Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company witholds green area from Schoolchildren.

Options
  • 21-06-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I heard recently from a Relative that <a company> is refusing to let local School Children play on their Sports and Social green area/sports field located right beside their Primary School in the grounds of Mungret College - Which is as far as I am told seldom (if ever?) used.

- Thought it was a charming little tale of Corporate Bureaucracy meeting crap, lazy, half-ar$ed, small-minded indifference. Letting an entire School (being Irish you know how poorly it is funded) play in a small Yard, denied access to a recreational area (metres away and fenced off) because of the latest poorly conceived excuse is pretty unforgivable in my opinion.

Mods - This situation is I understand a matter of Public record, if <a company> wish to reply and state their case then let them and People can read any prepared statement and assess their case on its merits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I would imagine its due to insurance issues or something similar rather than just not letting them play there for the sake of it. Imagine of one of the children injured themselves while they were there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm not connected with the company or the school, but I reckon it would relate to an insurance issue, in a world gone compo mad, as soon as an injury occurs its the social club that would be on the courts list, I sympathise and kids suffer from lack of all sorts of facilities regards play etc (our own housing estate had its only decent open green area destroyed and never repaired) but I'd lay money its an insurance issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

in all fairness its not the company's business to provide space for school kids. Perfectly within their rights to say get lost..add in any insurance/compo issues etc they;d be mad to allow it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

MAn i remember back in the day when i wasn't allowed played footy in shelbourne park because the insurnace was astronomical due to claims. Same with the old obstical course in cratloe, too many claims from someone failing off the tarzan swing or other obstacles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

That's outrageous, quick, someone offer the kids the use of your own backgarden.

Too many insurance problems I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Where would society be if we allowed 25 year old pimple-popping Insurance Executives decide the difference between right and wrong?

- The company could allow this quite simply if there was any level of social conscience or integrity allowed to see the light of day. I'm sure that after decades of doing business in this region any minimal financial outlay in modifying insurance terms would be an absolute pittance in return in respects of profits made.

Anyone on here that says otherwise has been indoctrinated by the usual stale and weak excuses that make saying no easier than making a slight effort and saying yes.

- The problem here is that People have crap standards and this simply invites crap treatment in a descending cycle of perpetual crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No, the problem is claim hungry asshats who'd have their kids falling off this, under that. I'm with the company on this one, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Raiser wrote: »
    Where would society be if we allowed 25 year old pimple-popping Insurance Executives decide the difference between right and wrong?

- The company could allow this quite simply if there was any level of social conscience or integrity allowed to see the light of day. I'm sure that after decades of doing business in this region any minimal financial outlay in modifying insurance terms would be an absolute pittance in return in respects of profits made.

Anyone on here that says otherwise has been indoctrinated by the usual stale and weak excuses that make saying no easier than making a slight effort and saying yes.

- The problem here is that People have crap standards and this simply invites crap treatment in a descending cycle of perpetual crap.

Sure thing Raiser. I bet you allow random people in to use your property every day. If a guy knocked on the door and asked to use your bed you'd only be too happy to oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

No, the problem is claim hungry asshats who'd have their kids falling off this, under that. I'm with the company on this one, I'm afraid.

Agreed, it's the money grabbers that will sue at the drop of a hat that are to blame for this, not analog or the insurance companies.

Our society is getting more and more litigious and because of that we will see perfect green areas sitting idle, while kids suffer.

The company is a business. Its aim is to make a profit. It doesn't want to pump money into an area for children to play in.

I can see where they are coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

From working in the area, that green area is directly to the right of the school.
    If the lack of a field to play in was a major issue, there is another field directly facing the school. I am sure if the school needed it, they would be able to approach the farmer there.
    Field is massive and cut short at the moment. Let them sign a waiver and away they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    The Company is a business. Its aim is to make a profit. It doesn't want to pump money into an area for children to play in.

I can see where they are coming from.

This is an extract from the <snip> (essentially their Mission Statement)

"....Achieving quality and customer satisfaction requires that a company have a strong future orientation and the willingness to make long term commitments to customers, employees, stockholders, and the community....."

It seems they are only willing to make long term commitments to the local community when it doesn't cost them anything.

They have already made commitments to education around the area regarding scholarships. Source - http://www.ulf.ie/news/analog-devices-scholarships-and-hank-krabbe-medal-are-launched/

They also often organise stands at science type events to encourage young people into science.

My point is that they don't have to do absolutely everything asked of them, they have already contributed lots to the local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

I heard recently from a Relative that a company is refusing to let local School Children play on their Sports and Social green area/sports field located right beside their Primary School in the grounds of Mungret College - Which is as far as I am told seldom (if ever?) used.

- Thought it was a charming little tale of Corporate Bureaucracy meeting crap, lazy, half-ar$ed, small-minded indifference. Letting an entire School (being Irish you know how poorly it is funded) play in a small Yard, denied access to a recreational area (metres away and fenced off) because of the latest poorly conceived excuse is pretty unforgivable in my opinion.

Mods - This situation is I understand a matter of Public record, if Analog wish to reply and state their case then let them and People can read any prepared statement and assess their case on its merits.

Many schools are so afraid themselves of being sued for accidents during play that they are restricting activities during recreation.

Yet you want a company to throw open its (unsupervised) grounds?

I'd guess their insurers wouldn't let them.

You seem to be so worked up about this, not even admitting this most obvious of reasons, that I wonder what your real grievance is here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Have the school requested the use of the field, if yes, did they state that they would be willing to use their insurance to cover any claims?

Nwm2 wrote: »
    You seem to be so worked up about this, not even admitting this most obvious of reasons, that I wonder what your real grievance is here?

Yes, everything you say is true and all combines to make perfect sense.

- The truth is that when I was an infant the company's CEO kidnapped me and surgically implanted an Analog Devices chip in my frontal cortex, consequently I sing off-key when I'm drunk and tolerate poor, rambling arguments badly......

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Which school are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

jmch81 wrote: »
    Which school are you on about?

Like to know this as well,given there is two schools in Mungret college.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do you want them to remove the chip that was implanted that makes you think that it's ok to start threads based on a conversation you have with someone else?

Could you imagine the outcry if something happened to 1 of the darlings playing on the ground? The company employs 1200 people in Ireland, if each of these people spend 15k a year that's 18 million that's being introduced into the economy thanks to the company.

I'm sure a lot of people would like a system where everyone has an equal share of everything in the country, where there's no co-operations, there's public training areas for all, they tried in a few countries and it didn't work.

I also don't accept "a relative told me" as fact and I don't accept that it's a company's responsibility to refute allegations, I do accept that good debate is what boards is about, so I will ask you to find links to the "Public Record" as prove of the company's stance, otherwise I will delete the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

you're right, people do have crap standards. so low that at the first little knock their little precious got while they were somewhere they shouldn't be , their first thought is call a lawyer.

typical irish attitude to problems you have i'm afraid rasier, blame the result and not the cause..don't blame the society that allows people to sue for the littlest thing and win, blame the people who have to respond to that.

it's at least encouraging to see that everyone disagreed with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

mossym wrote: »
    typical irish attitude to problems you have i'm afraid rasier, blame the result and not the cause..don't blame the society that allows people to sue for the littlest thing and win, blame the people who have to respond to that.

Don't want to stray yet further off topic but....

Not sure what you are getting at here, basically its not people's fault they are greedy money grabbing lowlifes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Roadend wrote: »
    Don't want to stray yet further off topic but....

Not sure what you are getting at here, basically its not people's fault they are greedy money grabbing lowlifes?

no i'm saying it is,. sorry if i was unclear

my point was if you went back to the root of the problem, and the courts said that going into these places was legally at your own risk, and if anything happened to you while on other peoples property without invitation then you had no right to claim against them, then companies(and not just the one mentioned) wouldn't have to worry about you being on there and more likely to turn a blind eye.

but instead the company reacts to an underlying problem, and we blame their reaction rather than the problem that caused it.

the laws encourage people to claim for anything they can get away with, but instead of fixing the laws we have people like the op blaming anyone that tries to respond to an obvious issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I can't blame the company, they are too right to refuse.

There's a building site near where I live. The kids have broken into it several times. It was secured until some members of the traveling community decided they needed to leave their horses there. The kids have been in since smashing stuff, starting fires and just messing about on the big muck hills.

A few months back 1 of the kids got hurt. Then an adult was taking pictures of the whole site. He went into the site by himself and took pictures where the kid fell and where they usually 'play'. Now the site has been cleaned up and dismantled with no hope of it ever being finished at this stage.

No parent had bothered to keep their child out of the site before until 1 of them got hurt and then magically a parent appears with a camera to take pics and I assume make an insurance claim even tho the kid was trespassing and even the adult was trespassing to take the pictures. The company in the OP is right to withhold use of the green area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

There is also an issue here with these schools setting up all over the country with no facilities and then spending years on end whinging that they're all in pre-fabs,have no sports facilities etc etc.Simple really,the more schools you have the less facilities there are to go around.

allimac wrote: »
    There is also an issue here with these schools setting up all over the country with no facilities and then spending years on end whinging that they're all in pre-fabs,have no sports facilities etc etc.Simple really,the more schools you have the less facilities there are to go around.

:D

Christ knows why in the World these bad, bad People are setting up Schools in the first place?

Perhaps People are having Kids? - Possibly couples are having multiple offspring, maybe in secret, or even on the sly?

- Did you yourself happen to go to a School Allimac? - Lucky you! Bet it was top notch in an evidence-based observation.

Keep them coming, you're setting a new standard :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The end is nigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:D

Christ knows why in the World these bad, bad People are setting up Schools in the first place?

Perhaps People are having Kids? - Possibly couples are having multiple offspring, maybe in secret, or even on the sly?

- Did you yourself happen to go to a School Allimac? - Lucky you! Bet it was top notch in an evidence-based observation.

Keep them coming, you're setting a new standard :D

I'm going to lock you in my shed, and this time there will be no escape. :p

Actually on a semi serious note, and semi related to what you are talking about, there was a thread here not too long ago about trying to see if people were interested in trying to get that public park/play area that the Dooradoyle/Raheen area was promised by a number of politicians/county Council. Might be of interest to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

@Raiser. I thought you weren't online for a while and that was the reason you weren't providing the links, as I see you are here, can you please provide them, otherwise I will delete this thread as promised

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Clareman wrote: »
    @Raiser. I thought you weren't online for a while and that was the reason you weren't providing the links, as I see you are here, can you please provide them, otherwise I will delete this thread as promised

Before you delete his thread, would it be possible for the thread on the park for Raheen/Dooradoyle to be bumped as I think it may be of interest to Raiser.

If I find the thread myself I will bump it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    Before you delete his thread, would it be possible for the thread on the park for Raheen/Dooradoyle to be bumped as I think it may be of interest to Raiser.

If I find the thread myself I will bump it.

This the one?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72328561

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement