Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened on the red line this morning?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

lolosaur wrote: »
    What if i pushed you onto the track. how would you like that action?

There is a build up of over 100-150 people at those tram stops regularly at peak times per tram, there are people crossing at a busy intersection not mentioning it is a cross town rat run to the two busiest shopping districts.

that girl this morning, god rest her, would she be one of the people you want to take responsibility for her own actions?

What a useless post.

Well lets be honest - what happens if anyone pushes you onto the road at any pedestrian crossing in the country where large volumes of cars or other vehicles are passing, such as at the two pedestrian bridges between O'Connell Bridge and Grattan Bridge on the Quays?

You are trying to suggest that the LUAS per se is any more dangerous than a car, bus or truck, which it patently is not.

What happened to that poor girl this morning was something that (from the reports so far) I don't believe any railings or otherwise could have stopped. She was unfortunate to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

" people need to take responsibility for their own actions. "

LXflyer I normally respect your views, but your post on this thread is appalling. I suggest you withdraw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

LXflyer I normally respect your views, but your post on this thread is appalling. I suggest you withdraw it.

I am not in any way referring to the poor woman that died this morning in that statement. It was a completely freak accident that happened to her, and she and her family have my sympathies.

I am referring to the general implication in the posts by lolosaur where he/she implied that LUAS by design was unsafe and that pedestrians need to be railed in and that people crossing the road in front of approaching trams are not in any way at fault.

People walk out in front of approaching trams left right and centre and as such they are causing a major hazard - those people need to be more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Can't see anything appalling in that comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Can see anything appalling in that comment.

Speaking in general, and not about any specific case, the only way additional rules and regulations would change pedestrian behaviour would be to have the guards arresting and prosecuting jaywalking in a way that would deter messing at busy junctions. Better for individuals to be a bit more copped on that cars, buses and trams can injure or kill you and are not a source of compo if they hit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to news reports the woman who was killed this morning wasnt jaywalking the car was hit by the luas and then somehow spun near 180° and mounted the pavement and hit the poor victim ,

**Mods I know no speculation was stated earlier im merely pointing out accordingly to reports this poor woman was a victim of a freak accident rather than the luas safety issues /or her own actions **

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Speaking in general, and not about any specific case, the only way additional rules and regulations would change pedestrian behaviour would be to have the guards arresting and prosecuting jaywalking in a way that would deter messing at busy junctions.

Have a look at the Luas Annual Safety Statistical Report. Under section 3.2, you'll see the majority of incidents are road traffic collisions.

http://www.rpa.ie/Documents/Health%20and%20Safety/RPA_Luas_Annual_Safety_Statistical_Report_2012.pdf

Breaking the lights when the LUAS is crossing is endemic. On Queen street collisions have happened so often that they have to put up large neon signs warning drivers not to break the lights.

That said, the Jarvis Street LUAS stop is a nightmare. There isn't enough room for passengers getting off, waiting at the stop and general pedestrians walking through. Combine that with a traffic coming down Jervis Street and it's just plain dangerous for pedestrians. It's a dangerously designed LUAS stop. Blaming pedestrians for jaywaking completely misses the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

The woman killed this morning was my second cousins wife.
    To the people trying to take this thread out of control, please show a bit of respect! :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's a lot of traffic crossing the tracks on Jervis Street. All of it coming either from the Ormonde Quay or Great Strand Street. That traffic is either going to the Jervis Carpark or Parnell St. Since the only way of getting to Ormonde Quay is from O Donnovan Rossa Bridge, or from Inns Quay, it is obvious that Jervis Street is being used as a rat-run for any non-Jervis-Carpark traffic. So if the only major car-destination is Jervis, then I would completely advocate reconfiguring Jervis Street around the area where the Luas crosses it. In fact I would contend that Jervis Street needn't be a through-route at all: the street is wide enough to be two-way to facilitate entry to and egress from the Jervis Carpark. That way the 10 meters either side of the Luas crossing could be closed off to cars, offering a significantly safer crossing area for pedestrians over the current constrained setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Victor wrote: »
    After more than 250 million journeys, I think that is an acceptable, if regrettable, record.

Wrong choice of words I think. Not one death is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

RIP poor Lady

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

n97 mini wrote: »
    Wrong choice of words I think. Not one death is acceptable.

While it shouldn't be acceptable, its reality and given the ratio of deaths to journeys it's remarkably low.

There is an add on a Luas which says 2 in 5 people killed in Dublin are pedestrians. That's high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

I saw all the flowers at the scene this evening :-(

Maybe they could put rumble strips before luas junctions. I know they have red flashing lights on the ground at some of crossings but is this across the board??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Martina82

Seems to be nothing but bad news recently.

Sincere condolences to the woman's family. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I saw all the flowers at the scene this evening :-(

Maybe they could put rumble strips before luas junctions. I know they have red flashing lights on the ground at some of crossings but is this across the board??

At this stage, I'd be in favour of automatic bollards at every Luas/Road Junction from Museum to Liffey Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

stop wrote: »
    At this stage, I'd be in favour of automatic bollards at every Luas/Road Junction from Museum to Liffey Street.

I'd really be in favour of some futuristic technology, like say, red light cameras, coupled with, say, enforcing the damn laws that are already in place... /rant

For high traffic junctions like this, there should at least be some steel bollards that would prevent runaway traffic from mounting the footpath too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Victor wrote: »
    Let's compare it to road traffic casualties.

So, Luas is 5 times safer per journey. However, we are overstating Luas-related casualties, so we could easily say it is ten times safer..

Absolutely 100% Agree.

The continuing risk of Injury or Death as a result of physical assault on a Luas service,is a far more significant threat to Public Safety than any injury from a collision ! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

kingtut wrote: »
    The woman killed this morning was my second cousins wife.
    To the people trying to take this thread out of control, please show a bit of respect! :mad::(

Sincere condolences, it seems very tragic and she was preparing to return home to China for a visit with her young daughter.

I wonder could many of the traffic issues be sorted by installation of cameras at the junctions and a fine coupled with 2 penalty points for every time a car crosses a red light there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Aard wrote: »
    There's a lot of traffic crossing the tracks on Jervis Street. All of it coming either from the Ormonde Quay or Great Strand Street. That traffic is either going to the Jervis Carpark or Parnell St. Since the only way of getting to Ormonde Quay is from O Donnovan Rossa Bridge, or from Inns Quay, it is obvious that Jervis Street is being used as a rat-run for any non-Jervis-Carpark traffic. So if the only major car-destination is Jervis, then I would completely advocate reconfiguring Jervis Street around the area where the Luas crosses it. In fact I would contend that Jervis Street needn't be a through-route at all: the street is wide enough to be two-way to facilitate entry to and egress from the Jervis Carpark. That way the 10 meters either side of the Luas crossing could be closed off to cars, offering a significantly safer crossing area for pedestrians over the current constrained setup.

The nub of SO much of Dublin City's Traffic Planning problems.

The cack-handed,and highly dubious planning decisions taken decades ago by long forgotten Corporate and Political figures which gave Multi-Storey Car Park developers effective control over Dublin City's day to day operation.

Someday we shall have full disclosure as to the "details" surrounding such travesties,but I would also suggest much evidence has been shredded or incinerated to keep the issue from causing "trouble".

The City is blighted,not by the Multi-Stories themselves,but by the TOTAL absence of the necessary infrastructure to support and cater for the basic operations of such facilities.

Rather than focus upon the Facilities themselves,take the time instead to stand outside the Entrances and Exits of these Multi-Stories and marvel at how ANY supposed "Professional" Planner could have signed-off on the arrangements now in place for decades.

Stand outside the MAIN Exit for the Jervis Multi Storey and wonder at what language the "Professional" Planners Degree was written in...:(

Even worse is how we have become so inured to this cockamamey behaviour,so that when it's franchised out to our latest locations such as the Dundrum Centre,nobody bats an eyelid....Sheer Dangerous Lack of Planning Responsibility,all passed off as a Native Ability to "come up with something" and "see how it go's"

This issue is ongoing and whilst not directly conected to the Sad Accident which claimed this lady's life,is I feel part of the menu of contributory factors,the responsibility for which remains unaddressed.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This issue is ongoing and whilst not directly conected to the Sad Accident which claimed this lady's life,is I feel part of the menu of contributory factors,the responsibility for which remains unaddressed.

Yup. People can talk about automatic bollards, rumble strips, and red light cameras 'til the cows come home. But until cars are subordinated in these massive footfall areas, the threat remains.

• Advertisement

Another incident on the redline again a man was stuck by a tram in city west this evening ,while apparently crossing the tracks

While that's an awful thing to have happened, it should be recognised that being hit while crossing the tracks is an entirely different situation to what happened on Jervis Street yesterday, and that the two shouldn't be conflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

While that's an awful thing to have happened, it should be recognised that being hit while crossing the tracks is an entirely different situation to what happened on Jervis Street yesterday, and that the two shouldn't be conflated.

He has nobody to blame but himself.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/young-man-hospitalised-after-he-is-struck-by-luas-30168066.html
    The 18-year-old man was crossing the “segregated tracks” which is off-limits to pedestrians between the Cheeverstown and Citywest stops on the red line around 8:30pm last night when he was struck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Stand outside the MAIN Exit for the Jervis Multi Storey and wonder at what language the "Professional" Planners Degree was written in..

£$€¥Ⱡ₵₳₨₴₧₱!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Speaking in general, and not about any specific case, the only way additional rules and regulations would change pedestrian behaviour would be to have the guards arresting and prosecuting jaywalking in a way that would deter messing at busy junctions. Better for individuals to be a bit more copped on that cars, buses and trams can injure or kill you and are not a source of compo if they hit you.

That should have read Can't not Can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Sincere condolences to the family of that lady who died yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Locked until a thread cleanup can happen.

paddyland wrote: »
    Locked until a thread cleanup can happen.

???

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Gatling wrote: »
    ???

It's locked now.

Was meaning to reply hit not edit - early morning moding can have its downsides. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement