Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome out of storage today :)

Options
  • 31-03-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Just took my MH out of storage today. It's been 2 years since it was in action. A quick check around sees I need a new leisure battery and tyres have hairline cracks in the sidewalls. there is some mould on the front seats and steering and dash but apart from a few cobwebs all seems good..

Anyway few questions. I need a new leisure battery. Was considering this one from halfords as they are close.. opinions?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/camping-caravanning/caravanning/halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah

Although thread looks good I'm going to change the tyres. they are 215/75 R16 C. Anywhere for good tyre deals in Kildare/Dublin/Leinster area?

Also need to get it insured and tax and doe... I was using Dolmen for the insurance.. are they still good?

thanks for help

Comments

Haha, first things I thought when I saw the title was tyres and batteries. Nah, wouldn't go near Halfords for a battery that one has a CCA rating..it's a starter battery with a caravan sticker on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Haha, first things I thought when I saw the title was tyres and batteries. Nah, wouldn't go near Halfords for a battery that one has a CCA rating..it's a starter battery with a caravan sticker on it.

I'm replacing 3 Leisure Batteries with 1 under the passenger seat for now until I get funds together to replace the others.. I've disconnected the others for now.
    Any recommendations? What am I looking for in a battery? rating etc..

100Ah Ask Niloc how his are working out. :)

200Ah+ (2x T105)

Prices aren't listed on that website, here's the quote I got off them last year.
    T105= €165.00 incl VAT each
    T125= €220.00 incl VAT each
    T145= €240.00 incl VAT each

Much cheaper in the UK

Macspower wrote: »
    Any recommendations? What am I looking for in a battery? rating etc..

• Weight. ~25kg per 100Ah (@12V)
    • Datasheet with charge recommendations and cycle life versus DOD (not that it's necessary but demonstrates a level of product development you won't find off the likes of Numax.)
    • Genuine deep cycle.
    • Specific gravity 1.275 per cell.
    • Open lead acid if you don't mind the hydrogen and maintenance, want the performance and have a charger that'll go to 14.7V.
    • Sealed if charger max. setting 14.4v and you have a lot of hook-up time, down-time and low maintenance.
    • Anything with a CCA, MCA, or starting current rating is not a deep cycle it's a starter battery.
    • Life is a lot easier if all batteries on board are the same type..ie. all sealed or all open.

AGM & GEL aren't worth it imho you're just paying twice the price for a fancy electrolyte that is very finicky about it's charge requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I only use Numax, and they just seeM to work perfectly

I'm still sitting on the fence on the start/stop battery technology.

Biggest problem I have with Bosch batteries is they haven't published any of their lab results. I've no idea where that article got it's figures "4 times the deep cycling capability" "greater charge acceptance" etc. I'd love to see them.

I've even emailed Bosch asking for them and there was no reply.
    No cycle life versus DOD, no charge efficiency exponent, only rated to c20, just slick brochures with vague claims and a high pricepoint. Pretty bloomin hard find a charge setpoint for them too. (14.4v)

So many things wrong with that article, where to begin...

Bosch's own documentation contradicts itself.

We have found the Bosch S5 has a resting voltage of around 13.1v

As have I on many a generic battery.
    Bosch wrote:
    A battery in a good state of charge will usually
    have a load-free voltage >12.6V.

The same web page also documents the technology that contains the gas normally given off ensuring it remains inside the battery, making it 100% maintenance free and Gas tight.

Bosch wrote:
    Always charge the battery according to the amount of charge needed. Prolonged charging times, especially with a constant current, could cause the battery to become overcharged, causing an unnecessary loss of water in the process.

However, if you expect any battery to last 5 years in a Motorhome environment, which is probably one of the toughest there is for a battery,

Jaysus get over yerself. Battery used 6 months a year, 3 days a week 5 years...sound familiar, or maybe high?
    That's 130 cycles...what's the average battery rated to? ~ 1000 cycles
    We have not seen a Battery tester yet that measures how hard a battery is to charge....

Charged power - discharged power!
    Ah counter.

...and the load it places on a charger unit.

Ammeter!

3000W inverter!!! I know people with 2 tons of lead and the same size inverter. Talk about using a hammer to turn a screw. If a 90Ah S5 powered that thing at full load how long would it last to 50% DOD?
    5 minutes!
    Headlights, etc may all continue to operate discharging the battery considerably before the engine restarts. The car Alternator then applies a big charge into the battery
    Bosch wrote:
    the initial current applied to the battery should be limited to 25A

Charles Sterling never claimed the B2B charger was good for batteries, in fact he advises using cheap flooded batteries that can take the abuse. The B2B charger does what it does very well and has selectable (and programmable) tenacity; one doesn't buy a V12 when one wants a Nissan Micra.

They probably are great hybrids.
    Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I only use Numax, and they just seem to work perfectly

Have you ever seen a data-sheet off them for a battery or a charger though?

No, but I fit about 50 a year and send back maybe 1 of those on warranty. To all ages and make of MH. Couldn't care less what the numbers say, I'm just going on experience and results.

Well that certainly counts.

From my point of view if I have two battery candidates to choose from and one has a R&D department that tells you what you are buying and the other says suitable for vans I'd go for the former.

EDIT: Sorry Aidan it was a bad example, if I said Exide instead would you agree? Point is how can you tell the difference between Exide, Numax and brand X if you're not a mechanic.

Because I buy from a reputable Irish supplier. Every one used tell me Elecsol were the doggies danglies, and I nearly lost a couple of customers over alleged drains and charging problems on campers they'd fitted these magic, and "better value" batteries from the UK.... Amazing the way the problems disappeared when I convinced them to try one of my ones.
    We had woeful problems with Exide, but they were dry batteries which alternators seem to fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi guys, our MH has one of these fitted. We only bought it last year so know nothing about its age etc, but it doesn't seem to keep two interior lights going for more than 90 minutes. 12v filament bulbs.
    Is it junk, worn out, or just not suitable?
    Its in a Ducato Auto-Roller -5

Cheers, Nec.,

http://www.jrleisure.co.uk/diamond-xl85-leisure-battery/p373

Elecsol are the reason I have such a problem with schlick brochures and unsubstantiated claims from battery& charger manufacturers.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    ...it doesn't seem to keep two interior lights going for more than 90 minutes. 12v filament bulbs.

My batteries last 3 weeks. whistling.gif

Answers that question anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

For what it's worth I've just replaced my 4 or 5 year old halford's 70AH leisure battery with a new one from them. Been having problems with the engine battery charging and when the guy tested the alternator and both batteries it looked like the leisure battery is dead, considering the abuse I've given it I'm not surprised. They give a two year warranty and will stand over it because they were happy to replace my engine battery (also from halfords) if I wanted. You could spend hours checking prices on line, waiting for it to arrive or just go and buy one, at that price I'd be on my way to the shop. If it fails with in two years just bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi guys, our MH has one of these fitted. We only bought it last year so know nothing about its age etc, but it doesn't seem to keep two interior lights going for more than 90 minutes. 12v filament bulbs.
    Its in a Ducato Auto-Roller -5

Cheers, Nec.,

http://www.jrleisure.co.uk/diamond-xl85-leisure-battery/p373

Those should only be 10w/20w each so you should easily get 12 hours without taxing your battery.

Usual explanations:
    Fridge on 12V or other load inadvertently left on.
    Battery was left flat over the winter and is now scrap.
    Battery not being charged long enough on hookup (Driving around for a couple of hourse isn't enough to charge the battery).
    Charger / control panel issue.

Also despite some people selling it as 85Ah the capacity @20h is 60ah which is pretty weedy. I would guess its a relabelled starter battery.

The last owner (or perhaps the one before that) had added a Wareco Perfect Power PP300 inverter to the leisure battery. Seldom use it, perhaps it causes a drain of some sort also?

http://www.best-buys.co.uk/waeco-perfect-power-pp300-inverter-300w.html

That's a tidy enough MSW, if use that to run your fridge instead of 12V you might save yer alternator some work on a longhaul.

200mA idle = 3W if you leave it turned on and doing nothing; so 5 days to 50% DOD.
    It it's off then it shouldn't use anything.
    wrote:
    • Continuous power: 300W (30 mins)
    :confused:

OK, thanks, Sir L. Probably no need to disconnect it so.
    Will look for a new battery.
    There is a guy up our way used to sell Schnapp (?) Batteries, made in Israel, and seriously heavy, we used them in diggers etc. Must drop up to him.

no need to disconnect it so.

I find if it's on croc clips there's a bittov krudd develops from the electrolysis between dissimilar metals on the terminals.
    Easy enough clean with a wire wheel. That's the only issue I find...should be hard wired anyways imho.
    There is a guy up our way used to sell Schnapp (?) Batteries, made in Israel, and seriously heavy, we used them in diggers etc.

Silver calcium
    like them Bosch's. Electric mini-diggers or big diesels?

I find if it's on croc clips there's a bittov krudd develops from the electrolysis between dissimilar metals on the terminals.
    Easy enough clean with a wire wheel. That's the only issue I find...should be hard wired anyways imho.

Silver calcium
    like them Bosch's. Electric mini-diggers or big diesels?

663 or 664 type if I remember. I think they were a little taller than most .
    Used in a 3cx etc. Must have been 30 or 40 kg.

He made a point of the fact that the Israeli Army used nothing else in their vehicles.....or so he said.

The guy selling them also builds batteries into new, old stock rubber cases, can put a 12 volt internals into one of the old cases with the bars across the top. Sells a lot to the vintage tractor guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Anyway few questions. I need a new leisure battery. Was considering this one from halfords as they are close.. opinions?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/camping-caravanning/caravanning/halfords-leisure-battery-115-ah

I think they're a pretty good battery for the money. The one in the image is this one with different stickers I believe http://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/leisure-marine-garden/leisure-batteries/l35-115-l35-115.html

Make sure if you buy one, that you get the Yuasa. I got one last year, got it home and noticed it wasn't the battery on the picture or didn't match the weight. Halfords claimed 29kg at the time, weighed it at home and it was weighing in around 21kg!!
    There were a few other cosmetic differences too. Got on to customer services, bit of back and forth, they expained that they had some supply issues and had dispatched replacment batteries to stores, claimed they would perform the same regardless of weight. I didn't think this was acceptable and ended up getting to hold onto the inferior battery and have a brand new halfords branded Yuasa shipped out to me.
    Fairly decent customer service in the end, just be aware!

Moomat wrote: »
    I think they're a pretty good battery for the money. The one in the image is this one with different stickers I believe http://www.yuasa.co.uk/batteries/leisure-marine-garden/leisure-batteries/l35-115-l35-115.html

Make sure if you buy one, that you get the Yuasa. I got one last year, got it home and noticed it wasn't the battery on the picture or didn't match the weight. Halfords claimed 29kg at the time, weighed it at home and it was weighing in around 21kg!!
    There were a few other cosmetic differences too. Got on to customer services, bit of back and forth, they expained that they had some supply issues and had dispatched replacment batteries to stores, claimed they would perform the same regardless of weight. I didn't think this was acceptable and ended up getting to hold onto the inferior battery and have a brand new halfords branded Yuasa shipped out to me.
    Fairly decent customer service in the end, just be aware!

The old halfords 29kg leisure battery was Varta I think with a low cca rating suggesting thick plates. The yuasa one now is 25.4kg 750cca interestingly an old catalogue here suggests the same model number was 29.1kg in 2009 and the marine 100a battery has shed 3.2kg in the same period .. the amazing shrinking battery trick.

Yuasa Warranty Exclusions:

"Caravans"
    "Deep cycling"

Yuasa LeisureLine series:
    Typically each Leisureline battery will cycle to 50% charge and back, 120 times.

...not a good sign. Their UPS batteries are far more respectable.

I've been having evil thoughts. Water yer batteries before you scrap them or if yer making a warranty claim spread the electrolyte from 1 cell into 5 and fill the empty cell with de-ionised..hey presto manufacturing fault...dead cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The guys in the shop won't care they will just test the battery and if it's any way weak they will replace it.

The guys in the shop won't care they will just test the battery and if it's any way weak they will replace it.

Maybe in big chains thats definitely not the way around here if in doubt the give you a loaner and wait for the supplier to confirm manufacturing defect.
    I've been having evil thoughts. Water yer batteries before you scrap them or if yer making a warranty claim spread the electrolyte from 1 cell into 5 and fill the empty cell with de-ionised..hey presto manufacturing fault...dead cell!

V0ratLTaRFCzQfTReuxW_stop_this_its_silly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Apologies for piggy-backing on this but I'm in a similar (and possibly slight more complicated) position.

My motorhome is built on a 2008 Ford transit chassis. It has been fitted from new with three batteries: two Ford silver calcium 60Ah in the driver seat base and an additional "Freedom" brand 60Ah unit in the passenger seat base.

The Ford batteries appear to be wired in parallel, though I believe that there is some Ford standard trickery that uses one battery for cranking and the other to provide accessory / leisure power.

The engine refused to turn over after the winter so cue much swearing and dismantling of cab seats & swivels to get at the batteries. One of the Ford batteries is showing ~12.4V and the other two are at ~ 3 - 4V, so I reckon 2 - if not 3 - batteries need replacing.

Can anyone advise if the batteries must be replaced with silver calcium items? I believe that the silver calciums are recharged at 14.8V and this may reduce the lifespan of the replacements.

I've been offered a Banner AGM battery at a not-unreasonable price. While I appreciate that there's not much love for them around here, the sheer buggeration factor of taking out the seats to check / maintain the battery makes a lower maintenance unit attractive. However, I think that the higher silver calcium charging voltage may cause problems for an AGM.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Apologies for piggy-backing on this

I just feel sorry for the tyres. :P
    Anywhere for good tyre deals in Kildare/Dublin/Leinster area?

The Ford batteries appear to be wired in parallel, though I believe that there is some Ford standard trickery that uses one battery for cranking and the other to provide accessory / leisure power.

Engine starter battery (starter battery), auto-electrics battery (starter/deep cycle d'nay matter) and leisure battery (deep cycle).
    The engine refused to turn over after the winter so cue much swearing and dismantling of cab seats & swivels to get at the batteries. One of the Ford batteries is showing ~12.4V and the other two are at ~ 3 - 4V, so I reckon 2 - if not 3 - batteries need replacing.

2 need replacing, the one @ 12.4v might last another year.
    Can anyone advise if the batteries must be replaced with silver calcium items? I believe that the silver calciums are recharged at 14.8V and this may reduce the lifespan of the replacements.

If it's a sealed silver calcium 14.4v usually.
    Not necessary go silver calcium unless you want to.
    14.8V is my favourite charge threshold (for solar PV and camper alternators...14.7V temp compensated for mains chargers). It doesn't reduce the lifespan of a battery at all, quite the opposite. It performs a weak equalisation, charges quickly and more thoroughly.
    Sitting idle discharging, undercharging and failing to monitor the electrolyte levels is what reduces lifespan amongst other reasons.
    14.8V will gas a little, so maybe it's worth venting a battery compartment, you do have to keep an eye on the water levels. Having said that I've watered my deep cycles twice in the last year what were set to charge at 14.8V and they're overfilled now so once would have been enough.

Best check your alternator charging voltages at the battery post to verify the charging voltages. I seriously doubt you're getting 14.8V at all 3 batteries. Least then you know what you are dealing with.
    You'll need serviceable batteries for this test though, those dodos will give you low readings and might be dangerous to charge.

I've been offered a Banner AGM battery at a not-unreasonable price. While I appreciate that there's not much love for them around here,

tehehe I think it's just me that slates them...around here. If they were less than the price of a wet cell I'd consider it. They're great for aeroplanes when you want to loop-de-loop can't see a good reason to spend that kindov wedge on camper kit.

I tend to agree with Sterling.

the sheer buggeration factor of taking out the seats to check / maintain the battery makes a lower maintenance unit attractive.

haha I know the feeling, I only discovered by accident that I could remove the bum cushion from the passenger side the day I swapped the seat for a single you couldn't. :rolleyes:

Low maintenance batteries doesn't mean a whole lot. It's just a pressure valve that encourages recombination. They won't last as long as maintained and if you were to charge an open cell at maintenance free charge set-points it'd do the exact same job.

However, I think that the higher silver calcium charging voltage may cause problems for an AGM.

Most of them have a charge termination voltage of 14.7v temp. compensated. Banner say 14.8V. Best check your manufacturer guidelines.

Your mains charger ought to have a specific AGM setting though, I believe they have different bulk and absorption requirements to traditional wet cells.
    Gels are much more sensitive.

Oops :D
    Had a look about, wondering if there was a guide to upgrading a dual engine battery setup to a single battery. Turns out the ford charging system does require silver calcium batts be fitted as replacement for the originals.
    wrote:
    The system can produce up to 18 volts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Oops :D
    Had a look about, wondering if their was a guide to upgrading a dual engine battery setup to a single battery. Turns out the ford charging system does require silver calcium batts be fitted as replacement for the originals.

Oh well. The peculiar thing is that the factory-fit charger in the motorhome has a maximum output of 14.7V, according to the nameplate.

Advertisement