Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supergirl [CW] - US pace - [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

where did they get all those uniforms from?

Kirby wrote: »
    Hard not to like her. I just hope the writing is decent.

a little too much acting skitzy acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good pilot, i liked it, but their aversion to calling karas cousin superman, or jimmy calling him clark is just kinda annoying, are they just not gonna ever say superman,

its gonna be interesting to see how it plays out, with all the prisoners on the loose and karas aunt coming for her, id love to know how they plan on keeping superman away,

overall a solid looking show, but the lack of superman could lead to a bit of frustration down the road,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,307 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »
    Melissa Benoist is really likeable too. Great energy.

Reminds me of Sophie Lowe in that way, when she was in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mormegil

how can she afford that apartment?
    Helen Slater and Dean Cain
    probably left her a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

don ramo wrote: »
    good pilot, i liked it, but their aversion to calling karas cousin superman, or jimmy calling him clark is just kinda annoying, are they just not gonna ever say superman,

This has always been something WB have been hesitant to allow - even in Smallville we barely got a glimpse of Superman and hardly ever heard the name. This series would be better off quickly forgetting he exists unless they genuinely plan on including him, because it'll be a constant annoyance otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

don ramo wrote: »

Might be a rights issue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

it should be a rights issue from the article below, it is not that important his title or name has to be mentioned since this is supergirl series ;)

Will The ‘Supergirl’ TV Series Crossover With ‘The Flash’ & ‘Arrow’?
    Considering that “Arrow” and “The Flash” have largely been forbidden from referencing Superman or Batman directly (or even mentioning Gotham City or Metropolis),

Mormegil wrote: »
    Helen Slater and Dean Cain
    probably left her a bit of money.

wasn't clear that they were dead

• Advertisement

I really, really enjoyed that. They need to ditch Winn, or rewrite him immediately because he had two lines that were just plain awful - thinking she was a Lesbian and that's why she didn't want to go out with him, and the one about her looking much prettier without glasses. Get rid of those lines and he'd be okay as a character, and the rest of the pilot was super imo. Really impressed with the effects work too, the fights with lizard guy felt really practical rather than CG.

Anyone seen the Kryptonian crest that The General was wearing before? Pretty strongly hinting at Zod with the name, but the whole family thing is new as far as the comic books go afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

I enjoyed it, a few good moments in it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. I managed to watch Smallville from start to finish and that was pretty terrible in places. Hopefully they can avoid that with this.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I really, really enjoyed that. They need to ditch Winn, or rewrite him immediately because he had two lines that were just plain awful - thinking she was a Lesbian and that's why she didn't want to go out with him, and the one about her looking much prettier without glasses. Get rid of those lines and he'd be okay as a character,
    it almost like he was the gay friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not a bad start, hopefully it improves over the length of the series, she is a likeable and good looking supergirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

it almost like he was the gay friend

Funny because when he was on Smash, he also played the straight guy who everyone initally thought was the gay one.
    He's been on broadway a bit and is an excellent singer so that's his personality I think, not overtly straight/camp

I've just realised that he's got the same name as supervillain The Toyman. Maybe they're re-inventing him as an extra angry MRA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

That long ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Peter Facinelli cast as Maxwell Lord

Watched it a few weeks back and found it pretty poor. It looked cheap and the writing was dreadful some of the dialogue and characters felt like they belonged in a mid 90s day time soap. Not sure I'll bother with this as there's so much great stuff on that even the presence of Dean Cain can't entice me

cast interview with tvline, im actually really looking forward to this show, the pilot was much better than i expected, im really hoping it doesnt take a nose dive after the pilot, id say its expensive to make so it would really wanna hit the ground running, as it could be a show that could get cancelled early if it struggles

and the panel from comic con

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

New trailer.

Red Tornado, General Sam Lane and Non (Kryptonian criminal) to appear in show

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/cbs-supergirl-to-feature-red-tornado-general-lane-more

First look at Red Tornado
    107117_d0026.jpg

i must say that look absolutely terrible, whoever designed that should be fired immediately,

11011263_1470458573263890_6056000124827640695_n.jpg?oh=4548f39315824a4f360ae6244e3e7f44&oe=566935BC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Is this on TV here yet?

veganrun wrote: »
    Is this on TV here yet?
    not due to air stateside till october 26th, might start here maybe a week or two later, the pilot is bouncing about the net for a while now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CBS has cast Chris Vance in the recurring role of Non Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

veganrun wrote: »
    Is this on TV here yet?

Starts on Sky 1 on Thursday October 29th at 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Really quite enjoyed that. It's trending #2 on twitter, worldwide, at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Is this the same one that was on a couple of months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

how can she afford that apartment?

Wasn't quite sure but was she sharing the apartment with her sister?

Thought it was fun, though all the "girl power" stuff was quite cringeworthy. Reminded me of the Saturday night live Black Widow sketch:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wasnt a bad start at all. Definitely gonna be a show that takes a little while to find its tone properly so I'll be sticking with it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm not sure it says much about girl power or empowerment. It seems that unlike most Superman stories that she will be working for this military organisation- she was basically being bossed around and given out too by the officer and her sister. Superman, in the films or Smallville tv show, tended to work outside the government or with the military or in certain cases, but definitely not for them.

anything different from the earlier version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I must not be in the target demographic, since I'd had enough after the plane. I thought it was an exercise in "box-ticking", even throwing in some signposted "diversity". I'n in favour of diversity, but it should emerge organically, not feel as forced as this. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Well they do highlight the plane thing as Supes first save too

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    I must not be in the target demographic, since I'd had enough after the plane. I thought it was an exercise in "box-ticking", even throwing in some signposted "diversity". I'n in favour of diversity, but it should emerge organically, not feel as forced as this. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by diversity? Certainly they overplayed a lot of the key themes, but that's exactly what happens in most pilot episodes, especially Arrow and The Flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I mean the way they cast a "Hollywood Black Guy", straight from Central Casting, as the putative "love interest". If the producers had wanted to be genuinely daring in the casting diversity, they could have made Kara black, instead of what appears (to me) to be tokenism. I've seen a few recent shows that fall for similar clichés, so now it stands out like a sore thumb to me. Don't worry about it. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Cliche to have a black cast member? Okay then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I did like the Eye Laser effects.

I think they keep mentioning her cousin as much as possible to win over Superman fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I mean the way they cast a "Hollywood Black Guy", straight from Central Casting, as the putative "love interest". If the producers had wanted to be genuinely daring in the casting diversity, they could have made Kara black, instead of what appears (to me) to be tokenism. I've seen a few recent shows that fall for similar clichés, so now it stands out like a sore thumb to me. Don't worry about it. :o

Didn't feel like tokenism at all for me. I think you're being pretty cynical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thought it was horrible. Boring, derivative, cheap and cheesy. I can't see this lasting very long.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Thought it was horrible. Boring, derivative, cheap and cheesy. I can't see this lasting very long.

Ha, while I disagree with your review of the show, there's plenty of TV shows that are like you describe and extremely popular, so I wouldn't draw any connections about it's longevity just yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But if she was black, her skin wouldn't be able to absorb as much radiation from the yellow sun and she'd only have crappy powers :(

they've already made Sup' a girl, can't stretch it too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I actually thought it was decent and will be definitely tuning in for the next episode they need to tone down the girl power ****e and just let her be the hero she is though,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought Melisssa Benoist did a very good job and came across as endearing. I felt the rest of the show was pretty poor overall.

Very cartoonish two-dimensional villains with a family element thrown in for good measure, which is totally overdone on these types of shows (and it wasn't the only family plot twist on this show); the Jimmy Olsen cameo - and the Superman cameos in general - came across like they weren't confident enough that this could stand on its own two feet; and then you have the geeky guy who loves her, but she's not sure, but oh couldn't they possibly get together at some point...yadda yadda yadda. It's been done.

I reckon with a less than impressive lead this could have really bombed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement