Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Current Used Car Values.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... I expect motor tax rates for 08 cars on to increase.

They did, were you asleep for budget 2012. :P

..... BIG increases expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

kceire wrote: »
    Isint this why some main delaers are advertising, looking to buy your car?
    Joe Duffy BMW have been running an ad all week in the papers looking for under 5 year old cars with less than 100k (km) on them.

I rang about my E90 318d MSport, 2007 with 52,000KM and full history and he wanted to view it straight away. I thought, maybe its only against a trade in or similar and he said no, we will buy straight out if its what we want.

This is merely a ploy to get you in the door tbh, they'll first give you a shocking price for your own car or get you to trade up !! There is no shortage of used cars especially Audi/BMW/Merc's etc around the country with less than 100km's given that these were the most popular cars sold during 06/07/08.
    As for Donedeal, yes their is some rubbish for sale but thats not a bad thing either, its a bargaining tool when buying but crap when selling

..... BIG increases expected

Who said?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

vectra wrote: »
    Who said?

It's not always what they say in the budget. It's the slow drip of information that follows the few days after, but I do remember after Budget 2011 they strongly suggested it was going to be targeted this time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Defo, they'll do it incrementally. So they've increased the 08+ rates by 60% odd, next time they'll increase the same rates by the same percent and so on and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Agreed but there is still a natural difference in valuation between a '07 model and a '08, so if one has the urge for a '08 and the funding,why go for a ;07 just because it is cheaper?
    That being the logic why not buy a '98 low mileage car then?

Good idea, might buy an older car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Agreed but there is still a natural difference in valuation between a '07 model and a '08, so if one has the urge for a '08 and the funding,why go for a ;07 just because it is cheaper?
    Because 1 or 2 years tax can outweigh the savings if everything else is equal :) The price difference isn't as big as people think........high price = high trade in price..................low price=low trade in price

As said earlier I've been looking and I haven't based my search on age but the tax difference isn't the issue.....it's finding a good used car with genuine mileage is the problem.

I've been searching and my mechanic has inspected 3 well minded* low mileage* cars this week.

Two were clocked and one was crashed badly previously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Whats a mint never crashed 08 Passat 2l tdi Se UK import worth cash with 75000miles on the clock?

I personally doubt the pubtalk of 08 cars being worth substantially more than 07. Reason is 08 cars arent worth a penny more in the UK than the natural year variation and UK used imports are potentially unlimited so it will always balance the prices here. They are better looked after and driven on better roads with more verifiable history so are naturally better cars if it wasnt for the inconvenience of importing which even that isnt very much as Belfast is just a short spin up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

dgt wrote: »
    When selling my old car, I had the ad up on donedeal with appropiate photos, appropiate information and the right wording. The phone was hopping mad and I sold the car in under 2 hours! :eek:

Feck, found the ad! :eek:

Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Senna wrote: »
    If you want to buy a big engined petrol car with all the goodies, its a great time to be buying;)

Yup. I'm on the lookout for a quick petrol engined car. Wouldn't mind getting a nice 325CI. I need to buy fairly quick though so it depends on what's out there.

lomb wrote: »
    Whats a mint never crashed 08 Passat 2l tdi Se UK import worth cash with 75000miles on the clock?

I wouldn't take a Passat for free! Never ending problems with the control module getting wet. Worst thing about it is VW know it is a design fault but won't recall the cars.

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9412&sid=7a7ed88fca35dd4d85e81c0c7a55d3d3

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Because 1 or 2 years tax can outweigh the savings if everything else is equal :) The price difference isn't as big as people think........high price = high trade in price..................low price=low trade in price

As said earlier I've been looking and I haven't based my search on age but the tax difference isn't the issue.....it's finding a good used car with genuine mileage is the problem.

I've been searching and my mechanic has inspected 3 well minded* low mileage* cars this week.

Two were clocked and one was crashed badly previously :rolleyes:

All very fine but then when changing time comes again you will get a better price for your newer car so therefore making better sense from the off to buy newer.
    Which as you say you are finding it hard to find a modern well minded car with low miles?
    Save your cash until September and buy mine..
    EPM saw it this morning and would vouch for how clean it is :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

All very fine but then when changing time comes again you will get a better price for your newer car so therefore making better sense from the off to buy newer.
    Which as you say you are finding it hard to find a modern well minded car with low miles?
    Save your cash until September and buy mine..
    EPM saw it this morning and would vouch for how clean it is :P
    This is true too, although tbh whatever I buy I'll be holding until there is mega miles on it so therefore it will be worth f all anyway.

I think my car purchasing is a little more urgent then September. I've a deal struck for my own car with my mechanic if I buy from him. He has been given a long list of two cars and a budget. And a few week or until my car spits it's dummy to get me some new metal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

yourpics wrote: »
    I wouldn't take a Passat for free! Never ending problems with the control module getting wet. Worst thing about it is VW know it is a design fault but won't recall the cars.

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9412&sid=7a7ed88fca35dd4d85e81c0c7a55d3d3

Wasn't this also a problem with the previous model ?

Wasn't this also a problem with the previous model ?

Yes, but I have seen the same problem in new model Passats, Superbs and Transporters.

Who said?

Only saw this now, the motor tax system is due for reform, they'll be going after the low lieing fruit imo, ie modern stuff that's out there in large numbers wit relatively low motor tax.
    Save your cash until September and buy mine...........

He'd have to get in line I thought :P
    All very fine but then when changing time comes again you will get a better price for your newer car so therefore making better sense from the off to buy newer..............

I wouldn't really agree with that, spend less and the depreciation will be less in most cases. If you are speaking in terms of sense, it's makes more sense to spend less.

Your Toledo for example won't be losing much, if you had bought your Octavia for RRP or close to it you'd have lost quite a bit by September over the two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

when changing time comes again you will get a better price for your newer car so therefore making better sense from the off to buy newer.

You almost started believing that yourself, didn't ya? :p

Depreciation is based on the value of the car and the percentage of depreciation goes down over time. So buying a brand new car will give you a double hit.

Example: car is 30k new. Depreciation is 25% in the first year, 20% in the second and then 15% in the third year and 10% in the fourth year

Depreciation year 1 -> 25% of 30k = 7,5k
    Depreciation year 2 -> 20% of (30k-7.5k) = 4.5k
    Depreciation year 3 -> 15% of (30k - 7.5k - 4.5k) = 2.7k
    Depreciation year 4 -> 10% of (30k - 7.5k - 4.5k -2.7k) = 1.5k

Buying new is indeed a very expensive business. Unless of cars you get your new car for half price courtesy of the tax payer ;)

Only saw this now, the motor tax system is due for reform, they'll be going after the low lieing fruit imo, ie modern stuff that's out there in large numbers wit relatively low motor tax.

So the tax will jump up simply because it is in YOUR opinion :P
    He'd have to get in line I thought :P

True..
    But a long line can be a lot more secure than a short one.
    A very wealthy man once told me to "Always keep my options open"
    I never forgot his words of wisdom which have paid off for me on several occasions

I wouldn't really agree with that, spend less and the depreciation will be less in most cases. If you are speaking in terms of sense, it's makes more sense to spend less.

Your Toledo for example won't be losing much, if you had bought your Octavia for RRP or close to it you'd have lost quite a bit by September over the two years.

Well
    1) Toledo is '01 which is much older and cheaper than was being discussed

2)
    Were we discussing the loss from new cars??
    I think not but as we are on the matter. Yes. My car would be ideal for someone as the 2 year drop will already been taken. ;)

unkel wrote: »
    You almost started believing that yourself, didn't ya? :p

Depreciation is based on the value of the car and the percentage of depreciation goes down over time. So buying a brand new car will give you a double hit.

Example: car is 30k new. Depreciation is 25% in the first year, 20% in the second and then 15% in the third year and 10% in the fourth year

Depreciation year 1 -> 25% of 30k = 7,5k
    Depreciation year 2 -> 20% of (30k-7.5k) = 4.5k
    Depreciation year 3 -> 15% of (30k - 7.5k - 4.5k) = 2.7k
    Depreciation year 4 -> 10% of (30k - 7.5k - 4.5k -2.7k) = 1.5k

Buying new is indeed a very expensive business. Unless of cars you get your new car for half price courtesy of the tax payer ;)

Again, who was discussing NEW cars?? Unless I am imagining things we were discussing circa '07/'08 models. Not new ones.

Who gets a new car for Half price and how does it become courtesy of the tax payer??

• Advertisement

Well
    1) Toledo is '01 which is much older and cheaper than was being discussed

2)
    Were we discussing the loss from new cars??...........

Reform of the motor tax system will happen, that's not my opinion, they won't be reforming it to make it cheaper in the current climate :)

Indeed we weren't discussing new cars, the same theory applies, you will not recoup extra expenditure in it's entirety come resale time in the majority of cases by spending more when buying. The more expensive product will depreciate more.

There is currently a fairly large disparity between many 07s and 08s, more so than the 07s being a year older. The cheaper tax on many 08s are attracting a price premium that many folk are happy to pay to avail of cheaper motor tax. Some think that premium will be recouped come resale time, I think not as in 2 to 5 years time the difference in value between 08s and 09s will make the premium paid now for folks buying 08s over 07s rather large indeed :)

Given the likelihood of larger increases in motor tax on the Co2 system in % terms compared to that in the cc system folks who took have bought 2007 reg cars may well end up quite happy with how things pan out.

A lad I know bought a relatively decent 2007 reg 520d a month or so ago, the 08s he looked at were some gulf away in monetary terms, certainly more than the one year younger characteristic would dictate :)

There is an element of folks' views and opinions here and no one can tell the future but in times of austerity what we have seen so far I know which way I think things are going, I have no plans to have a car of the 07/08 vintage or onwards in the next 3 to 5 years so my views are somewhat from the outside looking in rather than in hope or expectation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The four year plan of about two years ago has long committed the government to reforming CO2 based motor tax in 2013. Somehow I don't think they'll be reducing rates....

I'd hazard a guess that a low co2 2007 car bought now could be seen in retrospect as a canny purchase.

Again, who was discussing NEW cars?? Unless I am imagining things we were discussing circa '07/'08 models. Not new ones.

It doesn't matter how old a car is, depreciation is always higher on a newer car. Both in relative terms (depreciation percentage) and absolute terms (higher value is higher base for depreciation) ;)

Who gets a new car for Half price and how does it become courtesy of the tax payer??

Errrrhhh, you. Or did I mix you up with someone else? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

THIS CO2 TAX RUBBISH IS PROBLALLY TAKING A LOT OF GOOD BIG ENGINED CARS OFF THE ROAD , A COW PRODUCES MORE CO2 IN 4 MONTHS THAN A 2.0TDI DOES IN A YEAR........
    a one for all cars of say €299 would be a better bet ,and leave people drive what they want rather than been penalised for their choice of cars if they are into big motors..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

yourpics wrote: »

Was that issue not on the B5 & 5.5 passats? An 08 would be a B6 and afaik this issue was sorted on these, but correct me if i am wrong.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    THIS CO2 TAX RUBBISH IS PROBLALLY TAKING A LOT OF GOOD BIG ENGINED CARS OFF THE ROAD , A COW PRODUCES MORE CO2 IN 4 MONTHS THAN A 2.0TDI DOES IN A YEAR........
    a one for all cars of say €299 would be a better bet ,and leave people drive what they want rather than been penalised for their choice of cars if they are into big motors..

Spot on, if an 07 car produces the same CO2 as an 08, then why should there be 2 different taxes? It is obvious it is not about the environment at all.
    It is a scam to sell new cars, introduced by FF to prop up people like Bill Cullen who donated €60K to the party.

Errrrhhh, you. Or did I mix you up with someone else? :confused:

News to me.!
    When did I get a car for half price and by how much would YOU have subsidised it?:confused:

News to me.!
    When did I get a car for half price and by how much would YOU have subsidised it?:confused:

Have you some sort of memory loss or are you just being obnoxious? :confused:
    R.O.R wrote: »
    Vectra has a disability exemption for part of the cost of the car and I think that dictates the delivery date of the car.
    As R.O.R said.
    I have to wait until 21st August as I qualify for the disabled drivers scheme and that is my change date.

• Advertisement

Have you some sort of memory loss or are you just being obnoxious? :confused:

No,
    We can leave the obnoxious part to you.

You are correct in quoting that I have a disability and as such I do get a reduction in car purchase.
    You are way off the mark when you say I bought a car for half price.
    I am also waiting for your reply showing me where it cost you money or where Tax payers are contributing to it.
    From where I stand Taxpayers have no money left to contribute to any purchase of a car by a disabled person as every penny is being taken to repay the Fat cat Bankers and Property developers Bill.

Show me how much you contributed towards my car and show me how much also.

Advertisement