Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you recommend next years LCs' to avoid?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I will not take any of this advice on board at all. In fact, I'm going to do the opposite.

I didn't drink before, but now I have to and it's all your fault!

Nah but seriously, I can avoid most of the problems you guys had seeing as I don't have a real social life, don't drink and I won't be able to afford any games for the next year. :pac:

Just have to get over the whole laziness business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I think the best course of action is to determine how you yourself should approach the leaving cert based on your own personality, situation and aspirations and to ignore cookie-cutter advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think the best course of action is to determine how you yourself should approach the leaving cert based on your own personality, situation and aspirations and to ignore cookie-cutter advice.
    Yell at it and hope it goes away. Failing that, use the quadratic formula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 fearceol

i'd advise you to quit now while u can! its not worth it at all!! go now, while u still can!!!:D.........but seriously:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lisa-kk

just do your hmewrk n study 4 an tests that come up!

DONT panic.......it'll only make ya worse
    n AVOID those ppl who 1. think they no it all
    2.say they do no study wen its clear they do n
    3. the ppl who are too lazy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Take it easy. Keep on top of things, but don't worry if you don't. Stay positive :D It's really not all that bad when it comes down to it. Least, that's been my experience of it! See how that attitude pays off in August I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Mark200 wrote: »
    I agree. To be honest I barely studied at all, but I think I did great (well depends what you see great as but whatever). So far I think I've gotten 3 Bs out of 5 subjects done. 4 of them higher level.

I guess the only mistake I made during the last two years was not really studying hard enough for class tests.

But I always did my written homework.

Same. I just paid attention in class (most of the time :p), did all my written homework and crammed the week off before the LC/Pre's and nights before. It seems to have worked ok for me cos I got 510 in the pre's and seemingly A's and B's in the LC tests I've done so far. Couldn't see it working for everyone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 i hate boards

this piece of advice could be completely wrong but....id advise people to not learn stuff off at all and just spend as much time as possible getting to know the course well. because to me it seems like this year, with every paper ive done, theyve been trying to make it so that people who learned reams of **** off cant just vomit it out.....i think theyre trying to get the focus away from that kind of learning in a major way. btjm. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 xox Sarah xox

i agree and also remember that the leaving cert is real you cant avoid it for ever!
    So do your work then you wont feel like youve been a waster all year!

Also if you dont understand something get it explained to you again and again and keep doing homework instead of procrastinating saying your going to do homework and then end up wasting time on the net or tv.

Theres some really good advice on this thread! wish i read stuff like this at the start of 6th year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

creggy wrote: »
    I was scared when I saw your post count :eek:

ARGH icant believe i missed that, i wanted a screenshot, i have one of me with 666 hotmail emails (at time of posting i have 2144 unread emails)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

i like this thread its like passing on the baton to next years leaving cert boards fans! i think the most important things are to:
    1)Listen in class (as surprising as it seems the teachers do know a thing or two!)
    2)Keep all your notes in order! (come june '09 you'll be glad you did!)
    3)English Essays!!!! Write and hand up as many as you can its the ONLY way to improve and late in the year you just wont have time!
    and 4)Do one listening comprehension a week its the 1 thing you cant cram for!

I wish someone told me this last year even though i probably wouldn't have listened!
    Good luck, i'm glad its not me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

i like this thread its like passing on the baton to next years leaving cert boards fans! i think the most important things are to:
    1)Listen in class (as surprising as it seems the teachers do know a thing or two!)
    2)Keep all your notes in order! (come june '09 you'll be glad you did!)
    3)English Essays!!!! Write and hand up as many as you can its the ONLY way to improve and late in the year you just wont have time!
    and 4)Do one listening comprehension a week its the 1 thing you cant cram for!

I wish someone told me this last year even though i probably wouldn't have listened!
    Good luck, i'm glad its not me!:D

i could NEVER write a good essay
    I hated them, probs cause we didnt do enough,
    but then again, it is just a personal sorta thing,
    you can either write, or you can't!!

THEN 2 weeks before my lc,
    i FINALLY found my good writing style,
    with the guidence of my brill teacher :D:D:D

i handed up 3 personal essays and got an A1 in one of them
    :rolleyes:

i'd recommend FINDING YOUR WRITING STYLE ASAP,
    TALK TO YOUR TEACHER

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Do your homework...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

laura* wrote: »
    i could NEVER write a good essay
    I hated them, probs cause we didnt do enough,
    but then again, it is just a personal sorta thing,
    you can either write, or you can't!!

THEN 2 weeks before my lc,
    i FINALLY found my good writing style,
    with the guidence of my brill teacher :D:D:D

i handed up 3 personal essays and got an A1 in one of them

Way-Hey! good for you laura! were you able to use any of them in the exam or did you write off the cuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coolcailin

• get grinds!!!
    • do your homework
    • dont just do 25 min of study the morning of the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

Way-Hey! good for you laura! were you able to use any of them in the exam or did you write off the cuff?

Thanks

i gota use 2 pharagraphs from diff essays in ma lc one :D

was well pleased !

however,
    in paper 2,
    i later realised i wrote a pharagraph on a Boland poem,
    instead of a Rich one!
    so not so happy me anymore!
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Listen in class!! It's amazing how much you actually take in! And keep up with revision over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

Organize your notes.
    especially in English and history ,keep them in a folder.
    this way you save a good ten minutes looking for notes and get some decent study done. instead of wandering into the sitting room to watch 'scrubs':rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

study study study....
    The LC is just a memory game.. that's all
    Oh yeah, do your homework!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xsinox

I hated it when 6th yrs said to do a bit each night, but it's actually so true! I left everything to last minute and now i panic before exams!!! I also advise not to go out the sunday BEFORE the exams because you lose a whole day studyin and its just not advised!! I did it and i was so hungover *drink sensibly!* the next day! Also if you feel yourself panicing, i take rescue remedy and it works a gem! but if yuo get worked up about studying and find yourself on the verge of tears, leave it walk away and come back when yuo've calmed down! I know yesterday i was in hysterics studying for history and my mam made me go outside and lsit on the hammock! then when i came back in i was refreshed and felt calmer! If you keep ploughing away you'll get yourself into a worse state! I also advise not to cram in the last 15-20 mins becasue you'll only forget it going into the exam and you'll over do it! But if you have a very good memory keep going with it!! :pac::D well thats my advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

I just finished the leaving cert today

if i had to give advice it would be to keep doing your homework...i know i know its annoying

keep up a good social life...and i wouldn't advise going drinking 2 nights before an exam :(.some people that i know drank a few shots the night before the leaving started to cool the nerves.don't stoop as low as them....actually this will probably be forgotten about by june 2009

i thought that this week has been one of the longest in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Do absolutely nothing for tranisition year and 5th, then panic in 6th year and cover whole course on every subject till you could teach it yourself at xmas then pace yourself till june e-z

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

people told me this stuff over and over and i just didnt do any of it, no matter how much i wanted to. they got to go through it just like we did. all this study advice is much easier said than done since we have the leaving behind us.

I just completely put my leaving off. If I could go back, i'd have done more study for my Xmas exams and done more work in the first term. But that is so hard to do.

(woo...there are foxes fighting outside my house...)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

coolcailin wrote: »
    • get grinds!!!

Grinds are not for everyone. You should only be getting grinds if you really need to stay at the level you are in and can't afford to drop down. Or if you really need the help to bring up our grades because you might not get the points you want.

I am a teacher and see far too many students getting grinds in a HL subject then really they don't need it. They should go to OL and spend the grinds time on other subjects, potentially giving them higher grades them instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

MattD wrote: »
    Just do your homework, properly and completely all year. Study each chapter as it comes and answer questions on it.

Simple, but its all you need. Quick revision then at the end of the year, and itl all come back

Best advice there, I did sweet fuck all study except the night before really and I've done pretty good so far.

The no study method only works if you're shooting for anything up to 450, if you want above that, I guess you really have to hit the books.

teckoda wrote: »
    I'd avoid doing any grinds or revision courses too early in the year

I agree there aswell, did geaogrpahy grinds in Trinity back in February, not only were they **** but I couldn't remember a thing she told us with regards to tips and hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Avoid turning 18 (am, someway.) and spending your saturdays as a legal adult in the pub...:(...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

^ That's the advise I'd also give..

And just a warning Drinking on the weekend in the middle of your Leaving Cert..

Not a good idea :(

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I advise you not to be thinking of the LC already........ Enjoy your summer, do a bit of work up to Christmas, crank it up after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 christine_90

I'd recommend next year's 6th years to not tell the truth in the irish oral. Believe me, i speak from experience: (translated)
    Examiner: So what do you think about the status of irish?
    Me: Well to be honest, it's kind of a dying language... (examiner looks shocked. I can see myself crashing and burning but yet i continue...) Like i mean in twenty years it won't exist. I don't plan on speaking it after the leaving cert. It's a pity but like, it's the truth...
    Examiner: (looks a bit angry) So why do you go to a gaelscoil?
    Me: Uh my sisters went here
    Examiner: Right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

aw thanks for such a nice Thread ..:p thanks guys for sharing ur experience..

um ,ehh, tbh i was more 'scared' to going to 5th yr than now, i don't know like, the reality of going in 6th yr, doing the LC hasn't kick in yet, and i don't know when it will

i was talking to my 6th years frens, they were like the only bit of advice that i would give to you it START STUDYING NOW..

i am just too lazy, i was saying to myself last summer,that i would work hard in 5th yr, and i only ended up kept it up until xmas..i hope i have more determination and get over my laziness

Advertisement