Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

xMallx wrote: »
    We have won the battle but we must also win the war. We will fight every step of the way not just to keep lw252 on air post 2017 but we will fight to force RTE to reinstate full itu licensed power of 500͵000 watts on the channel.

To be honest, 567 MW would be better, but I suppose the mast at Tullamore is dismantled now ??????

RTE also need to roll out DAB/DAB+ across the country (like the BBC have done in the UK) and think about putting something on DAB in the north (even DAB+)

But I suppose all that would cost too much for an organisation that appears to be strapped for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

The bids for the Digital 2 licence (DAB) in the UK are in. Unfortunately Boards still doesn't allow me to post URLs so bear with me on the URL link :

media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/dab-mux-apps/ (place http:// in front)

The non UTV bid has an interesting station in its list : RTÉ Radio 1. Could this be the long term solution to enable closure of 252?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

NorthDown2 wrote: »
    The bids for the Digital 2 licence (DAB) in the UK are in. Unfortunately Boards still doesn't allow me to post URLs so bear with me on the URL link :

http://www.media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/dab-mux-apps/

The non UTV bid has an interesting station in its list : RTÉ Radio 1. Could this be the long term solution to enable closure of 252?

Hopefully this fixes your link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Thanks but there's no www. - it goes directly from the double slash to media.ofcom

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Advertisement

More from A516's blog:

http://www.a516digital.com/2015/01/listen2digital-bids-to-bring-diversity.html

I assume thee transmitter network managed by Babcock will cover NI ?

It would be ironic if RTE Radio 1 were available in mainland UK but not NI.

I assume they are still looking at the local mux in NI ? With Citybeat being bought by the Q Radio network I would think the station will more than likely leave DAB in NI so even more space available on the local mux.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    It would be ironic if RTE Radio 1 were available in mainland UK but not NI.

There's not much of NI its not available on FM in. Rather like the old TG4 analogue transmitter for Belfast, I suspect a single relay would solve that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How low is the power output at the moment? I can hear something behind RTE quite clearly.

L1011 wrote: »
    There's not much of NI its not available on FM in. Rather like the old TG4 analogue transmitter for Belfast, I suspect a single relay would solve that problem.

Yep, possibly. Reception over much of greater Belfast is patchy at best, and non existent over most of Antrim were there are large Nationalist communities.

They could put RTE Radio One on the NI mux, where I gather there is some space. An FM transmitter on Divis would solve a lot of problems.

I suppose it's all down to cost. Would FM be cheaper than a place on the local NI DAB mux ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

SimonMaher wrote: »
    €15,000 per day for 252? It's expensive to run a 300kw LW transmitter but it definitely doesn't cost 5.5 million quid per year! Total cost is just below a million euro a year which would work out at about €2,500 a day running full power.

Youre forgetting the fine tradition at RTE of paying over the odds...........
    Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    They could put RTE Radio One on the NI mux, where I gather there is some space. An FM transmitter on Divis would solve a lot of problems.
    Theres even a readily availabile frequency 89.5 MHz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

Will the new radio station 'Belfast 89FM' http://www.belfast89.com/
    lead to any deterioration of FM availabity of RTE R1 in Northern Ireland?

This new station is going on 89.3, 0.1MHz above RTE R1 from Hollywell hill in Donegal, which gets into areas of Northern Ireland which don't receive Clermont Carn or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

Antenna wrote: »
    Will the new radio station 'Belfast 89FM' http://www.belfast89.com/
    lead to any deterioration of FM availabity of RTE R1 in Northern Ireland?

This new station is going on 89.3, 0.1MHz above RTE R1 from Hollywell hill in Donegal, which gets into areas of Northern Ireland which don't receive Clermont Carn or others.
    Their website seems to suggest they are a "non profit" read "community" read "25 watts" station.

If so it will barely cover the city (where RTE Radio One if available is on 87.8/252)

Hollywell Hill is more for Derry direction ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

In each hearse that goes by there is a long wave
    listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jimceart

Yep 252 with it's annalog sound still packs a good sound throughout the North Atlantic Isles. I imagine though it's days are numbered considering modern cars offer DAD and FM radio equipment mostly excluding AM. Many older ex pats however still do have receivers with LM and I hope they will continue to be catered for going forward as in some cases it is there only means of connecting with home.

Any more ideas for 252 from listeners in England, Scotland or Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

jimceart wrote: »
    Any more ideas for 252 from listeners in England, Scotland or Wales.

As it seems to be regarded as a service for disadvantaged ex pat pensioners then the department of foreign affairs should give RTE a grant for the upkeep of the service, they could even do a daily opt out program especially for that community.

That sounds like a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I'm surprised Long wave hasn't featured in any of the parties manifestos considering all politicians were apparently being inundated with calls about it........

I wouldn't hold up much hope for 252 given that the Fab 208's tower was demolished in recent days.

http://www.tageblatt.lu/digital/foto/story/Ein-Stuck-Radiogeschichte-ist-verschwunden-22197357

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm surprised Long wave hasn't featured in any of the parties manifestos considering all politicians were apparently being inundated with calls about it........

When the media (print in this case) whip up a frenzy about something to generate newsprint it usually dies away quite quickly in the public interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I wouldn't hold up much hope for 252 given that the Fab 208's tower was demolished in recent days.

http://www.tageblatt.lu/digital/foto/story/Ein-Stuck-Radiogeschichte-ist-verschwunden-22197357

Commercial operator and a long standing dispute over the output power were major contributors - 252 is a different scenario (albeit RTE will sight the cost of LW etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

well it would be mainly of concern for listeners in Northern Ireland (in areas with patchy or no RTE FM reception) as well as the Irish in Britain - they do not have a vote in the General Election here.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Commercial operator and a long standing dispute over the output power were major contributors - 252 is a different scenario (albeit RTE will sight the cost of LW etc)

True but it's making it abundently clear that European broadcasters want no part in LW and more and want rid of it. If the biggest and best loved of them all is gone then God be with the minor rigs and set ups as they can't look to the likes of 208 for examples of why LW should be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

There are several boards with stories of "Hot Hits 252"
    One even suggests that "a 6 month test will be 6am -- 18:00 at a power of 100kw"
    Anyone over there know anything about this please or is it a windup?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    One even suggests that "a 6 month test will be 6am -- 18:00 at a power of 100kw"

Regards

it has to be a windup surely. i could not see anyone launching a station, never mind a music station on longwave in europe again.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Possibly a pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Regards

I did a quick check on the internet and I saw some of the references referred to. There are a few schools of thought on this. (a) A complete hoax, (b) a small bedroom broadcast job and (c) a pirate remembering Atlantic 252 but not on that frequency. If it is genuine, it will not be on 252 because of RTE Radio 1 and I would be amazed if it was a Long Wave pirate. For that matter, it is not clear, if genuine, whether this would be a UK-based or Irish-based setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

I presume RTE have abandoned their plan to close long wave as the wind down of the service this year hasn't happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

According to this it has been extended to at least 2017.....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1219/667931-rte-longwave/
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

According to this it has been extended to at least 2017.....
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1219/667931-rte-longwave/
    Regards
    RTÉ Radio 1 LW will operate a full service in 2015, with reduced hours in 2016 before working towards a full shutdown in 2017.

You seem to have missed that bit.

Knowing RTE we probably won't know anything until the last minute.

Advertisement