Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay higher income tax?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Rumours being floated on TV3 "News" yesterday that income taxes could be raised in the upcoming early budget. Could be lazy journalism, or the gov trying to float an idea early.

Regardless whether it's true or not, what would you be prepared to pay or not; for what reasons; and for how long??

Personally, it would piss me off. I would pay if I genuinely thought it would make a difference but

(a) I could afford it if the FF gov hadn't facilitated the housing bubble
    (b) Don't necessarily believe that higher taxes will make a big difference - reduce public sector and restructure inefficent depts i.e Health
    (c) I don't believe I get value for my tax euro as it stands
    (d) I don't trust the gov to spend it wisely
    (e) Why should I cover Dennis O Brien's tab??
    (f) ......etc......etc......etc.....etc.....

Mods: Would have put this politics or economics but I want to see what "regular" boardies think

Would you pay higher income tax?? 91 votes

Yes
    0%
    Yes, temporarily; for the good of the country
    3%
    thelordofcheeseA Dub in Glasgogixerfixer 3 votes
    Yes, permanently; too pay for better services
    7%
    red_iceCivilServantgustavoJonathanboardsie08giggsy664Itsdacraic 7 votes
    No
    16%
    CreaturehusseyPompey Magnusbrian_irekraggydigitally-yoursewj1978guinnessdrinkerDanGerMusMagicMarkerDanbo!Pride FighterDardaniaLightningBoltamjon 15 votes
    No, can't afford it (honestly!)
    14%
    the_sycosuper_furryRed AlertjimmycrackcormBelfastxabimikemacAardthebmanjahalpinOverhealearlyeveningDfens 13 votes
    No, can afford it but they waste too much already
    21%
    Mossy Monktony 2 toneCalhounJoefacehumanjiNightwishthe drifterDave147testicle#Smokey#milodbeerbaronmilmoJimboRadharc na SleibhteQuazzieSupertechRFHazardcoolpaddyFuturecrook 20 votes
    No, can afford it but not solution our problems
    24%
    lynchieweemcdhamsterboyEoinGlowingWibbsstyerAgamemnonstovelidPrincess Consuela Bananahammockdanindublinspank_infernoarseagonongariteConor108death1234567DrakmordxOxSinéadxOxKriegdresden8 22 votes
    Income tax?! I'm a multi-millionaire business man, suckers!
    12%
    User45701bikoFlutterinBantamFranky Steindotsmankowloondsmythysam34ronnie3585lostinnappiesTrubertq 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I would pay higher income tax in return for a reduction in other indirect taxes such as:

Road tax
    VRT
    Levy on petrol & diesel
    Levy on credit cards
    Road tolls
    VAT on "luxury" goods - toilet roll & tampons a luxury??? Pur-lease

But we all know that that is never going to happen, so no, I won't be accepting a raise in income tax any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm a regular PAYE worker so I'll have no choice but to pay it and it'll sting like a fvcker at the moment.

Can't say I'd mind it if I thought it'd make a difference to our health/education systems but I know it wil just be used to help further-overpay the public sector in the current pay talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

milmo wrote: »
    Rumours being floated on TV3 "News" yesterday that income taxes could be raised in the upcoming early budget. Could be lazy journalism, or the gov trying to float an idea early.

Regardless whether it's true or not, what would you be prepared to pay or not; for what reasons; and for how long??

Personally, it would piss me off. I would pay if I genuinely think it would make a difference but

(a) I could afford it if the FF gov hadn't facilitated the housing bubble
    (b) Don't necessarily believe that higher taxes will make a big difference - reduce public sector and restructure inefficent depts i.e Health
    (c) I don't believe I get value for my tax euro as it stands
    (e) Why should I cover Dennis O Briens tab??
    (f) ......etc......etc......etc.....etc.....

Mods: Would have put this politics or economics but I want to see what "regular" boardies think

I must have missed the bit where you're not obliged to pay income tax if you disagree with government policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I object to giving our government more money to p1ss down the drain.
    Interesting to see during these "hard" times how many go off on St Paddies junkets next year.
    I would have no objection paying more to get more. Health service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I must have missed the bit where you're not obliged to pay income tax if you disagree with government policies.

At the risk of confusing other pedants I should clarify by stressing that I am all too aware that that PAYE don't have any choice in the matter, but I would like to know if people are "prepared to pay" i.e content to pay more.

As for non-PAYE workers, well that's another can of worms altogether!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I object to giving our government more money to p1ss down the drain.
    Interesting to see during these "hard" times how many go off on St Paddies junkets next year.
    I would have no objection paying more to get more. Health service etc.
    Exactly. I have little or no faith in either the government nor the civil service in this country apportioning any taxes correctly. Their record is largely at the farcical end of the scale at this stage. Watch them up taxes on fuel and then dopily look on while the economy goes even further down the shítter. These same gits awarded themselves a pay rise last week. The same week the dodgy fiscal figures came out and they'll tell the rest of us to tighten our belts when they are the highest paid politicians in the world. Do not make me laugh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I lend the State a few bob here and there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At the risk of confusing other pedants I should clarify by stressing that I am all too aware that that PAYE don't have any choice in the matter, but I would like to know if people are "prepared to pay" i.e content to pay more.

As for non-PAYE workers, well that's another can of worms altogether!!

Who are you calling a worm? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I wouldn't mind if I thought there was going to be some value there but there clearly isn't.

A lot of people doing nothing and a lot of incomptent people in the public service need to go and the government needs to realise that they don't have the right to shed loads of cash and huge expenses each year. Comparing them to private sector CEO's and the like is bullsh*t TBH. They are supposed to be doing it for their country and I don't think we get the brightest people in to be our politicians. If we did then sure pay them a top CEO's wages but since they are mostly incompetent muppets they should be paid accordingly.

Most importantly we have seen fook all for the money they did have so why would we assume this money is going to be put to better use? It'll be p*ssed away just like rest of it while the hospitals still fall apart, the HSE sit on their behinds, the regulators don't regulate, the national broadcaster wants to charge everyone a license fee and then make them buy a set top box to receive the channels, increasing number of toll roads, poor roads elsewhere, massive stealth taxes, massive rip off from retailers and price fixing going on with nobody stepping in, huge increase in cost of energy, poor public transport etc...

Why exactly would we give them money when they've had more than they knew what to do with for the past decade and didn't get a single one of these issues fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No way Jose... for what???

To give those wasters who go on two holidays a year,have 42" plasma Tv's and spend all their dole in the pub,and earn the rest on the black economy????

I think not Sir.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

so now the resession begins, there is less money to pay them fat cats in the government. their solution, sqeeze more money off the tax payers who are already struggeling with paying mortgages and ever increasing bills. Cheek. OVERTHROW them i tells ya:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

brim4brim wrote: »
    the national broadcaster wants to charge everyone a license fee and then make them buy a set top box to receive the channels

OT, but what's this bit about?
    Also, why are they called set-top boxes? You can't put anything on top of a modern TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Bring a 'Super Tax' for the wealthy but don't hit the average worker as things are tight enough as it is.

60% Income Tax on earnings over €100k

Make me sick when I read that the wealthiest people in Ireland pay little or no tax at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In a ideal world, I would have no problem paying higher taxes (and people far richer than me being put on a new super-tax band) to provide for, say, a decent health system.

However, I see no reason why I should provide even more money (after a wasted 15 year revenue bonanza) for the current crowd to flush down a rat-hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If I honestly and truely believed that paying a higher income tax would benefit the country I'd say absolutely 'Yes' go for it.

But I just can not for the life of me believe politicans and their bullsh*t party lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

What do you mean, 'would you'?
    It's not like it's an opt-in sort of thing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

OT, but what's this bit about?
    Also, why are they called set-top boxes? You can't put anything on top of a modern TV.

Well you can call it what you like, it can sit under the tv too. I thought most people would be familiar with that term instead of a digital tv decoder or something like that.

Basically you pay your license fee each year but your going to have to buy a set top box from only Dennis O'Brien (at least so far) to watch RTE in Digital as they are going to switch off the analog service in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

What do you mean, 'would you'?
    It's not like it's an opt-in sort of thing.....

Ref Post #6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I think it is even more worrying that our government thinks that kick starting the housing and construction industry is a bona fide solution :D

Depressing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ref Post #6

gah. Beated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I would be in favour of higher income taxes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If I have to pay more tax I'd rather do it directly through income tax, vat, excise and vrt rather than stealth taxes. Pay by use I don't like but I'd be happy enough with something like one bin free a fortnight and you pay after that, similarily with other metered services.

I really resent paying tax through commercial middle men who get a slice of the pie and thus increase my overall spend.

as for bailing out the govt' for their wasting of public resources , no way !
    health service overspends
    NRA bottomless pit, we need public transport not throwing billions into subsidising more cars that will in turn mean a higher koyoto fine
    the M50 scam
    e voting machines / government jets and numerous waste of ten's of millions

maybe they should help the construction industry, by providing social and affordable housing, BUT at a price of materials + wages + cpo'd land + reasonable % profit , not too high since the aim is not to line pockets like they have done for the last 25 years

when the TD's and ministers tighten their belts and not just as a pr excersise then maybe i'd reconsider

• Registered Users Posts: 33,141 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If they're not going to bother their arse improving public services during an economic boom, they're not goign to do it durin a recession no matter how much money you throw at them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I'd be in favour of paying more income tax if I knew for certain that it would be spent on things like a better health service, more gardaí, etc. and if stealth taxes were reduced. But seeing as we all know that won't happen, balls to more taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

No
    I think it is even more worrying that our government thinks that kick starting the housing and construction industry is a bona fide solution :D

Depressing really.

Yep, FF over relied big time on the construction industry over the last few years. All their eggs in one basket, big mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Do they actually want to go back to the 80s?

Lower taxes! Give me spending power! And everyone else in the country as well i suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

So lets see: during the "boom" years. FF pissed the money away through incompetence and corruption.
    There little friends the developers creamed the profits from the country and did a runner, IBEC (the new irish landlords) pulled out of talks as thier profits would be hit.

In return for piddling tax concessions, people got saddled with huge mortgages as greed took hold.

The infrastructure is still ****e, the health service is still ****e and education is down the tubes.
    Now things have worsened, we are going to be expected to tighten our belts and be penalised and foot the bill.

LOL... do we have an option?

If people are still stupid enough to vote for these assholes then we get what we deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Considering the likes of Belgium and Canada, living in either country you'll whinge about paying 50%-60% in direct income tax, but then again you know your kids will have the best of education and your family will have the best of healthcare.

We Irish need to get out of the mindset that income tax is the be-all and end-all. We pay far more than our European neighbours via indirection taxation such as VAT, Excise duty on fuels plus the usual naughty stuff, Road Tax, 'voluntary' annual donations to our kids' local schools, stamp duty, VRT, bin-charges, 'private' health insurance and the like.

Do the maths and you'll find we actually are paying Belgian/Canadian rates of tax as a proportion of our gross annual income. Yet what are we getting for it?

The FF rhetoric of being the party of low-taxation is basically a smoke and mirror act.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Denis O'Brien & co. should be made pay their tax before the government ask any of the normal decent taxpayers to pay up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not a chance. How about instead they actual manage the funds they currently have? Shocking I know! Making big cuts in the public service for example and introducing pay freeze (every 1% saves them 180m). Bring the many over-paid and underworked civil servants into line (yes it's not all, but there's many there who could easily be done away with - and that comes from years working alongside the public service). Then look at the various quangos, etc that could easily be merged or dissolved as required - completely pointless boards that replicate each others work or do work that nobody needs.

Or how about the various transport projects where money sinks for years into consultations with nothing to show? And let's not forget the Health Service..

Then we can look at high earners - the idea of a third income band rate is good. Also maybe look at removing exemptions - a lot of the rich squirrel their money tax free by investing in car parks, race horses, nursing homes, holiday homes, etc. I imagine though the ultimate gains here are relatively low in the grand scheme of things but it'd certainly go down well with the public.

Advertisement