Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Tablet in sailing yacht

• 02-05-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭

I've been toying with the idea of getting a dedicated android tablet for the yacht and setting it up at the chart table.
    There's a couple of decent apps I've heard of such as Navionics which will basically enable it to function as a plotter.

Anyone any experience with this?

My main concern is will the tablet be able to receive gps single from the chart table or not. I guess I'll try with my phone next time I'm out. Is it possible to mount a gps sensor externally and have the tablet pick it up inside I wonder?
    Apart from that will need a sturdy mounting bracket and a usb port hooked up to the 12v.
    I'm not worried about 3g as I can simply bring the tablet ashore and use wifi anytime I need to download new charts etc

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What is the power drain compared to a standard chartplotter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would say it's something similar, it would charge from a usb port the same as a smartphone so it would be able to be operated from a 12v cigarette lighter outlet.
    It would also be able to operate off its own battery when the engine is not running.

I would say it's something similar, it would charge from a usb port the same as a smartphone so it would be able to be operated from a 12v cigarette lighter outlet.
    It would also be able to operate off its own battery when the engine is not running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The only problem is reception as you have already noted. But you only need to do this once to get a fix. You could carry it up on deck until it locks on, then bring it back below? It's either that or some kind of external antenna - but I have yet to see a tablet designed to be used like this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a bit of info here on Bluechart Mobile might be worth a look http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,47491,47509#msg-47509

CSIG Charts http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,47519,47580#msg-47580

On the Navionics site it say's only to be used as a reference, although it is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

I use Memory Maps on my tablet (all UK/IRL admiralty charts). Haven't used it for plotting on the water yet, but I'm really impressed from the comfort of my sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Call me a sceptic but are you prepared for when it breaks?

I love new tech on boats but It seems to be ever more replacing the ability to know how to really navigate when all the gadgets die and all you have is a bank of fog, a magnetic compass, and a rough guess as to how fast you are going... :)

Thanks for the advice so far, I've got a fair bit of research to do:
    Got to go out with my phone and see how the gps signal is from the chart table, got to decide which tablet to buy, got look look at what the best way to mount it is and have to sort out wiring up a power connection. I'll post progress here as it is made.
    Steve wrote: »
    Call me a sceptic but are you prepared for when it breaks?

I love new tech on boats but It seems to be ever more replacing the ability to know how to really navigate when all the gadgets die and all you have is a bank of fog, a magnetic compass, and a rough guess as to how fast you are going... :)
    Of course, the tablet will be in addition to the existing set-up which consists of an inboard gps, paper charts and a hand-held gps. It's on my fathers yacht, he's been sailing in Dublin bay for the guts of 60 years!

So just to update:
    We went ahead and purchased a 10" Samsung S3 Tablet and got the Navionics app.
    The app costs approx €30 for 12 months of chart updates for the UK and Ireland, once the subscription expires you can still use the app but can't receive any updates.
    We also got a waterproof case from overboard which is very expensive for what it is but allows us to use the tablet (via it's own battery - approx 4 hrs life using the app) in the cockpit if needed and we also have tablet mounts at the chart table and another just inside the companionway. The tablet can be plugged in at both locations and can be seen from the cockpit when mounted inside the companionway.
    I'm just back from a Poolbeg - Arklow - Kilmore Quay - Crosshaven - Kinsale - Kilmore Quay - Arklow - Poolbeg trip and the tablet and app performed amazingly well. The detail on the charts is very good and includes lots of great information such as contact info for yacht clubs and marinas and it has the tides and everything on it.
    The tablet is great for watching a movie or whatever when you've actually arrived somewhere also.
    Would recommend the approach for anyone considering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you use it with wet hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you use it with wet hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yip

2PkdurM.jpg
    Z3...... it is IP65/68-certified, which is one of the highest ingress protection levels. This means that it will survive a water dip for up to 30 minutes in depths of no more than 1.5 meters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

searay/raymarine thingy mirrors the screen on a tablet

If its in the waterproof case you can, when it's down below, I was using it through damp gloves with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

Any difficulty getting a gps fix (I'm assuming the tablet needs an inbuilt gps?) and also could you comment how easy is it to view the screen when on deck. I find my Samsung smart phone a real pain in any kind of sunlight

No difficulty in getting a fix, in fact it is much quicker than our on board GPS to get a signal. The screen is very easy to see when it's not in the case but it is a bit more difficult if its very sunny and in the case. With brightness all the way up its definitely legible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Simona

Have you had anymore opportunities to use the ipad?
    It would seem that it is an inexpensive alternative to the rip off chart plotters
    I have followed this tread with great interest
    Any updates would be appreciated

I use it almost every weekend so if you have any particular questions, fire away!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I hear there has been an update on the Navionics charts and they are looking very good almost the same as the Garmin charts.

You can see the detail of the maps on their web app, available at:
    http://webapp.navionics.com/#@14&key=%7BrqdI%7Co%7Dd%40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

are you guys relying soley on tablet charts or any other nav aids such as gps & paper charts? just thinking of the vestas incident in the last volvo and their use of electronic charts

As I've already explained:
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    Of course, the tablet will be in addition to the existing set-up which consists of an inboard gps, paper charts and a hand-held gps. It's on my fathers yacht, he's been sailing in Dublin bay for the guts of 60 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Simone
    Thanks for the update and the link
    I have already foolishly due to ignorance on my part; paid out over 200€ on a Lawrence globlemap 300mt and a LCX-18C without cards.
    If there’s anyone that can guide me; as to weather I can buy maps for these instruments' I would be grateful, also a GPS antenna
    As you can see Simone' getting this equipment up and running will cost a few €
    Would I be better off' getting a book of maps, lets say for the Irish coast' and a tablet with built in GPS?
    Any advice would be appreciated

Advertisement