Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most cash you have ever carried around?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nickcaved

Hmm...probably about 600 euro after a good nights work turning tricks by the docks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bout three fiddy

350k? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Maybe 5-6k a few times.

Edit: just remembered I used to work in a bank where my job was carrying around millions in cash.

/thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not in the same vein, but I counted over 50 euro in change in my pocket after a night out. My gait was almost lopsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

9959 wrote: »
    Raleigh Chopper?

Have a card clicking against the spokes and everything. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Back during the boom i had a tiler over doing a half a days work on the house, he demanded cash payment, i was very nervous carrying the €30,000 over to pay him.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Jayziz! Feeling quite inadequate now with my €1000 reply. Deposit plus one month's rent for a landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

woodoo wrote: »
    Back during the boom i had a tiler over doing a half a days work on the house, he demanded cash payment, i was very nervous carrying the €30,000 over to pay him.

Pfffff... I knew an Electrican/millionaire back then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

woodoo wrote: »

I hope the tiles were made from his teeth

About 20 years ago I carried a wedge of cash about 15cm thick around the streets of Sierra Leone, unfortunately because of hyper inflation it was only worth about 10 USD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

10k loan for a car, put it into my wallet and it wouldn't fold, fun times!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

About 2500 euros. In common with many in here, I did not feel comfortable at all until I got home, fearing I was going to be set on at any moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Used to have deposit 10-15k from a pub into the banks night safe in Tooting London, its was the dodgiest area and i was always bricking it. We always went in two's but there wasn't much comfort since the other guy was more nervous than me.

Would have taken upwards of 100k to the bank for my current job. Would always be during the day and i could normally park within yards of the bank, so never a need to be nervous.

My own money, i don't think i ever had more than about 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

About 50 grand, my friends gave me a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

£4000 buying a car... had to get the train there and back so was a big nervous. That's a lot of money for a student so I would happily have taken a few punches to hold on to it. Thankfully all went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

E30,000 in two money belts. my employer and myself had 15k each but he couldnt hold his beer as well as me so he gave me his before he passed out. fckin lightweight...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

€30,000. My uncle was taken in to hospital suddenly, he lives alone. I went to see him and he asked me to go to a certain location in his house and get a box and mind it for him. I was bricking it for a month until he came home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

€23,000 to buy a car back in the good ol days (still have the car and it better run for the next 20 years!) Took the money from the bank on a Friday to buy the car on Saturday.

Drove home from the bank and parked in my neighbours drive as they were on holidays for 3 weeks and our drive was full. It would be pretty common practise in our estate as parking was limited to say the least. Stayed parked there on my phone for maybe 15 minutes, then went into my own house.

Long story longer about 11pm I'm in bed and I hear the house alarm next door go off. I get up and dressed, woke up a housemate and we go to check it out. The house next door had been broken into. My car was still in their drive. I rang the guards and explained the whole situation. They checked the CCTV at the bank the next day and there was a member of a certain community watching me the entire time. Apparantly he did no banking in the bank and left immediately after me. The guards believed he followed me home. I only live about 4 minute drive from the bank. He's never been caught or identified as far as I'm aware.

Lucky for me I parked in my neighbours drive or god knows what would have happened..unlucky for them they came home from Lanzarote to a broken lock on their patio door, although nothing was taken, the place was turned upside down. I apologised and they were very understanding about it because they used to park in our drive at the weekends if they had guests.

I know people are probably not going to believe that it happened and anyone who knows me will now know my username but I don't care...take it as a word of warning people...bank drafts all the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

my mate used to be involved in some dodgy stuff back in the day..............had me meet a guy while he was away on holidays with 65,000 euros............at the time i had a job in a top 5 irish accountancy firm in ireland and sat for the day with the cash under my desk in a brown paper bag awaiting a call from some dude i had never met. I couldn't believe it when he called me and said "meet me at the gates of stephens green in 10 minutes" (couldn't he have picked a more discreet location??) - anyways about 2 in the afternoon i get the call and scoot up there in my shirt and tie with the paper bag under my arm.........out of nowhere the guy appears, gives me the nod and i hand over the cash, turn around and head back for the office - walking away i hear him drop the bag - i never even looked back............really hope that bag held together for him!!! (note to self - always double bag)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

11k buying a car and bricking it every step of the way even though the bank was only about 10 minutes away.

Left in the house for a day or two and then again on the way to the garage. All I could hear was the James Bond theme playing in my head while I tried my best not to be seen by anyone or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

About €900. I was bricking myself the entire time, kept checking my pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

$1,000,000 in a big case for about ten seconds (not carried persay as it was too heavy but lifted it). This was the mid 90's in the Bureau of Printing and Engraving in Washington DC when you could get your picture taken "holding" a mill. OK you were surround by about 5 or 6 armed guards but still a bit of a rush.

The year afterwards, I heard they stopped doing that and just put it in a perspex display. One of the best places I have visited, fascinating to see wads of money being printed. Unfortunately after 911 no one was allowed in unless you got a congressman or the likes to approve you, but I think that has been reversed and you can just turn up according to their website.

Euro wise, €5,500. Cost me two pairs of underwear due to nervousness carrying it round in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Honestly the most I have ever carried in cash was £400. It was spending money for a weekend in London.

I did buy a car, but paid for it with a bankers draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

About €1600 after waiting 8 weeks for my dole to come through.

They gave me the whole back payment in cash in Neilstown post office and they weren't a bit fcuking discreet about it.

I don't know how I made it out of there alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

About €4,800! Was collecting it one evening from four different bookmakers. Nice to get the money but you want to count it when they hand it over the counter but at the same time you don't want to draw any attention to your 'wad' from other customers in the shop. First thing the next morn my share was in the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Actual cash - €3k after selling my car.

In Cheque form, I had the pleasure of carrying a cheque for just over £11m (sterling) from a courthouse, into a waiting car, and down the road to a HSBC branch to lodge it on behalf of the company I work for.

Took 20 hours of travel in each direction to get to the place, for about 1 hour of actual work collecting and lodging the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Around €30,000. Just carried it up town from the shop I worked in as far as the bank after a Bank Holiday weekend. Wasn't a bit worried either as it wasn't my money. If it had been, well then I'd have been bricking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I do know a man who could have upwards of 300,000 in cash with him sometimes and he outright refuses to use a cash in transit company like G4S

Advertisement