Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit and lifejacket for sailing

Options
  • 07-09-2015 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

marineparts.ie have a great selection of wetsuits and buoyancy aids, with free delivery of orders over 50 Euro. As I'm relatively new to sailing myself, I'm probably not the best to offer advice.

Regarding the swimming, you should really be at a stage where you will not panic in the water. I have been flung from a dingy many times (all part of the learning process they tell me :) ), so you don't technically need to be a strong swimmer, just somebody who can stay calm and think clearly about what to do, or not do, in such a situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Definitely 5mm for winter sailing in Ireland.

As you're a student, it'd be worth contacting the wetsuit wearing clubs - diving and maybe kayaking?
    They often order a bunch of wetsuits every year and typically negotiate a discount for the bulk order.

Failing that adverts.ie etc. often have wetsuits secondhand on sale. They're the sort of thing people buy and then don't use very much so they're often in good condition.

Also worth keeping an eye on Lidl and Aldi who do wetsuits every year. That's where my 5/7 wetsuit came from. Not the best, but definitely functional. Also you'll need wetsuit gloves and decent booties for winter sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

RHJ wrote: »

I sail in a climate that needs nothing more than a t-shirt, shorts and a bounancy aid, so I'm not the right person to ask :cool:. Though any one I have borrowed for sailing in Ireland has been a 5mm and has been quite effective.
    RHJ wrote: »

If you are staying near the coast, and you only sail when there are other boats around, or you will be rescued relatively quickly should the worst happen, then a basic 30-40 Euro bouyancy aid matching your weight would suffice. I got a great Gill one for about 45 Euro on that website that fits a lot better than the cheaper Helly Hanson one I had before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you're going to be doing sailing that involves a wetsuit, you'll need a buoyancy aid.

You can get automatic/manual lifejackets, but every time you go in the drink you'd set it off. They're more suited to keelboats.

A lifejacket with a collar which isn't one of the above would be too bulky IMO for dinghy sailing (apologies if that's not what you're at, but I gather it is from your posts).

Since a buoyancy aid is basically a bit of foam in a cover, you just need to to get one suited to your weight. The rest is just dressing. Viking Marine in DL or Dinghy Supplies in Sutton (if they're re-opened, but I suspect they're not) or there's a chandler's behind the marina in Malahide will all have a selection. Or any chandlers, even online.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Glenalla wrote: »
    That one on donedeal is not suitable for sailing. A friend of mine got one and found the 4 buckles/ straps kept getting tangled / snagged on everything in the dinghy ( like the kicking strap when tacking and gybing ) and found the foam in it uncomfortable and it did not last. You are better off getting a proper make like you would find in a sailing shop or see others sailing with. I got a Gul Garda buoyancy aid from www.sunset.ie and it was delivered to me next day, and it is really comfortable.
    http://sunset.ie/cat/lifejackets__buoyancy_aids

Its side zip and has a flat pocket at the front. Someone I sail with has a Gul rec front zip buoyancy aid and it has a zip down the front, they find it good too. The important thing is to get the size right, if you are 75kg you go for 70-90 kg.

Advertisement