Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Wi-fi range in the house

Options
  • 21-07-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Currently using THREE's Netgear AC762S Wifi 4G hub, and Vodafone's R212.

While THREE's range is pretty decent, Vodafone's is awful... where there's no signal just down the hall from the device.

How do I proceed in extending the range? Heard you can convert a regular router into a "Repeater" --- how do I proceed doing that? I got a TP-Link N600 lying about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 abc_defg

As far as I know, one of the original antenna can make your Wifi coverage more and make your speed is faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Currently using THREE's Netgear AC762S Wifi 4G hub, and Vodafone's R212.

While THREE's range is pretty decent, Vodafone's is awful... where there's no signal just down the hall from the device.

How do I proceed in extending the range? Heard you can convert a regular router into a "Repeater" --- how do I proceed doing that? I got a TP-Link N600 lying about.
    The netgear modem has an option to extend wifi coverage, go to advanced settings, wifi, network & you will see an option to change wifi coverage from short range to medium or long range. Made a slight difference in my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depends on the devices you use to access the wifi as well. Some older ones won't support wifi N or 5ghz or whatever.

Best solution is to have 2 wifi access points providing coverage in the house, then you are never too far from one of them. Connect both access points together via ethernet cable (best) or powerline adapters.

Do not use a "repeater", this is the worst possible solution (connecting two access points together wirelessly).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Think I'll just get one of those Powerline Adapters --- how good would those work connecting to my 4G device ?

Yes it should have an ethernet port.

• Advertisement

Looking up them powerline adaptors - they all seem to require a direct connection from the router via Ethernet cable on one end ?

There any that can accept the wireless signal off my 4G device directly ? Using Vodafone's R212 model:

r212.jpg

Anything without an ethernet port is worthless tbh.

This range extender from tp-link, TL-WA850RE picks up the wifi signal from my aircard & I then connect it to a powerline adapter via Ethernet cable. Argos have them for about €30.

bodonnell wrote: »
    This range extender from tp-link, TL-WA850RE picks up the wifi signal from my aircard & I then connect it to a powerline adapter via Ethernet cable. Argos have them for about €30.

Want to avoid using a wifi extender [repeater] --- read up they're really bad and degrade the connection by 50%.

I've noticed THREE have the Huawei B593s... and it's got Ethernet ports with it, exactly what I need so I can network the house using Powerline Adapters.

Just sucks Vodafone offers no such routers...

Want to avoid using a wifi extender [repeater] --- read up they're really bad and degrade the connection by 50%.

I've noticed THREE have the Huawei B593s... and it's got Ethernet ports with it, exactly what I need so I can network the house using Powerline Adapters.

Just sucks Vodafone offers no such routers...

I was only losing 10 to 15%, extender was situated just a couple of feet from the aircard & then plugged into the adapter. Initially I placed it approx. 20' from the modem & the pc (upstairs) wifi adapter would not pick it up.
    For whatever reason, the upstairs pc in now getting a wifi signal from the aircard, it's only a 40% signal but is about 3 times faster than my landline was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Looking up them powerline adaptors - they all seem to require a direct connection from the router via Ethernet cable on one end ?

There any that can accept the wireless signal off my 4G device directly ? Using Vodafone's R212 model:

r212.jpg

Hi there,
    I am looking to buy a wireless device that I can use at home. I want to put a Vodafone SIM in it (a mate gave me the SIM) and then connect my laptop, phone etc.

Someone on Adverts.ie has offered me a Vodafone R212 for €45 but I think that's a bit steep, right?

Does anyone out there use the R212 and what are the 4G speeds like? Is there an Ethernet port on the R212?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am looking to buy a wireless device that I can use at home. I want to put a Vodafone SIM in it (a mate gave me the SIM) and then connect my laptop, phone etc.

Someone on Adverts.ie has offered me a Vodafone R212 for €45 but I think that's a bit steep, right?

Does anyone out there use the R212 and what are the 4G speeds like? Is there an Ethernet port on the R212?

Cheers,
    M

I got the Huawei B593-22 not long after making this thread a fair while back...

Take a look here:

LINK for a comparison. (The Netgear's the same as Vodafone's R212)

I got the Huawei B593-22 not long after making this thread a fair while back...

Take a look here:

LINK for a comparison. (The Netgear's the same as Vodafone's R212)

Thanks mate and how is it working out for you? What part of Dublin are you in?

Thanks,
    M

Thanks mate and how is it working out for you? What part of Dublin are you in?

Thanks,
    M

I'm near Ashbourne, further out in the countryside... a good 5+ km from the telecoms mast.

Works perfectly fine, I'm using THREE's Mobile "All you can Eat [Data]" (Not suppose to, but eh... exploiting it till they do something about it :p ... effectively unlimited broadband for me, having done almost 500+GB per month downloading without any throttling for the past year. Works perfectly fine for gaming, with 30-45+ pings).

I'm near Ashbourne, further out in the countryside... a good 5+ km from the telecoms mast.

Works perfectly fine, I'm using THREE's Mobile "All you can Eat [Data]" (Not suppose to, but eh... exploiting it till they do something about it :p ... effectively unlimited broadband for me, having done almost 500+GB per month downloading without any throttling for the past year. Works perfectly fine for gaming, with 30-45+ pings).

Impressive mate! I'm right beside the Red Cow Roundabout and was hoping to go with Vodafone.

Impressive mate! I'm right beside the Red Cow Roundabout and was hoping to go with Vodafone.

Try THREE... 1 month contract, all you can eat data for 20 euros per month... compared to Vodafone's 30 euros for a meagre 20 GB, with an 18 month contract.

Advertisement