Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Entered 'Tough Mudder'.. now what? : )

Options
  • 23-01-2014 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

actually me bro entered me without even asking me so now I've no choice : )

anyone who doesn't know what it is
    http://toughmudder.co.uk/events/dublin-2014/

so... anyone have any clue what type of thing I should do in training to prepare for this mad race?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as you may be in fact saving a life!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I have also signed up for it (to do with my brother as well).

Don't intend doing any specific training and just intend on enjoying the day :cool:

(Bookmark for a few months when I come back to say I wish I'd done some specific training)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Is it very different from Hell and Back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I always have great intentions to join in one of these, then I see the price list and nearly have a heart attack, as I suffer so badly from the shock, I cant enter then.
    You think rather than jacking up the prices for late entry, presumably to encourage people to book early, which I can understand as they need to know how many will attend, but that they would be trying to get as many people to book at the end too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Is it very different from Hell and Back?

Pretty much the same ? maybe some different obstacles , monkey bars etc

papu wrote: »
    Pretty much the same ? maybe some different obstacles , monkey bars etc

Here's a list of obstacles but I'm not sure if they all feature in each race.

http://toughmudder.co.uk/obstacles/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

link_2007 wrote: »
    Here's a list of obstacles but I'm not sure if they all feature in each race.

http://toughmudder.co.uk/obstacles/

Seems like heaps of different obstacles then! ,might give it a shot , Is a bit pricey though

papu wrote: »
    Seems like heaps of different obstacles then! ,might give it a shot , Is a bit pricey though

Yea it is expensive - I booked before Christmas when it was slightly cheaper as they increase the entry price every month or two so if you're definitely going to do it, you're better off booking asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Think i'll consider it until the time comes until the price gets prohibitively high and I can feel justified in not doing it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 111 ✭✭SPS1

It would not surprise me if this semi-"race" is popular, that it will turn into, jogging between the obstacle barriers & queing up for your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I booked hell and back with 3 friends, cost 35e each.

Not really my cup of tea but could be a bit of a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jargarbo

I have booked this long time ago... still haven't met anyone doing their training or people going till I came across boards.ie hopefully we can create a group and build up the intensity. create some alliance that we will need on the day of the race. hope people who joined tough mudder will come across this and organize something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Make sure to wear the t-shirt to the gym as much as possible when you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

SPS1 wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if this semi-"race" is popular, that it will turn into, jogging between the obstacle barriers & queing up for your turn.

Yeah, that's what gets me about these things. People I know who can jog about 5km and then do hell and back, how ****ing easy must it be.

so... anyone have any clue what type of thing I should do in training to prepare for this mad race?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as you may be in fact saving a life!

Make sure you can jog a few hundred metres, if you smoke cut down to around a pack a day and work overtime so your wallet is bulked up when the final payment is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I've entered Tough Mudder with a team...can't believe it's only two weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

I've entered Tough Mudder with a team...can't believe it's only two weeks away.

ya i only realised how close it is a few days ago really should have started running before i did not ready at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Make sure you can jog a few hundred metres, if you smoke cut down to around a pack a day and work overtime so your wallet is bulked up when the final payment is due.

Oh yeah, how dare these people get out there, exercise and enjoy themselves while doing it? It´s pathetic really, isn´t it? They should all whinge on the internet instead like you.

sweetthing wrote: »
    Oh yeah, how dare these people get out there, exercise and enjoy themselves while doing it? It´s pathetic really, isn´t it? They should all whinge on the internet instead like you.

If your idea of enjoyment is paying an extortionate fee to spend your day jogging 100 metres, queuing behind 50 people to dunk into a cold pool of water then climbing out to jog another 50 metres just to join another queue that's formed around a 4 foot wall then more power to you.

There's not a whole lot of exercise involved, there's not a whole of enjoyment to be had.

And there is loads of enjoyment to be had. Not for everyone I'm sure, but I've done a few events like these and loved them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

If your idea of enjoyment is paying an extortionate fee to spend your day jogging 100 metres, queuing behind 50 people to dunk into a cold pool of water then climbing out to jog another 50 metres just to join another queue that's formed around a 4 foot wall then more power to you.

There's not a whole lot of exercise involved, there's not a whole of enjoyment to be had.

I did it last year and it was brilliant! Didn't have to wait at any obstacles. Plenty of exercise involved.

• Advertisement

I did it last year and it was brilliant! Didn't have to wait at any obstacles. Plenty of exercise involved.

Yay! Can't wait :)

Well worth the wait. I'll be back next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Well worth the wait. I'll be back next year!

Good god that was tough

So proud of myself and my team

We kept each other laughing as much as possible ... Singing stupid songs etc it was gas and very hard but the thing that stood out for me was the mental side of it. You had to find some kind of inner strength to draw upon at various times to get through it and everybody helped each other so much its very much a tribal thing ...pulling people up on to obstacles and standing on peoples shoulders and heads to get over things . such an amazing experience I'll never forget it!

Hardest part for me by far was going under the tyres in the ice pool. I hesitated and my body was shutting down too fast and if im honest I only took a breath and did it coz a girl working there roared at me 'you'll be fine do it now do it!' I can't thank her enough for getting me to do it.

I completed every obstacle and even got the whole way through Hang Tough so I'm delighted but it isn't about time or perfection its a mad mental muddy cold journey to hell and back and once you pass half way theres nothing can make you quit! Brilliant brilliant brilliant everybody reading this who hasnt done it should start training this year for next years race and do it, you'll be so satisfied and you'll be buzzing for days and weeks from having gotten through it. Its one if those things - its in your mental bank account for life once you complete it you know you've got that strength to finish something you started and I for one needed that boost right now!

Could not recommend it more.. 40% physical 60% mental I'd say. I saw 7 stone girls in early twenties with no experience of endurance races complete this thing ... Its so possible believe me. It is tough but we wouldn't do it if it wwasnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Great event. As alway's very well organised from tough mudder. The stewards were great and it was a lot of fun on the grounds after. It's a pity I didn't do the Saturday as it was a lot busier and I could have had a few drinks after.

The course was easier than I expected. No walk the plank, Electric Eel, No big hill climbs. The course was flat as a pancake. I spoke with one of the TM stewards after and he said they had huge problems with insurance on the course. They couldn't get a lot of the bigger TM obstacles cleared for insurance purposes. It was still enjoyable to do a "Fast" course. The rings/monkey bars (it's evil brother) always get me! only 13 people did the rings yesterday.

I'm looking forward to their return next year.

Advertisement