Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

Hey lads, looking at getting a new Laptop for college and ant it to be able to run GW2 on High ish settings. I'm looking to spend €600-€750 and was wondering what Processor/Graphics card would be best in this price range.

Look for something like an i5 3210m cpu and with a Nvidia 630m/AMD 7670M GPU.

Not sure how it will run GW2, but they are about the best CPU/GPU that you will get in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Hey lads, looking at getting a new Laptop for college and ant it to be able to run GW2 on High ish settings. I'm looking to spend €600-€750 and was wondering what Processor/Graphics card would be best in this price range.

You'll need to spend more if you want to play games on a high setting. For €750 you could build a desktop that would though. Do you really need a Laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

You'll need to spend more if you want to play games on a high setting. For €750 you could build a desktop that would though. Do you really need a Laptop?

Yeah, the laptop is for College, need it for the course I'm doing. Looking around I've spotted two machines, 1 Acer with an i7 and a GT630M, 6GB RAM and a Samsung with an AMD A10 and HD7650M with 8GB RAM. Both for around 700. The parents will be buying it so will see if I could push the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Yeah, the laptop is for College, need it for the course I'm doing. Looking around I've spotted two machines, 1 Acer with an i7 and a GT630M, 6GB RAM and a Samsung with an AMD A10 and HD7650M with 8GB RAM. Both for around 700. The parents will be buying it so will see if I could push the budget.

When buying a laptop for college you should consider weight and battery life as you don't want to have to have the damned thing plugged in all the time due to a ****e battery and having to carry a heavy laptop around all day does get annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Anyone know were the cheapest palce to pick up GW2 is? Ill be picking it up in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

What course are you doing? Unless you're doing video editing, CAD or something you might be better off splitting the money and getting a cheap netbook, spending the rest on a desktop. Gaming laptops are always a bad idea and are generally not very portable. You also can't really upgrade them which makes them obsolete faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

Highly recommend not getting a strong gaming laptop for any sort of college course or general day use.

They are a pain to travel with and battery time is a joke.

Get yourself a good slim portable with good battery life, and a desktop gaming PC in the future for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

What course are you doing? Unless you're doing video editing, CAD or something you might be better off splitting the money and getting a cheap netbook, spending the rest on a desktop. Gaming laptops are always a bad idea and are generally not very portable. You also can't really upgrade them which makes them obsolete faster.

Software Development is the course I'm doing. The laptop doesn't need to be all that for gaming, just once I can play both GW2 and SC2 would do me fine. Looking at a Lenovo and a Toshiba now from Komplett which seems like decent value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So Arenanet is taking down Youtube videos now apparently. FFS

No they 're not. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byg3emEocio&list=UUYUY9_i44IDNOs_Ja815mlA&index=5&feature=plcp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Software Development is the course I'm doing. The laptop doesn't need to be all that for gaming, just once I can play both GW2 and SC2 would do me fine. Looking at a Lenovo and a Toshiba now from Komplett which seems like decent value.

Yeah, I'd still not recommend gaming on a laptop. I'd consider any laptop that can run either of those games at decent framerates a "gaming laptop".

If you're doing programming the most important things are screen resolution and keyboard. In other words stay away from Toshiba, their build quality isn't the best. Lenovo is good, so are Asus, Acer and of course... Apple.

Personally, I'd pick up a used Thinkpad on ebay for around 100 Euro and throw Linux on it and spend the rest on a desktop with Windows 7. Only problem would be if you're doing C# or Visual C++ in college. You wouldn't be tempted to boot up Guild Wars then in college when you're supposed to be working if you're running Linux :)

nah not really, theres just the usuall hyperbole and rabble rabble going on about it because a handfull of videos that were making cash profits for the uploaders/channels were taken down as Ncsoft doesnt put up with that. As would most mmos companies iirc.
    It wasnt even Anet who took them down, was the parent company

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

a handfull of videos that were making cash profits for the uploaders/channels were taken down as Ncsoft doesnt put up with that.

According to the vid in the previous link they arent even taking the vids down. Just making so they cant be monetised

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DesertFox

nah not really, theres just the usuall hyperbole and rabble rabble going on about it because a handfull of videos that were making cash profits for the uploaders/channels were taken down as Ncsoft doesnt put up with that. As would most mmos companies iirc.
    It wasnt even Anet who took them down, was the parent company
    Roorah wrote: »
    According to the vid in the previous link they arent even taking the vids down. Just making so they cant be monetised

I don't think you guys realise but for a lot of people this is there job and most companies have no problem with people monetizing their videos.

I don't think this effects people with partnerships on youtube, they can monetise away it's just the little guys without partnership that want to monetise their videos are unable to do so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Beer and GW2,what better way to spend a saturday eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Beer and GW2,what better way to spend a saturday eh?

Torchlight 2 and vodka? GW2 really not attracting me at all anymore. Gonna leave it for a while before going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Suppose to be a big patch coming 24th of sep, i wonder if it will fix my stupid minion ai and all those skills of mine that dont seem to work :( i still love my necro.

Whats the Abreviation of that Guild yous have on Gunnars hold? I'm on Deso and coulda swore I saw some 'Ire' or something like that in WvW last night.

Id like to kill some fellow irish men :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I finally picked this up over the weekend. Enjoying it so far. I might have to develop some alts to find my favourite profession.

• Advertisement

I'm enjoying WvW. It's getting less Zergy and more organized but, the dam french Canadians on Vzunah square are rapeing in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Sarn wrote: »
    I finally picked this up over the weekend. Enjoying it so far. I might have to develop some alts to find my favourite profession.

Did i pick up an actual retail copy? if so were??

Was into 5 different shops in town the weekend and not one of them had it instock!:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I made it to my first gold today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I made it to my first gold today :P

And you can kiss goodbye to it once you hit level 40 and have to buy another trait book :D

delta36 wrote: »
    And you can kiss goodbye to it once you hit level 40 and have to buy another trait book :D

Ya I was wondering when that was coming up,I'm level 36 now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Haven't logged in a few days. It does get stale once you hit 80! :(

Have my ranger fully geared, still have a few explorer mode dungeons left but have no motivation to do them.

WvW doesn't really interest me and sPvP while good is getting boring solo. Torchlight2 and Borderlands2 are a nice break for awhile but I'm sure I'll be back to finish levelling my Guardian!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say a lot of people who aren't that interested in PvP will start leaving the game to be honest. I've not had much time to play it (and what little time lately has gone to FTL which i'm slightly addicted to), but do plan on getting a few hours in over the next week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hit lvl 80 over the weekend and now dont know what to do at all.
    WvW is enjoyable in the way a game of battlefield is or another fps but since im a pve player at heart im not sure how long ill be interested in logging in.
    Dare i say it but guild wars 2 like many an mmo before has once again shown me just how good WOW pve is.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Haven't logged in a few days. It does get stale once you hit 80! :(

Have my ranger fully geared, still have a few explorer mode dungeons left but have no motivation to do them.

WvW doesn't really interest me and sPvP while good is getting boring solo. Torchlight2 and Borderlands2 are a nice break for awhile but I'm sure I'll be back to finish levelling my Guardian!

How did you get to 80 so fast?crafting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I went from lvl 70-80 over the weekend in about 3 hours just by getting into a group and just killing everything in sight which inevitably involved quest mobs etc.

Advertisement