Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

when to stop heart rate monitor

• 13-08-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭

When I work out I am using a heart rate monitor to track how hard I am working and calories being burned during my workouts. My question is though when should I stop the heart rate monitor. Is it when I finish the workout or is it when my heart goes back to normal levels?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

When you finish the workout.

....and if you want a really accurate result, just say you worked out for an hour, minus the amount of calories you burn in an hour just sitting down from the amount you burned when you worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

When you finish the workout.

....and if you want a really accurate result, just say you worked out for an hour, minus the amount of calories you burn in an hour just sitting down from the amount you burned when you worked out.

Never thought of that :o

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

It will make a negligible difference. And the calories burned even on a HRM are not always accurate so I hope you are not doing this in an effort to be able to eat more "earned" calories :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

conzy wrote: »
    It will make a negligible difference. And the calories burned even on a HRM are not always accurate so I hope you are not doing this in an effort to be able to eat more "earned" calories :P

Em are you telling me 158533 calories I burned doing lunges do not count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Nah I don't eat them, just like seeing the numbers. I'm a nerd :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is that not the reason for working out so that you can eat earned calories. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A HRM that uses the 'firstbeat' algorithm and is configured with correct weight and max HR (not 220-age) should be very very close to correct.

Edit: for cardio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mloc123 wrote: »
    A HRM that uses the 'firstbeat' algorithm and is configured with correct weight and max HR (not 220-age) should be very very close to correct.

Edit: for cardio
    If its configured with actual Max HR then it should be pretty accurate.
    But most people are jsut using it out of the box with 220-age.

I've never done a MHR test, but I'd be pretty sure my max is > 220-age. So for me, my HRM is probably overestimating calories.

Advertisement