Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL DRAFT 2012

Comments

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah there's some years where blind luck can't be said, this year is a case for that with Luck,RG3,Blackmon and others!

I'd agree that say outside the top 5 can be pure pot luck, because there is never going to be a huge amount of elite guys!

top 5 players can bust to look at jamarcus russel, alkili smith, tim couch, tyan leaf, brian bosworth, tony mandarich

while top 5 players have a higher success rate when they bust boy do they bust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What would you offer the Rams for the 2nd pick/Robert Griffin?

There are rumours that the Redskins will offer a 1st, 3rd & 5th this year and next year's 1st or at least that will be the offer to beat.

Considering the draft is a lot of luck surely having 4 picks regardless of round gives you 4x the chance (within reason) of finding a starter than 1 pick.

I think the Falcons trade to the Browns was ridiculous for a player who was good in his first season but he may not become elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The Rams just lots of picks and lots of picks right now. They have needs across the board and I feel that taking Blackmon will be very underwhelming for them unless they go WR in the first two rounds. Problem there is that they have a horrible secondary and very little depth at LB. They need to sit down and decide what they want to accomplish this draft because they can't plug up all these wholes, imo they should go offence first, take Blackmon, take Stephen Hill in the second. Pick up OL,TE and a good bruising RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It all depends on how far the rams are willing to move down.

It was suggested that the Browns 4 and 22 pick would be enough but the way RGIII performed at the combine his price might have went up. If he throws well at he pro day i could see the Rams getting a kings ransom for him

Browns to give up both 1st round picks this year with maybe a 3rd rd pick and 1st/2nd round pick next year

Redskins would have to give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year plus maybe 1st and 3rd next year.

I cant see the Rams moving down much further than that and I cant see the Phins/Seahawks being able to compete with whats on offer from Browns/Skins.

If i were the browns i would be praying and hoping that Manning goes to Skins and flynn to Dolphins so they have a free shot at trading up for RGIII and keeping the price down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It all depends on how far the rams are willing to move down.

It was suggested that the Browns 4 and 22 pick would be enough but the way RGIII performed at the combine his price might have went up. If he throws well at he pro day i could see the Rams getting a kings ransom for him

Browns to give up both 1st round picks this year with maybe a 3rd rd pick and 1st/2nd round pick next year

Redskins would have to give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year plus maybe 1st and 3rd next year.

I cant see the Rams moving down much further than that and I cant see the Phins/Seahawks being able to compete with whats on offer from Browns/Skins.

If i were the browns i would be praying and hoping that Manning goes to Skins and flynn to Dolphins so they have a free shot at trading up for RGIII and keeping the price down.

I really hope the Rams don't get 3 fist round picks in exchange for their number 2 overall pick.

They also have the first pick of the second round which they could trade out of.

Hopefully the best they can get will be Cleveland's 2 first round picks. In other words they get the 22nd pick for moving down 2 places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

adrian522 wrote: »
    I really hope the Rams don't get 3 fist round picks in exchange for their number 2 overall pick.

They also have the first pick of the second round which they could trade out of.

Hopefully the best they can get will be Cleveland's 2 first round picks. In other words they get the 22nd pick for moving down 2 places.

It's supply and demand, there's no point being annoyed by it. RG3 isn't going to be sold for just a 22nd overall pick, the market is there for alot more and someone will pay far more than that if that were to be all the Browns were willing to offer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Syferus wrote: »
    It's supply and demand, there's no point being annoyed by it. RG3 isn't going to be sold for just a 22nd overall pick, the market is there for alot more and someone will pay far more than that if that were to be all the Browns were willing to offer.

Well I was speaking more as a 49er fan than anything. It's just that I don't want the Rams to have a whole load of picks for this year and the next few years, as they could [shudder] dominate "our" division. Or at least be competitive, and I don't want that either.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Syferus wrote: »
    The way the league's going and with how a similar type of player, Newton, transformed the entire verve of a franchise his first season will mean people will rightly be betting the farm on Griffin. Get your QB right and the path to the play-offs becomes a whole lot more direct.

Griffin and Newton are not very similar at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Griffin and Newton are not very similar at all :confused:

they're both black and play QB, that's close enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

And don't forget the Superman stuff with the cape and socks!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well I was speaking more as a 49er fan than anything. It's just that I don't want the Rams to have a whole load of picks for this year and the next few years, as they could [shudder] dominate "our" division. Or at least be competitive, and I don't want that either.:D

You must be a very worried man. Even if they get 4 & 22 they could pick up Justin Blackmon & Kendall Wright/Michael Floyd. Imagine how good Bradford could be with those guys.

Not that worried obviously, but if they had 2 first rounders this year and next year, that would be enough to build a decent team around bradford.

Speaking of bradford, 2012 will be a huge year for him, I think he really needs to perform and deliver on the promise ...

Stev_o wrote: »
    Michael Brockers has been tipped as 1st Round talent yet he only completed 19 reps of the bench press? That's pretty piss poor from a position that demands upper body power. Melvin Ingram posted 28 reps :eek: Power and Strength right there!!

Just to follow up on this, it's emerged this evening that Michael Brockers didn't lift at the combine - the 19 reps has been reported by NFL.com by mistake. He will lift at his pro day instead.

its tough id never give away 2 first round picks + for 1 player reminds me of ricky williams to much good player but it makes it hard to build around him however i think the rams will get a silly amount of picks for rg3

its tough id never give away 2 first round picks + for 1 player reminds me of ricky williams to much good player but it makes it hard to build around him however i think the rams will get a silly amount of picks for rg3

yea but you have to get your franchise QB sorted. If they think RGIII is that then you give up what you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

And probably that's fair enough. And there is a huge difference between an elite pick and not having one. After 5 on the board your generally not getting into the elite calibre. Obviously there are massive glaring exceptions to this but generally its the rule. RGIII is going to be a top player. His football IQ is excellent his stock has only risen in the Combine. He's also worth whatever team who hasn't a franchise QB is willing to pay, which is going to be a lot of picks.

Just a little something I've been working on the past couple of weeks, it's a draft booklet I'm putting together. Just my own big board, mock draft, observations etc. I still have to add in all the write ups for the mock draft, and will hopefully have a short scouting report on all the players on the big board after the draft so it's nowhere near complete. Obviously everyone has their own views on the draft so important to remember this is just what I think (and the draft is what I think will happen, not what necessarily should happen) but all constructive criticism is very welcome :)

http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=d5b871c581579c6a232e4c6ec49052cc

(Making the black and white pictures was the most fun part! :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ravens got our main needs addressed, C and MLB

Peter Konz at center who is looking to have a great future. Matt Birk will mentor him along and we should be good for the next four years

And we got a LB, Mychal Kendricks, it's a need. Coverage from our linebackers is an issue and got shown up in the AFC Championship game. Old man Lewis will help him along

I would be very happy with that.
    If we fail to get Konz I'd be hoping Dont'a Hightower falls to twenty nine but I don't think he would
    Either way, C and MLB, we're sorted

Just a little something I've been working on the past couple of weeks, it's a draft booklet I'm putting together. Just my own big board, mock draft, observations etc. I still have to add in all the write ups for the mock draft, and will hopefully have a short scouting report on all the players on the big board after the draft so it's nowhere near complete. Obviously everyone has their own views on the draft so important to remember this is just what I think (and the draft is what I think will happen, not what necessarily should happen) but all constructive criticism is very welcome :)

http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action=Download&File=d5b871c581579c6a232e4c6ec49052cc

(Making the black and white pictures was the most fun part! :o )

Excellent piece of work fair play? I have 2 questions for you.

In your mock what do you have in total Redskins giving to the Rams?

Why have you Michael Floyd rated higher than Justin Blackmon? (genuinely want to know as I cant remember seeing floyd rated higher before?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

Think Dwayne Allen may slip down the board now posting 4.84 40 time while Ladarious Green posted a 4.45.

I would have been mocking Orson Charles as the best Tight End followed by Coby Fleener. I think the Giants will take a long hard look at Charles at pick 32 . I will explain why ...if you look at Travis beckum or Kevin Boss before him ...these guys arent burners ...their sprint times are slow but in the Giants scheme a lot of blocking is needed which might have knocked out Dwayne Allen or Fleener anyway...i dont think Fleener blocks well and someone like Green in the 4th Round wont have the body strength to block

but for record

Dwayne Allen 40 4.84
    C Fleener 40 4.79
    O Charles 40 4.66
    Evan Rodriguez 40 4.58
    David Paulson 40 4.93

These are probably the top 5 TEs in the draft and only Rodriguez can move ....Aaron Hernandez in a way has muddied the waters on this as his 40 is fast for the Pats ...but if you look at his snaps when does he line up as a TE ..not often ....neither Jimmy Graham or Gronk can burn...its the after the catch ability and the catch ability in traffic and between Linebackers and Safeties over the middle or to exploit match-ups

I seen where Matt Miller from NFLscouting.com predicted 2 first round picks and 3 2nd's at least but if Peyton Manning gets picked up by Washington lets say ....and Matt Flynn by Miami after both tilt in a big way for Manning ....that really leaves Arizona , Cleveland & Seattle .

There are murmurings of Philly as they can dump Vick next year .

Now Adam Schefter has reported that Cleveland will not use their second 1st round pick (2012 pick 22)....and Washington dont want to use their second rounder (pick 38) so it may not be the kings ransom. Other teams are very intrigued by both Tannehill & Weedon so RG3 may be closer to the Eli Manning deal which was swapping first rounders....a first round pick and a 5th ...i think it may be more than that but not as much as reported

Excellent piece of work fair play? I have 2 questions for you.

In your mock what do you have in total Redskins giving to the Rams?

Why have you Michael Floyd rated higher than Justin Blackmon? (genuinely want to know as I cant remember seeing floyd rated higher before?)

This is an excellent idea for all of us and JMarcus im sure even though we are piggybacking on his good work ...the discussion based on different findings might really liven things up ....

They say that this draft is the group of six ...only really 6 elite talents ...Luck, RG3, Kalil, Blackmon , Claiborne & Richardson ...everything else is either not elite calibre or have a high ceiling but not ready to play ...Brockers etc I wouldnt have Floyd rated above Blackmon ...i have Floyd going to the Bears at 19 (that is if they dont sign Vincent Jackson) but i can see what Jamarcus means ....Blackmon is probably the least talented in that group of six

-he doesnt have a very fast 40
    -will he be an elite outside threat ?
    -will he be the after catch threat in the pros in the same way where corners and safeties are bigger faster
    - he is only 6-1 and 207 pounds with a 4.48 40 yard dash

Vincent Jackson for instance is a 4.40 40 yarder , with 6-5 height and a 230 pound physique. As a scout was quoted as saying Dez Bryant is elite and Blackmon isnt (Bryant is a headcase but it is talent i am talking about....Blackmon replaced bryant in Oklahoma ). To be fair Blackmon has huge hands , has tremendous catch ability and is good in the red zone. He leaps better than his height and is deceptively fast ...he plays like a 4.40 guy and does break tackles very well . But at a top 5 pick he probably is being overdrafted and Michael Floyd is a better outside threat being faster and bigger ....i still wouldnt be putting him ahead of Blackmon but it is closer than people think ...Blackmon is a top 10 pick or top 15 and Floyd Top-20

Blackmon reminds me of Marques Colston sometimes...he is a fantastic route-runner but again Colston is a lot taller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Blackmon is a number 2 receiver and will always be a number 2 receiver in the NFL. Rams are wasting picks if they just draft him and dont go for a stretch guy like Hill.

Blackmon be a massive upgrade over what the rams have at reveiver.

If i were the Rams i wouldnt be too worried about missing out on Blackmon. I think there is very little between him and Floyd, although i would give Blackmon a slight edge. It looks to be a decent group of wide-receivers this year with Wright, Hill, Streeter, Randle all potential big play guys to add to the 2 best all round wide outs Blackmon/Floyd.

Rams really need to look long and had at Richardson if they trade down to Redskins 6 spot. Jackson must be getting close to the end of his shelf life. Richardson is the kind of guy you could have 5/6 years of 1500 yard seasons. Best back available since Adrian Peterson.

This is a strict reading of how much the Rams can get for RGIII (courtesy of Walterfootball.com)

Cleveland Browns: No. 4 pick (1,800 points) + No. 22 pick from Atlanta (780 points) + sixth-round pick (20-25 points)

Washington Redskins: No. 6 pick (1,600 points) + 2013 first-rounder (roughly 1,000 points)

Miami Dolphins: No. 8 pick (1,400 points) + 2012 third-round pick (225 points) + 2013 first-rounder (roughly 1,000 points)

Interestingly they say if the Redskins or Dolphins did not want to give away next years 1st round pick they would have to give up their entire draft class this year.

Blackmon be a massive upgrade over what the rams have at reveiver.

If i were the Rams i wouldnt be too worried about missing out on Blackmon. I think there is very little between him and Floyd, although i would give Blackmon a slight edge. It looks to be a decent group of wide-receivers this year with Wright, Hill, Streeter, Randle all potential big play guys to add to the 2 best all round wide outs Blackmon/Floyd.

Rams really need to look long and had at Richardson if they trade down to Redskins 6 spot. Jackson must be getting close to the end of his shelf life. Richardson is the kind of guy you could have 5/6 years of 1500 yard seasons. Best back available since Adrian Peterson.

would you take a rb in the top half of the first round though he's gona have to be one of the top 5 in the nfl to make it worthwhile
    with the new rookie wage scale and rg3 the rams have the most valuable pick up for sale since i can remember if they play there cards right they could build a dynasty out of this

would you take a rb in the top half of the first round though he's gona have to be one of the top 5 in the nfl to make it worthwhile
    with the new rookie wage scale and rg3 the rams have the most valuable pick up for sale since i can remember if they play there cards right they could build a dynasty out of this

Personally i'm 100% sold on Richardson. I'd rate him 2nd/3rd best player available overall (behind luck, tied with Kalil). When you see how he performed in the 2 games against an LSU team loaded with NFL talent he is worth a top 5 pick easily. The knee injury he is going through is a very slight concern but hopefully he shows up well at his pro-day to end those concerns.

I dont actually think he'll be drafted that high, may even drop out of top 10, but i think the teams that do pass on him will regret it.

Personally i'm 100% sold on Richardson. I'd rate him 2nd/3rd best player available overall (behind luck, tied with Kalil). When you see how he performed in the 2 games against an LSU team loaded with NFL talent he is worth a top 5 pick easily. The knee injury he is going through is a very slight concern but hopefully he shows up well at his pro-day to end those concerns.

I dont actually think he'll be drafted that high, may even drop out of top 10, but i think the teams that do pass on him will regret it.

iv not seen enough of him to disagree but in this day and age with so many teams having 2 or 3 rbs sharing the load hes going to have to be really special

Just learned that Doug Martin's nickname is The Muscle Hamster.

Stock = Up

• Advertisement

With Llyod looking like he's gone a receiver for your franchise QB is far more pressing a concern than replacing a player still playing at a high level and more than young enough to go a few years more, he's only 28.

If they doubt S.Jax, Cadillac Williams showed enough in his cameo last season that he can move the chains for at least the remainder of a season so they'll re-sign him.

No way at all that they reach for Richardson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Rams have to be looking OL. It just makes every other part of the offense so much simpler.

Blackmon is a number 2 receiver and will always be a number 2 receiver in the NFL. Rams are wasting picks if they just draft him and dont go for a stretch guy like Hill.

I wouldnt say he is a no 2 reciever but i would have misgivings about a top 10 pick on him . Trade down and trade in again as part of the RGIII trade , they can use 2013 picks to trade back in at the end of the 1st round or begininng of the second where Hill , Sanu or Jeffrey may be sitting .

I see only Blackmon, Floyd and Wright going in the first , there is a fair seperation from these to the next tier of wide-outs. I know people have dropped Wright over his 40 time but he was hand-timed at sub 4.40 on some of his combine runs just not his oficial one

This is a strict reading of how much the Rams can get for RGIII (courtesy of Walterfootball.com)

Cleveland Browns: No. 4 pick (1,800 points) + No. 22 pick from Atlanta (780 points) + sixth-round pick (20-25 points)

Washington Redskins: No. 6 pick (1,600 points) + 2013 first-rounder (roughly 1,000 points)

Miami Dolphins: No. 8 pick (1,400 points) + 2012 third-round pick (225 points) + 2013 first-rounder (roughly 1,000 points)

Interestingly they say if the Redskins or Dolphins did not want to give away next years 1st round pick they would have to give up their entire draft class this year.

This is an interesting measure but surely these measures go out the window this year , if Peyton is considering Miami this takes them out , if Miami was a likely destination for Matt Flynn that then puts him into the conversation for these teams and may affect the measure but the word is in the top ten picks alone there are other teams nosing around

Surely Jacksonville & Buffalo have thought about it ....Blaine Gabbert is toast in my opinion

Lets look in picks 10-20 ...Seattle, Kansas, Arizona or in 20-32 ...Denver

Now someone may say these picks are too far out to get RGIII but someone decides to blow the others out of the water like a Julio Jones trade ...it could be a huge bounty ...and this a franchise QB ...not a wideout

These tables are useful but the offers will be a lot larger than this

I was thinking about Jacksonville, surely they have to make a play for Peyton. They can sit Gabbert for couple of years and allow him to mature. They have great running game and they could draft couple weapons to give him. Gabbert is a bust but dont think they can justify trading up for RGIII considering they used a high pick on Gabbert.

I dont think that the above chart is 100%. It all depends on who the player at the spot is. RGIII looks electric. He'd fill seats if nothing else which is something Miami has been struggling to do lately (see the Gator day to coinside with tebow coming to town)

I was thinking about Jacksonville, surely they have to make a play for Peyton. They can sit Gabbert for couple of years and allow him to mature. They have great running game and they could draft couple weapons to give him. Gabbert is a bust but dont think they can justify trading up for RGIII considering they used a high pick on Gabbert.

I dont think that the above chart is 100%. It all depends on who the player at the spot is. RGIII looks electric. He'd fill seats if nothing else which is something Miami has been struggling to do lately (see the Gator day to coinside with tebow coming to town)

I see where you are going with the Jags but maybe Peyton would overrule it as they are thin at reciever...nothing Reggie Wayne couldnt improve but versus a Miami Dolphins in the hunt

But bear with me on this intriguing alternative that the play that they make is really for RGIII....he would have a strong running game and a tilt at Andrew Luck twice a year ...as a draft pick he may not be so annoyed about his destination particularly as the 2nd QB taken and i like their O-Line overall compared to others

Say Miami get Peyton ....Cleveland refuse to part with their 2nd 1st round pick ....Washington go with Matt Flynn after wanting to only use 2013 2nd round pick as opposed one which would offer the Rams a pick in the is drafts 2nd round .....Seattle after balking at the high price of RGIII trades go with Tannehill .....the Jets draft Weedon in the 2nd round and stick with Sanchez and draft to pressurise him .....maybe just maybe and its an outside chance a new owner in Khalid Skah decides to bet the ranch on RGIII...

remember Gabbert is the GM's guy not the guy who signs the cheque ....interesting

Absolutely mind boggling how stupid some of these kids can be.

Orson Charles, considered by many to be the best TE in the draft and a strong candidate for a late 1st round pick - fresh off of a glowing appraisal by Mike Mayock this week with his stock at it's highest - goes and gets himself arrested yesterday for a DUI one month before the draft.

What an utter, utter plank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Orson Charles, considered by many to be the best TE in the draft and a strong candidate for a late 1st round pick - fresh off of a glowing appraisal by Mike Mayock this week with his stock at it's highest - goes and gets himself arrested yesterday for a DUI one month before the draft.

Agreed, at least wait until your in the NFL before you start acting the dzope.

I see it happened in Athens so he was still on campus , so after cementing himself as a football star in Georgia and potential 1st to 2nd rounder in the NFL draft which makes him a very big wheel on campus, hes drinking and carousing in his home haunts with his college pals....beer, chicks etc

why couldnt he walk home ? This wont worry scouts as much as weed or carousing with homeys/violence with bad people in bad parts of town but his agent must be thinking wtf

• Advertisement

agree with Neilster on this. The amount of s**t these guys get themselves into boggles the mind but they will sweep DUI under the carpet. Is this his 1st "infraction" if so you could almost write it off as stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭TimThomas

agree with Neilster on this. The amount of s**t these guys get themselves into boggles the mind but they will sweep DUI under the carpet. Is this his 1st "infraction" if so you could almost write it off as stupidity

They do it because they don't care about getting caught as they know NFL teams will still take a punt on their talents. But the NFL are about giving 2nd chances these days so why not be stupid when you have the talent. If the kid has the potential to make you money he is worth the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

It will end up being a very expensive few beers for the amount of hassle it will cost him, you think they'd keep their head screwed on for a few more weeks

OAOB wrote: »
    It will end up being a very expensive few beers for the amount of hassle it will cost him, you think they'd keep their head screwed on for a few more weeks

If Janoris Jenkins can get away with fighting/resisting arrest, 2 drug possesion charges, and generally being a twat and still be a 1st round pick (for the Bengals who else) then Orson Charles's DUI shouldn't affect his draft stock too much

It's less what he did, more the timing of it that will bother teams. That's ignoring the fact his pro day this week was awful. His stock will take a hit, but not too much because up to this point he actually has quite an impressive list of personal accolades. It's just a very stupid thing to do at the most stupid time possible for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It's less what he did, more the timing of it that will bother teams. That's ignoring the fact his pro day this week was awful. His stock will take a hit, but not too much because up to this point he actually has quite an impressive list of personal accolades. It's just a very stupid thing to do at the most stupid time possible for him.

That's exactly it. Teams will look at it and say 'can we rely on him to keep his head down before key games, if he does this a month before the biggest moment of his career? Does he care all that much?'. Well I'm sure he does care, but he's going to take a hit in his first rookie contract as a result. There's a lot to be said for locking a player away for a month after the combine and letting them have a party the day of the draft!

Wonder what the offence per player ratio is at this stage and how does it fair against the general population in the US? It's actually amazing the amount of players getting arrested for DUI, drugs, assault etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Could RGIII refuse to play for the Browns, which is what I've read Eli Manning did with the Chargers when he was drafted?

He could refuse to sign his contract but he'd have to sit out the year and re-enter next year's draft. That's too big of a financial risk for the player (refusing to play, your stock inevitably takes a big hit). Or the Browns could trade him like what happened with Manning. Eli said he'd never play for San Diego so they arranged a trade with the Giants. The Chargers draft Eli, waited for the Giants to draft Philip Rivers, then they traded players and the Chargers got a few extra picks too (which turned into Merriman and Kaeding).

Regardless, it very rarely happens and I can't envisage a scenario where RG3 refuses to play for Cleveland. That's because he's going to Washington :)

No I don't think he'd be able to really! With Eli it was different, he was the No.1 pick so it was easier to do, he had control of it by stating he wouldn't play for the Chargers before evy thing, which allowed them to get a deal in place with the Giants that they'd draft Rivers and then 2 additional picks they'd give the Chargers!

With RG3,it's different as everyone knows the Rams are going to trade him, but he doesn't know where so can't demand anything, and it's not something that would be sorted out on draft night, would leave things too tight!

Well here we have it, RG3 is now Washington's!
    Jay Glazer wrote:
    Major scoopage: Redskins have agreed to a trade w Rams for #2 pick of draft. Rams and Skins swap first rounders this yr w Rams also getting 2 future #1s and additional picks.

Surprised they've come to an agreement so early but it must have been the best deal the Rams felt they could get! Pretty great deal for the Rams in fairness, only dropping a few spots this year, 2 what will prob be mid round first rounders and whatever the additional ones are!

Won't be seeing Luck-v-RG3 this season though, looking at some projections the earliest will be 2014, but that's all guess work!!

Ouch, three first rounders and change. They're mortgaging the farm on RG3, at least he's an exceptional talent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement