost you a tenner and 30 seconds on paypal. Not really a great secret organisation if that's all it takes.

Metrobest wrote:
    I wish you all the best for your public meeting and am delighted to hear the RPA will be giving a presentation at it. This is the same RPA you lambasted constantly, complained never answered your letters, accused of cover ups, etc. Now they're your best friends. Terriffic.

They have also credited them when they felt they had made good decisions.

Two legs bad, four legs good eh? You seem to be hardwired into a very black and white view of these issues, believe it or not it is possible to disagree with certain aspects of an organisation while agreeing with others and it is always better to engage with these organisations than to sit on the sidelines slinging mud or cheering like a fanboy.
    Metrobest wrote:
    Now if you have any other questions about my conflicts of interest - and if I had any I would have posted in the relevent thread - kindly send me a PM and stop trying to create a phoney "battle" where there isn't one.

Hold up there. You started this with accusations of impartiality, returning the question is perfectly valid. If you want to question someone else's interests you should be willing to divulge your own.

You have very entrenched views, much of your posts seem to me to be designed to further an agenda rather than have a reasonable discussion about issues, in that context the question is not an unreasonable one.

PBXVI, I am not and never have been a member of P11.

Are you sure? How do you know you're not? It's so secret, you may not even know you're a member......

"If we all asserted all our rights all the time it would be like a world populated exclusively by lawyers, wouldn't that be fun"

Yes, it would, actually!!

Winters, the RPA spokesperson I'm talking about was mentioned on the recent thread about Trinity's concerns about the metro going under the college. The thrust of the RPA argument was that, as we are tunnelling, we can go anywhere. (It was from an Irish Times article about this matter, but I'm afraid I don't know how to link to a single post).

I mention York Street as an example of an East-West street leading to/from St. Stephen's Green. But it appears from what you say that we will most likely be tunnelling under South King Street.
    Winters wrote:
    Its about putting the line in the best possible place for the future and the current alignment via St. Stephen's Green is viewed by the experts as the best possible route. St. Stephen's Green is the most suitable location south of the Liffey where proper integration between an east-west line and a north-south line can be provided.
    St. Stephen's Green would certainly be the easiest location where integration could be provided. And, don't get me wrong, that's not to be sneezed at given that we're only starting off building our underground system. The planners of many other cities have been at that kind of thing for decades.

It has to be said though, that I am somewhat sceptical about these experts, assuming that they include the experts who gave us Transport 21.

I'll give you an example of why I am sceptical. I've already stated that I believe the German model to be a very good one. (In other words, the model where the default option on each train is that it goes through the centre. If you want to go somewhere else, you have to change. This facilitates the largest group of people on each train).

I've also stated on previous threads that I think we should be using the capacity of the 4-tracked Kildare line and the interconnector to create a rapid, direct link between the city centre and Tallaght.

We don't plan to do that. We plan to use an alignment between Tallaght and the Kildare line to build a section of the MetroWest.

Now let's take a place like, say, Clondalkin, through which this line will pass. An entirely new rail destination. The people of Clondalkin might say to themselves, "Great, now we're on the rail network". However, to get to the city centre, they largest group of Clondalkin commuters on each train would have to change. (The people of Adamstown, for example, would not have to change).

It's just an example of why I am sceptical about our experts. And why I believe the German model is essentially a fairer system.
    The south inner city would be centred in and around St. Stephen's Green. (http://www.dublin.ie/index.asp?locID=432&docID=-1) Trinity would be classified as being on the north periphery of the south inner city with the Grand Canal bordering the south.
    Are we trying to build an East-West route through the south inner city, or are we trying to build an East-West route through the city?

If you'll indulge me for a few seconds of complete crayonism:D

To illustrate the point that, if we do things right, the South East city centre could be well served by the metro.

1. Our metro will be a sort of a tram in a tunnel through the city centre. It would be common in many cities to actually have two branches of one line running through the same tunnel. (Frankfurt actually has one such tram/metro line with three branches).

2. There have been suggestions that I have seen to build a metro line from Broadstone to Ranelagh. There is the current suggestion to build the metro from Glasnevin/Drumcondra to St. Stephen's Green.

We might, eventually have both.

So let's say you've got the interconnector running along Dame Street. Stations at College Green and High Street (along with the others). Metro line A goes through the city via O'Connell Street and College Green, to St. Stephen's Green. Metro line B goes through the city from Broadstone to St. Stephen's Green via High Street (interchange point).

Metro lines A and B are then developed gradually over the years. Metro line A (for example) goes out towards Harold's Cross, Kimmage and Walkinstown, via, say, a station at the Bleeding Horse. The possibility would exist to split this line and, as densities increase, to build a branch to Rathmines and Rathgar (and maybe beyond, if it made sense). Most of the building of these lines A1 and A2 could be cut and cover tunnelling along existing roads.

Metro line B is aimed at the existing Sandyford LUAS line. relatively little cost here, as the line is already built. Because of this, money can be used to develop a branch of line B, also by cut and cover tunnelling. This time we'll head towards Donnybrook, which is actually quite far from both the DART and the Sandyford LUAS. Let's put in a simple enough station at the junction of Fitzwilliam Street and Baggot Street and another simple enough station on Burlington Road. Possibly up out of the ground here and along Morehampton Road as a tram to Donnybrook and Belfield.

(The same kind of fantasy would also be happening, concurrently, on the northside, don't forget:D)

In such a scenario, you've got interchanges at High Street, College Green and St. Stephen's Green. One change for everybody to get between any of the metro lines/the interconnector. You've also got four metro stations between St. Stephen's Green and the canal, if you count Burlington Road in there. We might even have more:p

The current densities of the city would not support such a system. It is crayonism at its very worst.:o But I would say it would put everybody in the south east city centre within about a 300 metre walk of a metro station.

Does it illustrate the point?

Bill McH wrote:

Are we trying to build an East-West route through the south inner city, or are we trying to build an East-West route through the city?

Just where is our city centre? Unlike most German cities which have a central square and designated city centre I would say that Dublin has two city centres/shopping regions, north of the Liffey and south. Luas red line serves north, Luas Green currently serves south, DART 1 and Metro serve both and DART 2 serves the south because of the alignment of the incoming lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

short of tunnelling under the Liffey floor I'm not sure how you could avoid "favouring" one side. If it went under the north bank bertie would get it in the neck for even more favouritism to his constituency.

Winters wrote:
    Just where is our city centre? Unlike most German cities which have a central square and designated city centre I would say that Dublin has two city centres/shopping regions, north of the Liffey and south. Luas red line serves north, Luas Green currently serves south, DART 1 and Metro serve both and DART 2 serves the south because of the alignment of the incoming lines.
    There's an interesting thing about, say, Frankfurt (as an example of a German city which would have around about the same daytime population as Dublin. Their central S-Bahn line travels East-West under what would be unquestionably the busiest shopping street (the Zeil), with stations at either end. Neighbouring streets would be pretty important in terms of restaurants and bars, etc. This line also goes through the main train station. From any of these three stations, most of the skyscrapers would be about one stop away on the U-Bahn. (A lot of the skyscrapers would have been built at around the same time as the S-Bahn was completed).

With the relatively poor rail transport which we currently have, there may be a tendency to see the whole thing in terms of commuters, though they are obviously the largest group of rail travellers. However, there is most definitely an advantage to the kind of arrangement described above. It actually makes the S-Bahn very efficient as a people carrier, all day, and not just a pretty efficient means of getting people into and out of the city at rush hour.

I've made the point before about the nature of the catchment area to the South and East of the interconnector line between St. Stephen's Green and Pearse Station, basically the Georgian Area of the south city centre. It pretty much doesn't exist outside of about 20-24 hours in the entire week.

If, for example, my imaginary station (from the previous post) at Baggot Street/Fitzwilliam Street were built, I would expect it to be busy between 7.30 and 10 and then in the Evening rush. In between it would be pretty quiet - who's going there at any other time? And at weekends, would there even be any point in keeping it open?

It would, however, be a very useful station to have within the context of developing our metro line to actually serve Baggot Street, rather than seeing the interconnector as the way to do this simply because it brings people marginally closer to Baggot Street.

I would much prefer to see the interconnector being built such that its realistic catchment between High Street and Pearse is, on one side, the South city centre and, on the other side, the North city centre.

Busy all day, every day.

And, in a sense, a much better way to ensure that there is a very good reason for running 12 trains every hour through the tunnel.

Winters wrote:

Hmmm, Monorails. :D

I'm just wondering how the routes compare to the attached (or the current version).

Another sekrit page number! Can we comply with normal website principals please RPA folks?

http://www.rpa.ie/metro/news/press
    New Options for Metro North

The Railway Procurement Agency has received a huge response to its proposals for selecting the best overall route for Metro North.

Arising from issues raised during the consultation process RPA are now considering a number of additional options:

A combination of the East and Central route involving an underground section from Drumcondra to DCU and an additional station at Griffith Avenue (see map below).

Replacing the Trinity and Upper O’Connell St. stations on the Central Route with a single Lower O’Connell St. station, close to the Luas Red Line.
    Surface or underground sections as an alternative to elevated sections.

Metro North will connect the Fingal County town of Swords to Dublin City centre, serving Dublin Airport and providing an important commuter link for communities and institutions on the north side of Dublin. It is forecast to carry up to 30 million passengers each year. Metro North is scheduled - under the Governments multi-billion Euro Transport 21 Plan - to come into service in 2012.

Rory O’Connor is Metro North Project Director. "We have engaged in really worthwhile public consultation over the last few months", he said today, "and it is heartening to see how the public has engaged with us in this process". All submissions received by Friday, June 30th, 2006 will be considered along with those already received.

June 19 2006

• Advertisement
Advertisement