Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Chinese are Quick Learners (2013)

Options
  • 01-01-2013 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Chinese cars available in central Europe so far haven't exactly set the world on fire in the styling, quality and, in particular, safety department. Infact they've set the bar pretty low in quality terms and worryingly low from a safety aspect. This Qoros brand seems to be aiming higher though. Part owned by Chery, they've obviously realized that trying to sell an existing Chinese brand just wont cut it in more discerning markets. It'll be interesting to see market reaction to the brand.

It will also be interesting to see if the attempted strategic placing of the product slightly higher up the food chain, rather than just a cheap Chinese product, will actually work!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Qoros-GQ3-2013-first-official-pictures/

qoros_gq3_teaser_01_1-1224.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Looks like they cloned a Passat. Could be popular based on looks alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

This is what I think.......

CL_6fbb4444f256476.jpg

squod wrote: »
    This is what I think.......

CL_6fbb4444f256476.jpg

Tbh I want to mock them myself. Nothing I've seen from China so far impresses me although it does excite me, being a car nut, at the thoughts of so many potentialy new brands and models turning up in the future.

It's hard to knock this brand (so far) as easily. Outside investment , both financial and intellectual, and a very carefully crafted image from the off. Heavy European influence in the design and manufacturing end of things.

Maybe I'm being sold the line, maybe they will just be shiote when they get here. I just don't think so though. Sure they won't have the established brands worried just yet but I don't think they'll be junk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

If they are 1.7 / 1.8 diesel, Sub 20k euro, decent interior then they'll sell like hot cakes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Unfortunately China has a reputation for cheap, shit knock offs.
    I think they're gonna have to work hard to shed that image.

Lets hope this dosent come on a set of Doublestar tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Tbh I want to mock them myself. Nothing I've seen from China so far impresses me although it does excite me, being a car nut, at the thoughts of so many potentialy new brands and models turning up in the future.

It's hard to knock this brand (so far) as easily. Outside investment , both financial and intellectual, and a very carefully crafted image from the off. Heavy European influence in the design and manufacturing end of things.

Maybe I'm being sold the line, maybe they will just be shiote when they get here. I just don't think so though. Sure they won't have the established brands worried just yet but I don't think they'll be junk either.

Would like to see a decent review. Wonder if smokerspack (YOUtuber) will get hold of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

corglass wrote: »
    If they are 1.7 / 1.8 diesel, Sub 20k euro, decent interior then they'll sell like hot cakes

Badge snobbery will disappear very quick if this is the case

dgt wrote: »

Badge snobbery will disappear very quick if this is the case

Brands like this from China are going to further widen the gap between ordinary car and premium brand. Why buy a 25k focus when you can have it all for 15-16 ish from China or a little over 30 for the like sized, albeit lower spec Audi.

Renault / Nissan are ahead of the curve here in rescuing lost custom with their Dacia / Datsun strategy world wide, products that compete and in many ways better what China has to offer. VW are said to be looking into a sub brand aswell.

What's interesting about this particular Chinese brand is that they're not trying to portrait themselves as cut price or discount. It would appear they're going full on for the middle ground that's being lost daily by middle of the road brands. Brave strategy if that is the case given the hemorrhage of sales in that sector across Europe at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Saab Ed wrote: »
    VW are said to be looking into a sub brand aswell.

Must. Not. Make. Joke.....

• Advertisement

Must. Not. Make. Joke.....

Don't .......

But seriously, they're are looking at creating a marque below Seat & Skodas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

corglass wrote: »

Decent interior?! All they'll need is a CD player and air-con and they'll be touted as having "all the extras"!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Heroditas wrote: »

Decent interior?! All they'll need is a CD player and air-con and they'll be touted as having "all the extras"!

Alloys , pleather seats , a sunroof and it would be called "full spec"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Heroditas wrote: »

Put in 4 electric windows and they'd be ahead of the junk Toyota sell here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Are we sure this is an actual car, and not a Passat clone that is actually a windup clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Stinicker, Had you a bad experience witha toyota. Get over toyota.

Needles73 wrote: »
    Stinicker, Had you a bad experience witha toyota. Get over toyota.

Yes, they are overpriced, underspecc'd junk, and every 2nd idiot thinks they are great. Plus I was very nearly killed in one of them because they have such a feather light clutch. You couldn't ask for a worse car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Stinicker wrote: »
    Plus I was very nearly killed in one of them because they have such a feather light clutch.

Please tell us more

I see from previous posts that you've always driven automatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plus I was very nearly killed in one of them because they have such a feather light clutch.
    How did the clutch nearly kill you?
    Cungi wrote: »
    Unfortunately China has a reputation for cheap, shit knock offs.
    I think they're gonna have to work hard to shed that image.
    This. Until China shows it can produce cars whose owners survive car crashes, most people won't touch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Like to see what it gets in the ncap tests. ;)

• Advertisement

It wasn't long ago when the Koreans were selling old tech cars, back then ncap wasn't really that big.
    If they're building a car to sell outside china then they're wasting their time not making it to European standards.

The mg6 got 4 stars so its not out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Put in 4 electric windows and they'd be ahead of the junk Toyota sell here.

??:confused:

megafan wrote: »
    ??:confused:

Toyota's do not come with 4 electric windows as standard. It is 2013 and they still have windup windows in the back! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Toyota's do not come with 4 electric windows as standard. It is 2013 and they still have windup windows in the back! :eek:
    Which is great for families that have kids; less chance of accidental chockage.

the_syco wrote: »
    Which is great for families that have kids; less chance of accidental chockage.

To be fair, with electric windows you can switch the back ones off.

I'd never measure how good a car is by how the back windows go up and down on the base model.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Japanese manufacturers like toyota copied european technology and greatly improved it. Some of the early toyota engines share the same geometery of the ford bda engines... Same with korean manufacturers are now repected.
    I dont see why China wont do the same in time. As rergards current toyotas i think they have been surpassed somewhat by Kia/hyundai but i dont mind admitting i see merit in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Blame the Irish VRT system, not Toyota, who, despite a few high profile recalls, have consistently put out reliable and safe motoring, if a bit bland.

As for the Chinese brands, I reckon give it another 5 years and they'll be doing more than Hyundai and Kia are at the minute. The vastness of the money being poured into the industry there beggars belief. They are taking 5year old Japanese and Euro designs and using this to build a brand awareness.
    This is one example.. Toyota Hilux Surf anyone??? http://auto.sibnet.ru/catalog/great_wall/suv_g5/

Watch this space....

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Wouldn't dismiss Toyota's because of recalls if only a few other car marques could follow example rather than try & hide faults!

& Do expect China will in time wipe the floor with reasonable quality motors.... but maybe for the moment have enough problems supplying demand from their own home market!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, they are overpriced, underspecc'd junk, and every 2nd idiot thinks they are great. Plus I was very nearly killed in one of them because they have such a feather light clutch. You couldn't ask for a worse car imo.

You pretty much described most VWs there too.

You obviously haven't been in an Irish spec Audi A4 upto 2008 then, a so called premium car with rear windup windows. Lots of brand new entry level cars from European manufacturers have only front electric windows too, the Golf, Focus, Astra, Insignia, Mondeo, etc all come to mind, going by your definition that makes them junk too or does it only apply to Japanese cars in your eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Looks like they have taken the windscreen from a megane II and the grill from a Laguna II.

Advertisement