Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened on the red line this morning?

Options
  • 07-04-2014 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/
    Home | News Centre | Red Line Service Disruption see news
    Red Line Service Disruption see news

Date 07/04/2014
    Time: 8.50am

Luas Red LIne Disruption.

Luas Red Line is running at the moment only between Saggart/Tallaght and Smithfield.

There is no service between Smithfield and Connolly/ The Point.

Luas Tickets are valid on Dublin Bus for the duration of the disruption.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

The Luas Green Line is operating normally.

Regards

Luas Customer Care
    Tel:1800 300 604
    Email: info@luas.ie
    Twitter: @Luas
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/luas

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0407/607198-woman-dies-after-collision-between-luas-and-car/
    Woman dies after collision between Luas and car in Dublin

A female pedestrian in her 30s has died in a road crash between a car and a Luas tram in Dublin.

The incident happened at the junction of Jervis Street and Abbey Street Upper at 8:45am this morning.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

The road is closed and garda forensic collision investigators are carrying out an examination of the area.

The Luas line is closed between Smithfield and Connolly stops.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

RIP to pedestrian killed, i just couldnt figure out that the news said there was a car and a luas involved?

Is the red line luas more dangerous than Larry Murphy?
    It seems to me to be a killing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

yeah, still doesnt really say what happened.

the front of the luas was dented in but im not sure what happened? did the luas hit the car and the car hit the pedestrian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

That's what they are saying on the radio. However to say that is to imply somehow it's the LUASs fault. I think it highly unlikely that the LUAS jumped the signals.

My sympathises to the family of the deceased. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Possibly ran in front of a car and then luas hit the breaking car

• Registered Users Posts: 7 badinfluence

The tram, which was travelling on the Red Line towards Tallaght was in collision with a silver BMW car at the junction of Abbey Street and Jervis Street, and as the car was spun by the Luas it struck the woman who was walking at the junction.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-killed-in-accident-involving-luas-30161964.html

RIP

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cut out the speculation please - mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh dear. What a tragic accident to happen on a Monday morning.

Sincere condolences to the woman's family RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Horrible to hear - thoughts are with the family.

Media reports are reporting an incident of Car vs Luas followed by Car vs Pedestrian:
    Gardaí confirmed that the pedestrian, who was in her late 30s, was struck by a car at 8.45am following an incident between the car and the tram.
    The Journal article

Probably best to leave it at that for the moment.

• Advertisement

can anyone verify the number of fatalities on the luas red line since its inception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

lolosaur wrote: »
    can anyone verify the number of fatalities on the luas red line since its inception?

I can't think of even one accident that was found to be the LUAS at fault so what use would such a statistic be?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luas

1. Pedestrian killed at Tallaght.
    2. Construction worker killed during construction of Saggart line.
    3. Pedestrian killed at Steevens Lane.
    4. Pedestrian killed at Blackhorse.
    5. Pedestrian killed at Jervis (today, details unclear).

After more than 250 million journeys, I think that is an acceptable, if regrettable, record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

corktina wrote: »
    That's what they are saying on the radio. However to say that is to imply somehow it's the LUASs fault. I think it highly unlikely that the LUAS jumped the signals.

My sympathises to the family of the deceased. RIP

The time the LUAS went through the side of the Dublin Bus, it was the LUAS driver who jumped his signal, it happens just as much as cars jumping their signal. Lets not speculate until all details come to light. RIP to the poor young woman involved

RIP to pedestrian killed, i just couldnt figure out that the news said there was a car and a luas involved?

Is the red line luas more dangerous than Larry Murphy?
    It seems to me to be a killing machine.
    There is no need to be so flippant or inflammatory in such comments.

billie1b wrote: »
    The time the LUAS went through the side of the Dublin Bus, it was the LUAS driver who jumped his signal, it happens just as much as cars jumping their signal. Lets not speculate until all details come to light. RIP to the poor young woman involved

I do believe you are incorrect. The driver was absolved of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

Do we need more safety regulations? Is there any need for all of these deaths? One death is too many in my opinion.

I do believe you are incorrect. The driver was absolved of the incident.

He was absolved because he couldn't see the signal, there was a shadow on it, the LUAS still jumped its signal and the control of the driver, it was his and the LUAS' fault

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

He was absolved because he couldn't see the signal, there was a shadow on it, the LUAS still jumped its signal and the control of the driver, it was his and the LUAS' fault

The actual verdict was that it was unsafe to proceed with the case due to certain irregularities with the prosecution case.

Makes for interesting reading nonetheless.....but it may not have any bearing on todays sad event.

http://www.herald.ie/news/luas-driver-who-crashed-into-bus-cleared-by-judge-28006646.html

However,the subsequent Investigation by the Rail Accident Investigations Unit did arrive at a somewhat less ambigious conclusion.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lapse-by-driver-of-luas-led-to-crash-with-bus-29102210.html
    "As a stop aspect was displayed for the tram and it was demonstrated during reconstruction that the tram driver had a clear and unobstructed view of the signal impact, it can be concluded that the tram driver initiated the movement of the tram through the junction without a proceed signal," the investigation concluded.

"The immediate cause of this collision was as a result of a lapse in concentration by the tram driver."

THe full RAIU report is available here....

http://www.raiu.ie/download/pdf/2013r001_tram_collision_with_a_bus_on_oconnell_st.pdf

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The actual verdict was that it was unsafe to proceed with the case due to certain irregularities with the prosecution case.

Makes for interesting reading nonetheless.....but it may not have any bearing on todays sad event.

http://www.herald.ie/news/luas-driver-who-crashed-into-bus-cleared-by-judge-28006646.html

However,the subsequent Investigation by the Rail Accident Investigations Unit did arrive at a somewhat less ambigious conclusion.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lapse-by-driver-of-luas-led-to-crash-with-bus-29102210.html

THe full RAIU report is available here....

http://www.raiu.ie/download/pdf/2013r001_tram_collision_with_a_bus_on_oconnell_st.pdf

We all know why they didn't proceed with the case but none of us will say it though. Its for a different thread anyways.
    Still amazes me to this day, not just in Dublin city but all over the place, the amount of drivers going through lights that are red or just turned red, its craziness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do we need more safety regulations? Is there any need for all of these deaths? One death is too many in my opinion.

Anymore health & safety regulation and we won't be able to go outside without wearing an airbag suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

We all know why they didn't proceed with the case but none of us will say it though.

Because the driver is black? I really don't think that is the reason, grow up.

Let's compare it to road traffic casualties.

Category Ireland Luas
    Population of Ireland 4,500,000 Not applicable
    Approximate number of journeys per year 3,285,000,000 Not applicable
    Approximate number of journeys over 10 years 32,850,000,000 250,000,000
    Approximate number of fatalities 2,691 4
    Journeys per fatality 12,207,358 62,500,000

So, Luas is 5 times safer per journey. However, we are overstating Luas-related casualties, so we could easily say it is ten times safer..

Victor wrote: »
    Let's compare it to road traffic casualties.

Category Ireland Luas
    Population of Ireland 4,500,000 Not applicable
    Approximate number of journeys per year 3,285,000,000 Not applicable
    Approximate number of journeys over 10 years 32,850,000,000 250,000,000
    Approximate number of fatalities 2,691 4
    Journeys per fatality 12,207,358 62,500,000

So, Luas is 5 times safer per journey. However, we are overstating Luas-related casualties, so we could easily say it is ten times safer..

I wanted to see if it was into double figures, quite surprised it is not.

There should be railings up around jervis and abbey st. they are the two busiest stops and people saunter accross there all the time.

The luas red line is a shambles tbf.

Because the driver is black? I really don't think that is the reason, grow up.

Who said that? I didn't say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I wanted to see if it was into double figures, quite surprised it is not.

There should be railings up around jervis and abbey st. they are the two busiest stops and people saunter accross there all the time.

The luas red line is a shambles tbf.

Or maybe people just need to be more careful and start obeying the law when it comes to crossing the road, and obey traffic signals?

There is only so much that can be done - people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

For clarity - his comment does NOT relate to the poor woman this morning, but to the suggestion in the post quoted above and the implication that running trams through the city is inherently unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Who said that? I didn't say that!

Then say what you think is the real reason that we apparently all know for not proceeding with the case?

Then say what you think is the real reason that we apparently all know for not proceeding with the case?

Money buddy, money, the government wont waste it on the case as they'll end up paying out 3 times (if mot more) in compo to the people injured in it

lxflyer wrote: »
    Or maybe people just need to be more careful and start obeying the law when it comes to crossing the road, and obey traffic signals?

There is only so much that can be done - people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

What if i pushed you onto the track. how would you like that action?

There is a build up of over 100-150 people at those tram stops regularly at peak times per tram, there are people crossing at a busy intersection not mentioning it is a cross town rat run to the two busiest shopping districts.

that girl this morning, god rest her, would she be one of the people you want to take responsibility for her own actions?

What a useless post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will be very surpised if anybody except the driver of a car is at fault. Quiet a few comments saying they ran the lights.

In general more significent penelties are needed for these actions.
    What if i pushed you onto the track. how would you like that action?

There is a build up of over 100-150 people at those tram stops regularly at peak times per tram, there are people crossing at a busy intersection not mentioning it is a cross town rat run to the two busiest shopping districts.

that girl this morning, god rest her, would she be one of the people you want to take responsibility for her own actions?

What a useless post.

Stop making excuses, the simple fact is either Luas or car ran the lights and I know who my money is on. Very unfortunate that the womem was killed this morning as a result of somebody's actions.

Next you will be saying that BXD line should be completly fenced in around the city.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement