Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water pumping problem

Options
  • 19-07-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

i have this selva 20hp 2 stroke outboard that has a water pumping problem, no water seems to be pumped into the head.
    so i took off the lover shaft to take a look at the impeller, the impeller was badly damaged, so i replaced it with a new one. checked to see if the line was blocked before attaching the lower shaft and its free, blew air up and air came out of the pee hole. also has excellent compression.
    so i attached the lower unit back, and still no water been pumped.
    so i took off the lower unit again and put a drill on the shaft to spin the shaft to see if water was been pumped into the impeller housing and out the housing unit hole. no water been pumped into the housing at all.
    the channel from the housing to the water intake is clear, when putting on the impeller placed it in with the key attached to keep it locked to the shaft, put the housing back over the impeller all the while turning the shaft clockwise. im really stumped here. this engine has given me a few problems and all been fixed now expect this one, shes not coming easy. any help on my very last problem with her?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Is there any chance the impeller is the wrong size or that the key has fallen out.
    When your testing it submerse all of the gearbox in a bucket of water and look for a little water spout from the pump it won't be very strong as it's coming out of a bigger hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

sounds like its not submerged enough, my 15 evinrude wont pump with the muffs or with gearbox covered with water, buts pumps fine hanging on the transom.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

Are you sure you are spinning the shaft the right way and with enough revs?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

bingo, not enough water in the barrell, topped it right up the the bottom of the housing and gave her a spin, out she came. thanks guys.

Advertisement