Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne Sandyford Beacon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

ive been goin at lunch the last week and its been fine, few people around but theres enough machinery to get on whatever you want, excluding the chip up/dip machine, theres only one, its a bit crap anyway

say it could be a very different story in the evening though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 del23

Any personal trainers in this place? How to start with workouts? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Just signed up this week and have only been up a couple of times.

First time Monday afternoon before lunch and was very quiet, a few people wandered in nearer to lunchtime but I pretty much had the run of the place.

Went up last night at 7 just to gauge how busy it was at peak times. Lots more people around but still loads of cardio machines available upstairs. Weights area was almost empty in comparison.

I asked about a personal trainer and there is one available at €25 per hour. The fitness instructors on duty can also give you a free programme, it will be more generic but depending on your needs that could do just fine. If going with the free option maybe go in at a quiet time, they will have more time to give to you.

All in all impressed so far. Its nice and clean, has a decent selection of weights and plenty of cardio machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

does anybody know how busy it is between the hours of 5.30pm and 7pm?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

pretty busy, its the time i go every evening, but there's plenty of everything, so you're never waiting long periods, at most a couple of minutes if you're looking to use squat rack/smith machine.

In terms of cardio equipment, i've never had to wait for anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

I'm going to join here this weekend, so if anyone else is looking to join and save themselves €20, can you send me a pm.

€195 for 1 person.
    €175 each for 2 people joining together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I joined. After training in Raw since it opened (and Pinnacle before that), I thought I would hate the place but I must admit it's growing on me.

It is busy (as practically all gyms are) between 6 and 8 but there is plenty of machinery/racks/benches and I am yet to wait to use anything.

The one big tick in the 'against' box is the dumbells only go up to 30kg but this has just meant a tweak in what lifts I do.

I do miss training in Raw but at €150 for the year (I got the pre-Christmas deal) I couldn't afford not to join, especially taking into account it's only a minutes walk from my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Whats the general consensus on the gym then?? seem like its worth it??

Used to train in RAW myself also but beacon is so much handier!!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

It's certainly got busier srumball but I still haven't had to wait for anything (apart from someone finishing a couple of sets but you get that everywhere).

I don't mean to sound arrogant as I am aware we all had to start somewhere, myself included, but after training in Raw and Pinnacle it is strange being surrounded by so many 'Chest and Bi' people doing weights. The place is certainly less friendly than Raw (both staff and fellow members), there is no 'community' feel to it although I felt that has disappeared slightly in Raw as well recently.

To put it bluntly - Is it as good of a gym as Raw? No, absolutely not even close.
    Will you enjoy being a member as much as you (presumably) did in Raw? Again, no.
    Is it worth making these sacrifices for saving half your annual membership fee and having the gym 2 minutes walk from where you live? For me, yes.

I don't know what their stance is on letting people use the gym to try it out before they join but if they don't allow it, members can sign in a guest for a single session but it costs €10 per session. If you wanted to pay that to try it out, pm me and I can arrange to meet you some evening and sign you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Hey,

Thinking of joining and was wondering now that it's been open a few months how busy it is between 5 - 7pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

just joined this week myself from a different gym in the area. pleasently surprised. i go in the mornings though so cant really help ya out with 5 to 7, but the bird goes at that time the odd day and she says its busy but not manic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Location - South Dublin?

Yuup its a big ol place and I've no car, but I found the Postal club's fitness studio, small gym but I get classes included for 230 a year which is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

was in the gym for the first time in the evenings and it was very busy. didnt look too crazy, but i would imagine there might be some waiting around

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

Is it near the luas? and is there plenty of treadmills?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,143 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eimear10 wrote: »
    Is it near the luas? and is there plenty of treadmills?

Couple of minutes walk from the Stillorgan LUAS stop.

There is a long bank of treadmills downstairs and another few upstairs as well. Plenty of cardio machines in general from what I can see (don't use them myself).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Does anyone know what is listed On the email confirm if you join online?

Thinking about joining with the other half as its cheaper than two individual memberships, employer pays part of my gym cost but not sure how much they would reimburse if the invoice showed both names?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

sorry to bump this thread - just wanted to see what the opinions were on this - really only interested in using the treadmills between 6.30 and 8.......would I be waiting around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

cjmcork wrote: »
    sorry to bump this thread - just wanted to see what the opinions were on this - really only interested in using the treadmills between 6.30 and 8.......would I be waiting around?

To be honest, at those times you'll be fine. I'm rarely waiting around for anything - maybe the bikes on occasion but that's down to them only having 5!

ta very much - think I'm gonna pop up tonight to have a gander, and possibly even join!!!

ta very much - think I'm gonna pop up tonight to have a gander, and possibly even join!!!

Monday's the busiest day up there so you definitely wont see it any more packed than you will tonight!

• Advertisement

cool - ta, btw, if I only join tonight (I understand I have to do it online), will I be able to use the machines tonight or will I have to wait?

cool - ta, btw, if I only join tonight (I understand I have to do it online), will I be able to use the machines tonight or will I have to wait?

Would say you'll be good to go once you join. They take your pic and print your card there and then, so cant see why not

Take a look at some of the classes too, spinning in particular if you're into your cardio - great way to build up a routine and some momentum

jesus, picture! better not take off the ole make up before I head up there so!

jesus, picture! better not take off the ole make up before I head up there so!

Well, did you join in the end?

I did - they were really busy, but there were still a few treadmills available, so had a lash on that - the guys were very helpful I have to say, so no looking back now......aaahhh! thanks for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Thinking of joining tonight, just wondering what way the classes work? Thinking of pilates

the classes are free (well, they're part of your membership fee), members just start queuing 10 or so minutes before the class starts (depending on the popularity of the class obviously), but it's a great spot, I have to say that I do love it and would definitely recommend it

I know they have some special January offer at the moment http://www.bendunnegyms.com/sandyford.aspx

the classes are free (well, they're part of your membership fee), members just start queuing 10 or so minutes before the class starts (depending on the popularity of the class obviously), but it's a great spot, I have to say that I do love it and would definitely recommend it

I know they have some special January offer at the moment http://www.bendunnegyms.com/sandyford.aspx

Cheers and whats the story with fitness plans etc? Is that extra cost?

the guys will give you a training program, but if you want a personal trainer, it's 25 Euro an hour, I've seen them with clients and they do a serious lap of the floors, to be honest, if I could afford to do it, I'd have an hour with them once a week myself

the training program is free, as far as I'm aware

• Advertisement

the guys will give you a training program, but if you want a personal trainer, it's 25 Euro an hour, I've seen them with clients and they do a serious lap of the floors, to be honest, if I could afford to do it, I'd have an hour with them once a week myself

the training program is free, as far as I'm aware

Alright awesome, thanks for the help. Just joined up. Guessing the pilates is a busy class, gotta bite the bullet on that one!

Advertisement