Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Dunne Sandyford Beacon

Options
  • 01-12-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

The Ben Dunne gym in Sandyford is opening on the 27th of December according to a message found on the site, they are also accecpting registrations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Kevin! wrote: »
    The Ben Dunne gym in Sandyford is opening on the 27th of December according to a message found on the site, they are also accecpting registrations
    Had great experiences with the Jervis St. gym. Hard to beat for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

The Sandyford gym will be similar to the Liverpool gym as pictured on the website. So, if I'm right, there is one hall packed with a few running machines, freeweights etc. It looks like a typical hotel gym. And this is costing €175 a year?

It looks so bad and I cannot see it getting many of the TF Sandyford members who have not already signed up elsewhere. There aren't even any studio's for aerobics/spinning classes?? There doesn't seem to be any small sauna/jacuzzi area even? Oh dear, epic fail in my eyes.

Will have to continue to dream of somebody opening TF Sandyford again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I love the the Lucan Gym, ton's of equipment, big free weights section and all the equipment is new. Great price too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

the pictures dont look too bad, looks decent, i suppose not having pool etc is the reason for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Ben Dunnes is gonna be packed because it is so cheap and they have advertised well. I would rather be in BHAF gym which is just across the road for 250 a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Steelpony

I don't know if that gym will be all that well supported. I have joined at 175 Euro, but I think it was a big mistake. PARKING IS 2 EURO and HOUR. Depending on how often and how long you are in the gym it could very easily push your membership up to over 5 or 6 hundred Euro no problem. I have a motorbike, maybe I could sneak in on the footpath !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Parking is free for 2 hours.
    €2 per hour there after

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Seriously? You are expected to pay for parking? I am sure there is somewhere within reasonable walking distance where you could park for free? Was waiting for this place to open but if parking is an extra I am out!

As far as I know that is the deal, unless the gym has a concession. I would normally attend for 3 hours 3 times a week, that adds up to 300 Euro a year minimum extra. Don't know if I can get my money back, but if I could I would.
    Yes the first 2 hours is free.

On street parking is 1 Euro per hour, am going to check out the motorbike option. Also a mate of mine knows a guy that owns a business not too far away, about 200 Mtrs, and he is going to see if he will let me park there.

• Advertisement

Steelpony wrote: »
    As far as I know that is the deal, unless the gym has a concession. I would normally attend for 3 hours 3 times a week, that adds up to 300 Euro a year minimum extra. Don't know if I can get my money back, but if I could I would.
    Yes the first 2 hours is free.

3 hours in the gym?
    Are you serious?
    What do you do in 3 hours that you couldn't do in 2?

I do an hour on the treadmill, Half and hour on the cross trainer and half an hour weights minimum the shower etc. that's pushing on for 3 hours when you take dressing and undressing etc. into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

3 hours in the gym?
    Are you serious?
    What do you do in 3 hours that you couldn't do in 2?
    that you couldnt do in 45mins!!

Transform wrote: »
    that you couldnt do in 45mins!!

Agreed.
    You should be "working" during a workout.
    Not jogging idly on a treadmill for 60 mins followed by 30 mins of the same on a cross trainer and then 30 mins weights.

Incorporate weights into all facets of your training. Get more work done in less time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

Steelpony wrote: »
    I do an hour on the treadmill, Half and hour on the cross trainer and half an hour weights minimum the shower etc. that's pushing on for 3 hours when you take dressing and undressing etc. into account.

You could run there and back home again saving you upto an hour :P

That sounds good to me, mwill look up a routine to try and incorporate the weights into my workout. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

went to the open day today, nice enough gym has all the basics - one thing that seemed strange though is the dumbells only go up to 30KG and I asked one of the staff why so and he said its to prevent people joining who use steroids?

thought that was a bit of a joke considering 30kg dumbell isint alot for certain exercises & the fact that they have barbells and plenty of plates so its just stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 8 manhattan

mollser wrote: »
    The Sandyford gym will be similar to the Liverpool gym as pictured on the website. So, if I'm right, there is one hall packed with a few running machines, freeweights etc. It looks like a typical hotel gym. And this is costing €175 a year?

It looks so bad and I cannot see it getting many of the TF Sandyford members who have not already signed up elsewhere. There aren't even any studio's for aerobics/spinning classes?? There doesn't seem to be any small sauna/jacuzzi area even? Oh dear, epic fail in my eyes.

Will have to continue to dream of somebody opening TF Sandyford again!

Eh...I was there today and there is a studio as a matter of fact. It's not like a hotel gym at all. There are ample amounts of machines, benches, dumbbells. Also a light weights area upstairs, (beside the Studio:)) True, no sauna/jacuzzi but for €175 per year, turn the heat up at home and have a fart in the bathtub!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

Kevin! wrote: »
    went to the open day today, nice enough gym has all the basics - one thing that seemed strange though is the dumbells only go up to 30KG and I asked one of the staff why so and he said its to prevent people joining who use steroids?

thought that was a bit of a joke considering 30kg dumbell isint alot for certain exercises & the fact that they have barbells and plenty of plates so its just stupid

Is this true? bit odd? i use 35's exercising my c**k, thats just crap !!

manhattan wrote: »
    Eh...I was there today and there is a studio as a matter of fact. It's not like a hotel gym at all. There are ample amounts of machines, benches, dumbbells. Also a light weights area upstairs, (beside the Studio:)) True, no sauna/jacuzzi but for €175 per year, turn the heat up at home and have a fart in the bathtub!
    Had a look at it myself, it looks fine to me, will give it a go for the year and see if Total Fitness opens up again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I wish there was a Ben Dunne gym here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

poked my head in the door on the viewing day on Sunday and I was pleasantly surprised.

As a TF Sandyford member who hasn't signed up for an alternative gym since it shut (still mourning the loss!) I will be signing up.

Pros
    - Very good selection of equipment and lots of it.
    - Bigger than I thought it would be - studio upstairs is massive.

Cons
    - No pool/sauna - not a deal breaker - especially for the price.
    - Weights section could be better. Serious lifters prob won't go near the place.

Even in the midst of a recession I'd say this place will do very well given there is still pent up demand since TF Sandyford closed and given the thousands who work in the industrial estate.

For those banging on about the parking charge - relax - there's 2 hours free parking - I think that's plenty for your typical gym user. If you're going for longer than 3 hours why don't you get on your feckin bike or get the runners out and jog there instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

As someone looking to do the Starting Strength programme, would this gym be a decent alternative over the likes of Raw? I'm bottom of the rung when it comes to weight training so I'm not sure what one would offer over the other, really. Price and proximity are turning my head... The Beacon's a 5 minute cycle away, and would be dead handy if you fine knowledgeable folks don't see any reason to give Raw the nod over it.

Can't help you with the weights, I just do cardio, must try the weights sometime.
    Will give the gym a try next week when everyone is back at work in the meantime I have a 12 visit free trial card for 1 Escape valid up to 31st December. It is a very nice gym but very expensive @ 80-00 Euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

was up there today, very impressed with the place, its huge, loads of equipment

Went up to the Gym for the first time today and was very impressed. Lots of equipment, and lots of space, glad I joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Anyone know if there's a spot to do pull-ups in the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

saa wrote: »
    I wish there was a Ben Dunne gym here :(

Location - South Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Lanterrrn wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a spot to do pull-ups in the gym?

I joined the other day, good so far but there's a lot of people joining each day wondering how busy it will get.

As for pull ups haven't had a good scout around but there was one of those pull up machines that you put your kness on and weights help you pull up. sure you can disable the weights and go normal pull ups, at least you could on the one up in TF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

I know its only opened like a week now, but any word on how busy it is?

I was a member in Northwood for years but had to leave because the place got WAAAAY to full, couldnt fit in the place. Please got full of, well, jersey shore and steroid heads so chuffed to hear its limited to 30kg. I think it'll attract way more customer than it'll turn away. Gets rid of that whole 'hardcore' image which turns women and adverage blokes off.

Worked in Sandyford for years (some hidden free parking on bracken road after 5pm, pm me if you wanna know where) so I know the clientele would be way better too.

Advertisement