Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weather Thread

Options
  • 09-05-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

So let's keep an eye on the weather, when it looks like it should be good for sailing and when it looks like we won't get out.

The last two Thursdays in Dun Laoghaire were glorious, today I'm anxiously awaiting the 1300 sea forecast update trying to work out whether or not the race will be cancelled.

I don't mind so much if it is, but I'd prefer to know before I get on the train. My bet is it's gonna be called off at 6.30 around the time we're raising the main sail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

lol - I'm at exactly the same thing! Switching from Windguru to the Met Eireann sea area forecast, to the weather feed from the East Pier. All looking very windy, but is it windy enough to cancel??? We've got caught out before, and there is a serious history of no matter what crazy weather there has been or is forecast, around 7pm it just dies in Dublin Bay.

Big gamble not to go out at all!

ETA - what fleet are you in PP? Just being nosey now, but nice to think there's a few of us from this forum out there, I'm sure there's more than us two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

The 31.7s at the moment. Do a little dinghy too, but that's mostly at weekends and not racing in summer.

Well the update's out.
    Wind: Cyclonic variable force 6 to 7, becoming west early tonight and decreasing force 4 to 6.

The DLH readings also seem to be borderline to ok for sailing.

We might get out there yet.

The 31.7s at the moment. Do a little dinghy too, but that's mostly at weekends and not racing in summer.

Well the update's out.

The DLH readings also seem to be borderline to ok for sailing.

We might get out there yet.

Hah! I was on a 31.7 last season. Small world. They're a bit more suited to the conditions tonight than our little C3..... Even though I missed last Thursday (I always seem to miss the beautiful evenings) I'm kinda hoping tonight will be called off..... just call me chicken (or lazy, far too much like hard work when we're on our ear!)

ETA - http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

F4 gusting F7.... very borderline.... if it keeps up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not looking too good for tomorrow either :(

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp

Stheno wrote: »
    Not looking too good for tomorrow either :(

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp

Agreed....

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=242647

I've a feeling could justifiably stay in bed (I'm working till 8am) - but as Race Officer tomorrow I'll have to crawl out of the cot after not nearly enough sleep and make my way out there anyway, only to be told that it's all off :D.

I must be mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Agreed....

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=242647

I've a feeling could justifiably stay in bed (I'm working till 8am) - but as Race Officer tomorrow I'll have to crawl out of the cot after not nearly enough sleep and make my way out there anyway, only to be told that it's all off :D.

I must be mad.

Stupid question, as race officer are you not involved in the decision to cancel?

We are due to start at 13:30 if we have enough crew

Stupid question, as race officer are you not involved in the decision to cancel?

We are due to start at 13:30 if we have enough crew

I am, I phrased that badly - but we have 2 RO's and it'll be decided between us. Which means that I have to be there.

I am, I phrased that badly - but we have 2 RO's and it'll be decided between us. Which means that I have to be there.

You poor soul.

Definitely mad :D

Still looking pretty blustery out there.....

http://www.dlhweather.com/current-details/

All racing in Howth cancelled today :(

• Advertisement

All racing in Howth cancelled today :(
    Was just going to ask :D

As predicted, as I skidded to a halt in front of the club (late) I was met by sailors coming out grumbling that it was all off. My co-RO had made an (fairly predictable) executive decision!

We got a very wet, very windy walk down the pier in instead.

Was just going to ask :D

As predicted, as I skidded to a halt in front of the club (late) I was met by sailors coming out grumbling that it was all off. My co-RO had made an (fairly predictable) executive decision!

We got a very wet, very windy walk down the pier in instead.

Yeah skipper texted at 12 that he wasn't going out given the wind. Then later all racing was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

So glad that I didn't have to get up and go out to the club to find out it was cancelled today after getting a text while I was on the train on thursday

Based on this - http://www.met.ie/forecasts/sea-area.asp
    Forecast for coasts from Malin Head to Howth Head to Carnsore Point and the Irish Sea -
    Wind: Northwest to north force 5 to 7, increasing gale force 8 at times today.
    Weather: Showers spreading south, some heavy.
    Visibility: Good, occasionally moderate in heavy showers.

I'm thinking it'll be cancelled this evening too.

Windguru has it slightly lighter, and the wind readings in DL are F4, consistently gusting F6

Another day to anxiously await the 13:00 update I think.

What are the thoughts on tonight?
    Currently force 5, gusting 7.
    Met Eireann has it peaking at 6 but with a small craft warning in effect, and windguru has it dropping a bit, but it really doesn't look like a pleasant evening for a sail, especially after Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Was looking forward to going out but or skipper is way, you have to be able to handle weather if you want to do longer passages so best get experience.

M2 is showing 17 knots right now.

Headed out alright. Breezy night but very manageable aside from our numerous stuff ups. Frustrating.

No particular desire to do longer passages myself though. Far too prone to seasickness.

We chickened out tonight - 25 gusting 30-odd at 6pm was just too much for us to contemplate. Typically, it calmed down (well, relatively) to what looked like a lovely evening by 8pm.

A shame, as we're on holidays next week so will miss the last Thursday - this was to be our last evening race :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I had a major project early this season and delayed my launch. On each occasion I wanted to launch it was blowing stink. I was away for a chunk of July, then more gales/rain, so in early August I said sod it and did not launch. I could not be ar$ed launching, tuning the rig, etc, then winterizing everything just for a few possible random sails dictated by the whim of the weather. Holiday home neighbour from UK launched his Drascombe for his stay in July- he got out just a couple of times!

Advertisement