Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a boat

Options
  • 11-09-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am currently looking for a sailboat. I have no experience sailing but a neighbour is willing to show me the ropes. I live on a lake with water access and am also only a couple of miles from the Atlantic Coast.
    I am interested in buying a pocket cruiser with movability if not trail ability. I have 3 young kids so would like something big enough to get on the water in comfort and safety. Realistically we would not be overnighting but would like something suitable for both lake and sea. A shallow draft is necessary for launching on the lake so I have been looking at lifting keel boats.
    I looked at a macgregor 26x which seemed to fit the bill but would prefer to start on a smaller budget and boat and the macgregor also have many detractors.
    A 19 foot project boat, a caprice, is for sale beside me at a good price but it has a bilge keel with a 2.5' draught. Also I imagine it would not be easy to launch and recover on a trailer. There is a 17' lifting keel skipper not far away but it is quite expensive, 3k +.
    I have also seen this boat advertised http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/sail-boat/10324387 it is a lifting keel but cannot identify what make it is.
    I am not new to boating but have only lake boat/ fishing boat experience.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your looking to sail dont buy a MacGregor, get somthing 18-21 feet thats easily manageable by 1-2 people, somthing like the donedeal ad would be a good starter for a lake and easily launched though i wouldnt be that pushed on going to sea in it unless it was a very nice summers day. may be worth your while looking at a basic sailing course 1st and trying to crew on someone elses boat before you dive in and buy a boat plus you might get a better idea of what you,ll need within a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

whats your email ive 3 for sale il send you details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The boat on done deal looks like it's a half finished project and was given a lick of paint. I'd steer clear of it unless I knew what I was doing also there is on engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Nothing wrong with a MacGregor.
    I had one of the 26c before they got the added roof and the big engine and wheel steering.
    She sailed quite well. I cruised her out of Dublin, to Holyhead & scotland, south of Ireland.
    Handy thing was trail her out of the water, dump the ballastwater, lower the mast and within 30 mins we were on our way to where ever was next. Which usually meant a week or two down on the shannon. Draft wasnt and issue as with centerboard and rudder up, we could motor in very shallow depth.

It might be worth dropping down to one of the many clubs that offer sailing experience days. You might get a feel of what type of boat your looking for... Advantage is that you might be able to try a couple of different boats over the weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I talked to the guy selling that boat. Yes it looks good value. It is a seaworthy design. Shane Acton circumnavigated the world in a Caprice 19 called Shrimpy. What put me off was that it is a bilge keel so launching and recovering with a trailer would be hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sadler32 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a MacGregor.
    I had one of the 26c before they got the added roof and the big engine and wheel steering.
    She sailed quite well. I cruised her out of Dublin, to Holyhead & scotland, south of Ireland.
    Handy thing was trail her out of the water, dump the ballastwater, lower the mast and within 30 mins we were on our way to where ever was next. Which usually meant a week or two down on the shannon. Draft wasnt and issue as with centerboard and rudder up, we could motor in very shallow depth.

It might be worth dropping down to one of the many clubs that offer sailing experience days. You might get a feel of what type of boat your looking for... Advantage is that you might be able to try a couple of different boats over the weeks...

I looked at a macgregor 26x at lough Neagh. Seems like an ideal starter boat and very versatile. They wouldnt be as popular state side if they were rubbish. What put me off was first the price, once sterling was converted was €10k+, more than I want to spend on a first boat. Second the interior is roomy, standing room and separate head, easy to clean but pretty soulless and plasticky. Also even with the shallow draft it is just too much boat to use on my local lake without pissing other water users off.
    I have pulled the trigger on a Dufour T7 in need of some tlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Defunkt

nigelm485 wrote: »
    whats your email ive 3 for sale il send you details

Can you pm me I'm looking for a boat aswell ill send my email on pm. Cheers

Hi Defunkt,
    What type of boat are you looking for??

Hi Defunkt,
    What type of boat are you looking for??

I'm new to boating so looking for something that can sleep 2 and has a motor I'm doin a sailing course aswell but needs to have a motor. Something like a cabin cruiser I guess. Ideally I'd be using it on weekends up the Shannon or on lakes and the odd bit of sea fishing.

• Advertisement

Hi Defunkt,

Thanks for the reply. I have a 32footer for sale, I doubt it would suit your requirements.

Hi Defunkt,

Thanks for the reply. I have a 32footer for sale, I doubt it would suit your requirements.

Thanks anyways. Sure if you hear of anything suitable drop me a line. Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Mcgregor, for all it's obvious faults is also a terrible yacht. I remember "sailing against" one regularly in Dublin Bay on a similarly sized cruising boat (i.e. wide and heavy) and was shocked at how slow the McGregor was and how poorly they went to windward. The owners always had to put the big lump of an outboard down to save face at the end of the evening...

3k will buy a decent little day sailor, but you'd have to double or triple that for a little motorboat.

I'd recommend a Leisure 17 or a Corribee (mk2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tabnabs wrote: »

I'd recommend a Leisure 17

+1 on that, particularly the 17sl, great boat. Fits the requirements, almost all the 17s were bilge keel. Designed for 2 adults with two kids. Safe, dry but not very weatherly, draws 24 inches and easy to launch/recover.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I recently heard of a 21ish footer laid up in a scrapmans yard somewhere in wicklow.. has a mast and sails all bagged up but it's there a few years so they may be rotten. I'll see if I can find out more and post back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't know much about yachts :) but this just seems like a good deal http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/quick-sale-19ft-sailboat/10535931?offset=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

fergal.b wrote: »
    I don't know much about yachts :) but this just seems like a good deal http://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/quick-sale-19ft-sailboat/10535931?offset=5

that can't be right. Its too cheap !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

6541 wrote: »
    that can't be right. Its too cheap !

Have to say I agree! I'd expect to pay that for the engine alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They seem to be fighting over her on Adverts http://www.adverts.ie/boats/quick-sale-19ft-sailboat/8976734#comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Heidi is on the money - that boat is underpriced. Something is wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement