Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't do push ups?

• 09-08-2014 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone provide me with hints if I feel I can't do them? am watching youtube videos but have always struggled to do them, is there any hints that would make it easier?. I'm experiencing back pain recently, a lot is do with bad posture, could anyone offer advice? around push ups or posture ? is sleeping on my back (which I struggle to do) really better?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

If you are not contracting your core on the push ups, you may be hyperextending your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Push ups can be difficult for beginners so don't worry. If you back is sore then it is possible your core is in need of strengthening. You could also try starting with easy push-ups on your knees, then start with 1-2 pushups with good form and build on that daily by 1-2 more pushups. You will build up strength over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

am quite a good long distance runner, terrible posture though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

After a serious spinal cord injury and operations I couldn't do a single push up.

I started by standing about 2 feet from the wall and leaning forward to the wall into a push up position. When I could do 15 in this position with proper form, I started doing them on the stairs, feet on the floor in the hall. Eventually I was able to do them properly. Its a persistence thing - if you want it bad enough you will do it :)
    RE the core - I found "the Bridge" an excellent way to tackle this and it was a real revelation when I first noticed the benefits of a stronger core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi can anyone provide me with hints if I feel I can't do them? am watching youtube videos but have always struggled to do them, is there any hints that would make it easier?.

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056185716

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I couldn't do push ups when I just started them. Same with pull ups.

From what I gather from the reading I did, it's just that I hadn't used those muscles before.

I can do push ups and pull ups now. Getting to be able to do them came down to working my way up to doing them.

I started doing what I could... less than half of a push/pull up, then repeat that 3 times (during the day). Then get a good nights sleep. The body starts building you better muscles.

Next time, move up to half a push/pull up. Then three quarters. Then 1, then 2, etc.

If you feel like you can't move up to a new goal (like going from doing 1 push up to doing 2 push ups), then keep practising with the 1 push up (3 times a day) and after a week or two try doing the 2 then.

Nothing is instantaneous with the body and muscles but the body does built you better ones if you keep at it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can you do pushups that instead of your toes, rest on your knees? Or, if you have one, have your feet on an exercise ball. Do this myself in the gym, and find it better. Also maybe try do some planking to help build core strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

fix your mobility issues first, getting a push up is irrelevant if you are super tight and cant stay tight during a push up.

all the planks (hollow holds are better) in the world wont help if you cant and dont know how to hold a midline.

get working on passing all these tests and then work from there -

start your push ups from a box or step at at least hip level and work down from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am stuck at 50 push ups at the moment, have been for weeks, just can't push past it no matter what I try, not even to 51. This is after working my way up from 10 being a challenge, any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thargor wrote: »
    I am stuck at 50 push ups at the moment, have been for weeks, just can't push past it no matter what I try, not even to 51. This is after working my way up from 10 being a challenge, any tips?
    post a vid of your set of 50reps

tbh if you are doing 50 legit reps with CHEST to floor on all reps then it might be time to weight them or start working on getting your parallel bar dip numbers up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

It's elementary but how do I actually push up? the idea is to use arms to push my body up? I tend to be using my body to push my body up, not my arms, never had direct instruction, have watched videos. but still unsure what to do.

Is there a good way to lie in bed? back all sore....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's elementary but how do I actually push up? the idea is to use arms to push my body up? I tend to be using my body to push my body up, not my arms, never had direct instruction, have watched videos. but still unsure what to do.

Yup. At the most basic:
    • lie straight on the ground
    • have your legs together with your feet pointing downward
    • put the palm of each hand flat on the ground next to each shoulder
    • use your arms only to push your palms towards the ground and lift your body upwards
    • try to keep your body rigid and straight

This video looks like a decent intro:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I couldnt do a push up either. I have upper back issues and for years I just wasn't building myself up properly. I would squeeze out one bad one and my chest and armpits would be sore for two days like I'd do e a massive workout.

A number of steps helped. Build up my back. Clearly I couldn't do a pull up either but I worked my way up to it with a variety of exercises. An Osteo, a physio and convict conditioning helped here. I built up from wall push ups through tables, chairs and steps. Doing 45 full now.

Stretching. Even though I was generally weak I was only using those muscles that got sore andnot any other. Stretching my chest and foam rolling there stopped me overcompensating with those contracted muscles. It gave me more balance when moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

Start on your knees to get used to pushups and do build up your strength. You toes can be touch the ground and your back should be straight just like it is in a normal push up. Hands wide. And exaggerate sucking in your stomach to contract your core in order to protect your back. Keep your neck in line with your spine, so don't look up or back at your feet/knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikekady

Hi can anyone provide me with hints if I feel I can't do them? am watching youtube videos but have always struggled to do them, is there any hints that would make it easier?. I'm experiencing back pain recently, a lot is do with bad posture, could anyone offer advice? around push ups or posture ? is sleeping on my back (which I struggle to do) really better?

Thanks

Push ups are really difficult. What i can make out from your message is you want to workout and the exercise must not put strain on your back then you must watch the video on youtube for the plank 360 that will surely help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I started by standing about 2 feet from the wall and leaning forward to the wall into a push up position. When I could do 15 in this position with proper form, I started doing them on the stairs, feet on the floor in the hall. Eventually I was able to do them properly. Its a persistence thing - if you want it bad enough you will do it :)

This is a method a mate of mine used. Started against the wall, then the kitchen table then a chair and onto the floor. At the start he couldn't do a single pushup now he can do about 20. Takes a bit of persistence and practice.

Advertisement