Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do you have to run the Dublin City marathon or do some people walk/fast walk it?
    How long would it take one to walk it?

I'd love to do it as a lifetime aim but wouldn't be able to run it.
    I'm a decent Walker who would cover 22km a day.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

According to the DCM website, walkers are welcome and the course is open for seven and a half hours so if you're a decent walker you should do that easily. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

I've already entered the Dublin City half marathon on Saturday 20th September. Can anybody recommend a good hotel the nearest to the start point for the Dublin City half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Does registration for the Marathon close early?
    Also what races are in the marathon series? Dates and distance?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Just wondering do you have to run the Dublin City marathon or do some people walk/fast walk it?

Not trying to be a dick but the DCM is a running event. Why not do a charity walk instead? I bet you'd surprise yourself if you started running/jogging- a marathon is achievable for anyone who puts in the time!

Does registration for the Marathon close early?
    Also what races are in the marathon series? Dates and distance?

Thanks

All info on dcm website. Everything you need to know

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Not trying to be a dick but the DCM is a running event. Why not do a charity walk instead? I bet you'd surprise yourself if you started running/jogging- a marathon is achievable for anyone who puts in the time!
    The organisers have no problem with people walking it so why should you? You don't know someone's personal reasons for not wanting or being able to run. As long as they're not in anyone's way I fail to see the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would you say the say thing to Rob Heffernan?

Marathon is not just for runners, doesnt say that anywhere.

Walkers should however start at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Would u say dat to rod heffernan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The only counterpoint to make is that there is a 7.5hr Cut off. If you are not capable of walking the marathon under that time then you shouldn't do it. It is not fair on the volunteers and organisers to have to wait around for a few stragglers when 99.9% of the field are already finished.

However it should not really be a problem. I know quite a few 100 mara club guys who regularly walk marathons in under 6 hours.

menoscemo wrote: »

However it should not really be a problem. I know quite a few 100 mara club guys who regularly walk marathons in under 6 hours.
    Did u buy a stab proof vest wen u were down in limerick:)..

• Advertisement

I absolutely would. The day a walker beats me at any distance is the day I hang up my spikes for good!

Ososlo wrote: »
    The organisers have no problem with people walking it so why should you?

Because I'm a salty/ cynical asshole ;) In all seriousness though I believe all marathons should have a much tougher time cut off than 7.5 hrs...but thats opening a whole other can of worms!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I absolutely would. The day a walker beats me at any distance is the day I hang up my spikes for good!
    Based on Rob's 50k time, that's a sub-3:05 marathon

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

dobbs2210 wrote: »

There was plenty of walkers doing it last year, they started at the back. I saw several going along Milltown Rd. on my way home afterwards. Fair play to anybody who runs, walks or runs and walks it.

28064212 wrote: »
    Based on Rob's 50k time, that's a sub-3:05 marathon

And???

And???
    So if you ever run a 3:05+ marathon, you'll give up running for good?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Did u buy a stab proof vest wen u were down in limerick:)..

haha no, I am talking about hughie, humphrey etc who always walk, never run. Both did Boston this year in about 6 and would do 'easier' courses in about 5:45.

So if you ever run a 3:05+ marathon, you'll give up running for good?

uh oh.... you actually have me there- I just paced 3:15 in Limerick so guess I'm finished.

I'll just have to start walking and then go on a ridiculous racist rant that goes unpunished while I continue to receive taxpayer cash...sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Rant: people who feel the need to qualify people's times and achievements any way they can.
    Not trying to be a dick but the DCM is a running event. Why not do a charity walk instead?

Just sayin ...

menoscemo wrote: »
    haha no, I am talking about hughie, humphrey etc who always walk, never run. Both did Boston this year in about 6 and would do 'easier' courses in about 5:45.
    Add frank to dat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Because I'm a salty/ cynical asshole ;) In all seriousness though I believe all marathons should have a much tougher time cut off than 7.5 hrs...but thats opening a whole other can of worms!

I agree with quimby. Take other sports as an example. If a golfer used a putter going around the course would he be allowed to finish his round? If a footballer didn't touch the ball during a match would he stay on the pitch? Would a sprinter be allowed walk the 100m? Would a kid be allowed walk the 15 meter run in the school sports day?

You cant realistically claim to have completed a marathon if you've strolled around for 26 miles.

Gavlor wrote: »
    I agree with quimby. Take other sports as an example. If a golfer used a putter going around the course would he be allowed to finish his round? If a footballer didn't touch the ball during a match would he stay on the pitch? Would a sprinter be allowed walk the 100m? Would a kid be allowed walk the 15 meter run in the school sports day?

You cant realistically claim to have completed a marathon if you've strolled around for 26 miles.
    But none of your opinions matter as the organisers welcome walkers. End of. ..

uh oh.... you actually have me there- I just paced 3:15 in Limerick so guess I'm finished.

I'll just have to start walking and then go on a ridiculous racist rant that goes unpunished while I continue to receive taxpayer cash...sound familiar?
    Familiar? Sure. Relevant? Not even slightly. You seem to be mistaking me for someone who's a fan of Rob and/or race-walking. You decided to jump into the thread and disparage other people's achievements, or attempts at achievements, and used a stupid statement to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

But none of your opinions matter as the organisers welcome walkers. End of. ..

It's my opinion and in my opinion, my opinion is correct as it's my opinion.

Besides, walkers aren't excluded from any of the sports I mentioned, they just aren't tolerated

It's my opinion and in my opinion, my opinion is correct as it's my opinion.

Besides, walkers aren't excluded from any of the sports I mentioned, they just aren't tolerated

Your opinion isn't relevant to the OP who asked if it was ok to walk dcm. It is ok as the organisers welcome walkers. Your opinion might be the most bestest opinion in the world but it doesn't matter here!

Familiar? Sure. Relevant? Not even slightly. You seem to be mistaking me for someone who's a fan of Rob and/or race-walking. You decided to jump into the thread and disparage other people's achievements, or attempts at achievements, and used a stupid statement to do it

Hahahahah.... not exactly. I jumped into the thread to encourage the OP to try to run/ jog as walking a marathon isn't actually an achievement (unless you have a disability that makes running not possible i.e. wheelchair etc)

Rob Heffernan was brought into the thread to show me how "amazing" walkers are- I just stated I'd kick his ass at any distance and that I have little time for the type of racist drivel that he spewed a few months ago...

So yeah 06789328283930393- the thread is derailed but you have as much responsibility for that as I do...

End of. ..

Ososlo- I just need to notify you that attempting to end an argument with me by using the phrase "end of" pretty much guarantees I'm gonna keep it going lol...

I agree with quimby. Take other sports as an example. If a golfer used a putter going around the course would he be allowed to finish his round?
    Yes, providing he wasn't delaying others (there are rules against slow play)
    If a footballer didn't touch the ball during a match would he stay on the pitch?
    His manager might take him off, but a referee wouldn't disqualify him because he's not making enough of an effort
    Would a sprinter be allowed walk the 100m?
    Yes. They certainly wouldn't be disqualified before getting to the end (maybe if it was causing a delay in other races)
    Would a kid be allowed walk the 15 meter run in the school sports day?
    Yes. Those are really terrible examples
    What definition of completing a marathon has a time-limit on it? You couldn't say you completed the DCM if you finished after 7.5 hours, because the course has closed, but you could still say you completed a marathon distance. The mistake is in people believing a marathon is automatically an amazing achievement, without considering whether they "strolled" it

Just sayin ...

"All men are frauds, the only difference between them is some admit it. I myself deny it"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

ake other sports as an example. If a golfer used a putter going around the course would he be allowed to finish his round? If a footballer didn't touch the ball during a match would he stay on the pitch? Would a sprinter be allowed walk the 100m? Would a kid be allowed walk the 15 meter run in the school sports day?

Fairly sure in all those examples, the answer is yes.

I've played in many a crap football side that allowed crap players play. Same with golf, people step aside and let fast golfers play through. People are sound like that.

Advertisement