Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Zyzz wrote: »
    Anyone order off bike-discount.de? What sort of shipping times do they have?

My only experience...ordered on a Tuesday, shipped on the Thursday, arrived first thing Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0827/639694-road-safety/
    The Road Safety Authority has urged parents, guardians and teachers to make road safety a priority, as children prepare for the new school term.

...It is distributing more than 300,000 high-visibility vests to pupils starting the new school term this week.

Hi-viz, the solution to all of life's problems, according to the RSA. I can't believe how angry this makes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

buffalo wrote: »

Hi-viz, the solution to all of life's problems, according to the RSA. I can't believe how angry this makes me.

thats ok we can blame the child and parents if they aren't wearing high viz

had people say they cant see me in the winter as i don't wear high viz despite reflective bits on the bike and panniers 3 rear lights and two magicshines on the front !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't worry. I had trouble with baby-seat for the bike this morning so I carried the young lad in one arm whilst I cycled. Not a piece of high-vis was anywhere to be seen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Might have been safer if you'd let the little fella steer, given the amount of spills you've been having recently.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can't believe how angry this makes me.
    may I suggest a letter to the Irish Times ....;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Raam wrote: »
    Don't worry. I had trouble with baby-seat for the bike this morning so I carried the young lad in one arm whilst I cycled. Not a piece of high-vis was anywhere to be seen.

If you don't get some high-vis on soon you may well burst into flames…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There was a creche across the road to my old office, which was right next to the Ivy Gardens. They used to make all the kids don high viz vests for the walk down the footpath and into the park (which has no vehicular traffic whatsoever). Seeing this made me realise the world had gone high-viz mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

There was a creche across the road to my old office, which was right next to the Ivy Gardens. They used to make all the kids don high viz vests for the walk down the footpath and into the park (which has no vehicular traffic whatsoever). Seeing this made me realise the world had gone high-viz mad.

To be fair that may have been more for the benefit of those in charge of the kids, to make it easier for them to keep an eye on the kids, rather than for Health and safety reasons.

Might have been safer if you'd let the little fella steer, given the amount of spills you've been having recently.

I only fall when I go off-road :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

lgk wrote: »
    My only experience...ordered on a Tuesday, shipped on the Thursday, arrived first thing Monday morning.

Ordered a Pair of shimano r501 wheels from them about this time last year - took a while to ship and got them 2 weeks after ordering. Was happy with the price but follow up emails from me went unanswered.

My 7 year old sons first hike with the beavers was through a local park near us - mostly green fields and bushes, miles away from the road. All had to don hi-vis.

I work near merrion square and throngs of school kids come in organised groups - mostly with hivis on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Hi Viz aren't be just for cyclists.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Hi Viz aren't be just for cyclists.

Are you telling me that the RSA have finally seen sense, and are advising that all cars be draped in giant hi-viz vests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

WHAT must the tourists think.

I find myself saying that quite a lot, actually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are you telling me that the RSA have finally seen sense, and are advising that all cars be draped in giant hi-viz vests?

No, just the people in the car :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The RSA are just trying to help with the shortage of construction experts. Get them into hi-viz early enough...

What happens when everyone is wearing hi-viz? Will those without stand out more, and there'll be a reverse swing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i want to go out for a cycle now, but that's a prick of an evening for a 'leisure' activity.

Never thought if that. "Sorry bud couldn't pick you out amongst the sea of hivis"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I see chain reaction are having a sale on tyres anyone recommend any from the ones in the sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I see chain reaction are having a sale on tyres anyone recommend any from the ones in the sale?

If you don't mind slicks, the Vittoria Rubino Pro IIIs sound like a good deal at 18.99 each. May not be ideal going into winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What's the opposite of a KOM - I'm fairly sure I'll be a contender for whatever it is on the way home :pac:

QOF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Bought an apartment in Dublin a few months back. Found out today that the new Avoca coffee shop and restaurant is opening up about 400meters up the road.
    The Milf quotient in the neighbourhood is quite literally going to go through the ceiling. This can only be good for property values.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Quite literally? Is that hope or delusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Never thought if that. "Sorry bud couldn't pick you out amongst the sea of hivis"

THere were two UK cases over the past year where the judge suggested that hi-vis was contributory factor in somebody being hit by a car. Both were on bright summer's days, one was a cyclist and one a pedestrian, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Cycling World Illustrated; I don't have time to read it all - if there are mentions of Mecredy, the Walkers or Du Cros, do tell:

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/magazines/1890s/1896-cycle-world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

thats ok we can blame the child and parents if they aren't wearing high viz

had people say they cant see me in the winter as i don't wear high viz despite reflective bits on the bike and panniers 3 rear lights and two magicshines on the front !
    Somewhat similar experience myself. The persons in question slowed down a good bit behind me, overtook me carefully and then told me they couldn't see me.

The RSA are just trying to help with the shortage of construction experts. Get them into hi-viz early enough...

What happens when everyone is wearing hi-viz? Will those without stand out more, and there'll be a reverse swing?
    214292.jpg

You decide.

RainyDay wrote: »
    THere were two UK cases over the past year where the judge suggested that hi-vis was contributory factor in somebody being hit by a car. Both were on bright summer's days, one was a cyclist and one a pedestrian, iirc.
    There was a case with a lollipop man where mandatory hiviz workplace apparel was partly sort-of blamed.
    “An accident investigator, who visited the crash scene, experienced how the bright sun had the effect of ‘blending in’ with the colour of a colleague’s high visibility jacket, similar to that worn by Mr Elsmore at the time of the accident.”
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24905080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

ROK ON wrote: »
    Bought an apartment in Dublin a few months back. Found out today that the new Avoca coffee shop and restaurant is opening up about 400meters up the road.
    The Milf quotient in the neighbourhood is quite literally going to go through the ceiling. This can only be good for property values.:D

Pics?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I swear I have bloody seen it all now.
    M50 North bound between Junction 8 and 7.
    Riding along not a bother a bearded hippy/ hipster on his bike in the emergency lane.
    Not even a helmet on his head.
    Jesus Wept.
    The busiest road in the country. Death awaits you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Shut up and take my money 💵

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/children-and-road-safety-1.1911027

Good man Ossian! He's got my vote, he's fixing the road on a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my first SPD pedals, and shoes on Wednesday evening, fitted them and decided my first outing should be my 11km commute through Dublin city center on Thursday! Baptism of fire! Love them already, especially in the rain this morning. Not having to worry about slipping off the pedals when it rains is a relief, and of course being able to put the power down is great! Glad I finally took the plunge :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There was a case with a lollipop man where mandatory hiviz workplace apparel was partly sort-of blamed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24905080

Yep, that was one of the cases I saw - the other related to a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Didn't know the air force had fighter jets here. When the pair flew over Dublin today it kind of reminded me of my childhood, living just 40km from a target practice area for fighters and fighter/bombers. Only the sonic boom was missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they were USAF f16s flying over croke park for the american football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Well, no sonic boom but close enough. Many car alarms on my street went off.

Scary stuff, especially as I was listening to a quite pessimistic podcast on the current situation in Eastern Europe.... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Didn't know the air force had fighter jets here. When the pair flew over Dublin today it kind of reminded me of my childhood, living just 40km from a target practice area for fighters and fighter/bombers. Only the sonic boom was missing.

For some reason my posts are on a ridiculous time delay. Thanks 02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

Welcome back to the cycling forum, where've you been?
    (You know it's 2025, right?)

CPL 593H

what the hell do people do about earworms while out cycling? was out for an hour and ten minutes earlier and had the theme music from 'cities of gold' (the 80s cartoon) stuck in my head for most of it; only interrupted when i was joined for a few KM by a nice chap from portmarnock.

what the hell do people do about earworms while out cycling? was out for an hour and ten minutes earlier and had the theme music from 'cities of gold' (the 80s cartoon) stuck in my head for most of it; only interrupted when i was joined for a few KM by a nice chap from portmarnock.

I switch it for this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

We are searching for the ci-ii-it-ty of gold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

We are searching for the ci-ii-it-ty of gold!

Oh, no. No. No.....

Thanks guys. Too late. :( Barstewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So sometime in the period since I taught her how to ride a bicycle my wife has picked up the terrible (Road Safety Authority approved ) habit of sitting starts on her borrowed learner hybrid and is therefore completely unable to get to grips with a standing start on a road frame(the Wifenbike I'd built up).

Two attempts at getting going and she was in a panic so I told her not to worry and rolled out the borrowed undersized Hybrid...

I am so profoundly bummed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If you find the answer please share. I've had "I sat by the ocean" running along in my head for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

If you find the answer please share. I've had "I sat by the ocean" running along in my head for weeks.

Try having scorpions rock you like a hurricane every time you hit a hill. It's impossible to not scream it out and that makes breathing rather difficult!
    Could be worse is guess: accept's London leatherboys would be a lot more conspicuous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

slap/dash wrote: »
    Try having scorpions rock you like a hurricane every time you hit a hill. It's impossible to not scream it out and that makes breathing rather difficult!
    Could be worse is guess: accept's London leatherboys would be a lot more conspicuous

Balls to the wall man, balls to the wall.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

furiousox wrote: »
    Balls to the wall man, balls to the wall.

Same record. I save 'screamin for a lovebite' for d'aul single speed around o'deveany gardens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement