Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graduate Salary

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

professore wrote: »
    BS. A great programmer might never have gone to college. On the other hand someone with a Ph.D in software engineering could be rubbish. It's all about natural talent, aptitude and hard work.

A great programmer might not have gone to college but the vast majority of them did. The exception does not prove the rule. And in 99% of cases someone with a Ph.D in software engineering will be a very competent programmer. Please explain to me how you can get a Ph.D without a reasonable level of talent, aptitude and hard work.

I always find people's comments about "natural talent" funny because it's always them who are gifted and slack off work-wise whereas everyone else is the modestly talented grafter who puts in big hours. According to everyone they are naturally gifted and have flair for their respective subject and most people who "seem" to be better than them are just extremely hard workers. Convenient right? It's never you or me who has to put in the hard graft because we haven't been gifted with talent, always the others. This applies in particular to fields like programming and algorithm development where being innovative actually can serve to cut your work load massively - and if you put your mind to it you'd show everyone how it's done. Right?

Advertisement