Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

begging

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Was in the city twice over the weekend; early morning and late evening. And was back there yesterday as well.

Walked through North Main Street on each occasion; no junkies, no beggars, street was clean (as clean as any other street), no one being aggressive, no shelling from 1940's German aircraft. Just regular people going about their daily lives.

As beer rev said, some nice shops on the street, and it's far from the worst place in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anytime I'm pinting in a bar on the North Main St I quite enjoy having a smoke outside on the street, you get to see drunk angry norries kicking the crap out of each other, happy days.
    Seriously though the street needs help, I think it would be great if more businesses like Bradleys were encouraged to open there, I don't mean off licensees but quality, boutique type shops and higher end restaurants.
    At the moment the only reason I have to shop there is Bradleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

North Main Street is generally okay, but it is full of drunks, and people generally being very loud. Turns me off going down there. Bradleys is nice, but always found it strange how they don't have any CCTV whatsoever in that shop. Especially since they stock drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I agree with the above post. I walk on North Main Street almost daily and find it fine. It is also home to Bradley's - Cork's best off licence and artisan food shop. The kind of hysterical advice posted here advising people to avoid the area only serves to degrade the area.
    As more and more law abiding citizens abandon the streets, the scumbags move in.

North Main Street really is no worse than any other part of town. There is one vacant site but very few empty buildings. I suspect that the people lambasting the area and advising people to avoid the area are not really that familiar with the street.

People are delicate souls who love a bit of a drama.

As I've said before, people would want a serious bit of perspective, the city centre is far from being rough. I'm not saying ignore our problems, what I'm saying is our problems do not even exist to the extent that people make out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My own recent experience, perhaps a one off, is that the begging is getting more aggressive. This happened in Grand Parade in daylight, where a refusal prompted a verbal assault and a literal in-your face demand for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 fellas begging outside Centra on Washington St. , literally screaming at people as they walk past who don't give them coin. The place is gone to pot :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Noticed one of those guys there yday. Had my earphones in but if he had grabbed at me like some of the other passerbys I wouldn't have taken it too well. Aggressive begging is illegal is it not- I vaguely remember it being passed a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

tinz18 wrote: »
    Noticed one of those guys there yday. Had my earphones in but if he had grabbed at me like some of the other passerbys I wouldn't have taken it too well. Aggressive begging is illegal is it not- I vaguely remember it being passed a few years ago?

I thought all begging was illegal? At what point does it become aggressive? Just curious.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Theres this tapped young guy you see around town begging with a dog,I thought he was one of the roma at first but hes Irish.Was harrassing people outside that church behind the courthouse this evening.He followed one elderly man up the street virtualy sticking his plastic cup in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

54kroc wrote: »
    I thought all begging was illegal? At what point does it become aggressive? Just curious.

Begging isn't illegal, what gets beggers into trouble with the law is if they don't agree to move on when requested to by the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There appears to have been a sudden spike in people on the street begging this weekend. Granted I've not been through town much in the past couple of weekends but it seemed that there was a lot of people out begging compared to normal. Never seen it this bad. The cynic in me says it's a mix of the genuinely down and out and some opportunists hoping for some of the festival goodwill finding its way to their pockets. I've not seen anyone be aggressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe it's me, but i never notice any aggrressive behaviour from street people. i walk our dog around the city on monday nights while waiting for my daughter, and i feel safe and relaxed (as relaxed as i ever am;), and never see anything untoward.
    maybe it needs to be specific times/people who have these things happen to them.

crk's a lovely city, real college city with a nice feel and it's not teeming with any kind of 'scum' or trouble. those things are everywhere if you go looking for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

maybe it's me, but i never notice any aggrressive behaviour from street people. i walk our dog around the city on monday nights while waiting for my daughter, and i feel safe and relaxed (as relaxed as i ever am;), and never see anything untoward.
    maybe it needs to be specific times/people who have these things happen to them.

crk's a lovely city, real college city with a nice feel and it's not teeming with any kind of 'scum' or trouble. those things are everywhere if you go looking for them.

At that time they probably have sufficient change for whatever fix they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Anyone get hassled for money in Douglas...?

I was going to the PTSB ATM in Douglas village about a week ago when a tall guy in his 20s, wearing a hoodie approached me looking for €2 for the bus.

He was agressive in the sense he didnt ask but demanded. "Gimme €2 for the bus will ya"..
    Rather than stopping at the ATM I kept walking and could hear him saying the same to other people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Bacchus wrote: »
    There appears to have been a sudden spike in people on the street begging this weekend. Granted I've not been through town much in the past couple of weekends but it seemed that there was a lot of people out begging compared to normal. Never seen it this bad. The cynic in me says it's a mix of the genuinely down and out and some opportunists hoping for some of the festival goodwill finding its way to their pockets. I've not seen anyone be aggressive though.

Christmas market innit! More footfall = more money.
    I used to give money to some beggars but now I dont know who's "real" and who isn't anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's with the large groups of people sleeping rough lately who clearly don't look homeless?

Every corner you turn now in the evening there is someone begging it's hasn't been this bad in a long time. **** all is been done to combat it. Christmas is a breeding ground for this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's an on-going issue in every city & until the Gardaí or the people do something it will unfortunately continue.

What's with the large groups of people sleeping rough lately who clearly don't look homeless?

Organised gangs of Roma beggars for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Organised gangs of Roma beggars for the most part.

They don't look like Roma either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

As a rule of thumb I just don't give money to any beggars. With all the organised begging rings around the place you can't be too sure who you are giving your hard-earned cash to. I despise begging as a whole anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorkyLFC

I work in the City Centre, and the same people who come in with their wads of €50's are the same people who you will pass 2 or 3 hours later begging on the streets or bridges so I have given up on giving any begger my money.

I'd gladly give to the Share lads or the Simon Community any day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

As said earlier this is organised gangs of roma gangs-buddy is a guard told me this-a lot of them live in nice houses and spend the days begging hiding their shopping bags under blankets-I feel they should be deported and have no sympathy for these scam artists.

That grey haired guy in his late 50s /early 60s who insults everyone he meets seems to have taken up residence on Oliver Plunket St ,seen him several times in the last couple of days doing his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorkyLFC

That grey haired guy in his late 50s /early 60s who insults everyone he meets seems to have taken up residence on Oliver Plunket St ,seen him several times in the last couple of days doing his thing.

Verbally racist aswell, had a right go at a foreign family today who were minding their own business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

CorkyLFC wrote: »
    Verbally racist aswell, had a right go at a foreign family today who were minding their own business

Have seen him in action a few times.He hates everyone,including probably himself.

This cheeky fecker tried to give me that money for the bus spiel when I was on my way home tonight but I knew what was coming so said I was in a hurry and kept walking.He shouted a load of ****e after me.Tallish fella,early 30s with dark hair and wearing a leather jacket.Had a non specific Irish accent,East coast maybe but not Dublin.

Its an absolute farce at this stage, I was in Tesco in Paul St over the weekend, as I was leaving there was a number of "homeless men" queuing to use the coin counting machine. This is the machine that takes about 12c in every €1.
    My thought is what genuine homeless man would give up 12c in every €1?

Look at the clothes some of these people are wearing, they are decked out in a €100 tracksuit and €100 trainers.

Keep your money in your pocket people, and give to a registered legit charity not these scam artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

This cheeky fecker tried to give me that money for the bus spiel when I was on my way home tonight but I knew what was coming so said I was in a hurry and kept walking.He shouted a load of ****e after me.Tallish fella,early 30s with dark hair and wearing a leather jacket.Had a non specific Irish accent,East coast maybe but not Dublin.

Last week, by the GPO, there was a young guy giving a woman a hard time. I had my headphones on so didn't catch what was said but could tell by the body language. He'd given her some hard luck story as she was listening sympathetically but then shook her head when he put out his hand for money. He followed her up Pembroke Street being rather aggressive in manner and looked rather unhinged as he had a wild look on his face as he glared at everyone else on the street. As I passed downwind of him he smelled like he'd emptied an entire can of Lynx over himself. Tall, late teens or early twenties, sloppily dressed and with small red backpack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    Its an absolute farce at this stage, I was in Tesco in Paul St over the weekend, as I was leaving there was a number of "homeless men" queuing to use the coin counting machine. This is the machine that takes about 12c in every €1.
    My thought is what genuine homeless man would give up 12c in every €1?

Look at the clothes some of these people are wearing, they are decked out in a €100 tracksuit and €100 trainers.

Keep your money in your pocket people, and give to a registered legit charity not these scam artists.

Dealers don't take coins.
    You'll often see beggars changing money in shops too, but I guess most shops won't do this for most beggars.

Advertisement