Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting protein in without protein shakes

• 03-11-2014 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I would like to get in 200 grams of protein in each day. How could I do this however with just food?

Google has given me differing reports on the amount of protein in different foods. I know the food sources that you get protein in but I'm wondering about the quantity of protein foods I should be eating.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

All meat and fish is about 20-30% protein
    nuts nd beans about 15-20%
    Cheese is about 20%
    eggs are 15%
    Milk and yoghurt about 3-5%
    some veg is about 1%
    More or less.

So as an estimate if you need 200g of protein you'll eat about 1000g of protein rich food. Just make sure that you have a good amount of protein with each meal, base you meal around the protein first and then add vegetables.3/4 Eggs for breakfast, tins of tuna for lunch 2 chicken breast for dinner and you're at 140 is grams add some nuts, cheese and a yoghurt as snacks nd you'll be at 200g easy.

Now 200g of protein just from food is going to be a lot of calories, the remaining 70-80% of the food is going to be made up of fats carbs and other stuff, most will carry a calorie cost. So unless you are looking to eat a lot of calories a day then you should examine why you're not using shakes.

Protein shakes are a supplement designed to assist in meeting high protein requirements with minimal calorie cost. And since they are a food byproduct (from cheese making) they are more than acceptable to use in addition to a healthy diet.

So, personally, I think unless there is some specific reason to avoid shakes then I would certainly add them to my diet in order to assist with keeping to a set calorie goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Pretty concise advice from thegreatjam there. I'd just add one thing to the conversation... why do you need 200g of protein? That seems like a lot (depending on what research you believe I suppose), even if you are quite big and looking to put on serious muscle or some sort of high intensity training. But then I'd wonder how someone who is already quite big doesn't know how to get protein into their diet already. I only ask because I think it is important that you understand what it is you are getting from protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Won't get a better response than that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Dante79

Have you tried the new steampots from JohnWest.
    I have been eating them the last few weeks usually one or two a day on top of my normal diet as i hate protein shakes- i alway feel ill after them. A full pot is around 24g protein, 400kcal, and really fill you up. Only take 5 mins to make so great if your in a hurry.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If protein shakes make you feel ill try non whey types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Thanks to everybody for their responses. However I would love to know exactly how much protein is in individual foods. The internet gives differing views on the amount of protein in say an egg? I would just love to know that if I eat xy&z in a day I will reach the 200 grams a day target?

I know I' being very demanding but my gyming results don't match how I look and this is down to my diet. I need to put on some size for rugby. I am stronger than a lot of lads but because I'm not eating properly I'm not getting the same results as them

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Check out MyFitnessPal. It's what you should be using if you want to make sure you hit your targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Check out MyFitnessPal. It's what you should be using if you want to make sure you hit your targets.

Thanks a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

you can just look at what foods that you'd eat, and look at the kind of foods listed by thegreatjam in the earlier post, and see what's in what.

Or eat nine ~160g tins of tuna.

Weigh it. Protein content won't change but the measurements will

in "an egg" there may be between 5-10 grams, but 50g of egg will be 6.5 grams of protein. that is because "an egg" is not a standard measurement, use a standard unit of measurement for a while and you'll get better results. not "a breast of chicken" but 150g of chicken breast, iykwim

And there is a forgivable margin of error. for example, you don't need 200g of protein, you "need" between 180 and 220 grams. you don't need to be 100% precise, as long as you are round about 200g then you're good to go

Don't overanalyse it, its not a precise act anyway. Also I do question, as Bacchus did above, why you think you need 200g a day? How did you arrive at this total? What size are you?

common practice is .8g to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. so if you need 200g you'd have to be huge anyway. and even then its just a rule of thumb. if you're around 6 foot at 200lbs (90-95kgs) then you can easily eat 150g a day and make good progress.

also what resources are you using for your information, I've never had any major discrepancy in protein amounts online. maybe you're just misinterpreting the information. Ie cooked weight vs noncooked weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Weigh it. Protein content won't change but the measurements will

in "an egg" there may be between 5-10 grams, but 50g of egg will be 6.5 grams of protein. that is because "an egg" is not a standard measurement, use a standard unit of measurement for a while and you'll get better results. not "a breast of chicken" but 150g of chicken breast, iykwim

And there is a forgivable margin of error. for example, you don't need 200g of protein, you "need" between 180 and 220 grams. you don't need to be 100% precise, as long as you are round about 200g then you're good to go

Don't overanalyse it, its not a precise act anyway. Also I do question, as Bacchus did above, why you think you need 200g a day? How did you arrive at this total? What size are you?

common practice is .8g to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. so if you need 200g you'd have to be huge anyway. and even then its just a rule of thumb. if you're around 6 foot at 200lbs (90-95kgs) then you can easily eat 150g a day and make good progress.

also what resources are you using for your information, I've never had any major discrepancy in protein amounts online. maybe you're just misinterpreting the information. Ie cooked weight vs noncooked weight.

Anything over .8grams per lb is overkill. Even .8 is overkill tbh, no benefits over .64 have been recorded unless you have ridiculously high anabolic hormone levels - i.e. on ze juice.

Anything over .8grams per lb is overkill. Even .8 is overkill tbh, no benefits over .64 have been recorded unless you have ridiculously high anabolic hormone levels - i.e. on ze juice.

kind of my point tbh. the rule of thumb of 1g per lb is high and you can certainly get the results with a lot less.

The study I read last year was .8 for Olympic athletes in intense training. so unless you train like them then there isn't a need to worry too much, and if you are training like them then your team of coaches will tell you what to eat.

Advertisement