Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay higher income tax?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Income tax?! I'm a multi-millionaire business man, suckers!
    I would gladly pay extra tax on one condition.
    A "misrepresentation of the state act" which makes politicians and civil servants subject to a charge of treason for any corruption or other abuse of power.
    Once half of the lying scum are serving long terms in prison the rest will get in line or go back to private enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

No
    I'd gladly pay higher tax for better services like roads & hospitals.
    I'd also like to see a wider range of tax brackets
    in Oz there are 5, and I think it is very fair
    (in euro terms)
    0% (0-3.6k), 15% (3.6 - 20.4), 30% (20.4 - 50k), 40% (50k-108), 45% (108k+)

Personally I think this is much fairer than Ireland, as the 45% bracket is for the big earners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I would have no objection paying more to get more. Health service etc.
    The health service is already squandering gigantic sums of money, tax rises won't help. I mean you have consultants agreeing to work longer and more flexible hours last week, in exchange for pay rises coming to a hundred thousand to a quarter of a million a year each. And is that attracting the best global talent to Ireland? My hole it is, you have the same shower of unionised idiots that were riding the horse back in the 70s.
    ixoy wrote: »
    a lot of the rich squirrel their money tax free by investing in car parks, race horses, nursing homes, holiday homes, etc. I imagine though the ultimate gains here are relatively low in the grand scheme of things but it'd certainly go down well with the public.
    Surprisingly enough, in most places the top 10% of earners pay 80% of the taxes in the country.

There is a complex picture emerging of government response the recession, I was reading last week about a group of senior civil servants tried to do an end run around the government by contacting the OECD directly, even going so far as to use phones outside of the office. Their idea was to cut 8000 people from the public sector in short order, paring off the dead wood and those whose jobs no longer have meaning, an idea which I thoroughly agree with.

However they were stymied by the fact that the report was first run through the public sector top brass, without their knowledge, who chopped it down to a worthless and bland document that recommended no particular changes. All their efforts were to no avail.

I had a look at some of the results of the new report, it contains at times outright lies. Its like the Bacon report and benchmarking all over again.

Certain influential groups in the public sector do realise how bad it has gotten, its just that inertia (corruption?) from above seems to have stopped them dead.

I say we vote those worthies into office, rather than just raising a toast to their good health, and see what happens.

Advertisement