Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Ametyst / Volvo MD2

Options
  • 04-07-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Evening all
    I am currently renovating a 1966 King Ametyst
    And I have to make a decision, as to whether to rebuild, a Volvo MD2 engine, that has not run for nearly a decade. Or to scrap it.
    It was sized initially; no movement what so ever; during the winter’ with some tinkering’ and a belt of a hammer’ she now turns over easily, I tried to start her on a couple of occasions; but no luck;
    To date, I have spent very little money; filters and oil, so far.
    I have stripped and cleaned the injectors; fuel pump; and straitened 3 of the 4 bent push rods;
    I know; that I would get her to fire’ if I put enough effort into it’ but before I start spending some real money’ on parts; witch are like hens teeth’ and just as expensive’ I have to decide weather to scrap it’ and try and source another engine’ or go diesel electric
    The long term plan; I have is to go cruising’ and eventually; maybe’ just maybe’ go around the world’ just a dream I know’ but dreams do come true.
    So the question I am asking it
    Try and rebuild
    Try and source an other engine
    Or source a DC motor solar panels and a wind turbine and a batterie bank

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If the engine has good compression I would stick with it or maybe get it rebuilt by someone like http://howardengineering.ie/ it will be as good as new and you won't have to change any of your running gear or engine mountings Plus they are a nice looking engine when cleaned up :)

If I was going around the world I would like to have a brand new engine :D

I don't think we are at a viable stage of efficient DC motors and battery charging yet maybe a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

Personally, I'd get another engine. Volvo parts are expensive, the dynastarter isn't great and something like a little yanmar will be smoother running, cheaper for parts and I'd have more faith in it. But then, we put a petter mini twin in our boat and I wouldn't recommend one of those either lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Although opposite, good logic in above posts.

I'm only a sailor but my 2cents: I see engines in masted boats primarily as safety equipment. Your boat has a far more reliable propulsion system on board for most situations (sails) so your engine will see little service (i.e. only when you need it!)

My late dad was a gifted mechanic and always tried to repair rather than replace but, sorry Fergal, I can still hear him saying "yes, the compression was good (when we tested it) but the long idleness of this (his buddy's wrecked Volvo) engine allowed the steel worm squaters in, set up house, have kids who eventually moved into more and more critical places on the engine, damaged the neighbourhood and eventually the block!"

He wasn't a great Volvo fan (don't know why) but, God, he loved Yanmars and Buhks! Fitting a new engine can be complex - I assisted with a few - but you have great access to the nooks and crannies now and it might be safer than relying on a hook while waiting for a breeze to get you home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The key factor to include in any decision – Copper says he is going to be doing a lot of single handed stuff, so a reliable engine is a necessity. I'm a sail person, never had an issue sailing onto /off moorings in a crowded situation with my regular crew, but now, single handed, I will always motor onto moorings. An engine that has been plucked from the grave and fixed with a hammer would not instil confidence on the approach to a strange anchorage. The thought of three bent pushrods that have been straightened frankly scares me. What caused them to bend? Has that been fixed? What about fatigue? Any marks on the piston tops? What if a spring has been weakened, and in the future it breaks and causes a valve to drop?

Unless it could – economically - be fully restored, (including NEW pushrods) I’d go for a replacement. But restoring it with some new parts, hoses, reconned alternator, starter motor, you could end up with a gem. I’ve no idea of costs/economic values.

Years ago my uncle had a Volvo (MD19) and loved it; I once had a Yanmar that drove forward into a Vee drive that frankly I did not like the thought of but it always worked well, never had a mechanical problem and never let us down (provided the correct shutting down procedure was followed.) Never got the best out of it though, because we had a folding prop.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    You’d be surprised what a good belt of a hammer can fix:D
    All your comments are welcome
    I would have no problem rebuilding the engine;
    It’s parts’ and the availability ‘that concerns me’ they are getting scarcer’ by the year’ and more expensive’
    Benzene; your right’ she’s built for sail’ from what I have seen over the last year or so; watching yachts’ move from there moorings .
    They only use the motor; until they can hoist sail; half an hour or so; the rest of the time it’s taking up space.
    As for a replacement’ there are plenty of small motors’ out there’ from diesel lawn mowers’ to forklifts’
    15 to 20hp diesel engines’ are not scarce’ it’s getting a gearbox’ that might be the problem .
    However; a dc motor; will last for years’ no maintenance’ batteries are getting cheaper and better durability
    Pedrobar1; A reliable engine in a necessity; you hit the nail on the head
    At a glance’
    I would be able to determine’ the range available to me with a dc motor’ and a battery bank;
    Also availably’ would be the generator’ to extend this range indefinitely.
    While moored’ the solar’ and would turbine’ would charge the batteries; to me it seems the way to go;
    While I have the chance’ to fit a modern system’ that will last; you have the experience’ and knowledge’
    To let me know if it’s feasible to go the dc motor way ‘
    Thanks for your comments knowledge gained is never wasted

• Advertisement

Anyone out there know where I might come across a DC motor
    New second hand any idea’s where to look

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

copper12 wrote: »
    Anyone out there know where I might come across a DC motor
    New second hand any idea’s where to look

Are you thinking of using your own prop shaft as I'd say you will need a very high torque motor to turn it something like a golf cart might work but you will also have to have to cool it down some of the guy's on Glen-L use raw water and wrap the motors in copper pipe.

thanks fergal for the link theres a lot of information there

Jasus lads I’m in two minds on what to do
    I’m still leaning towards the option of going diesel electric
    A good second hand marine engine; would set me back two grand
    I have been exploring the option’ of fitting an ordinary engine’ yammer or a Kubota
    15 to 20 hp’ but even they’ are scarce seemingly’ Atkins buy everything up’ recondition it’ and refit them in Minnie diggers’ lawnmowers’ and small tractors
    There are however’ some small tree cylinder yammer engines’ out there’ about 15 hp; used to run the air-conditioning’ in refrigerated trucks’ I will have another look at them
    I would have to fit them with sealed water system though

So I’m looking at
    10kw AC three faze motor
    Gen 4 motor controller or something similar
    Batteries bank size to be worked out
    Solar panels possible 2 to 400 hundreds watts
    Small wind turbine
    Diesel generator 20 or 30 amps output ?
    Solar wind turbine and batteries I intended to fit anyway

Advertisement