Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

mountcisco wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala has given the go-ahead for an offline service area adjacent to Junction 7 Paulstown on M9

This is great news for all traveling from Waterford/Kilkenny on the m9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

That be good, saves me driving to Castledermot for a pit stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

But Castledermot is a right place for a pitstop..... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone know what the works and lane closures between J9 and 10 (Kilkenny and Knocktopher) are in aid of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fricatus wrote: »
    Anyone know what the works and lane closures between J9 and 10 (Kilkenny and Knocktopher) are in aid of?

Are these ongoing now?

It's crazy, no stretch of the M9 has escaped closure for various works and repairs after barely 5 years opening. Can see more happening too between J8 and J7 northbound just after kilkenny going up the hill as there's a hump in the road that appears to be getting worse...

road_high wrote: »
    Are these ongoing now?

Yes, from Monday to Friday of this week according to AA Roadwatch. It's down to one lane for a stretch, but the delay is minimal - about two minutes sitting at 90 km/h, which is hardly a penance.

It's crazy, no stretch of the M9 has escaped closure for various works and repairs after barely 5 years opening. Can see more happening too between J8 and J7 northbound just after kilkenny going up the hill as there's a hump in the road that appears to be getting worse...

I dunno, I think maybe you're being a bit harsh. It was a big project, and they were never going to escape some sort of issue. It seems they're being proactive in fixing problems before they get out of hand.

It's pretty normal in other countries. I remember going up the North a lot between about 2002 and 2006, and every time I went there was a contraflow on the A1 while they resurfaced some stretch or other.

And whatever you do, don't start complaining about the M9 to anyone who's had to drive the stretch of M1 between Luton and the M25... :D I think the roadworks there might still be ongoing! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Looks like drainage work as they have dug a trench along the central medium so I assume?

Sully wrote: »
    Looks like drainage work as they have dug a trench along the central medium so I assume?

Yeah, it looks like they're doing something like that all right. I know that there's a curve just as you head north of Knocktopher that gets a lot of water flowing across it when there's heavy rain, and I'd say that was the concern that prompted these works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

And whatever you do, don't start complaining about the M9 to anyone who's had to drive the stretch of M1 between Luton and the M25... :D I think the roadworks there might still be ongoing! :pac:

It's not too much better up north , drove from Bradford to Coventry on Tuesday, 50mph a good lot of the way.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

M9 fully opened northbound at the new service station location. When is the service station itself due to open? Doesn't seem to be much building going on.

• Advertisement

M9 fully opened northbound at the new service station location. When is the service station itself due to open? Doesn't seem to be much building going on.

'Bout bleedin time. I don't think they've even started building that yet. Just the flyover and approach roads/layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

'Bout bleedin time. I don't think they've even started building that yet. Just the flyover and approach roads/layout.

Looks that way ok, Clonmel Enterprises seems to have just had the enabling works contract for the MSA

http://www.clonmelent.com/projectlist/2015/1/7/m9-kilcullen-msa

Somebody wasn't paying attention and drove straight through (as in literally through) the roundabout at the Waterford end of the motorway over the past day or two.

From the pattern of the wheel tracks and the dirt on the ground it looks like they went straight into the roundabout from the M9, demolished the signs, continued across, then turned right and went back around the roundabout, taking the exit for the N25 and city centre.

:eek:

There is definitely a case for rumble strips. Yes there's plenty of signage to say a roundabout is coming up, but it's been demonstrated now beyond debate that there are people who just do not pay attention until they are literally shaken into doing so.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Somebody wasn't paying attention and drove straight through (as in literally through) the roundabout at the Waterford end of the motorway over the past day or two.

From the pattern of the wheel tracks and the dirt on the ground it looks like they went straight into the roundabout from the M9, demolished the signs, continued across, then turned right and went back around the roundabout, taking the exit for the N25 and city centre.

There is definitely a case for rumble strips. Yes there's plenty of signage to say a roundabout is coming up, but it's been demonstrated now beyond debate that there are people who just do not pay attention until they are literally shaken into doing so.

Saw that. Some drivers are idiots though. Had one person in a MPV drive in the overtaking lane and was oblivious to cars flashing and beeping to get passed - resulting in cars having to undertake.

Sully wrote: »
    Saw that. Some drivers are idiots though. Had one person in a MPV drive in the overtaking lane and was oblivious to cars flashing and beeping to get passed - resulting in cars having to undertake.

Sounds like just a normal day on any Irish motorway or dual carriageway in my frustrating experience. Amount of drivers that are not able to use a motorway is scary. I'll to add this I find young females the worst offenders for sitting/hogging lanes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sounds like just a normal day on any Irish motorway or dual carriageway in my frustrating experience. Amount of drivers that are not able to use a motorway is scary. I'll to add this I find young females the worst offenders for sitting/hogging lanes.....

And also males in my experience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Comedy of Errors

People just get hypnotised into doing motorway speeds then it's on them before they think.
    See also the Dunkettle Interchange at the end of the M8, you come down a big hill onto that, surprised there's not more rear enders going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The 100kmh section and the bendiness of the Glanmire bypass seems to wake people up. But with the M9 its just 120kmh straight into a roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The 100kmh section and the bendiness of the Glanmire bypass seems to wake people up. But with the M9 its just 120kmh straight into a roundabout.

Waterford though, you get the view of the splendour of the new bridge quite a bit back. Something there should wake one up that the roundabout is near. Ok, not somebody using it for first time...

• Advertisement

Any word when the Kilcullen Service Area will be built?
    Ground work and poles are up for signage and bridge constructed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

STIG83 wrote: »
    Any word when the Kilcullen Service Area will be built?
    Ground work and poles are up for signage and bridge constructed.

One can only assume soon as the ground seems to be levelled off in preparation.

It's going to be an Applegreen yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It's going to be an Applegreen yes?

You seem to know the answer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭rameire

I thought it was a Topaz and a Burger king. mmmmmmmm.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

The sinking at the overpasses at Paulstown seem to be coming back again, they were repaired a few years ago:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Topaz, of course, as Denis O'Brien owns them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Topaz, of course, as Denis O'Brien owns them now.

I will put aside my prejudice for this particular Topaz due how unbelievably useful this will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I will put aside my prejudice for this particular Topaz due how unbelievably useful this will be.

Regardless of the fact that it will cost €7 for a tall Re.Store coffee 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Definitely Topaz according to the Sunday Business Post, not sure what franchise for the restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

radharc wrote: »
    Definitely Topaz according to the Sunday Business Post, not sure what franchise for the restaurant

link?

tonc76 wrote: »
    link?

I read it on the SBP.

• Advertisement

What a situation the M9 is now in regarding the provision of services:

Junction 2/3 (KILCULLEN): Official MSA to be opened by end of 2015, Topaz are the preferred bidder.

Junction 5 (CARLOW SOUTH): Topaz off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 6 (MILFORD): Applegreen off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 7 (PAULSTOWN): Private developer has received full planning permission from ABP for off-line station.

So 2 confirmed permissions and 2 with ABP in the space of 60km! Obviously assume Topaz would drop J5 if they are selected for the NRA tender.

Junction 2/3 (KILCULLEN): Official MSA to be opened by end of 2015, Topaz are the preferred bidder.

Junction 5 (CARLOW SOUTH): Topaz off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 6 (MILFORD): Applegreen off-line development currently with An Bord Pleanala, having been granted permission by Carlow CC

Junction 7 (PAULSTOWN): Private developer has received full planning permission from ABP for off-line station.

So 2 confirmed permissions and 2 with ABP in the space of 60km! Obviously assume Topaz would drop J5 if they are selected for the NRA tender.
    Your assumption is that The Greedy get less greedy?

Not in this world pal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

D Trent wrote: »

Not in this world pal !

No, I'd say he assumes that they realise that cannibalising their own traffic is a bad idea.

Seems total overkill. And nothing planned around Kilkenny or south of that? Least there they'd be a big local trade as well as from the motorway.

Not in this world pal !

Thing is there wouldn't be the business there for all so close to eachother so I don't think it's greed, just bad business. Services at every junction make no sense and if all these are built, they'll be all half empty most days.

Cones have been placed northbound and southbound on the M9 at the new services slips, also signs indicating haard shoulders are closed.

Hopefully this will be the start of the construction of the actual services.

Am I the only one to notice the amount of dips in the road? With some signage warning of the problem. Up around Kilkenny mostly. The last time I passed that way they were digging on the hard shoulder on an embankment for some reason

rameire wrote: »
    Cones have been placed northbound and southbound on the M9 at the new services slips, also signs indicating haard shoulders are closed.

Anyone know will it be Topaz or Applegreen ?

Anyone know will it be Topaz or Applegreen ?

Hopefully AG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just a thought with the new stretch of M11 opening.

Instead of having built the M9, should we have simply built a motorway from Waterford to Enniscorthy and tie in with the M11.

It would have given Waterford motorway access to Dublin and would have helped take pressure off the Naas dual carriageway. Would have been a lot cheaper too.

• Advertisement

Instead of having built the M9, should we have simply built a motorway from Waterford to Enniscorthy and tie in with the M11.

It would have given Waterford motorway access to Dublin and would have helped take pressure off the Naas dual carriageway. Would have been a lot cheaper too.

But what about Carlow and Kilkenny?

Never mind that the N11 into Dublin is even more congested than the M7/Naas Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

But what about Carlow and Kilkenny?

Both glorified towns, give them both a WS2 bypass (if even) and move on
    Never mind that the N11 into Dublin is even more congested than the M7/Naas Road.

Sort the hippies out by (i dunno) ignoring them with a proper motorway through glen and bobs your uncle

Sort the hippies out by (i dunno) ignoring them with a proper motorway through glen and bobs your uncle

If only!

The restrictions in the Glen on "environmental" grounds are the most bizarre ever perpetrated in the name of....basically nothing!

Your insults to CW and KK are noted and rejected...

The NRA did an analysis of both and went with the M9, and rightly so. It serves a far greater swath of the country. The N11 skirts the Coast for a lot of it's journey and no one live in the sea. The M9 doubles as a link to the midlands and beyond, the M11 mainly Dublin.
    And how would it have been cheaper considering its a longer distance? The M9 was the obvious choice. Terrain was easier too.
    South of Arklow stretches of the M11 are often empty. One could argue these were overkill (I wouldn't as complete infrastructure is a good thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

My other thought is whether the M9 should have been realigned the enter Dublin along the N81 ?

My other thought is whether the M9 should have been realigned the enter Dublin along the N81 ?

Nice idea but the terrain would be difficult and go through some scenic areas. Also no large towns in west Wicklow but would have been a nice weight off the Naas road.

rameire wrote: »

False alarm, cones are gone and grass has been cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

That was under strong consideration about 20 years ago. The N11 would have gone on the West side of Enniscorthy rather than the east. It would have meant that Waterford - Rosslare (present N25) would have been (mostly) motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

looks like the junction 6 station is no more
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244827.htm

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »
    looks like the junction 6 station is no more
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244827.htm

Made no sense once the one at Paulstown has started and one at kilcullen whenever they decide to crack on with.

Advertisement