Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for a half/quarter tonner project

• 06-10-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Looking for a quarter or half tonner in need of some tlc, preferably a quarter tonner, does anyone know of any lying up?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

r27 wrote: »
    Looking for a quarter or half tonner in need of some tlc, preferably a quarter tonner, does anyone know of any lying up?
    Thanks

What kind of project do you want to do? Full irc mods? Tidying up and cleaning a semi derelict one? At this stage of their revivals alot of the good boats that would be competitive have been found and are back sailing. There was a Conrad 760 called Solidarity for sale last year but not sure if its stills around. Some guy in Bray or Greystones had her. There was a bolero over in Howth that had its rig changed but needed a bit of work and sails, I believe shes gone on a holiday to the North but still for sale. You might pick up a production boat somewhere in need of some tlc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Formula 28's seem to be competitive in cruiser 3. Here's one but it doesn't look like it needs much refurb:

http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/formula-28-sailing-yacht-amp-road-trailer/10480301?offset=2

My mate has a half tonner, purchase price is a very very small portion of the overall cost to run one of these boats. Also they're an old design, newer, more modern hull shapes probably push a lot less water. Add to that the fact that a lot of these boats had fractional rigs with the inherant risk that that carries, you'd want to really love IOR boats to invest in running one IMO.

Thats not to say that I don't enjoy racing the half tonner:D

Ferris wrote: »
    Formula 28's seem to be competitive in cruiser 3. Here's one but it doesn't look like it needs much refurb:

http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/formula-28-sailing-yacht-amp-road-trailer/10480301?offset=2

My mate has a half tonner, purchase price is a very very small portion of the overall cost to run one of these boats. Also they're an old design, newer, more modern hull shapes probably push a lot less water. Add to that the fact that a lot of these boats had fractional rigs with the inherant risk that that carries, you'd want to really love IOR boats to invest in running one IMO

the 1/2s do well on IRC once they are modified but have their wind limits but they do cost alot to alter & rejig. Similarly the 1/4s are very good in IRC 3 and give those formula 28s a good run for their money and beating at times. The old IOR boats are beautiful and fun to mess around with if your prepared to do the work yourself

The link there said that the production 1/4's are better than the custom ones as thay have cleaner lines and none of the IOR bulges etc. which were used for lower ratings. In that case Boleros, gk24's etc could be a decent shout and the build quality / longevity should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Watch for osmosis with the GK's (or any westerly of that era). Although having said that, no yacht ever sank from osmosis... :D

Also worth considering is the Eygthene 24.

Just had a look on apollo duck there knew Id seen an Eygthene there a while back and its still up

http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=416379

Another possibility for a 1/4 crusier/racer a trapper 300

http://yachts.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=418729

Dick Dasterdlys still up for sale aswell I see

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Eygthene 24s tend to be quite rough, I looked at two that weren't worth the hassle when price was considered. Just beware of that. But great boats if you can find a cared for example. Cruising or racing.

Dick Dastardly has been for sale for many years, what's the catch there I wonder?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Dick Dastardly has been for sale for many years, what's the catch there I wonder?

Id say price is one and her set up another she,s still IOR rigged and has lost the rig before at least once. I know a partnership who were going to look at her 2 years ago till they heard of another 1/2 that had all the work done to it and a pedigree at the same price, no brainer really.

Just had a brain storm and I do know 1 place in Dublin where there is an old (late 1970s) half tonner (Nicholson 30) lying up but could be a mission to get at it and get it out of its current location. I was told its been there since the mid 90s and the rig is a write off and no one knows where the last owner is. However she was a good ISORA boat back in her day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Grand idea, but unless you've at least 100k to waste on it then I wouldn't bother. The amount of money being spent on these (updating them) is beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Major Dad

Driving over the East Link today, I noticed a very sad and abandoned looking quarter tonner on a mooring. No mast and doesn't look like anyone has been near it for a year or two - lots of bird**** etc on the deck. Looks like one of the old Starflash production boats - anyone remember them ? Had a tendency to capsize - remember one capsized in or outside Cork Harbour a long time ago with a tragic loss of life (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

thanks for the messages everyone going to have another look around myself, if i find anything of interest ill post back

Might be worth your while trying to make contact with Dave Cullen (Dublin) whos involved with the 1/2 ton class or Ian Travers (Cork) who was involved with 1/4 ton class they maybe able to help you out or put you in touch with people

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r27

thanks for the advice Neris will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

r27 wrote: »
    Thanks

@r27
    Pm sent

Regards

Advertisement