Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ah no she used the 'disappointed' trick, feel bad now :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    Ah no she used the 'disappointed' trick, feel bad now :(

ruined my whole weekend

and re more fun posts than training posts, sure we are getting them in while we can. soon as the Nice training starts it'll be difficult to get a "well done" post in here with the training sessions CW will be posting..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mossym wrote: »
    ruined my whole weekend

and re more fun posts than training posts, sure we are getting them in while we can. soon as the Nice training starts it'll be difficult to get a "well done" post in here with the training sessions CW will be posting..

that's just made my day :D:D:pac::pac:

BTH wrote: »

Was chuckling myself!!

Turning out to be more of a behind the bikeshed hangout than a training log here.

Anyone got a light? :)

Was chuckling myself!!

Turning out to be more of a behind the bikeshed hangout than a training log here.

Anyone got a light? :)

No, but I picked up these fungus in the park....... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I don't get it

tunney wrote: »
    I don't get it
    I don't get it.

Not sure if serious. :confused:

Not sure if serious. :confused:

You confused, never.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sarcasm, note the colour.

I didn't get the "joke"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Now back to the hard work :cool:

Thursday Lunch: My set plan of bike 120/130 heart rate didn't last very long. 5k into a big headwind and I see I am up in the 160's which is off the chart for me on a bike. Headwinds are the bane of my life so I decided I might as well work hard and see if I can improve with them. Took it easier with the tailwind but the HR remained high. Came in on 29.1kph for the 20k route AHR 144. The winter road bike is back on the road and I found it quite strange going out on it

Friday AM: Have to be back early on friday mornings so didn't bother with the pool and hopped on the turbo. I never got around to starting Breaking Bad Season 5 so time to finish that off. Games of Thrones Season 3 after that and then........I have Sons of Anarchy downloaded so I will probably give that a try.

As per usual a low heart rate on the turbo, 124 average for the 45 minutes yet it felt far harder than the 144 out on the road yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you given much thought to how many hours a week you'll train for the IM? More importantly, have you shared that info with Mrs C? :p

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you given much thought to how many hours a week you'll train for the IM? More importantly, have you shared that info with Mrs C? :p

Mrs C is on a need to know basis, but I am constantly telling her how much training you do and how long you are gone for weekends and how lucky she is to have ended up with me rather than you etc etc - so shes well aware

The Sunday cycle will be the issue however Jesus himself has got involved in helping me and she has started bringing them to church since Pudsy has shown the ability to keep relatively quiet for the hour

While I haven't an ounce of religion in me. This I am encouraging big time as it opens a window up on sunday as wide as Moses parting the red sea

catweazle wrote: »
    Mrs C is on a need to know basis, but I am constantly telling her how much training you do and how long you are gone for weekends and how lucky she is to have ended up with me rather than you etc etc - so shes well aware

The Sunday cycle will be the issue however Jesus himself has got involved in helping me and she has started bringing them to church since Pudsy has shown the ability to keep relatively quiet for the hour

While I haven't an ounce of religion in me. This I am encouraging big time as it opens a window up on sunday as wide as Moses parting the red sea

I don't know how you, pgibbo and AKW do it all.
    Must be very difficult with those large opposable digits on your heads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

meant to ask....the log title. Josh Wink?

Given that a lot of the content in this thread thus far relates to this its important that people are careful when out and about. Be safe

mossym wrote: »
    meant to ask....the log title. Josh Wink?

Yep you must gave been getting the bus into strictly rhythm every now and then

Given that a lot of the content in this thread thus far relates to this its important that people are careful when out and about. Be safe

Ha always bring an expert mushroom forager with you when picking, a great phrase for a hippy or New Age traveller

Friday evening: 10k run pace 4.50 AHR 148 - a little bit faster than planned but I had got my hands on some old Sasha/John Digweed Renaissance CDs so I was chugging along nicely and not paying attention

Saturday AM: Paid the price a little with a bit of a slog today on heavy legs, I had hoped for 15k but running late did a 13k route instead. 5.03 pace. AHR 143. Was at a kids party later that afternoon and enjoyed mrs c listening to the wife of a recent ironman Mallorca participant sing the praises of the race atmosphere over there

Sunday AM: The plan was for two hours but did slightly more as I decided I wanted to do 60k. I have got to stop dropping in DVDs into xtravision in town, I reckon it was red at every traffic light I came upon. Turned around just past Barna, stopped in Coco cafe for a quick coffee and sat down and watched a few brave lads go out in togs in very choppy water - they stayed in a fair while too :eek: Didn't manage to get into the 120's AHR 117. A nice cycle one of those days you are expecting to get saturated but the rain never came

Monday AM: Didn't make the pool - slept in!

Monday Evening: A run around the local loop - AHR- 145 Pace 4.56

Tuesday AM:
    Having not swam since last thursday, this session stank 1600m

Tuesday Lunch: The sound quality is crap on my Breaking Bad Season 5 I could hardly hear it over the turbo so gave it up and put on some music instead. Worked much harder with the music - an average of 134 bpm for 40 minutes is solid going for me and the turbo

Wednesday Am: Another poor swim session, I need to take the lead out of my arse or I will end up cruising through the pool sessions like last season. 1200ms

Wednesday Lunch: Legged off with the hrm but realised I had forgot the Polar. Guessed at 4.50 pace would be the high 140's for me, probably feeling the effects of a decent turbo yesterday as I would expect the HR was into the 150's towards the end

Long day in Kerry tomorrow - not sure of time but hoping not very very early doors and I can get a turbo in at least

Thursday AM: With a long day in Kerry ahead, I hopped up on the turbo at 6:30 am, while I hate a run at this hour the bike seems fine. Went back to my usual sufferfest favourite of Fight Club. Good session averaged 132 max 172

Friday AM: Slept through the alarm (I got home very late). Roused myself to go down for a quick swim as I had to get milk for the kids anyways. 1000m nice and slow

Friday evening: An 8k run, with tomorrow's long run in mind I kept this easy 8k @ 5:06 pace AHR 142

Saturday Afternoon: Poorly planned and had a full belly of beans and toast just down me and off I went. Felt very sluggish and cramps and only started dropping into sub 5 minute ks towards the end. 15k @ 5:03 AHR - 141

Sunday am: Strange cycle - I had planned to do the 75k route out to craughwell but with heavy fog I decided the main roads would be better. I was underdressed so I thought as I was freezing and I threw in an all out rep of the hill out towards ballybrit to get the blood going, it's not long perhaps just over 300ms but most of it is around 10%. The fog lifted coming into the coast and it turned out to be a cracking day and I was roasted on the way back.

Highlight was attempting to nonchantly chat to a lad in full TT mode, aero helmet and all as I went past him. He actually had a nice flat back coming up to him but I was close to saying he needs to keep his knees from sticking out at right angles to the frame

Plenty of trisport and a full sportive of the Galway triathlon crew out around spiddal.

Nice cycle - going to swap out the Friday run with another turbo if I can, running two days in a row doesn't really work for me and I need the 4 bike over the 4th run anyways. 78k @28.2kph AHR - 123

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You should try to do 4 runs. I'd recommend making your turbo sessions a bit longer rather than upping to 4. After you've done that you could then look at going to 4.

Monday AM: I was at the pool but I cant remember how much, it was shag all anyways - lets say 500ms

Monday Evening: Just an easy run. 5.08 pace AHR - 140

Tuesday AM: 1000m in the pool

Tuesday Lunch: The lack of enough sound to drown out the turbo on my low quality illegal boxsets is a good thing in some ways. Instead of lowering the power trying to hear what they are talking about in key moments - I am finding the psychedelic screensaver of the old windows media player strangely soothing as I pump out the dance music. Good session 45 minutes AHR-132

Wednesday AM: Just cant get going in the pool - 800ms :(

Wednesday Lunch: 8k at 4.53 pace. AHR - 144

Thursday AM: With a visit to the dentist later I skipped the pool to make sure I got the turbo session in instead. While my mojo is gone awol in the pool I am loving the bike sessions these days :eek:

Hell Hath No Fury - 1.15 at 130 AHR

****ing Dentist - the tooth is gone and with one missing from that side of the mouth already I don't want to be starting to have my dinners through a straw yet. After what I thought was a decent discussion I decided to go with a root canal to save the tooth rather than a dental bridge. 550 euros yikes :eek:

As I was paying for the 1st stage the receptionist makes small talk with me, now normally I wouldn't enjoy a conversation about root canal treatment and their benefits but shes a cute looking blonde so I go with it.

Halfway through I switch on - "hold on did you say a crown will be needed as well - I wasn't told that". The poor girl started to backwater but her goose was cooked - "why didn't the dentist say I would need a crown too", I thought it was 550 and I would be done with it. So approx another 800 for a crown will be needed after the root canal treatment grrrrrrrr

Christ i must have put that dentists kids through College at this stage

To hell with it I suppose, I need the tooth and I want to get any teeth issues out of the way now before starting into a training plan

Thursday Lunch: An easy run, mainly because I could I suppose as the tooth only got a dressing. 8k at 5.20 AHR - 136

• Advertisement

Nice HR work.

What's the plan? Are you zonal training through the winter to make a base or mixing in up?

Nice HR work.

What's the plan? Are you zonal training through the winter to make a base or mixing in up?

I seem to remember from Kinvara you have a much higher heart rate than me - whats your max?

Mostly base training - will keep it in the 140's mainly

However there is no harm in having the odd hard session particularly on the bike for me, i have great difficulty holding 130+ HR on the turbo yet on the bike I would suspect that will be what I will be trying on IM day. I averaged 135 HR on the bike in Kenmare which seemed to suit me

Max is about 182 running flat out up a steep hill.

I don't have the leg speed or mechanics to get max running on the flat. I peak about 174bpm. I'm probably about 10-15 bpm higher than you for the same zones, but maybe you are running too easy for your zones. (?)

catweazle wrote: »
    Monday AM: I was at the pool but I cant remember how much, it was shag all anyways - lets say 500ms

Monday Evening: Just an easy run. 5.08 pace AHR - 140

Tuesday AM: 1000m in the pool

Tuesday Lunch: The lack of enough sound to drown out the turbo on my low quality illegal boxsets is a good thing in some ways. Instead of lowering the power trying to hear what they are talking about in key moments - I am finding the psychedelic screensaver of the old windows media player strangely soothing as I pump out the dance music. Good session 45 minutes AHR-132

Wednesday AM: Just cant get going in the pool - 800ms :(

Wednesday Lunch: 8k at 4.53 pace. AHR - 144

Thursday AM: With a visit to the dentist later I skipped the pool to make sure I got the turbo session in instead. While my mojo is gone awol in the pool I am loving the bike sessions these days :eek:

Hell Hath No Fury - 1.15 at 130 AHR

****ing Dentist - the tooth is gone and with one missing from that side of the mouth already I don't want to be starting to have my dinners through a straw yet. After what I thought was a decent discussion I decided to go with a root canal to save the tooth rather than a dental bridge. 550 euros yikes :eek:

As I was paying for the 1st stage the receptionist makes small talk with me, now normally I wouldn't enjoy a conversation about root canal treatment and their benefits but shes a cute looking blonde so I go with it.

Halfway through I switch on - "hold on did you say a crown will be needed as well - I wasn't told that". The poor girl started to backwater but her goose was cooked - "why didn't the dentist say I would need a crown too", I thought it was 550 and I would be done with it. So approx another 800 for a crown will be needed after the root canal treatment grrrrrrrr

Christ i must have put that dentists kids through College at this stage

To hell with it I suppose, I need the tooth and I want to get any teeth issues out of the way now before starting into a training plan

Thursday Lunch: An easy run, mainly because I could I suppose as the tooth only got a dressing. 8k at 5.20 AHR - 136

Crowns are recommended but not required.

Friday am: The usual miserable swim of 600m, I can't really do much Fridays anyways but I did compound it by not getting a turbo in that evening. We will call it a rest day.

Saturday: This was horrendous, the heart rate was sky high from the beginning and the pace just went out and out as I tried to keep it in the 140's. Very very high, the young lad is a little out of sorts so perhaps I am coming down with something. 18k at 5.25 pace 152 AHR.

Sunday AM: Another struggle but against the elements rather than the heart rate today. Delighted to get out as I had resigned myself to the turbo. I got caught in some torrential showers but all and all it was nowhere near as bad as forecast. Last week of having to drop the DVDs back to xtravision as my monthly pass is gone so Spiddal and back, dirty headwind all the way in and after spying some lads flying the other way though barna I was looking forward to the tailwind. Weather really calmed down though so it wasn't as good as I was expecting on the way home. 72k @ 25.2kph AHR - 123

Monday: 600ms in the pool in the morning and I snuck out for a quick 5k run that evening. 4.58 pace AHR 140

Tuesday: A little better in the pool with a massive 1200ms swam, just kept going for a little bit longer than normal these days with the pull buoy. Under pressure at work so didn't get out again, I toyed with the idea of going out to the turbo that night after dinner but got lazy and watched the Barcelona match instead

Wednesday AM:
    Something going wrong 2100ms swam and at a reasonable pace too :eek: 5 x 396 off 8 minutes 7.50/7.45/7.30/7.22/7.00

Wednesday Lunch: 40 minutes on the turbo - no heart monitor but was pushing hard

I suppose I always knew this day was coming but it still hit me like a tonne of bricks when I heard the news this morning. My own young lad is just a little bit younger than him, while his parents might just want to rest now i hope they continue to raise awareness in the future about this terrible disease

RIP brave Gavin I wish you could have stayed longer with us

Gavin+Glynn2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What was wrong with the adorable Superman Gavin? :(

Ah its a long story - it's not something that would have normally come up on my radar. The local tri/cycling club did something for him a few months ago and I saw the pictures on Facebook, I looked into him a bit more then. Looking back now I would have loved to have gone out with them and met them but I didn't know anything about it.

This tells the story I suppose better than anything (have the tissues ready).

http://gavinsprotontherapyswitzerland.blogspot.ie

While ultimately it had a tragic ending, I remember the first calls out to raise the money and while I am not proud of a lot of things in this country one thing you can count on in Ireland is people will always dig deep and help. Some of the stuff that people did for him on Facebook was amazing. Team gain glynn is his Facebook profile. If his death does anything I am sure I am not the only one who will try and help crumlin and temple street hospital in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Very tragic indeed. And DCM is only days away - I'm sure that will be a very emotional day for Team Gavin. Let's hope good comes from this loss. Thanks for sharing this story.

• Advertisement

Thursday AM: 1500m in the pool

Thursday Lunch:
    Heart rate still a little higher than usual, 10k @ 5.01 pace 150bpm

Friday Evening: 8k @ 4.54 pace 140bpm :confused: Now its lower than usual for that pace. I wasnt planning to do another run 2 days in a row but the plan for the long weekend was bike - run - bike. When I got back I was told its going to be run - bike - bike instead - expecting tomorrow to be a slog

Advertisement